Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Main Forum > The Paddock
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-06-2014, 10:41 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackthroatedwind View Post
Excuse me? You are putting Bobby's Kitten and Bourbon Courage in the same category? Really? This is not your best work.

Let's make some quick comparisons....Bourbon Courage could have run in lucrative Grade 1s and Grade 2s from 6F to one mile, many that featured less than stellar fields. Bobby's Kitten could have run where exactly for what money exactly....a bunch of 5F and 5 1/2 furlong races, with mostly paltry purses, where the winner's share didn't even equal third in the Woodbine Mile, a race where one could easily argue he ran a winning race? Bobby's Kitten did win the $400K Penn Mile. Was that a bad choice and he should have opted for the 6F $300K Jaipur against older?

Don't get mad, I still love you, and think you're brilliant, but this was a horrendous comparison on your part.
You're talking strictly about how they were managed. I'm not as big of a 'cut-back angle' guy as you...but both of them fit the 2 things I look for most in that angle. A horse who doesn't want to stretch out, and/or isn't bred to stretch out, but does so for reasons including chasing more lucrative opportunities.

Of course there are few, less attractive, options for turf horses between 6f-to-8f

However, Bobby's Kitten not only started in races like the Blue Grass at 9f and the Belmont Derby at 10f, but he was restrained off of the early pace in both races. If he was ever going to get those distances, he was going to have to get them on a loose lead. Not being strangled off the pace by a jockey.

The horse was entered in spots where you need to enter a 3yo Kitten's Joy colt of his ability...however, Chad Brown certainly imposed his will on that horse, especially in an effort to get him to relax.
Old 11-06-2014, 10:49 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indian Charlie View Post
His second dam is a half sister to Paradise Creek and his third dam is a half sister to Theatrical. Both had no issues getting distances.
His dam was a Forestry sprinter. His full brother also won his only stakes race going 5.5 furlongs on the Turf.
Old 11-06-2014, 11:19 AM
Jerome Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calzone Lord View Post

The horse was entered in spots where you need to enter a 3yo Kitten's Joy colt of his ability...however, Chad Brown certainly imposed his will on that horse, especially in an effort to get him to relax.
First of all, and this is the most important, you have NO idea whether it was Chad or Ken Ramsey that put him in those spots. Secondly, while Bourbon Courage had alternatives, you have to please tell me where Bobby's Kitten should have run ( The Blue Grass was either $750K or $1 million and the Belmont Derby was $1.25 million, and he was hardly a longshot in either spot, whether you, anyone, or I liked him ) instead of those spots. I would actually argue the only race he didn't run in that he should have was the Fourstardave for $500K instead of the Hall of Fame at 1 1/16 miles. He missed no reasonable spots by running in the Blue Grass or Belmont Derby and made the only race that he HAD to be in, the $400K Penn Mile ( one mile by the way....where he jogged ).

Also, you put him in the same sentence with Bourbon Courage, who passed many lucrative spots he was suited to, for many races he had little to no chance. That comparison is flat out indefensible.
Old 11-06-2014, 11:38 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
First of all, and this is the most important, you have NO idea whether it was Chad or Ken Ramsey that put him in those spots.
The spots were the right spots...so why does it matter who put him in?

Perhaps Ramsey wanted him wrangled back in races at 9f and 10f? That seems like a stretch.

Quote:
Secondly, while Bourbon Courage had alternatives, you have to please tell me where Bobby's Kitten should have run ( The Blue Grass was either $750K or $1 million and the Belmont Derby was $1.25 million, and he was hardly a longshot in either spot, whether you, anyone, or I liked him ) instead of those spots. I would actually argue the only race he didn't run in that he should have was the Fourstardave for $500K instead of the Hall of Fame at 1 1/16 miles. He missed no reasonable spots by running in the Blue Grass or Belmont Derby and made the only race that he HAD to be in, the $400K Penn Mile ( one mile by the way....where he jogged ).
They were the right spots. I've said that over and over.

The comparisons to Bourbon Courage are obvious, both of them were cut-back angle plays who fit my criteria for that angle.
Old 11-06-2014, 11:46 AM
Super Moderator

Regarding the similar cut-back angle to Bobby's Kitten and Bourbon Courage:

Old 11-06-2014, 11:49 AM
Jerome Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calzone Lord View Post
The spots were the right spots...so why does it matter who put him in?

Perhaps Ramsey wanted him wrangled back in races at 9f and 10f? That seems like a stretch.

They were the right spots. I've said that over and over.

The comparisons to Bourbon Courage are obvious, both of them were cut-back angle plays who fit my criteria for that angle.
It matters based on what you said.

You made indefensible comments in both the initial post I responded to and the one that followed. It's OK to say you misspoke....because you did.

We can move on.