Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Sports Bar & Grill
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 01-03-2009, 09:53 AM
Delaware Park

Cool To all bcs lovers UTAH champ end of story!

Thats right Utah is champ its over in my opinion. The bcs chump game means nothing and heres why. First and most important of all they are the only UNDEFEATED team left! They beat everyone on schedule even alabama who no one gave them a chance. Not just beat them, it wasn't even close. To all you who thought the underdog didn't deserve a chance, explain to me now why not! Second lets look at who bama beat. Bama beat ole miss who beat FLORIDA. Sorry florida you can't be champ you can be bcs chump! You have a loss and your not UNDEFEATED! As for oklahoma, they beat texas tech who beat texas, texas who beat OKLAHOMA on neutral field. Anyone tell me who beat texas tech yesterday? Thats right ole miss. So its over UTAH is champ. They beat the so called big boy and are undefeated! Congrats UTAH on an undefeated season and national championship. As for you sooner and gator fans, have fun battling out in bcs chump game. Your excuses for being national champ have left the building!
Old 01-03-2009, 10:03 AM
Coach Pants

How about having an opinion before the game is played, douchenozzle?
Old 01-03-2009, 06:37 PM
Delaware Park

Smile

I talked about it a long time ago. Wish I had money on utah. Just happy to see utah win and prove people they can play against the big old bad bama. Their undefeated and champs. Can't play anyone else because the bcs will not let them play in chump game. Face it the bcs is a joke. Whoever wins the bcs chump game. Is not champ they loss and UTAH is UNDEFEATED! Congrats utes and boo hoo to sooner and gator idiots! You don't deserve to be champ, but you can be the CHUMP of the BS bowl system!
Old 01-03-2009, 07:14 PM
pgardn

Quote:
Originally Posted by nebrady
Thats right Utah is champ its over in my opinion. The bcs chump game means nothing and heres why. First and most important of all they are the only UNDEFEATED team left! They beat everyone on schedule even alabama who no one gave them a chance. Not just beat them, it wasn't even close. To all you who thought the underdog didn't deserve a chance, explain to me now why not! Second lets look at who bama beat. Bama beat ole miss who beat FLORIDA. Sorry florida you can't be champ you can be bcs chump! You have a loss and your not UNDEFEATED! As for oklahoma, they beat texas tech who beat texas, texas who beat OKLAHOMA on neutral field. Anyone tell me who beat texas tech yesterday? Thats right ole miss. So its over UTAH is champ. They beat the so called big boy and are undefeated! Congrats UTAH on an undefeated season and national championship. As for you sooner and gator fans, have fun battling out in bcs chump game. Your excuses for being national champ have left the building!
the ole who beat who seven times removed leading to Slippery Rock conquering the New York Giants.

If Utah played in:
SEC
Big 12
Pac-10
Big 10
ACC

There is NO WAY they would be undefeated.

They should have lost to TCU, got very lucky.
TCU was crushed by Oklahoma.
Old 01-03-2009, 08:24 PM
Dee Tee Stables

amazing how much effort some put into something, and it really means nothing. fact is the current system is the way it is, and only okla or fla can win the title this year. big freaking deal. the sun will rise tomorrow.
Old 01-03-2009, 11:23 PM
Bowie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danzig
amazing how much effort some put into something, and it really means nothing. fact is the current system is the way it is, and only okla or fla can win the title this year. big freaking deal. the sun will rise tomorrow.
You are exactly right. The only game that counts is on the 8th. All the other bowl games are glorified scrimmages that, when you think about it, mean absoutly nothing....
Old 01-04-2009, 01:01 AM
Dee Tee Stables

none of them count, but fun to watch some football. i just don't understand why people get so worked up about who wins, or how. now, i enjoyed lsu winning last year, but i wouldn't have gotten crazy if they hadn't. or if they got 'cheated' somehow, it's just silly. like when auburn got left out a few years back-it's sort of like being the 21st horse on the graded earnings list...no matter how many get in, someone gets left out. and the thing is, the playoff system in the nfl is no guarantee that the right teams get in-a team without a winning record got in this year, while a team that went 11-5 got left out. that's life.
Old 01-04-2009, 06:00 PM
Bowie

