Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Main Forum > The Paddock
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-30-2012, 03:21 PM
Santa Anita

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honu View Post
Im not ranting, Im just pointing out the obvious.....Those are just the one's off the top of my head. If you think pro athletes dont down 800mlg of Advil and use over the counter blocks and injections before competeting and I would say the number is close to about 80 % of them DO....you havent played sports. It hurts to compete at a pro level even if you dont suffer a major injury during a game you are damn sure going to be sore the next day and if its a game day Im sure they are taking more than Advil.
I think racing can do away with all medications 72 hours out and there wont be a large impact, but to do away with a drug that by all scientific study is proven to be preventitive in helping horses not cause damage to their lungs is just beyond simply stupid.
Ever notice the number of horses that come here to run in the breeders cup from across the pond that use Lasix? Ever ask yourself why they use it ? they use it because they know it prevents bleeding. Over there they work on it but they know it has to be out of the horses system for the race. Just like Dubai, you can work on Lasix up until about 10 days from racing, then you have to go old school by withdrawing grain, hay and water. So which is more humane?
80%, I doubt that number. Even if true, it isn't 99%, and if someone isn't sore and takes it I don't think it makes them play better.

I've said many times why I think Lasix is given to horses shipping over...competitive edge. The ones that don't use it are fools, and it has nothing to do with health, but speed.
Old 04-30-2012, 03:40 PM
Goodwood

Hey Orioles.

Maybe this will help illuminate the futility of what you are trying to do.

Zenyatta fan : "Yay, Zenyatta is the greatest horse ever!! I love her forever, and her dance is so cute!"

A rational person : "She's a nice mare, but the greatest horse ever? That's absurd"

Three thousand irate Zenyatta fans : "Zenyatta is the bestest horse ever! Why are you such a hater? How can you say she is the worst horse of the last 50 years?. I hope you burn in hell!"

Rational Person : "I never said she sucked! I said she's a really nice mare. How did you get that I think she sucks?"

Zenyatta fan : "She does not suck! Rachel Alexandra sucks!"

Rational Person : "Ugh. Pardon me while I go slam my dick in a sliding glass door".

This is the type of mentality you are up against Orioles.
Old 04-30-2012, 03:44 PM
Sha Tin

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmorioles View Post
Isn't that the only reason the information is provided? No worries, I'm done with this. After reading the NYT and the work of some of your cohorts, you have much bigger issues than losing Lasix.
I believe that I have been saying this for awhile....
Old 04-30-2012, 03:47 PM
Goodwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cannon Shell View Post
I believe that I have been saying this for awhile....
That much is accurate.
Old 04-30-2012, 04:00 PM
Santa Anita

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indian Charlie View Post
Hey Orioles.

Maybe this will help illuminate the futility of what you are trying to do.

Zenyatta fan : "Yay, Zenyatta is the greatest horse ever!! I love her forever, and her dance is so cute!"

A rational person : "She's a nice mare, but the greatest horse ever? That's absurd"

Three thousand irate Zenyatta fans : "Zenyatta is the bestest horse ever! Why are you such a hater? How can you say she is the worst horse of the last 50 years?. I hope you burn in hell!"

Rational Person : "I never said she sucked! I said she's a really nice mare. How did you get that I think she sucks?"

Zenyatta fan : "She does not suck! Rachel Alexandra sucks!"

Rational Person : "Ugh. Pardon me while I go slam my dick in a sliding glass door".

This is the type of mentality you are up against Orioles.
That about nailed it down. What can I say, a little Don Quixote in me I guess.
Old 04-30-2012, 08:39 PM
Saratoga

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmorioles View Post
How are diabetics and horses that are given drugs to compete for millions and millions of dollars remotely comparable. That is just being ridiculous. Stick to sports, because after all, isn't that what horse racing is?

Again, in what other sport, anywhere, is nearly every competitor given drugs on the day of the race?
What other sport are the competitor's allowed to train on drugs that are banned on game day?

