Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Main Forum > The Paddock
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-08-2012, 09:33 PM
Randwyck

Quote:
Originally Posted by v j stauffer View Post
I know NONE!!
Maybe you don't think the guy who actually calls the races, for NBC, is a real announcer. That would, of course, be denying the truth.

"Larry Collmus ‏@larrycollmus
There may not be a triple crown on the line but it's still the #Belmont Stakes and we're going to have fun tomorrow! @NBCSN"
Old 06-08-2012, 09:38 PM
Oriental Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by tywizard View Post
Anyone feel bad for the horse that wins tomorrow? It will be hard to shake the asterisk that will go along with winning.
While it's obviously rare for a Derby-Preakness to not attempt the Triple Crown, it's fairly common in recent years for both the Derby and Preakness winners to fail to show up for the final leg (2000, 2006, 2010, 2012)).

Union Rags or Dullahan would be fine additions to the list of winners based on prior accomplishments.
Old 06-08-2012, 09:46 PM
v j stauffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatCummings View Post
Maybe you don't think the guy who actually calls the races, for NBC, is a real announcer. That would, of course, be denying the truth.

"Larry Collmus ‏@larrycollmus
There may not be a triple crown on the line but it's still the #Belmont Stakes and we're going to have fun tomorrow! @NBCSN"
I know Larry is not only a real announcer. I know he's a great announcer.

He'll do a fantastic job I'm sure.
Old 06-08-2012, 09:51 PM
v j stauffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danzig View Post
oh, it is ON now!! i love creamed chipped beef on toast. you commie you.
Listen comrade. If you wanna eat spackle it's your choice.

It's a free country.

Well yours is.

YUCK
Old 06-08-2012, 09:51 PM
Belmont Park

Vic, what do you make of this Bonde first turfer taking all the money in the 3rd?
Old 06-08-2012, 09:52 PM
Randwyck

Quote:

Ok, so then you are admitting your previous remark, that you no of know "real announcers" who your previous comment, was false.

Have a great night.
Old 06-08-2012, 10:01 PM
v j stauffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudeboyelvis View Post
Vic, what do you make of this Bonde first turfer taking all the money in the 3rd?
Elvis. Sorry I wish I could help. Since becoming a steward I've completely taken off my handicapping shoes.

However since we're pals I asked our PR director Bob Miserski. Excellent handicapper. He thinks the bigger angle is that he's a first time gelding but questions his fight when confornted by other speed types.

Hope that helps.
Old 06-08-2012, 10:01 PM
Randwyck

Quote:

Ok, so then you are admitting your previous remark, that you no of know "real announcers" who fit your previous comment, was false.

Have a great night.
Old 06-08-2012, 10:04 PM
v j stauffer

Quote:
Ok, so then you are admitting your previous remark, that you no of know "real announcers" who your previous comment, was false.

Have a great night.
No. I do not believe that to be false. I stand by my previous comments 100%.

Have a great night. Right back at ya
Old 06-08-2012, 10:21 PM
Belmont Park

Quote:
Elvis. Sorry I wish I could help. Since becoming a steward I've completely taken off my handicapping shoes.

However since we're pals I asked our PR director Bob Miserski. Excellent handicapper. He thinks the bigger angle is that he's a first time gelding but questions his fight when confornted by other speed types.

Hope that helps.
You're the man, Vic - don't let the haters get ya down - awesome job as always this evening

Is Bob on Twitter?!
Old 06-08-2012, 10:46 PM
v j stauffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudeboyelvis View Post
You're the man, Vic - don't let the haters get ya down - awesome job as always this evening

Is Bob on Twitter?!
No twitter for Bob. Says he posts on facebook though.
Old 06-08-2012, 11:45 PM
Churchill Downs

i think vic is starting to enjoy this banter.

at least durkin will not have to say something like this...

it's coming down to the wire.....

it's going to be close....

and Paynter wins the Belmont Stakes!!!!
Old 06-09-2012, 12:00 AM
Pimlico

I will attempt to give my understanding of what Vic is saying.

When you reach the upper echelon of any profession you hope that you have the opportunity to do something different than your fellow professionals. Who doesn't want to be remembered for something they did; in this case to a large group of people.

In the US the most watched races seem to be the TC races and the Breeders Cup. In this case it was an opportunity where a horse could win the first TC in 34 years. The chance to say the words forever associated with you and a TC winner. Immortality maybe a stretch but is it really.

You finally settle on a what you will say. This will forever be part of history, viewed a gazillion times on you tube, and surely to be talked about for generations. Do you really remember the call with BB or Barbaro? Will you in 10 more years? I will always remember "a tremendous machine."

Suddenly that potential TC winner is scratched. It is the Belmont, a race always remembered as the one I'll Have Another could have won, but also now easily forgotten.

Professionally you will still call the race and attempt to show emotion, however you also feel that this call will probably be forgotten. You almost touched greatness but instead you are relegated back to reality.

I am off my soap box.

Aloha/Geoff
Old 06-09-2012, 12:19 AM
Morris Park

Tough one, but I think you have to suck it up and you owe it to the fans to go out there and give one helluva call. I'll have another has the perfect name, too. Probably would have said something like, and we'll finally have another triple crown winner. What a huge bummer, the show must go on.
Old 06-09-2012, 06:05 PM
Randwyck

Having been in the grandstand, which was full, experiencing the thrill, and the call...

