Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Main Forum > The Paddock
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-20-2019, 06:24 PM
Del Mar

Default Horse Racing Integrity Act? Chuck in 1, 2, 3.....

https://thehill.com/opinion/energy-e...t-a-crossroads[/email]
Old 05-20-2019, 07:41 PM
Keeneland

Unfortunately racing has no one to blame but itself for a lot of the negative press it has gotten and will continue to get. TSG’s inability to recognize what a disaster they had on their hands this winter at Santa Anita, coupled with their snail like response to the disaster allowed the national media to have a field day.

I could go on forever and truthfully sometimes it’s hard for me to justify my own participation. I read today that a former NYRA runner I remember well, Ocala Jim was found emaciated at a kill pen. Former owners Zilla Racing Stables stepped up and with the help of Sherrie and Acacia Courtney rescued him from the kill pen. Couldn’t help but think how awful it must’ve been for the horse and what a sad ending it could’ve been.

I love racing and have for as long as I can remember...but there are things within the sport that have made it difficult to defend.

Sorry for the ramble. I just wish it could be better.
Old 05-20-2019, 10:15 PM
Goodwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dahoss View Post
Unfortunately racing has no one to blame but itself for a lot of the negative press it has gotten and will continue to get. TSG’s inability to recognize what a disaster they had on their hands this winter at Santa Anita, coupled with their snail like response to the disaster allowed the national media to have a field day.

I could go on forever and truthfully sometimes it’s hard for me to justify my own participation. I read today that a former NYRA runner I remember well, Ocala Jim was found emaciated at a kill pen. Former owners Zilla Racing Stables stepped up and with the help of Sherrie and Acacia Courtney rescued him from the kill pen. Couldn’t help but think how awful it must’ve been for the horse and what a sad ending it could’ve been.

I love racing and have for as long as I can remember...but there are things within the sport that have made it difficult to defend.

Sorry for the ramble. I just wish it could be better.
Two thumbs up to that ramble. I feel the exact same way. I'll throw in the Kentucky Derby mess as well- the average fan has no idea what they are looking at or why, and the stewards did not provide an answer that the average fan could understand. International racing does this SO much better.

Ocala Jim was one of those 20k warriors that ran every two weeks. Love those guys
Old 05-21-2019, 09:46 AM
Detroit Race Course

Sherrie and Acacia Courtney