Quote:
none of them count, but fun to watch some football. i just don't understand why people get so worked up about who wins, or how. now, i enjoyed lsu winning last year, but i wouldn't have gotten crazy if they hadn't. or if they got 'cheated' somehow, it's just silly. like when auburn got left out a few years back-it's sort of like being the 21st horse on the graded earnings list...no matter how many get in, someone gets left out. and the thing is, the playoff system in the nfl is no guarantee that the right teams get in-a team without a winning record got in this year, while a team that went 11-5 got left out. that's life.
hmmmm, I'm kinda lost at what you are saying now. One bowl does count, the championship game. The others are for pride only. In any organized sport, you work your tail off to win a title and be the best in your league. As it stands now, we don't have that in college football. Just think if they did this in the NFL. The Giants wouldn't have had the opportunity to win the SB last year. Of course some teams would be left out, but at the same time, teams in the NFL have numerous chances during the regular season to win and get in. Lose one game in college reg season, and it ends up being the luck of a vote.
You can make a case for 6-10 teams in college. Yet only 2 get that opportunity. Keep in mind, this is coming from an OU fan....
Old 01-04-2009, 06:31 PM
Turf Paradise

Default irrelevant Bowl games

Quote:
one thing the college format does (and wrongfully IMHO) is make a qualitative judgment regarding the various conferences. Utah never was given a fair shake simply because it is not from a "major" conference, ie, SEC, Pac10, Big 12, etc. If Utah can't make the BCS Championship game when it goes undefeated it never will, in theory. Florida and OU both had losses yet they are playing for that mythical championship. Utah should be in that game if they are considered a major college team.
Old 01-04-2009, 06:58 PM
Dee Tee Stables

Quote:
Originally Posted by hurricanefrank
one thing the college format does (and wrongfully IMHO) is make a qualitative judgment regarding the various conferences. Utah never was given a fair shake simply because it is not from a "major" conference, ie, SEC, Pac10, Big 12, etc. If Utah can't make the BCS Championship game when it goes undefeated it never will, in theory. Florida and OU both had losses yet they are playing for that mythical championship. Utah should be in that game if they are considered a major college team.
you're right...they don't all get a fair shake. it's why osu starts out most years high up in the polls. it explains why, a few years ago, michigan was picked by many to play osu again for the title, instead of florida. maybe utah should have been given more credit. but it's hard to say without trying. last year for instance, many thought hawaii was for real, and deserved a top spot since they were undefeated. i was one of those who thought they were overhyped, and felt georgia exposed them in the bowl game.
Old 01-04-2009, 06:59 PM
Dee Tee Stables

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverRP
hmmmm, I'm kinda lost at what you are saying now. One bowl does count, the championship game. The others are for pride only. In any organized sport, you work your tail off to win a title and be the best in your league. As it stands now, we don't have that in college football. Just think if they did this in the NFL. The Giants wouldn't have had the opportunity to win the SB last year. Of course some teams would be left out, but at the same time, teams in the NFL have numerous chances during the regular season to win and get in. Lose one game in college reg season, and it ends up being the luck of a vote.
You can make a case for 6-10 teams in college. Yet only 2 get that opportunity. Keep in mind, this is coming from an OU fan....
yeah, that one does count-to a point. just that a lot of folks don't like how they narrow it down to two teams to play for the title. regardless of what anyone else does, only one of them can win the title.
Old 01-04-2009, 07:09 PM
Atlantic City Race Course

Quote:

what NFL team got in without a winning record? The Cardinals were 9-7. That is a winning record.. even if the cheating crybaby Patriots won more games. The Cardinals were not below .500

Yeah Utah played a bunch of soup cans
They wouldn't even be .500 if they were in the SEC
or Big Ten +1 for that matter

Old 01-04-2009, 07:11 PM
Dee Tee Stables

Quote:
Originally Posted by AeWingnut
what NFL team got in without a winning record? The Cardinals were 9-7. That is a winning record.. even if the cheating crybaby Patriots won more games. The Cardinals were not below .500

san diego was 8-8. and i think utah played several ranked teams. all of them play some lightweights.
Old 01-04-2009, 07:16 PM
Arlington Park

i like the current rube goldberg system for determining a college football champion. it's not perfect, but i'm sure we can look forward to the ncaa again tweaking things to make it moderatly less retarded.

