Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Main Forum > The Paddock
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-17-2006, 09:50 PM
Formerly 'moodwalker'

Quote:
Originally Posted by miraja2
Doesn't seem to me like Bold Brooklynite was really being critical. He called the horse "gallant" after all. I love Perfect Drift but he does tend to slow it down a little when he makes the lead. He still ran a hell of a race today though. A very nice second. To the person who said they had all their $ on PD to win I say, that is crazy. This horse always runs strong races, but he usually finishes 2nd or 3rd. Even if you don't usually place/show bet, this horse is BEGGING for across-the-board bets, especially when he is sent off at 10/1.
It wasn't a bet I made with my head, I am fully aware that Perfect Drift has a hard time getting to the winner's circle.

I had a bad day at the windows, and I just took what I had left and said "to hell with it, I'm betting this guy to win again."

I have bet him to win almost every time he has entered the gate. Never cashed a place or show bet on him, and never will.

Just one of those sentimental ones......it was only $40.00 and a double going into the last.
Old 06-17-2006, 09:52 PM
Morris Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by moodwalker
It wasn't a bet I made with my head, I am fully aware that Perfect Drift has a hard time getting to the winner's circle.

I had a bad day at the windows, and I just took what I had left and said "to hell with it, I'm betting this guy to win again."

I have bet him to win almost every time he has entered the gate. Never cashed a place or show bet on him, and never will.

Just one of those sentimental ones......it was only $40.00 and a double going into the last.
Moodwalker, I LOVE your signature. And I really don't know.
Old 06-17-2006, 10:51 PM
Saratoga

Quote:
Originally Posted by chupster2
Moodwalker, I LOVE your signature. And I really don't know.
Oh of course you do.....
Old 06-17-2006, 11:32 PM
Gulfstream Park

nice to see some positive things for a change about the big boy! he ran a helluva race and shown he still has the talent to compete with and beat the top dirt horses in the world so as long as its on a fast track, pd can handle the off going he just wont run his best race on it! wish i had a similiar situation to his owner who puts the horse in his own backyard in kansas every winter, someday ill be able to have my horses at home=) hopefully PD comes outta the race well, cant wait to see him out there again!

1 last thing, it was great today seeing the replay of his triumph over mineshaft
Old 06-18-2006, 12:11 AM
The Curragh

I had 20 bucks to win on Perfect drift and gave my bro a 20 dollar win ticket on Perfect Drift as well for his birthday. We watched the race together and thought it was in the bag for sure when he grabbed the lead, I am still convinced that he won the race! I was mad, but seeing how emotional Borel and the owners were and their tears of joy kinda made it easier to swallow.
Old 06-18-2006, 07:08 AM
Del Mar

Playa, the end result must have broken your heart though, admit it. When he drew clear all I could think about was how stupid I was not to take a shot with him at 10/1 in a field where I hated the chalk, and how many posts you would make regarding his win and how everybody on here had been so wrong about him being a hanger.
Old 06-18-2006, 09:41 AM
Monmouth Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by disappearingdan_akaplaya
nice to see some positive things for a change about the big boy! he ran a helluva race and shown he still has the talent to compete with and beat the top dirt horses in the world so as long as its on a fast track, pd can handle the off going he just wont run his best race on it! wish i had a similiar situation to his owner who puts the horse in his own backyard in kansas every winter, someday ill be able to have my horses at home=) hopefully PD comes outta the race well, cant wait to see him out there again!

1 last thing, it was great today seeing the replay of his triumph over mineshaft
That was an impressive win over Mineshaft, but Bejarno butchered the ride on Mineshaft that day.
Old 06-18-2006, 09:46 AM
Randwyck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suffolk Shippers
That was an impressive win over Mineshaft, but Bejarno butchered the ride on Mineshaft that day.
That was Robby Albarado -might as well give "credit" where "credit" is due. Mineshaft should never have lost that race......if I recall correctly, he moved way too early........
Old 06-18-2006, 10:04 AM
Bold Brooklynite

Quote:
Originally Posted by my miss storm cat
Well I'm sorry..... I might have been having flashbacks from other past Perfect Drift comments so excuse me please.....

