Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Main Forum > Equine Health, Retirement & Aftercare
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 04-03-2009, 01:20 PM
Santa Anita

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riot
Haven't you said you are a PETA member? If so, maybe you could consider no longer financially supporting the useless PETA, and instead consider sending your annual PETA donation to somewhere more useful to ending cases like like, such as Old Friends, etc.
i am not a peta member, never have been . now back to the subject please .
Old 04-03-2009, 01:31 PM
Sam Houston

Quote:
Originally Posted by LARHAGE
I recall the case of Warren's mares as well here in California, he stated he too had no idea they were going to slaughter, the thing is, it doesn't take a rocket scientist in these tough times to know that NOBODY wants a large herd of horses to care for, clean, feed etc... It doesn't make financial sense. I have multiple horses of my own, and believe me, I full well understand the pressure and pinch of feeding them, but you can't just turn your back and walk away, I would have far more respect for someone humanely euthanizing or, yes, even placing a well aimed bullet in the horse's head than to subject them to the pain and agony of starving, becoming weak and ill and God forbid, subjected to the terror of a Mexican slaughter house, the point is these horses didn't asked to be created, when we breeders/owners became their guardians, we took on the responsability of their lives, it's entirely in our respective hands what happens to them from that point onward, and I can tell you as tough as it's been lately for everyone, this plight is still completely unacceptable and downright appalling.
I totally agree (and I also remember the Warren situation). Its very hard for horse operations of all sizes right now (obviously with some notable exceptions) - numerous small time ranches are going under, and the horses are paying the price. Rescues are full to the brim - and I completely agree with euthanasia being a practical choice that far too many people won't consider.
Old 04-03-2009, 01:42 PM
Flemington

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riot
Plenty of people drop their dogs and cats and horses off at animal shelters and rescue places, or simply turn them out in the wild, and once they turn and walk away, they mentally absolve themselves of any more responsibility for what subsequently happens to the animal.

Some few could care less, but the vast majority of these owners care quite a bit. Some people feel guilty of such a thing their entire lives. People do the best they can with the resources they have.

It takes alot of guts to kill an animal who is not old, infirmed, or in pain, just because it isn't wanted by the current owner. And few vets will do that. "Good homes" for these animals are rare to non-existent.

There are too many animals, and not enough owners. Period.
Well( like I said a few weeks ago,) they found a Meth addict running a Min Pin puppy mill out in Riverside, Ca.( shocking!) Their drinking water was filthy, and she had "de-barked" them by incorrectly cutting something in the back of their throats. They advertised on local news shows that they needed homes for them. I would of taken a couple, but they wanted to charge me $300 a piece for them. Rescue means different things to different people. I'm gunna be out plenty taking care of them. Why would I want to be out $600 to start with? There are 2 dogs that could be here in the right set-up for them, but they must not need it badly enough.
Old 04-03-2009, 01:55 PM
Dee Tee Stables

Quote:
Originally Posted by KirisClown
Paragallo's explanation..

"This is Ernie Paragallo and I am writing to let every one know exactly what happened, I really don't care what any one on this board thinks about me but I want to get the facts out there so maybe some good can come from this and maybe it can stop it from happening in the future. The mares that are in question were the lucky one's in this terrible tragedy, there were a total of 24 mares that were given away to a breeder in florida in mid december. These mares were a part of a package of 60 horses that I had advertised with several bloodstock agents and breeding farms, I had offered the barren mares with a free breed back to any of my NY stallions or to my stallion King Of All Storms in florida. All the horses in this package of 60 were offered for free to the Bloodstock agents and farms, of the 60 horses we had given away about 6 to people in NY at a rate of 1-2 horses per person, in December I received a call from a person in florida who said he had received the list from a bloodstock agent and was interested in the horses, I asked how many and he answer ALL. This was a home run for my business we were going to move 60 horses that had limited value to us and were going to get the added benifits of having the mares bred back to our stallions and we had the potential to earn stallion awards for there offspring. Of the 60 horses 24 were barren mares withe breed back options, 13 pregnant mares where we were going to be co-breeders of the off spring, 10 old racehorses that were going to be used as ponies or pleasure/show horses and 13 2 Yo and 3 yo colt and fillies that they were going to race on a 60/40 split of income with then retaining the greater amount and also paying the entire upkeep. In December two vans arrived at our farm and picked up the 24 barren mares, the drivers said they would be back in a couple of days to pick up the rest. After a week we called back the gentleman who had called us but I never got an answer, safe to say he never came back for the rest. This morning I was called by my girlfriend crying to me about what she had been told and had read on the Rescue Website, I immeadiatly called the Rescue Group and try to find out what had happened. After speaking to them they told me that they knew who had sent the horses there and they believed he had done it before, they let me know that 8 horses had been rescued from the killing pen but believed the others had been slaughtered. This made me sick to hear as most of those mares I either foaled or had since they were babies and did not deserve that faith. This is what happened and I believed I had made the proper business decision but it did'nt turn out that way and it was a terrible tragedy. Like I said I don't care what any one thinks about me because you can not make me feel any worse about myself than I already feel. I have never sent a horse to the killer and I have never mistreated any horse i have ever own, I have gone to great lenghts to keep horses alive even when vets have told me to put them down, I was told by one of the most knowledgeable horsemen I know if they are eating and moving around and look happy there is no reason in the world to put them down."

need he say more than what i bolded? he may have told himself it was a 'home run' because it was soooo easy for him to get rid of horses of 'no value'. but we all know that if it sounds too good to be true, it IS! way to go ernie. you're a gem.
Old 04-03-2009, 01:56 PM
Dee Tee Stables

