Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Sports Bar & Grill
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 06-16-2006, 08:46 PM
Santa Anita

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCUDSBROTHER
Nice to see Striker playing well.Reminds me of a 80k claimer running for 6,250.It ain't about whether the thing is gunna fall apart,but when it will do that. Unfortunately,he is mentally diseased.Not a thing wrong with his game.
Stricker's always been a good player. Golf was never a top priority with him. Even full time he never played an overabundance of events and when his wife started having kids and stopped caddying for him, I think his interest waned further. He's playing very well this year. Doesn't have his full time card the last two years and has made about 600 grand on tour this year in only 5 events and he ran away with the sectional qualifier in Chicago shooting something like 63. He's loaded with top 10 finishes in majors. A top 10 in the Masters, two top 5's in the US Open and a 2nd at the PGA. Winning the World Match Play is nice as well even though the field was depleted for the event that year when it was held in Australia. He beat some nice players in that event including Harrington amongst others.

But a guy with multiple PGA tour wins, several top 10s in majors, 9 million in career earnings is hardly an 80k claimer. It is likely he'll fall apart, but I think he is a more likely major winner than Ben Curtis and Todd Hamilton were. You never know.
Old 06-17-2006, 04:44 AM
Flemington

Quote:
Originally Posted by horseofcourse
Stricker's always been a good player. Golf was never a top priority with him. Even full time he never played an overabundance of events and when his wife started having kids and stopped caddying for him, I think his interest waned further. He's playing very well this year. Doesn't have his full time card the last two years and has made about 600 grand on tour this year in only 5 events and he ran away with the sectional qualifier in Chicago shooting something like 63. He's loaded with top 10 finishes in majors. A top 10 in the Masters, two top 5's in the US Open and a 2nd at the PGA. Winning the World Match Play is nice as well even though the field was depleted for the event that year when it was held in Australia. He beat some nice players in that event including Harrington amongst others.

But a guy with multiple PGA tour wins, several top 10s in majors, 9 million in career earnings is hardly an 80k claimer. It is likely he'll fall apart, but I think he is a more likely major winner than Ben Curtis and Todd Hamilton were. You never know.
Well,he has talent.Guy lost his card because he was mentally weak.I remember when it happened.He needed to make the cut at the last full field event,and couldn't do it.He said he didn't know what to say.Said he wasn't going to Tour School though.So,this stuff about not being able to play that much is B.S.The guy refused to simply go get his card back at Q SCHOOL.OBVIOUSLY NOTHING HAS BEEN WRONG WITH HIS GAME,and he is getting some confidence back.I will be happy for him if he wins,but the reason he lost his card was blamed on poor driving.So,now he wins on the most demanding driving set up they play?DOUBT IT,BUT yes.I would like to see him win it.
Old 06-17-2006, 04:51 AM
Flemington

"Golf was never a top priority with him. Even full time he never played an overabundance of events and when his wife started having kids and stopped caddying for him, I think his interest waned further."

Again..mentally weak.Look at this guy named Brant Jobe.Plenty of game.Mental weakling though.How can you shoot that well that often,and continually go away on the weekend? Amazing.
Old 06-17-2006, 03:52 PM
Flemington

Hang in there ya fat Ferrie.
Old 06-17-2006, 06:11 PM
Flemington

Quote:
Originally Posted by horseofcourse

A 76 on Saturday. I know the mentally handicapped .
Old 06-18-2006, 07:34 PM
5'8".. but all man!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GPK
That was why I like Ogilvy...hes normally rock solid, emotions wise.
I believe this was after the first round...
Old 06-18-2006, 07:35 PM
5'8".. but all man!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GPK
Scuds...I put $$ on 3 players

D. Howell at 16-1 (clearly Europes best chance)
G. Olgivy at 18-1
C. Montgomerie at 20-1

18-1 after the first round I got this guy at....
Old 06-18-2006, 07:47 PM
Del Mar

Nice Kev, did you have $20 on him?

I feel bad for Phil today. Even I cant say that finish made me happy. I didnt want to see the slob win but I didnt want to see him lose like that.
Old 06-18-2006, 07:53 PM
5'8".. but all man!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gander
Nice Kev, did you have $20 on him?

I feel bad for Phil today. Even I cant say that finish made me happy. I didnt want to see the slob win but I didnt want to see him lose like that.
I don't like Phil, but I refuse to say anything bad about him today. The pressure in that situation is unreal. He played well all week, but just made a really stupid mistake on 18. After 50+ majors played and 3 wins, you have to know better.
Old 06-18-2006, 07:55 PM
pgardn

Kev how could you possible put money on mentally weak players?

I mean for God's sake, its not like the ball ever rolls the wrong way randomly. The famous Scudsian sports psychiatry clearly states... Jezz Louise that thing could have gone many different ways??? Does it ever say that?

Does everybody in California listen too instructional I LIKE ME tapes?

A few jabs to the face to get the hands high, and then an upper cut to the ribs. Thats called ribbing.
Old 06-19-2006, 06:27 AM
Santa Anita

Quote:
A 76 on Saturday. I know the mentally handicapped .
Yeah, but he'll be playing in the Masters and US Open in 2007 with his full time PGA card back in hand. I wish I was mentally handicapped at the game as he is.
Old 06-19-2006, 06:41 AM
Flemington

He has a ton of talent,but is a consistent choker.You wish you had his talent,and somebody else's mind.Guy wants to win that crappy Milwaukee open so badly,but chokes every damn year on that simple set-up on that muni course.
Old 06-19-2006, 06:49 AM
Santa Anita

Quote:
Well,he has talent.Guy lost his card because he was mentally weak.I remember when it happened.He needed to make the cut at the last full field event,and couldn't do it.He said he didn't know what to say.Said he wasn't going to Tour School though.So,this stuff about not being able to play that much is B.S.The guy refused to simply go get his card back at Q SCHOOL.OBVIOUSLY NOTHING HAS BEEN WRONG WITH HIS GAME,and he is getting some confidence back.I will be happy for him if he wins,but the reason he lost his card was blamed on poor driving.So,now he wins on the most demanding driving set up they play?DOUBT IT,BUT yes.I would like to see him win it.
FActs are he lost his card after 2004 season. He was 183,000 short of top 125, he needed to do a heckuva lot more than just make the cut. That means he needed to finish top 3 in last full field event to retain his card. He got in 21 events last year on past champion status, sponsor exemptions etc which is pretty much what he played with his card. His schedule when he was playing well in late 90s through 2003 was always 20-22 events per year. He did not play a lot then. He could have played more but he chose not too. He did go to Q school in 2005 as the longer you go without your card, the harder it is to get sponsor expemptions, so 2004 was the only year he didn't go to Q school and as I said he got into plenty of events as it was. He was like 3 shots short of qualifying this year.

I really don't know about his mental handicaps, but making 9 million dollars playing golf is really a nice mental handicap to have.