Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Main Forum > The Paddock
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-28-2012, 06:51 PM
Dee Tee Stables

Default Paynter back in clinic; Colitis diagnosed..

they say it's a recurrence of the previous illness. fever, diarhea. taking in fluids, etc. they said the fever has come down. so, sounds to me that the original illness was a bit more serious than they first said. and not a good sign that it's back. i doubt the pa derby is doable now.
Old 08-28-2012, 06:56 PM
Sha Tin

I think right now they are hoping tomorrow is doable. Collitis is a very serious illness, usually fatal.
Old 08-28-2012, 07:05 PM
Dee Tee Stables

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cannon Shell View Post
I think right now they are hoping tomorrow is doable. Collitis is a very serious illness, usually fatal.
so that's what it is? i was curious if they'd put a name to it, as i didn't see an actual diagnosis in the article i'd read. but i know colitis is a vicious bastard, and was wondering if it was something along those lines. i hope not.
is colitis the same as colitis x? that's what almost killed slew, and i think that's what got landaluce.
Old 08-28-2012, 07:14 PM
Dee Tee Stables

yeah, went to drf site to see if there was more, and i see it's colitis. that's awful, sorry to hear it.
hoping for the best...said he's stable, but no real improvement. and the vet said he's worried to death, and mentioned the fear of founder.
Old 08-28-2012, 08:48 PM
Steve Byk

Paynter found to have colitis; vet expresses great concern
By Jay Privman

Paynter on Tuesday night was described as being seriously ill by Dr. Mark Cheney, the respected equine veterinarian who is overseeing his treatment, who said the Haskell Invitational winner has colitis - an inflammation of the colon - and that a principle concern now is also founder.

"I'm worried to death," Cheney said in a telephone interview. "You've got to keep your fingers crossed. Just hope and pray."
Old 08-28-2012, 08:55 PM
5'8".. but all man!

Pardon the ignorance, but is it not treatable in the same manner as humans with colitis?
Old 08-28-2012, 09:05 PM
Oaklawn

Humans don't get laminitis. Any sort of infections can and often do result in laminitis.
Old 08-28-2012, 10:04 PM
Dee Tee Stables

yeah, for whatever reason (i don't think they've found why yet) stomach ailments such as colic and colitis have a connection to developing laminitis. i'm just hoping all ends well for him.
i don't know that there's been a crop of horses as star-crossed as this one. it's unreal.
Old 08-28-2012, 11:07 PM
Sheepshead Bay

Good luck to the guy. We lament all the quick retirements, but there are worse fates.
Old 08-28-2012, 11:31 PM
Santa Anita

I was looking up some things about colitis and it was suggested that Swale actually may've suffered from that, but it sure sounds like he was struck more suddenly than Landaluce or Paynter. Would the effects occur that soon? You could gallop and then drop dead within 30 minutes? I'd always thought it was a heart attack, but apparently the autopsy didn't indicate heart damage.
Old 08-29-2012, 12:46 AM
Keeneland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merlinsky View Post
I was looking up some things about colitis and it was suggested that Swale actually may've suffered from that, but it sure sounds like he was struck more suddenly than Landaluce or Paynter. Would the effects occur that soon? You could gallop and then drop dead within 30 minutes? I'd always thought it was a heart attack, but apparently the autopsy didn't indicate heart damage.
Yes. Colitis is nearly always infection (variety of agents), and the colon is a "shock organ" in horses. A fulminating septicemia originating in colon can kill very quickly, unfortunately.

With Swale, if that's what he had, the gallop didn't give him the colitis, but would have exacerbated it quickly and fatally.

FYI there are "heart attacks" that are caused by arrhythmia (irregular heart rhythm) that are not detectable on autopsy.
"Have the clean racing people run any ads explaining that giving a horse a Starbucks and a chocolate poppyseed muffin for breakfast would likely result in a ten year suspension for the trainer?" - Dr. Andrew Roberts
Old 08-29-2012, 12:58 AM
Keeneland

Quote:
Originally Posted by GPK View Post
Pardon the ignorance, but is it not treatable in the same manner as humans with colitis?
Colitis in horse nearly always infection, colitis in human variety of causes (infection, autoimmune, etc).

Colon in horse relatively much physically larger part of digestive system, horse colon has additional different functions than human (ferment substrates).

So "inflammation of the colon" (= colitis) not the same impact in omnivore vs herbivore due to vastly different colons.
"Have the clean racing people run any ads explaining that giving a horse a Starbucks and a chocolate poppyseed muffin for breakfast would likely result in a ten year suspension for the trainer?" - Dr. Andrew Roberts
Old 08-29-2012, 06:51 AM
5'8".. but all man!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riot View Post
Colitis in horse nearly always infection, colitis in human variety of causes (infection, autoimmune, etc).

Colon in horse relatively much physically larger part of digestive system, horse colon has additional different functions than human (ferment substrates).

So "inflammation of the colon" (= colitis) not the same impact in omnivore vs herbivore due to vastly different colons.
Thanks. Was curious as to the difference in the fatality of it. My brother had colitis and Crohn's for almost 30 years. Didn't realize the the different functions as well.
Old 08-29-2012, 08:15 AM
Goodwood

Quote:
The real story behind Swale's death is shocking.
Old 08-29-2012, 09:54 AM
Dee Tee Stables

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indian Charlie View Post
The real story behind Swale's death is shocking.
and that would be what?
Old 08-29-2012, 10:39 AM
Belmont Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danzig View Post
and that would be what?
OD'd on lasix
Old 08-29-2012, 10:55 AM
Goodwood

There was an accident that caused his death while he was being bathed.

I have been told this by more than one party, and all would be considered 'insiders'.
Old 08-29-2012, 11:31 AM
Santa Anita

http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-raci...ng-improvement

Hoping this is a good sign. Fingers crossed for Paynter.
Old 08-29-2012, 12:28 PM
Keeneland

Quote:
http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-raci...ng-improvement

Hoping this is a good sign. Fingers crossed for Paynter.
Actually that is a small good sign, to live through the first 24 hours. Yes, fingers crossed!
Old 08-29-2012, 12:50 PM
Santa Anita

Ahmed Zayat just tweeted this: "Paynter update.; just got this from Dr. Javsicas "he is eating fresh grass and more playful " whatever works!"

For anybody on Twitter (I think you can see her tweets even if you're not) there's a crazy lady @getdownwolfie aka Gina Powell who's throwing around accusations of conspiracy to hide things about Paynter (she claimed earlier that he was dead and wanted them to show photographic proof he wasn't), she's raging to PETA and she's told Joe Drape "Please Joe follow the story on PAYNTER who is sick! You can provide an unbiased view unlike mainstream racing media!" followed by " There is a clearly stated rule that the NYRC should have invoked against Bob Baffert trainer of PAYNTER. Care and Custodial rule!" If you're on Twitter, this lady's clearly spamming it up with PETA nonsense. I reported her for spam and I suggest others do the same so we can at least get her temporarily suspended. It's one thing to have an opinion, but she's firing off constant crazy lies from rays that clearly went right through her aluminum hat.