Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Main Forum > The Paddock
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-11-2006, 10:05 PM
Atlantic City Race Course

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2MinsToPost

I'll take Oracle in my corner any day of the week.

Not so long ago I would have shunned at this thought, but I am finally starting to understand who he is and can't wait to meet him in person.
For what it's worth, I could not agree more. Once I got over the loathing, which was a result of misunderstanding his general tone, I don't know many better people to have around on a forum like this.
Old 12-12-2006, 02:33 PM
Flemington

We Wuv You,Oracle.
Old 12-13-2006, 01:39 AM
Atlantic City Race Course

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Glorious
Turf racing in America is on it's death bed with the emergence of JunkTrack. Whereas the turf used to be inhabited by those the couldn't handle dirt, why would anyone want to race their grass horses on grass anymore when they are going to be able to win all the major "dirt" races? It's going to be so hilarious watching Saint Stephen and The Tin Man coming down to the wire in the Hollywood Gold Cup.
Half Heaven strikes again on Polytrack
By BYRON KING
Half Heaven was a good horse on turf for her first 18 races. On Polytrack, she is apparently in a completely different class.

Saturday at Turfway Park in the $50,000 My Charmer Stakes, Half Heaven recorded her second stakes victory in as many starts on the surface, defeating My Chickadee by a half-length. Stalking the pace in second early, she surged to a length lead in midstretch, and held on late under jockey Miguel Mena. She raced 1 1/16 miles in 1:42.95, paying $7.40 as the narrow favorite in the field of 10.

Her victory in the My Charmer followed a score in the River Memories Stakes over Woodbine's Polytrack surface on Oct. 28. Dale Romans trains the winner for owner Frank Stronach, who purchased Half Heaven, a 4-year-old daughter of Regal Classic, for $180,000 at Fasig Tipton's November selected mixed sale. The My Charmer victory improved her record to 6 wins from 20 starts and boosted her earnings to $277,461.
__________________________________________________ ______________________________
______

Turf mares try to switch to synthetic
By STEVE ANDERSEN
INGLEWOOD, Calif. - How the turf mares Blue Cay and Vatchesvendetta handle the transition to racing on a synthetic surface is likely to determine the outcome of an optional claimer for California-breds at Hollywood Park on Thursday.

Both Blue Cay and Vatchesvendetta have run well on turf in recent starts, but have not raced on Hollywood Park's new synthetic surface. Judging from the way they are training, the experiment is worth a gamble, according to their respective trainers.

The optional claimer carries a purse of $46,000 and is run at 1 1/16 miles.

Blue Cay, who may go favored, was promoted from second to first after being bothered during a $32,000 claiming race at a mile on turf at the Oak Tree at Santa Anita meeting on Oct. 12, her most recent start. It was the third win of the year for the 5-year-old Blue Cay, who was claimed for $40,000 at Hollywood Park last May by a partnership and trainer Mike Mitchell.

Mitchell said he has observed other trainers having success with their turf horses on the synthetic track, "So why not try it? She works great on it. I want see how she does."
Manila, Java Gold, Alysheba, Sunday Silence, Go for Wand, In Excess, Paseana, Kotashaan, Holy Bull, Cigar, Alphabet Soup, Formal Gold, Skip Away, Artax, Tiznow, Point Given, Azeri, Candy Ride, Smarty Jones, Ghostzapper, Invasor, Curlin, Zenyatta, Zenyatta, Goldikova, Havre de Grace, Wise Dan, Wise Dan, California Chrome, American Pharoah, Arrogate, Gun Runner, Accelerate, Maximum Security, Gamine
Old 12-13-2006, 09:02 AM
Gulfstream Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cannon Shell
I have degrees in Accounting and Animal Science. And I did recant my football player in sult
I thought most trainers who had double degrees had one in chemistry. I think Dutrow graduated with honors in it.
Old 12-13-2006, 11:13 AM
The_Guy_Smiley

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmayjr

Guys... in the bend it's gonna take years of speculation,
denials, and trends to truly see if Poly is any safer than dirt.
Any improvements towards safety should not rest solely on the racing surface.
Improvements to the starting gate has long been overlooked.

For those of us who watch the head-on replays of the starts,
it's laughable that absolutely nothing was done
after Barbaro "gate breakthrough" in the Preakness
only to reload and severly injure himself on National Television.

It's only a matter of time before the gate comes into play
in another major televised race.

Sad but true.