i'm in favor of adding more computer rankings, then dropping those at the extremes and factoring in astrology.

if they actually went to a playoff system, wtf would we talk about?
Old 01-04-2009, 07:19 PM
pgardn

Quote:
Originally Posted by hi_im_god

if they actually went to a playoff system, wtf would we talk about?
why Utah got left out of the playoffs...
Old 01-04-2009, 07:45 PM
Bowie

[quote=hi_im_god]i like the current rube goldberg system for determining a college football champion. it's not perfect, but i'm sure we can look forward to the ncaa again tweaking things to make it moderatly less retarded.

i'm in favor of adding more computer rankings, then dropping those at the extremes and factoring in astrology.

if they actually went to a playoff system, wtf would we talk about?[/QUOTE]

That's the sad part in all of this. The guys in charge don't think there would be anything to talk about if they go to a playoff, or at least that's what they are saying. Let's not try to make college football halfway credible., Let's not make it even better. Let's stay status quo and throw a bunch of BS out there. Come on, let's just go ahead and have bowl games for college basketball. How would that work?? It's a joke, everyone knows it, but until people quit going to games and quit turning the tv's on, it's staying the same.
Old 01-04-2009, 07:46 PM
Hialeah Park

Why does anyone care what happens with Utah. It isn't like they matter. They have no black athletes and they contribute very little to the world. This isn't Florida or Texas. These are insignificant little states that have been fighting like useless animals for thousands of years.

Thanks QC..that was easy
Old 01-04-2009, 10:59 PM
Atlantic City Race Course

Quote:
Originally Posted by AeWingnut

After watching how they easily handled Alabama, who was 1.000 in the SEC, I'd have to think that this statement is very wrong. They weren't a fluke team this year. I admittedly didn't think they were as good as their record and it's likely that playing an SEC schedule week in and week out might have given them a couple of losses but they were more than good enough to be a plus .500 team in the SEC and they likely would have WON the Big 10.
Manila, Java Gold, Alysheba, Sunday Silence, Go for Wand, In Excess, Paseana, Kotashaan, Holy Bull, Cigar, Alphabet Soup, Formal Gold, Skip Away, Artax, Tiznow, Point Given, Azeri, Candy Ride, Smarty Jones, Ghostzapper, Invasor, Curlin, Zenyatta, Zenyatta, Goldikova, Havre de Grace, Wise Dan, Wise Dan, California Chrome, American Pharoah, Arrogate, Gun Runner, Accelerate, Maximum Security, Gamine
Old 01-05-2009, 09:15 AM
Delaware Park

Hear is the one fact you need to remember: UTAH is UNDEFEATED no one else can say that! The bcs commissioners made them play alabama thinking they would get beat up. Wrong they beat up bama and made the bcs look foolish. Its a chump game, because you go undefeated you deserve to play in the championship game. I'm never calling it the championship game its the biggest joke their is in sports. Why is the winner of the chump game champ? When usc and texas (if they win) will have just as many loses and one of them even beat ou. Its time for these bcs commissioners to give up their money and have a playoff. The bowl systems is a joke and those games don't even sellout. You watch the chump game and think the winner is champ, its utah end of story! Hopefully soon end of this bcs garbage!
Old 01-05-2009, 09:22 AM
Oriental Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by nebrady
Hear is the one fact you need to remember: UTAH is UNDEFEATED no one else can say that! The bcs commissioners made them play alabama thinking they would get beat up. Wrong they beat up bama and made the bcs look foolish. Its a chump game, because you go undefeated you deserve to play in the championship game. I'm never calling it the championship game its the biggest joke their is in sports. Why is the winner of the chump game champ? When usc and texas (if they win) will have just as many loses and one of them even beat ou. Its time for these bcs commissioners to give up their money and have a playoff. The bowl systems is a joke and those games don't even sellout. You watch the chump game and think the winner is champ, its utah end of story! Hopefully soon end of this bcs garbage!

If the president elect says it's time for a playoff , and he can't influence the powers to be , then it will never change

Does anyone think Utah could win the AP vote out of curiosity?