Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Sports Bar & Grill
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-02-2009, 09:11 PM
Hialeah Park

Default Manning..MVP?

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3805670
Old 01-02-2009, 09:12 PM
Dee Tee Stables

i really think the rookie of the year should have gotten it. atlanta is completely turned around from what they were a year ago, and i think their QB is the main reason why. but who can argue with peyton really?
Old 01-02-2009, 09:22 PM
Flemington

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danzig
i really think the rookie of the year should have gotten it. atlanta is completely turned around from what they were a year ago, and i think their QB is the main reason why. but who can argue with peyton really?
Not to take anything away from Matt Ryan, but Michael Turner has been instrumental in the turn around too. I think he was 2nd in the leauge in yards and TD's. He's the one who opened up the field for Matt Ryan.
Old 01-02-2009, 09:27 PM
Hialeah Park

I'd have voted for Pennington but have no problem with Manning winning it.
Old 01-02-2009, 10:06 PM
Sha Tin

Pennington finishes in a tie for 2nd in the MVP vote but doesnt make the pro bowl?
Old 01-02-2009, 10:10 PM
Hialeah Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cannon Shell
Pennington finishes in a tie for 2nd in the MVP vote but doesnt make the pro bowl?
Has there ever been a Pro Bowl QB until this year that hasn't thrown more TDs than INTs?
Old 01-02-2009, 10:10 PM
Del Mar

Quote:
Originally Posted by SniperSB23
I'd have voted for Pennington but have no problem with Manning winning it.
Same here.
Old 01-02-2009, 10:11 PM
Hialeah Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaTH716
Not to take anything away from Matt Ryan, but Michael Turner has been instrumental in the turn around too. I think he was 2nd in the leauge in yards and TD's. He's the one who opened up the field for Matt Ryan.
Couldnt agree more. If anyone deserves MVP consideration from that team it's Burner Turner. You are correct, he was 2nd in the league in rushing and TD's.

Coach of the Year could go in many directions as well. This wasnt the year of the run away, clear cut winner in the awards categories, IMO.
"A person who saw no important difference between the fire outside a Neandrathal's cave and a working thermo-nuclear reactor might tell you that junk bonds and derivatives BOTH serve to energize capital"

- Nathan Israel
Old 01-02-2009, 10:17 PM
Flemington

Quote:
Originally Posted by declansharbor
Couldnt agree more. If anyone deserves MVP consideration from that team it's Burner Turner. You are correct, he was 2nd in the league in rushing and TD's.

Coach of the Year could go in many directions as well. This wasnt the year of the run away, clear cut winner in the awards categories, IMO.
I think it's a 2 horse race between, Smith and Sparano.
Old 01-02-2009, 10:17 PM
Sha Tin

Quote:

C'mon that is easy....Coach Pants in a landslide
Old 01-02-2009, 10:21 PM
Hialeah Park

Quote:
I think it's a 2 horse race between, Smith and Sparano.
With Harbaugh being the darkhorse. But your right, it's essentially a match race. I'd have to give the slightest of nods to Smith.
"A person who saw no important difference between the fire outside a Neandrathal's cave and a working thermo-nuclear reactor might tell you that junk bonds and derivatives BOTH serve to energize capital"

- Nathan Israel
Old 01-02-2009, 10:24 PM
Hialeah Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cannon Shell
C'mon that is easy....Coach Pants in a landslide
What was I thinking? Your right...The man definitely knows his $hit, thats for damn sure.

- Nathan Israel
Old 01-02-2009, 10:27 PM
Flemington

Quote:
With Harbaugh being the darkhorse. But your right, it's essentially a match race. I'd have to give the slightest of nods to Smith.
Harbaugh gets honorable mention, but he inherited one of the best defenses in the leauge. I want to say Smith too, but to win the division after being 1-15 the year before is pretty impressive. There was a big turn around on defense and also not being afraid to bring the wildcat formation to the table on offense like they did. So I will say it goes to Sparano.
Old 01-02-2009, 10:29 PM
Hialeah Park

Mike Singletary, anytime you show your ass to your players and they go 5-2 down the stretch you should be a lock.
Old 01-02-2009, 10:42 PM
Hialeah Park

Quote:
Harbaugh gets honorable mention, but he inherited one of the best defenses in the leauge. I want to say Smith too, but to win the division after being 1-15 the year before is pretty impressive. There was a big turn around on defense and also not being afraid to bring the wildcat formation to the table on offense like they did. So I will say it goes to Sparano.
Yeah, its a tough one no doubt. I'd go Smith if I had a gun to the head. Neither turn around was expected to happen first year like this. I feel that if ATL won the NFC SOuth and not the wildcard, it's Smith without a doubt.(i'm a tad biased, he took a liking to Brent Grimes last year when he was DC, promoted him from practice squad last year and made him a starter in the offseason before he tweaked his hammy the week he was to play his hometown Birds). Sparano took a 1-15 team in ARGUABLY the toughest division in football, and won the damn thing. Dead heat maybe?

Fisher would have been in the mix had his team not went 1-2 in the last 3. The loss @ Houston took care of that debate. One look at their recieving core, and you really find it amazing. Gage was out for awhile too. I know it was the defense and running game that got them here, but still a great job nonetheless.

- Nathan Israel

Last edited by declansharbor : 01-02-2009 at 10:58 PM.
Old 01-02-2009, 10:49 PM
Hialeah Park

Quote:
Mike Singletary, anytime you show your ass to your players and they go 5-2 down the stretch you should be a lock.
I was playing poker @ the Taj when I looked up and seen the clip of Jed York retaining Singletary and giving him the game ball. ALl of the players went wolvey bezerk style. Chills rushed down my back. I'm talking Rocky II chills when Rocky gets up and Creed collapses. Good for him, they'll be alright.

- Nathan Israel
Old 01-02-2009, 10:56 PM
Havre de Grace

Quote:

LOL, you're right! But I'd have to go with Smith cuz Atlanta's fans are nuts right now and the City is breatheing new air now that the teams' situation has turned around from last year.
Old 01-02-2009, 11:18 PM
Del Mar

I guess Manning was the default award winner. Forget giving the award to someone that actually might deserve it. Just make the safe choice. Thats why i hate the med

Forget what Pennington did for Miami this year. Forget Michael Turner. Forget Polamalu or Ray Lewis or Phillip Rivers or anyone else. Just give it to manning...no one will argue about it.

I hate it when the media makes the selections.
Old 01-02-2009, 11:20 PM
Hialeah Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalakhani
I guess Manning was the default award winner. Forget giving the award to someone that actually might deserve it. Just make the safe choice. Thats why i hate the med

Forget what Pennington did for Miami this year. Forget Michael Turner. Forget Polamalu or Ray Lewis or Phillip Rivers or anyone else. Just give it to manning...no one will argue about it.

I hate it when the media makes the selections.
Better when the coaches and player make them and Jason Peters winds up a starter in the Pro Bowl and Bret Favre makes it over Chad Pennington.
Old 01-02-2009, 11:21 PM
Goodwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalakhani

I hate it when the media makes the selections
sounds kind of like the BCS