Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Main Forum > The Paddock
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-15-2006, 12:14 PM
Bowie

Default Most Memorable Moments of 2006 POLL!!!!

With the New Year fast approaching, I thought we could post our top three most memorable moments of 2006 (these can be good or bad). What stories do you think will be associated when flashing back to 2006? Also, would you consider this year to be beneficial to Thoroughbred Racing?
Old 12-15-2006, 12:24 PM
The Curragh

Barbaro Derby and Barbaro Preakness
Old 12-15-2006, 12:25 PM
Flemington

Personally?

Good: Jazil winning the Belmont Stakes, Invasor was VERY exciting to me overall; unleashed in the Pimlico Stakes, holding off Sun King in a thriller and than taking the BCC.

Bad: The death of Saint Liam
Old 12-15-2006, 12:39 PM
Atlantic City Race Course

Most memorable moments were:

1. Discreet Cat's Cigar Mile. I haven't looked forward to a race with that much anticipation in a long time and to see him deliver the way he did made it well worth the wait.

2. Bernardini's collection of works. Even though he lost in the Classic and the competition he faced in his other races was weak, watching him run was a pleasure. He ran with such an effortless ease and I have no doubts in my mind that he's the real deal.

3. Ouija Board in the BC. Watching the old girl do it once again was special. A true world champion.

As for whether or not I think it was a good year for racing, I don't think it was. But I think it's getting to be the norm rather than the exception when we keep hearing about horses retired early for whatever reasons, trainers being suspended for drug violations, etc. All of the bad news is not even knews anymore. It's becoming the norm.
Manila, Java Gold, Alysheba, Sunday Silence, Go for Wand, In Excess, Paseana, Kotashaan, Holy Bull, Cigar, Alphabet Soup, Formal Gold, Skip Away, Artax, Tiznow, Point Given, Azeri, Candy Ride, Smarty Jones, Ghostzapper, Invasor, Curlin, Zenyatta, Zenyatta, Goldikova, Havre de Grace, Wise Dan, Wise Dan, California Chrome, American Pharoah, Arrogate, Gun Runner, Accelerate, Maximum Security, Gamine
Old 12-15-2006, 12:39 PM
Flemington

Bad: Jazil winning the Belmont Stakes. (In a year when the 3-year-old division was loaded with stars who had blockbuster talent....this nag who is still elidgible for an N2X Alw race wins one of the three Classics.)

Good: The death of Saint Liam. (Just what the breed needed...another stallion who didn't thrive until he was placed in the care of a notorious move-up trainer)

I know, I know....it's very mean to say the death of a superstar horse (or any horse for that matter) is a good thing...especially coming from someone who's been a vegetarian for three and a half weeks now----but, maybe it a good thing for the breed anyway. Basically, I saw Sightseek's two big events a little differently.
Old 12-15-2006, 12:44 PM
oracle80

Yah you really got love the death of a champion at a young age, no doubt.

I thought the most memorable moment came when Barbaro just left them for dead at the top of the lane in the Derby.
Old 12-15-2006, 12:45 PM

Good: Barbaro's races, especially the Derby and the recent news that he may soon be released from the hospital!
Bad: all the breakdowns and passing of old friends!
Old 12-15-2006, 12:47 PM
Flemington

Being serious this time....

Good: Any one of Discreet Cat's wins

Bad: Barbaro's Preakness
Old 12-15-2006, 12:49 PM
Flemington

Quote:
Originally Posted by somerfrost
Good: Barbaro's races, especially the Derby and the recent news that he may soon be released from the hospital!
Bad: all the breakdowns and passing of old friends!
That day will probably be the greatest of them all for me.
Old 12-15-2006, 12:52 PM
eurobounce

Good:Jackson's making the decision to try and save Barbaro's life.

Bad: St Liam passing on.
Old 12-15-2006, 01:02 PM
Hialeah Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Indomitable DrugS
Bad: Jazil winning the Belmont Stakes. (In a year when the 3-year-old division was loaded with stars who had blockbuster talent....this nag who is still elidgible for an N2X Alw race wins one of the three Classics.)

Good: The death of Saint Liam. (Just what the breed needed...another stallion who didn't thrive until he was placed in the care of a notorious move-up trainer)

I know, I know....it's very mean to say the death of a superstar horse (or any horse for that matter) is a good thing...especially coming from someone who's been a vegetarian for three and a half weeks now----but, maybe it a good thing for the breed anyway. Basically, I saw Sightseek's two big events a little differently.
Way to show your true colors. Wish death upon a horse because you don't like his trainer. Very classy.
Old 12-15-2006, 01:03 PM
Stuck in 1994

The Best...

