Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Main Forum > The Paddock
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-21-2006, 02:52 PM
Del Mar

Default Gomez Bringing Home Price Horses

Gomez has won two races today. One horse went off at 5-1. The other horse went off at 8-1. On Saturday, he won on a 14-1 shot. He won with a 9-1 shot on Friday. Everyone has been bashing Gomez, yet he has a way higher ROI that Prado or JV. If you bet Prado every race this meet, I bet you'd be getting killed. I think you would actually be ahead if you bet Gomez every time. If anyone has access to these stats, please post it.

By the way, he added to his national money lead yesterday by finishing 2nd on a 16-1 shot in the $1 million Pacific Classic. That added another $200,000 to his lead.

Prado is winning on even money shots while Gomez is winning on 10-1 shots.
Old 08-21-2006, 02:58 PM
Flemington

I have always said that he is the best in racing when riding (without pressure)on prices.My only issue with the guy is when he rides chalk. Now your seeing what we saw last year(the guy is a terrific price horse rider.) He rides great on anything 7/2 or above.
Old 08-21-2006, 03:12 PM
Del Mar

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCUDSBROTHER
I have always said that he is the best in racing when riding (without pressure)on prices.My only issue with the guy is when he rides chalk. Now your seeing what we saw last year(the guy is a terrific price horse rider.) He rides great on anything 7/2 or above.
There may be some truth to what you've been saying. Gomez can ceratinly move a horse up way more than a guy like Prado. Gomez can get much more run out of a horse than Prado.

On the other hand, Prado seems to be a bit more conistent. Based on a limited sample, Gomez has been more likely to give a bad ride on a favorite than Prado.

But overall, you're going to make much more money betting on Gomez than Prado. Gomez moves horses up so much that you have to look out for any horse that he's on. He and Patrick Valenzuela are the only two jockeys in the country that I think you can say this for. With Gomez and Valenzuela, you actually have to consider that the horse may improve by a couple lengths because they seem to move horses up so much.
Old 08-21-2006, 03:41 PM
Del Mar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rupert Pupkin
There may be some truth to what you've been saying. Gomez can ceratinly move a horse up way more than a guy like Prado. Gomez can get much more run out of a horse than Prado.

On the other hand, Prado seems to be a bit more conistent. Based on a limited sample, Gomez has been more likely to give a bad ride on a favorite than Prado.

But overall, you're going to make much more money betting on Gomez than Prado. Gomez moves horses up so much that you have to look out for any horse that he's on. He and Patrick Valenzuela are the only two jockeys in the country that I think you can say this for. With Gomez and Valenzuela, you actually have to consider that the horse may improve by a couple lengths because they seem to move horses up so much.
I share your same appreciation for Gomez but i dont know if i agree with the bolded statement. Would Pval really move a late closing turf horse up?

Different jockeys do things in different situations. You dont think horses run really well for Castellano? Prado will never have a good ROI anymore simply because he is almost always going to be on chalk whether its a false favorite or not. When given the opportunity, Edgar use to bring shots home left and right. Same for JV.

To be a really good "chalk" jockey you have to be exceptional out of the gate. Edgar is a great gate jockey and Gomez isnt nearly as good. Pval is one of the best in the world. Do you guys think that there is any merit to that?
Old 08-21-2006, 03:42 PM
boldruler

Gomez is awesome. The people complaining are just sore losers and like to whine.
Old 08-21-2006, 04:07 PM
Del Mar

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalakhani
I share your same appreciation for Gomez but i dont know if i agree with the bolded statement. Would Pval really move a late closing turf horse up?

Different jockeys do things in different situations. You dont think horses run really well for Castellano? Prado will never have a good ROI anymore simply because he is almost always going to be on chalk whether its a false favorite or not. When given the opportunity, Edgar use to bring shots home left and right. Same for JV.

To be a really good "chalk" jockey you have to be exceptional out of the gate. Edgar is a great gate jockey and Gomez isnt nearly as good. Pval is one of the best in the world. Do you guys think that there is any merit to that?
P Val and Gomez don't move every horse up, but they move a lot of horses up. I think they move horses up more than any of the other jockeys. You will often see Gomez finish 2nd or 3rd even when he's on the 4th or 5th best horse. He positions them perfectly and gets the maximum amount of run that you can get out of a horse. That is why he has the highest percentage of horses finishing in the money of any jockey at Saratoga. That's a pretty amazing statistic considering that he's not riding nearly as much chalk as the other guys. It's amazing how he'll be on some lousy 15-1 shot with no chance and he'll manage to somehow finish 3rd just by being in the right position and picking up the pieces.

With regards to your contention that Prado is better out of the gate than Gomez, I really don't know. I really haven't watched Prado out of the gate that much. watching jocks come out of the gate is not something that I focus on that much because I think that all of these jockeys are good out of the gate. I don't see too much difference from one jock to another with the exception of P val who seems to break better than anyone.
Old 08-21-2006, 04:09 PM
Idlewild Airport

Can we stop the constant threads about Gomez. Enough already, I know it was started by others months ago but it is a tired fuc king subject at this point. Tired.
Old 08-21-2006, 04:17 PM
Newmarket

Quote:
Originally Posted by randallscott35
Can we stop the constant threads about Gomez. Enough already, I know it was started by others months ago but it is a tired fuc king subject at this point. Tired.
Amen! I nominate this as the most worn out subject around here.

What difference does it make anyway in your handicapping? none.
Garrett is good, Johnny is good, and Edgar is good. none of them are machines however.
Old 08-21-2006, 04:50 PM
Flemington

Quote:
Originally Posted by randallscott35
What's funny is they are being started by his biggest supporters.One this week by Richie,and one last week by Dalakhani.
Old 08-21-2006, 06:03 PM
Del Mar

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCUDSBROTHER
What's funny is they are being started by his biggest supporters.One this week by Richie,and one last week by Dalakhani.
LOL...im guilty. Its nice to see the guy riding some winners. i wont bring it up anymore.
Old 08-21-2006, 10:01 PM
Ak-Sar-Ben

Thumbs up

I am done with this subject also, everyone thought he would fall flat on his but in NY and it has been total opposite. Johnny V has come back and is riding 1st call 4 pletcher, and gomez has still won more races than him

POINT GIVEN