Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Main Forum > The Paddock
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-02-2009, 09:31 PM
Oriental Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackthroatedwind
It's not about Jon White. He has earned the right to have a strong opinion and he was hardly embarrassed today.

The bottom line is that Hold That Bird saved us from enduring a lot of falsehoods about what would have been a dramatically misunderstood result.
Doesn't this belong in the "Jon White sucks thread" from last week?
Old 05-02-2009, 09:31 PM
Randwyck

Quote:
If it wasn't for Mine That Bird's inscutable effort today, we would have seen three relative mediocrities hit the wire together in one of the slowest KY Derbies in modern history. Now, instead of endlessly hearing about how wonderful a horse Pioneer of the Nile is, and one that only synthetic haters failed to see the obvious greatness of, we can all scratch our heads as to how this otherwise " slow " horse could destroy today's field.

I guess two things happened, the good horses all scratched for various reasons in the weeks leading up to the race and one horse loved the off-going....and the rest just aren't that good or completely didn't show up.
Today's Derby, which had a great deal of promise a month ago, ended up being a shell of its possible self, and one run on a sloppy surface that ultimately answered few questions. But at least it didn't produce a slew of undeserved accolades. For that I am thankful.
Who would be in the category of completely didn't show up?
POTN ended up in front of 17 other horses on a surface he wasn't supposed to perform well on according to many detractors and not only does that question still remain unanswered(whether synthetic is a preferred surface or a negligible factor) but a case could be made for him as much as any horse in the field that he didn't show up and run his best race.
Old 05-02-2009, 09:34 PM
pgardn

Quote:
Please don't quote Pgarden....it completely defeats the purpose of the " iggy " button.

Surely I'm one of many here that share that sentiment.
whoa.

I dont think I will sleep tonight.
Old 05-02-2009, 09:48 PM
Oaklawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Port Conway Lane
Who would be in the category of completely didn't show up?
POTN ended up in front of 17 other horses on a surface he wasn't supposed to perform well on according to many detractors and not only does that question still remain unanswered(whether synthetic is a preferred surface or a negligible factor) but a case could be made for him as much as any horse in the field that he didn't show up and run his best race.
you have to remember since QR,IWR scratched it was a race of average horses. But if one of them would have ran and won then all these so-called pros would have said they beat a good field on a tough track. you have to learn to read between the lines.
Old 05-02-2009, 09:49 PM
pgardn

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdjcom
you have to remember since QR,IWR scratched it was a race of average horses. But if one of them would have ran and won then all these so-called pros would have said they beat a good field on a tough track. you have to learn to read between the lines.

I dont think I have ever hit this button.
Wish I had posted this.
Old 05-02-2009, 09:51 PM
Oaklawn

If Mine that Bird had been blocked, etc...Musket Man would have won by a nose via disqualification...
Old 05-02-2009, 09:55 PM
Hialeah Park

what happen to FF?
Old 05-02-2009, 09:56 PM
Formerly 'moodwalker'

Quote:
Originally Posted by geeker2
what happen to FF?
got tired of running.
Old 05-02-2009, 09:56 PM
Churchill Downs

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdjcom
I suppose the ones who didn't handle the track then have to be Dunkirk and West Side Bernie.
Old 05-02-2009, 09:57 PM
Churchill Downs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scurlogue Champ
got tired of running.
It was all over when the horse whisperer reminded him that he didn't have a nine furlong prep.
Old 05-02-2009, 10:01 PM
Formerly 'moodwalker'

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaTruth
It was all over when the horse whisperer reminded him that he didn't have a nine furlong prep.
Larry Jones should have ridden him.
Old 05-02-2009, 10:01 PM
Woodbine

Quote:
If it wasn't for Mine That Bird's inscutable effort today, we would have seen three relative mediocrities hit the wire together in one of the slowest KY Derbies in modern history. Now, instead of endlessly hearing about how wonderful a horse Pioneer of the Nile is, and one that only synthetic haters failed to see the obvious greatness of, we can all scratch our heads as to how this otherwise " slow " horse could destroy today's field.

I guess two things happened, the good horses all scratched for various reasons in the weeks leading up to the race and one horse loved the off-going....and the rest just aren't that good or completely didn't show up.

Today's Derby, which had a great deal of promise a month ago, ended up being a shell of its possible self, and one run on a sloppy surface that ultimately answered few questions. But at least it didn't produce a slew of undeserved accolades. For that I am thankful.
Old 05-02-2009, 10:03 PM
The Curragh

If you think about it...Mine That Bird only lost by 3 lengths to Kelly Leak. Hasn't Kelly Leak been running against the best 3 year olds in So Cal?

Maybe the Sunland beyer figures are a bit lower than they should be?
Old 05-02-2009, 10:06 PM
Dee Tee Stables

Quote:
Originally Posted by letswastemoney
If you think about it...Mine That Bird only lost by 3 lengths to Kelly Leak. Hasn't Kelly Leak been running against the best 3 year olds in So Cal?

Maybe the Sunland beyer figures are a bit lower than they should be?
losing three lengths to kelly leak is a good thing? kelly leak is ok, but i wouldn't think he'd be a barometer on the supposed best three year olds.

oh...now i've done it-bashed another west coast horse. scuds'll be on me for sure.
Old 05-02-2009, 10:10 PM
Oaklawn

When they neared the quarter pole it looked like Pioneerof the Nile was going to blow open the race and blow up the DerbyTrail.com server.
Old 05-02-2009, 10:11 PM
Hialeah Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scurlogue Champ
Larry Jones should have ridden him.

Maybe it is time for him to retire..to stud
Old 05-02-2009, 10:12 PM
Dee Tee Stables

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis Stone
When they neared the quarter pole it looked like Pioneerof the Nile was going to blow open the race and blow up the DerbyTrail.com server.
i think most would have rather he won than mine that bird. people want a horse to follow, and a horse to go on to win the tc. i doubt anyone thinks MTB will turn out to be a good one, or that he has a chance to win the other two classics.
Old 05-02-2009, 10:13 PM
Jerome Park

Quote:
When they neared the quarter pole it looked like Pioneerof the Nile was going to blow open the race.

All kidding aside, this was the moment where had he been any better than a decent/good horse he would have asserted himself.

Instead, he battled Papa Clem and Musket Man in a thrilling duel to see who would be a distant second.
Old 05-02-2009, 10:15 PM
Cahokia Downs

So I assume everyone else here knows what "inscutable" means.
Old 05-02-2009, 10:18 PM
Hialeah Park

Quote:
At he 1/4 pole John White yelled "honey we won't need the viagara tonight"