Regardless, a very nice run by PD.

As usual.
For the record ...

... this was the first time ... in over 4,500 posts on various Forums ... that I have ever commented about Perfect Drift.

Steve and I ... and many other keen racing observers ... are correct about him ... he pulls himself up when no one is in front of him ... that's why he has so many places and shows relative to his wins.
Old 06-18-2006, 10:04 AM
Cunningham Racing

What a heart breaker...I bet 'Drift' based on his value and how the race would set up.....when he made the lead at the top of that long stretch I turned to my Dad and said, "He'll never hold on that long...somebody will get him"..and sure enough, he got nailed and I lost the Pick 4 and A LOT more on that single NOSE-loss...

The thing about Drift that everybody whop keeps up with him knows, is that he is top-shelf but doesn't like to win the close ones where he has to gut out the victory....I knew that long stretch lead would be difficult for him but he actually held better than I thought...nice ole horse....too bad he is a gelding.

The way I ended up on him (aside from the fact he figured to get a great setup) was that I just ame to the general conclusion that this year's handicap horses are not as good as last year's, so if Drift, who loves CD and the Foster distance, could run back to anything close to his BC Classic effort iof last fall then I thought that would put him right there at the wire at 10-1....it worked, but I should've known he wouldn't win it if it was close..

I had a friend call me after the race and say, "Man, I know you crushed that race because you know how to bet Perfect Drift."..and I said What are you talking about....he said, "You were always the one who said he could run second to anyone in the world so just back wheel him in the EX and TRI and it would have produced a $1,000 EX"...didn't do it though
Old 06-18-2006, 10:18 AM
pgardn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cunningham Racing
...nice ole horse....too bad he is a gelding.

Ho down there Cunningham.
If he were not a gelding, do you think we would still see him on the track? JEEZUS... this is part of what is wrong with this game. We dont get to follow specific horses cause they go to the shed.

Geld as many as possible.
BTW. The winner is also a gelding. God Bless them.
Old 06-18-2006, 10:21 AM
Morris Park

heh. Like Sheets said after Anew's fourth win since gelding "we're going to start cutting everything we claim".
Old 06-18-2006, 12:59 PM
Gulfstream Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by Betsy
That was Robby Albarado -might as well give "credit" where "credit" is due. Mineshaft should never have lost that race......if I recall correctly, he moved way too early........

yeah the almighty mineshaft, blame it on robby blame it on robby. well what was mineshafts excuse for losing to balto star earlier that year? LOL was it the jocks fault then too. fact is had robbie not moved the horse at the point of the race he still woulda been trapped behind a wall and wouldnta even finished within pissing distance of perfect drift that day. speakin of bejarano i think he won the race the following year in the slop on a huge longshot
Old 06-18-2006, 03:00 PM
Monmouth Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by Betsy
ahhh yes it was Albardo. My bad on that. Thanks for the enlightenment
Old 06-19-2006, 05:24 AM
Santa Anita

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bold Brooklynite
For the record ...

... this was the first time ... in over 4,500 posts on various Forums ... that I have ever commented about Perfect Drift.

Steve and I ... and many other keen racing observers ... are correct about him ... he pulls himself up when no one is in front of him ... that's why he has so many places and shows relative to his wins.
This is mostly legend. It isn't really true, at least not in the last 3 years. It happened Saturday. He never led in his 3rd place finish in the BC last year. He never led in his 4th place in Hawthorne GC last year. HE never led in his 3rd place Foster finish last year. He never led his 2nd place Pacific Classic finish last year, both he and Borrego closed strong wearing down Lava Man. He won the Washington Park Hdcp. He never led the Clark last year finishing 3rd. He never led Roses in May his 2 seconds to him in 2004 (if he did lead it was quite narrow as they were side by side.) He never led the Foster in his 3rd there in 2004. He never led finishing 4th in the BC. He never led finishing 3rd in the Clark in 2004 behind St Liam. He did lead the Hawthorne God Cup when Freefourinternet ran him down. I don't remember much his 4 year old year, but he won a lot more so I am guessing it didn't happen much.

