Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-02-2009, 08:49 PM
Randwyck

POTN is a plodder
Old 05-02-2009, 08:50 PM
Belmont Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninetoone
Somebody at DRF better edit Beyer's chat transcript from the other day...whoops!
Perhaps Beyer shouldn't even waste his time "Chatting"
Old 05-02-2009, 08:52 PM
Oaklawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lava
POTN is a plodder
a rich plodder close to 2 million i think,
Old 05-02-2009, 08:54 PM
Oaklawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackthroatedwind
You loved the winner?

Come on.....everyone mocked his chances.

My main bet was the 19 to win, but I did have a $10 6-8 exacta box as a flyer...who would have thought that it would be the six that would be nowhere to be found at the finish...so yeah, I'm a dumb *ss
Old 05-02-2009, 08:56 PM
Belmont Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninetoone
My main bet was the 19 to win, but I did have a $10 6-8 exacta box as a flyer...who would have thought that it would be the six that would be nowhere to be found at the finish...so yeah, I'm a dumb *ss
Where did you buy that 6-8 exacta tix? the same place that Jack buys his magic beans?
Old 05-02-2009, 08:56 PM
pgardn

Quote:
POTN is a plodder
Yes.
It was terribly clear today.
That course totally exposed him.

The horse may not be worth a damn on
dirt. But if you learned something about
his dirt abilities today, please share.
Old 05-02-2009, 08:59 PM
Randwyck

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgardn
Yes.
It was terribly clear today.
That totally course exposed him.

The horse may not be worth a damn on
dirt. But if you learned something about
his dirt abilities today, please share.
I did not learn anything about his ability on dirt, but he is just a slow horse that looks good on synthetic track. I hope he goes to the preakness, so he can take money.
Old 05-02-2009, 09:01 PM
Jerome Park

Please don't quote Pgarden....it completely defeats the purpose of the " iggy " button.

Surely I'm one of many here that share that sentiment.
Old 05-02-2009, 09:02 PM
Oaklawn

Quote:
POTN is a plodder
that will win some more races. The Derby winner might not.
Old 05-02-2009, 09:05 PM
pgardn

Quote:
I did not learn anything about his ability on dirt, but he is just a slow horse that looks good on synthetic track. I hope he goes to the preakness, so he can take money.
How did you figure he will not take to dirt?
He beat Revenge twice on syn.
Do you have a prior post expressing that you knew
Revenge would take very well to dirt before he actually
ran
on it? And that you could tell Pioneer would not?
Old 05-02-2009, 09:10 PM
Sheepshead Bay

Quote:
If it wasn't for Mine That Bird's inscutable effort today, we would have seen three relative mediocrities hit the wire together in one of the slowest KY Derbies in modern history. Now, instead of endlessly hearing about how wonderful a horse Pioneer of the Nile is, and one that only synthetic haters failed to see the obvious greatness of, we can all scratch our heads as to how this otherwise " slow " horse could destroy today's field.

I guess two things happened, the good horses all scratched for various reasons in the weeks leading up to the race and one horse loved the off-going....and the rest just aren't that good or completely didn't show up.

Today's Derby, which had a great deal of promise a month ago, ended up being a shell of its possible self, and one run on a sloppy surface that ultimately answered few questions. But at least it didn't produce a slew of undeserved accolades. For that I am thankful.

Poor Jon White. His triple crown dream for POTN is gone. Thank god we won't have to listen to any of his nonsense anymore. I was so damn happy that POTN didn't win. One can only take so much of Baffert sticking his kid in front of every tv camera available.

