Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-12-2012, 06:12 PM
Saratoga

Very nice news.
Old 10-12-2012, 06:49 PM
Keeneland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merlinsky View Post
Yeah my first thought was definitely "yuck!" I gotta wonder what the surgeon did to prevent getting bowled over by that smell. It's gotta be overpowering. A mask just wouldn't do it.
You hold your breath and breath through your mouth - but if you do it right, you aren't spilling smelly contents anywhere.

Glad he's doing so well - it is rather unbelievable! What a tough horse you are, Paynter.
"Have the clean racing people run any ads explaining that giving a horse a Starbucks and a chocolate poppyseed muffin for breakfast would likely result in a ten year suspension for the trainer?" - Dr. Andrew Roberts
Old 10-12-2012, 08:04 PM
Del Mar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riot View Post
You hold your breath and breath through your mouth - but if you do it right, you aren't spilling smelly contents anywhere.

Glad he's doing so well - it is rather unbelievable! What a tough horse you are, Paynter.
They say there are going to try to bring Paynter back. Based on your knowledge of what he's gone through, what percentage chance would you give him of coming back at 100% and being the same racehorse as he was before?
Old 10-12-2012, 10:40 PM
Santa Anita

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rupert Pupkin View Post
They say there are going to try to bring Paynter back. Based on your knowledge of what he's gone through, what percentage chance would you give him of coming back at 100% and being the same racehorse as he was before?
I don't know about a %, but Seattle Slew came back after colitis so that would be doable. Paynter also has the laminitis situation. In his case, though, it sounds like it barely showed up even though he did technically have it in 3 feet. The major effects of laminitis that would make him unraceable didn't happen, so in theory he could do it.

I understand saying he's been through enough and why continue, but this horse is pretty scrappy and if he continues to improve, there's no reason he couldn't race as before. Jackson Bend was a different situation. Paynter is a tough horse to deal with in the barn according to Zayat and Baffert, and he's starting to show that attitude again. I think psychologically he could still be tough on the track, but we'll have to wait til he starts training to find out. Might take an actual race like JB.
Old 01-06-2013, 08:49 AM
Flemington

Returns to the track! photos by Marcie Heacox:

http://www.thegallopout.com/apps/pho...bumid=14367967