What other sport are players not allowed to use an injection to prevent their lungs from filling up with blood or any liquid substance?

Are IV's performance enhancers? Should althletes be banned from taking an IV during a game if they get dehydrated?
Old 05-03-2012, 07:08 AM
Del Mar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riot View Post
Yes, I do. You made that number up out of thin air and you have absolutely zero support for it. The truth is the majority of trainers use lasix in the morning, on days the horse will be asked for maximum speed, to prevent EIPH. It's common, it's good medical welfare of the horse practice, and it's why, during drug tests in some foreign countries, a far lower level of frusemide is permitted in the blood, than exists in the USA.
You are making that up. You claim the majority of horses work on lasix in the morning? A majority means over 50%. You have absolutely zero evidence to support that. Even in the US, not even close to 50% of horses work on lasix. I get the vet bills on all of our horses from all different trainers. Most trainers don't work most of their horses on lasix. From reviewng the vet bills every month on over 100 horses over the last 5 years with 15 different trainers, I estimate around 15% of the horses work on lasix. Sure there are some trainers here that work practically all of their horses on lasix. But there are also plenty of trainers that practically never work their horses on lasix. In Eurpope, I would bet the number is much lower. Do you think the number in Europe is higher than in the US? There is no way.
Old 05-03-2012, 10:00 AM
Turf Paradise

I really dont care about what Europe does and who says what they do is best for the horse? They race about 6 months of the year and horses race about 6 times a year, mostly on grass.

Unless you have horses that race in Ky you are really missing the entire focus of this topic which is the very bad position a ban on Lasix would be if it is only in Ky.
Old 05-03-2012, 10:52 AM
Saratoga

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rupert Pupkin View Post
You are making that up. You claim the majority of horses work on lasix in the morning? A majority means over 50%. You have absolutely zero evidence to support that. Even in the US, not even close to 50% of horses work on lasix. I get the vet bills on all of our horses from all different trainers. Most trainers don't work most of their horses on lasix. From reviewng the vet bills every month on over 100 horses over the last 5 years with 15 different trainers, I estimate around 15% of the horses work on lasix. Sure there are some trainers here that work practically all of their horses on lasix. But there are also plenty of trainers that practically never work their horses on lasix. In Eurpope, I would bet the number is much lower. Do you think the number in Europe is higher than in the US? There is no way.
European woman don't shave their armpits, body hair and god knows what is going on between their legs. Should American women do the same?
Old 05-03-2012, 11:40 AM
Goodwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by pointman View Post
European woman don't shave their armpits, body hair and god knows what is going on between their legs. Should American women do the same?
American women should do whatever the fugg they want in that regard.
Old 05-03-2012, 02:15 PM
Keeneland

worth the read:

http://www.theatlantic.com/entertain...racing/256621/
"Have the clean racing people run any ads explaining that giving a horse a Starbucks and a chocolate poppyseed muffin for breakfast would likely result in a ten year suspension for the trainer?" - Dr. Andrew Roberts
Old 05-03-2012, 02:18 PM
Atlantic City Race Course

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indian Charlie View Post
American women should do whatever the fugg they want in that regard.
Old 05-03-2012, 02:20 PM
Keeneland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rupert Pupkin View Post
You judge by your vet bills, I judge by the many trainers I see doing it, by knowing the vets that are giving the injections, by talking to the vets in other countries (just spent a conference day with three vets from Australia, and yes, we talked about horse racing and lasix), by what the veterinary industry knows about lasix use in the racing industry.

The unalienable truth is this: lasix is the most effective therapeutic drug we have to attenuate EIPH, and that medical help should not be taken away from the horse. Either in the morning, or in a race.

But most especially, the therapeutic value of lasix should not be used as a cheap straw man substitute for dealing with real drug problems in racing.
"Have the clean racing people run any ads explaining that giving a horse a Starbucks and a chocolate poppyseed muffin for breakfast would likely result in a ten year suspension for the trainer?" - Dr. Andrew Roberts