Obviously nobody on this planet picked the winner...I looked right past him in the pp's....but hell...it's not like he barely won.....he smoked the field today...he deserves some credit. Plus his trainer is a riot....loved him basically telling the dude on NBC to go fu#k off at the end of the interview.
Old 05-02-2009, 09:13 PM
Oaklawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by freddymo
Where did you buy that 6-8 exacta tix? the same place that Jack buys his magic beans?
LOL, no...I'm really a win bettor & I don't bet favorites to win in the derby. Like I said, I went with Desert Party this year, which was obviously wrong. I decided I would play a few bomb exacta combinations with the favorite just in case, and that was one of them. Doesn't much matter though, it was a loser
Old 05-02-2009, 09:14 PM
Jerome Park

It's not about Jon White. He has earned the right to have a strong opinion and he was hardly embarrassed today.

The bottom line is that Hold That Bird saved us from enduring a lot of falsehoods about what would have been a dramatically misunderstood result.
Old 05-02-2009, 09:17 PM
Arlington Park

Quote:
It's not about Jon White. He has earned the right to have a strong opinion and he was hardly embarrassed today.

The bottom line is that Hold That Bird saved us from enduring a lot of falsehoods about what would have been a dramatically misunderstood result.
But couldn't you have made more money betting against POTN in the Preakness if he had won today?
Old 05-02-2009, 09:18 PM
Jerome Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by miraja2
But couldn't you have made more money betting against POTN in the Preakness if he had won today?

In order to make money you have to pick the winner.
Old 05-02-2009, 09:19 PM
Sheepshead Bay

Quote:

Too damn funny....Hold that bird......Mine that bird....whatever.

Jon White's reasoning on tv was a bit much......he would have been ridiculous if POTN won....that's what I was implying.
Old 05-02-2009, 09:19 PM
Arlington Park

Quote:
In order to make money you have to pick the winner.
Don't I know it. I've found that is the biggest reason I haven't been making any money recently.
This was my best Derby in years....because I didn't bet it.
Old 05-02-2009, 09:22 PM
Cahokia Downs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suffolk Shippers
Or you can say we were denied a possibly memorable finish by some sh*t horse from New Mexico who rode the bias and the smartest jockey on the track to a win. What's worse a slow race on off going with a fun finish or some horse that no one could identify who won by six or seven lengths?
HEY! Don't knock New Mexico. I live here & it IS in the United States.

The problem was that we handicapped like professionals & didn't use the twinza angle. When 2 horses in the race have similar names (Summer Bird, Mine That Bird), one will be in the money.
I forgot about that!

I bet Hold Me Back & Musket Man, & used Pioneer & Papa Clem, did not use FF or the winner.
Oh well

I wonder how much, if any, respect, MTB will get in the Preakness. Musket Man did prove himself to be a solid performer, as did POTN
Old 05-02-2009, 09:23 PM
Del Mar

What if one of the more "logical" horses had won this race, the same way as Mine that Bird did? I'm talking about one of the 3 superstars (Friesan Fire, Pioneer and the allowance winner Dunkirk). What if their jockey made the same move as Borel did and won as emphatically?

Would we be hearing a bunch of whining and ridiculing or rather talk of the first triple crown winner in 30+ years looming?
Old 05-02-2009, 09:26 PM
Goodwood

Quote:
If it wasn't for Mine That Bird's inscutable effort today, we would have seen three relative mediocrities hit the wire together in one of the slowest KY Derbies in modern history. Now, instead of endlessly hearing about how wonderful a horse Pioneer of the Nile is, and one that only synthetic haters failed to see the obvious greatness of, we can all scratch our heads as to how this otherwise " slow " horse could destroy today's field.

I guess two things happened, the good horses all scratched for various reasons in the weeks leading up to the race and one horse loved the off-going....and the rest just aren't that good or completely didn't show up.

Today's Derby, which had a great deal of promise a month ago, ended up being a shell of its possible self, and one run on a sloppy surface that ultimately answered few questions. But at least it didn't produce a slew of undeserved accolades. For that I am thankful.
I'm not sure what to think. The slowest horse in the history of the Derby pulls off the biggest upset ever, is that good or bad? I'd rather him win than POTN, but it didn't matter, I wasn't even in the right zipcode.

All I do know is Calvin Borel is the king of Churchill- and again, a deserving winning jockey. And I could normally care less who rides.