I've basically got 2 races his last 4 years when he was caught on the lead in the stretch, Saturday and the 2004 Hawthorne GC. (Perhaps his turf allowance this year as well, but I don't count that one.) His high number of 2nds and 3rds are mainly because he RARELY IF EVER HAS A LEAD, not because he is giving up leads.

Last edited by horseofcourse : 06-19-2006 at 06:22 AM.
Old 06-19-2006, 07:04 AM
Steve Byk

HOC,

You're not wrong at all, but what you bring up is sort of the point.. Drift doesn't "want" the lead. He has the ability and the turn of foot to get to the front, but resists the urging to PASS HORSES. Common trait of pack horses that aren't the alpha. You can sometimes train it out of them, but not at age 6 or 7...
Old 06-19-2006, 07:14 AM
oracle80

Drift does not like to win, but will if he has to,
I'm surprised that noone mentions that the race that absolutely proved that he doesnt want to make the lead, the 2004 WHitney. After an absurd pace that was set by the Lone Star shipper Yesirgeneralsir, Roses In May was exhausted on the lead and Perfcet Drift had a perfect trip. Day had a handful and still not moved so much as hands on his mount, but when he did, shockingly he would not pass Roses. Roses batlled for a nose win and Drift hung. You could see drift just refusing to run by. He does pull himself up, and will only win win tons the best.
Old 06-19-2006, 07:36 AM
Santa Anita

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kasept
HOC,

You're not wrong at all, but what you bring up is sort of the point.. Drift doesn't "want" the lead. He has the ability and the turn of foot to get to the front, but resists the urging to PASS HORSES. Common trait of pack horses that aren't the alpha. You can sometimes train it out of them, but not at age 6 or 7...
I'll agree about not wanting to pass horses perhaps, but the thread sounded like this horse was constantly giving up leads in the stretch. I was just stating it seemed like he rarely led the last few years to give up leads.
Old 06-19-2006, 07:47 AM
oracle80

Quote:
Originally Posted by horseofcourse
I'll agree about not wanting to pass horses perhaps, but the thread sounded like this horse was constantly giving up leads in the stretch. I was just stating it seemed like he rarely led the last few years to give up leads.
Horse,
I agree that he hasnt the opportunity to pull himself up on the lead like he did on Saturday, but hes had quite a few races when he has just glided up to challenge the leader in a stretch duel with no urging from the jock and seemingly has dead aim and stunningly refuses to pass. The Whitney always stood out as a day when this was the case to me. Anybody watching that race, who watched Drift just glide up to an exhausted roses with no urging from Day whatsoever was just stunned when he refused to run by.
On Saturday he definitely pulled himself up and it was equally stunning to see that.
Old 06-19-2006, 08:02 AM
Santa Anita

Drift didn't see Seek Gold so I wouldn't call it hanging but more of a once I got the lead kinda easied thinking I had it. Even Seek Gold's jockey said, "i kept him away from Drift so he wouldn't see him and fight back."

Maybe he doesn't win alot, but dang the old guy has got heart and tries everytime. Give him his props for a very nice race on Saturday and quit trying to bash him. I don't see Funny Cide running like Drifty did Saturday nor Evening Attire. Give props where they are due. Drifty still has enough class to run with the top tier horses, he may not win, but he will get a check.

I for one am a big fan of this horse as most of you know. But if I was a person just watching racing for the first time and saw that race on Saturday by a 7 year old gelding, I may have been more intrigued to watch some more. So give Drifty some props. I think he is a damn good representative for racing.