1. Invasor's BC Classic
2. Discreet Cat's Cigar Mile
3. Pine Island's Alabama

The Worst...

1. Death of Pine Island
2. Death of Paseana
Old 12-15-2006, 01:05 PM
Balletto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sightseek
Personally?

Good: Jazil winning the Belmont Stakes, Invasor was VERY exciting to me overall; unleashed in the Pimlico Stakes, holding off Sun King in a thriller and than taking the BCC.

Bad: The death of Saint Liam

Ooh those are some good ones.

I thought Jazil in the Belmont was personally satisfying. Ouija Board in the F&M Turf.
Old 12-15-2006, 01:08 PM
Santa Anita

Good: Barbaro's Derby win.
Bad: The Preakness.
Worse: Cringing every time I had to watch Discreet Cat win a nothing race while facing nothing horses, and knowing I'd have to hear how great he was from Drugs later in the week.
Old 12-15-2006, 01:12 PM
Flemington

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmorioles
Worse: Cringing every time I had to watch Discreet Cat win a nothing race while facing nothing horses, and knowing I'd have to hear how great he was from Drugs later in the week.
Identify yourself....
Old 12-15-2006, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SniperSB23
Way to show your true colors. Wish death upon a horse because you don't like his trainer. Very classy.
Where did u read that? He didn't wish death upon anyone just said that he thought it could be good for the sport that another drugged up horse is not out there messing the game up anymore. It's really no different than people who think unsound horses shouldn't be bred. Maybe the way he said it was a bit hard but the point is a valid one IMO.
Manila, Java Gold, Alysheba, Sunday Silence, Go for Wand, In Excess, Paseana, Kotashaan, Holy Bull, Cigar, Alphabet Soup, Formal Gold, Skip Away, Artax, Tiznow, Point Given, Azeri, Candy Ride, Smarty Jones, Ghostzapper, Invasor, Curlin, Zenyatta, Zenyatta, Goldikova, Havre de Grace, Wise Dan, Wise Dan, California Chrome, American Pharoah, Arrogate, Gun Runner, Accelerate, Maximum Security, Gamine
Old 12-15-2006, 01:18 PM
Hialeah Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Glorious
Where did u read that? He didn't wish death upon anyone just said that he thought it could be good for the sport that another drugged up horse is not out there messing the game up anymore. It's really no different than people who think unsound horses shouldn't be bred. Maybe the way he said it was a bit hard but the point is a valid one IMO.
Like the people that would have bred to him anyways won't just go breed to another drugged up stallion. Calling his death the best moment of the year is tasteless and not even the least bit humorous. Taking someone's best and worst moments and reversing them is at best a lack of creativity and at worst rude.
Old 12-15-2006, 01:19 PM
Flemington

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balletto
Ooh those are some good ones.

I thought Jazil in the Belmont was personally satisfying. Ouija Board in the F&M Turf.
Yes it was!

I might have surpassed my 3, but I'd add Pride's last 3 races to the list. Awesome girl.
Old 12-15-2006, 01:20 PM
Flemington

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Glorious
I would NEVER wish death upon a horse....

I save those wishes for people.

In all seriousness....hearing about Saint Liam's death did not make me feel good in any way at all. I just STRONGLY disagreed with Sightseek's best moment (Jazil's Belmont)....and, though Saint Liam's sudden and early death was sad....a rational case could be made that it wasn't a bad thing for the breed...especially when you look at St. Liam's carrer both Pre and Post Dutrow Jr.
Old 12-15-2006, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SniperSB23
Like the people that would have bred to him anyways won't just go breed to another drugged up stallion. Calling his death the best moment of the year is tasteless and not even the least bit humorous. Taking someone's best and worst moments and reversing them is at best a lack of creativity and at worst rude.
I wouldn't have gone so far as calling it the best moment of the year myself. But I did at least see where he was going with that.

The comments about Jazil winning the Belmont though, I agree with them 100%. It's a sad day in the sport when horses like that can win races that are supposed to be among our better ones. Same as when Giacomo won the Derby, Wilko won the BC Juv, Sarava won the Belmont. Sure, it's great for the owners and the fans of those horses but it speaks more to the quality of our races, or lack thereof, when these kinds of things happen.