Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > The Charles Hatton Reading Room
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-11-2016, 04:09 PM
Steve Byk

Default 1/28 (GP): $12MM Pegasus World Cup

http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-raci...asus-world-cup

The Stronach Group announced May 11 the inaugural running of the $12 million Pegasus World Cup will be held Jan. 28 at Gulfstream Park.

With a purse that would make it the world's richest Thoroughbred race, the Pegasus World Cup will be contested at 1 1/8 miles on dirt and was created to attract the world's biggest stars in racing.

The race will be restricted to to 12 entries, whose connections will be required to pay $1 million each to buy a spot in the Pegasus World Cup starting gate.

The entrant's owner can then race, lease, contract or share a starter or sell their place in the starting gate. Original entrants will also have the first option to participate in future Pegasus World Cup races. All entrants will not only be competing for the world's largest purse but they will also share equally in 100% of the net income from handle, media rights, and sponsorships from the Pegasus World Cup, according to the Stronach Group announcement.

"The Pegasus World Cup will be conducted to the highest standards," said Frank Stronach, founder and honorary chairman of The Stronach Group, "and will held on Saturday, January 28th, thereby avoiding a conflict with either the Breeders' Cup or the Dubai World Cup."

The Stronach Group also announce that Jack Wolf, founder of Starlight Racing, has been retained as the CEO of the Pegasus World Cup to assist with the marketing and coordination of the race. Jack Wolf is the co-managing partner of Starlight Racing.

Tom Ludt, who is a board member of the Breeders Cup, will also be assisting with the marketing and coordination of the Pegasus World Cup.
Old 05-11-2016, 04:20 PM
Arlington Park

I can't get over the fact that it's not 1 1/4 miles.

Is the $12 million guaranteed?
Old 05-11-2016, 04:53 PM
Atlantic City Race Course

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pants II View Post

Agree. 10f separates the men from the boys.
Old 05-11-2016, 06:03 PM
Santa Anita

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kasept View Post
The race will be restricted to to 12 entries, whose connections will be required to pay $1 million each to buy a spot in the Pegasus World Cup starting gate.
Will there be 12 sets of connections who are willing to do that?
Old 05-11-2016, 06:35 PM
Steve Byk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pants II View Post

Tough to know who's prepared to go 10f in January.
Old 05-11-2016, 06:36 PM
Steve Byk

Quote:
Originally Posted by _ed_ View Post
Will there be 12 sets of connections who are willing to do that?
Apparently. They were recruited over the last few months. Jack Wolf on ATR tomorrow to elaborate.
Old 05-11-2016, 07:06 PM
Washington Park

Weird hypothetical and likely dumb question...

You're basically buying a spot in the starters gate am I reading that right?

So if you're NYRA or Woodbine, etc...can you buy a spot then run an race where the winner gets the spot in the race?

Plus as the owner of the spot you get to share in the revenue,. etc all the other perks they're pushing?
Old 05-11-2016, 11:31 PM
Goodwood

It's a crazy idea that might actually work. I like it.

Note that all owners would be sharing in the handle (could be strong- I figure $8-10 million so $2 million-ish in revenue), media rights (probably not much), and sponsorship (mid-6 figures) so the gamble drops to maybe $600k to win $7 million.
Old 05-12-2016, 07:05 AM
Belmont Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by philcski View Post
It's a crazy idea that might actually work. I like it.

Note that all owners would be sharing in the handle (could be strong- I figure $8-10 million so $2 million-ish in revenue), media rights (probably not much), and sponsorship (mid-6 figures) so the gamble drops to maybe $600k to win $7 million.
I think its brilliant and will crush the BC Classic which I can live with. Assuming many colts will come of the track and head to breeding season. There is a real reason not to retire colts and the impact on Classic seems imminent
Old 05-12-2016, 07:10 AM
Steve Byk

Quote:
Originally Posted by freddymo View Post
I think its brilliant and will crush the BC Classic which I can live with. Assuming many colts will come of the track and head to breeding season. There is a real reason not to retire colts and the impact on Classic seems imminent
Why does this at the end of January 'crush' the BC Classic, run 90 days earlier?
Old 05-12-2016, 07:32 AM
Belmont Park

Quote:
Tough to know who's prepared to go 10f in January.
More importantly will Breeder differ standing a new stallion for 2/3 weeks for 1 season to participate. Example will a AP or Nyquist stay in training to compete, surely trainers will adjust training schedules etc. to have a shot at a 600k pay day.

The issue could lend itself into less 3 year olds retiring if healthy. With 2 6 million dollar pay days lurking over 90 days its going to be hard to retire many 3 year olds UNLESS they have exceptional pages, records, and demand
Old 05-12-2016, 07:34 AM
Havre de Grace

How would youfeel putting up $1 mil and getting an outside post at GP at 1 1/8 ??? outside the 6 post is greatly disadvantaged there.

Blaise Pascal
Old 05-12-2016, 07:48 AM
Belmont Park

Quote:
Why does this at the end of January 'crush' the BC Classic, run 90 days earlier?
Because you have a much more lucrative alternative in Jan.

You saw the beginnings of this trend with Chrome. Let's face it the single biggest reason colts headed to breeding was racing them was not economically feasible.

The classic is going to become a gelding/not as desirable stallion prospect race IF this is successful
Old 05-12-2016, 08:00 AM
Dee Tee Stables

Quote:

You saw the beginnings of this trend with Chrome. Let's face it the single biggest reason colts headed to breeding was racing them was not economically feasible.

The classic is going to become a gelding/not as desirable stallion prospect race IF this is successful
I dont aee why one oveerules the other because of the spacing. No reason to skip the bc when this is almost 90 days after.
I find the idea interesting. I wonder how it is going to turn out. That million dollar entry fee......yikes
Old 05-12-2016, 08:52 AM
Steve Byk

Quote:

Think the GP Cup will be a marketing vehicle as much as a payday opportunity. It won't detract from the season-ending goal of the Classic.
Old 05-13-2016, 08:25 AM
Morris Park

This is fascinating. So let's say an entity has a share (Zayats, Godolphin, whoever) and they don't have a horse that would be competitive. They could make a deal and "hire" a horse for the race, right? This makes so much sense. I love it.
Old 05-13-2016, 10:46 AM
Atlantic City Race Course

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holybull1 View Post
This is fascinating. So let's say an entity has a share (Zayats, Godolphin, whoever) and they don't have a horse that would be competitive. They could make a deal and "hire" a horse for the race, right? This makes so much sense. I love it.
I agree; I think it sounds like fun. And I guess there's no saying someone who owns the $1 million slot couldn't sell it for more (and, arguably, a portion or the entire share in the wagering, marketing profits, etc.). It sounds like a huge moneymaker for the original investors since they will also share in net profits (which, I assume, will not be like the film industry's "net profits" which are usually zero, thanks to creative accounting!).
Old 05-14-2016, 12:00 PM
"The Kentucky Killing Machine"

I think its stupid.They should just raffle off a chance to blow up the keggasis statue in the front for a million a pop.
Old 05-14-2016, 12:41 PM
Gulfstream Park

some random thoughts...

12 horse match race? Let me hold your money!

Over/under? 6.5 horses

Zero threat to win-and-you-are-in Breeders Cup races or Dubai events.

P. T. Barnum lives again!
Old 05-14-2016, 01:13 PM
Del Mar

I just heard Trump said he's in and will win easily.