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuffolkGirl
Free to a (good) home is generally not a good idea for re-homing an animal.
\

especially when it's 60 free to a good home. outrageous and absolutely disgusting.
Old 04-03-2009, 01:59 PM
Dee Tee Stables

Quote:
I recall the case of Warren's mares as well here in California, he stated he too had no idea they were going to slaughter, the thing is, it doesn't take a rocket scientist in these tough times to know that NOBODY wants a large herd of horses to care for, clean, feed etc... It doesn't make financial sense. I have multiple horses of my own, and believe me, I full well understand the pressure and pinch of feeding them, but you can't just turn your back and walk away, I would have far more respect for someone humanely euthanizing or, yes, even placing a well aimed bullet in the horse's head than to subject them to the pain and agony of starving, becoming weak and ill and God forbid, subjected to the terror of a Mexican slaughter house, the point is these horses didn't asked to be created, when we breeders/owners became their guardians, we took on the responsability of their lives, it's entirely in our respective hands what happens to them from that point onward, and I can tell you as tough as it's been lately for everyone, this plight is still completely unacceptable and downright appalling.
people turn a blind eye, so easy to absolve yourself of wrongdoing when you turn your hands palm up and innocently roll your eyes, while saying 'i thought it was ok. i thought i found a good, (free) home for some unwanted (60!!) horses. i can't afford to feed them, i had too many (but the guy taking them doesn't??).
Old 04-03-2009, 02:01 PM
Dee Tee Stables

my daughter called two days ago, she and a friend were out riding back roads and came upon an old cemetary. they got out to look around, read old dates on tombstones. there were two half starved horses wandering around the cemetary. she called me to ask advice. i told her to call the police and the humane society. she went back yesterday and the two were gone, so i hope they picked them up. she had been volunteering part time at the animal shelter, so hopefully they can find out if the two got picked up.
i told her they were probably let loose by the owners.
Old 04-03-2009, 02:01 PM
The Curragh

Question

When one of these large transfers/transactions of horses occurs, are there manifests and bill of sale/donation/or transfer of ownership? Does anyone know?
Old 04-03-2009, 02:02 PM
Jerome Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danzig
\

especially when it's 60 free to a good home. outrageous and absolutely disgusting.

very true Zig. How the heck did he not know what was going to happen? Now he's coming off as sounding very ignorant in that note.

this is a very sad story.
Old 04-03-2009, 02:06 PM
Dee Tee Stables

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antitrust32
very true Zig. How the heck did he not know what was going to happen? Now he's coming off as sounding very ignorant in that note.

this is a very sad story.
you'll never convince me he didn't have a thought it wasn't on the up and up. but he chose to give them all away anyhow, didn't he? turn away and ignore his conscience.
Old 04-03-2009, 03:04 PM
Pimlico

Quote:
Exactly! This is so similar to the Warren case -- he thought he was giving his pregnant mares to an up-and-up horseman, who would race the offspring. Warren also saw this as a "home run" as he got to unload unwanted stock and he could still get breeders' awards if the offspring were successful at the track.

Very few people believed Warren then. I doubt that many are going to believe Paragallo now.
Old 04-03-2009, 05:46 PM
Coach Pants

"I don't care what you peons on the forum think...but I'm going to explain myself anyways because I've been caught redhanded and, contrary to popular belief, have a conscience (but only when something I've done wrong is made public and can harm me financially)."
Old 04-03-2009, 05:57 PM
Steve Byk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach Pants
"I don't care what you peons on the forum think...but I'm going to explain myself anyways because I've been caught redhanded and, contrary to popular belief, have a conscience (but only when something I've done wrong is made public and can harm me financially)."
Old 04-03-2009, 05:58 PM
Woodbine

Quote:
Old 04-03-2009, 06:05 PM
Delaware Park

Quote:

:

Right on all points.
Old 04-03-2009, 06:28 PM
Fairgrounds

Some new stuff...

http://www.paulickreport.com/blog/va...ing-skeletons/
Old 04-03-2009, 06:31 PM
Belmont Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kasept
I wouldn't be so sure....
Old 04-03-2009, 06:34 PM
Dee Tee Stables

"We keep our barren mares on the light side," Paragallo told the Paulick Report. "They’re out in big fields, about 80 acres. We used to give them big round bales, but you can’t get those in New York anymore, so we feed the equivalent of half a regular bale to each horse per day; the horses are getting between 22 1/2 and 25 pounds per day. Some of those horses might get their ass kicked and are a little skinnier. We don’t check them every day.

but i'm betting he gets three squares a day.
Old 04-03-2009, 06:37 PM
Dee Tee Stables

The breeder promised to breed the mares to Paraneck stallions, giving Paragallo the opportunity to receive future stallion awards, he wrote.
Paragallo said he didn’t have the name of the Florida breeder and was unaware of what happened to the horses after he said a van picked them up in December.

so, the guy, whose name paragallo didn't even know, was going to call paragallo to set up all these breedings? or was the stud farm fairy going to handle all of the details? this sounds like a bunch of ish to me.
Old 04-03-2009, 06:37 PM
Belmont Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danzig
"We keep our barren mares on the light side," Paragallo told the Paulick Report. "They’re out in big fields, about 80 acres. We used to give them big round bales, but you can’t get those in New York anymore, so we feed the equivalent of half a regular bale to each horse per day; the horses are getting between 22 1/2 and 25 pounds per day. Some of those horses might get their ass kicked and are a little skinnier. We don’t check them every day.

but i'm betting he gets three squares a day.
I doubt he purposely did any of this its fricken horse food