Vic - you are so wrong and have no idea how wrong you are. Hope others here could share the experience.
Old 06-09-2012, 08:26 PM
v j stauffer

Quote:
Having been in the grandstand, which was full, experiencing the thrill, and the call...

Vic - you are so wrong and have no idea how wrong you are. Hope others here could share the experience.
I understand why you think I'm wrong. However I think you're losing focus as to the origin of your original shot at me.

As a fan I would TRULY love to have had the opportunity to be part of the cheering 85,000. I so glad you enjoyed that.

What I was speaking to and still am is the extreme sense of deflation I think Tom and Larry must have felt when IHA scratched.

Of course I can only speculate about that. But I sure know how I would have felt if it was me preparing to call potential history.

I would have felt like I had been kicked in the gut.

The race would have changed "for me" from a be all end all opportunity to just another important Grade 1 race. While I would give it my all to do a professional job I'd have had to rally my resolve and pep talk myself to get through the disapointment and produce quality work.

I don't understand why you can't seem to grasp this.

Anyway. Glad you had a great time. I'm jealous. Wish I could have been there. Woulda bought ya a cold one.

Have a good night.
Old 06-09-2012, 11:05 PM
Randwyck

Quote:
I understand why you think I'm wrong. However I think you're losing focus as to the origin of your original shot at me.

As a fan I would TRULY love to have had the opportunity to be part of the cheering 85,000. I so glad you enjoyed that.

What I was speaking to and still am is the extreme sense of deflation I think Tom and Larry must have felt when IHA scratched.

Of course I can only speculate about that. But I sure know how I would have felt if it was me preparing to call potential history.

I would have felt like I had been kicked in the gut.

The race would have changed "for me" from a be all end all opportunity to just another important Grade 1 race. While I would give it my all to do a professional job I'd have had to rally my resolve and pep talk myself to get through the disapointment and produce quality work.

I don't understand why you can't seem to grasp this.

Anyway. Glad you had a great time. I'm jealous. Wish I could have been there. Woulda bought ya a cold one.

Have a good night.
There is no issue in suggesting that it's disappointing there wouldn't be a Triple Crown winner, and that everyone impacted, including the announcers, shared in the disappointment the opportunity wouldn't be present. It just seems so disingenuous to suggest it would be difficult to do your job when your job is to call one of the most prestigious races in the country, with one of the largest audiences of the year. They had a thrilling race, an energetic crowd, and a great result.
Old 06-10-2012, 12:20 AM
Pimlico

And forgetable. I think that is the point. We will all forget the call of this race.

Aloha/Geoff
Old 06-10-2012, 02:50 AM
v j stauffer

Quote:
There is no issue in suggesting that it's disappointing there wouldn't be a Triple Crown winner, and that everyone impacted, including the announcers, shared in the disappointment the opportunity wouldn't be present. It just seems so disingenuous to suggest it would be difficult to do your job when your job is to call one of the most prestigious races in the country, with one of the largest audiences of the year. They had a thrilling race, an energetic crowd, and a great result.

Disingenuous means that I was not being truthful when I shared my feelings.

I know what MY feelings would have been. I actually felt them without being involved. Why would I share anything that wasn't coming from the heart?

All kinds of things can make some days more difficult than others. A spat with your wife. A kid that's totally underachieving in school. Just feeling lousy.

A professional, which I consider myself, sets that all aside and does his very best especially on super important days like today.

That still doesn't take away the sting of losing a chance at getting to chronicle history.

I wish I had a better way of explaining that to you because you're still not getting what I'm trying to share.

Look you're an announcer and a very good one I might add. Every racecaller has a bucket list of races he'd like to call. What's your number one? Let's say for you it might be the Pennsylvania Derby or maybe the Dubai World Cup. You've known for 3 weeks you're going to have that opportunity then 48 hours before you get the bad news. You're out. You can still call one on the undercard but not the one you've waiting and preparing for. Constantly thinking about. Human nature dictates that you'll have to rally emotionally, stay focused and pep talk yourself into doing the best possible job.

I've called 250 Grade 1 races. While none the stature of the Belmont I've been privlidged to call some greats. There have now been 102 3yo Classics run since the last Triple Crown winner. Of those, 11 horses had a chance to achieve immortality. Those 11 calls were much more important than the other 23 Belmonts. To get the chance to have the 12th be the first in 34 years only to have it ripped away two days before. Would for me, in this context only, make just a regular Belmont seem relatively insignificant as crazy as that might sound. I'd be calling one of the most important races of my life with remorse in my heart.

I hope you and the 85,000 there had a great time. Not one of you. Not one walked out without thinking and probably saying, Yeah but, what if.

This Belmont was terrific. I'm sure the day was great fun. In 50 years it will mean nothing more than another non triple crown alive chance. In 50 and even a 100 years this race will be remembered first and foremost for a horse that didn't run. Sucks I know. But that's the way it is.

I think nobody cares any more about the Grade One's they call than me. I put my heart and soul into them all. It wouldn't have been totally there on this one. Part of my heart would have been in I'll Have Another's stall.
Part of my soul would have been wondering at age 53 would I ever get the chance again.

As a racecaller yourself I cannot fathom how you don't get that.

Good debate. Appreciate your thoughts.

Last edited by v j stauffer : 06-10-2012 at 11:30 AM.
Old 06-10-2012, 03:21 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Those 11 calls were much more important than the other 23 Belmonts.
I present to you the original Rags To Riches...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nQcGAJhC3wg