Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Main Forum > The Paddock
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-21-2006, 09:44 AM
The Curragh

Default All this Hatin on Lava

Je wizz. Horse is racking up win after win. Makin all kinds of money for all kinds of people now and down the road. Look at all the hatin on here. Is it because this horse races on the West Coast?

How about just sayin what ya know is true, Lava is making a lot of people a lot of money. Props to Lava and Lava's connections.
Old 08-21-2006, 09:50 AM
oracle80

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2MinsToPost
Je wizz. Horse is racking up win after win. Makin all kinds of money for all kinds of people now and down the road. Look at all the hatin on here. Is it because this horse races on the West Coast?

How about just sayin what ya know is true, Lava is making a lot of people a lot of money. Props to Lava and Lava's connections.
Again, what is the point of your post? I don't see one other than stating the obvious and what everyone has conceded. WHo would say that he hasnt won a lot of money for people? But the issue has been raised about hwo he stacks up overall in HOY comparison and how he may fare if he leaves his home confines.
So lest get you on the record now, do you believe he will win a race if shipped away from Cali this fall? Put me down for an adamant no way in hell.
I've been watching Good Reward since he was a pup. I caught him once at a nice price in the Manhattan with a lucky good trip. But to beat him(on your home track no less when GR has the worst post and a style that doesnt suit that track) by a few lengths isn't exactly HOY type stuff. Good Reward didn't run in the WHitney, do you know why? Because he couldnt hit the board at ****ing Prairie Meadows, thats why. But he can run a strong 2nd to Lava Man? Umm, thats not hating Curt, thats called common sense and understanding what you are seeing.
Old 08-21-2006, 09:55 AM
Keeneland

Quote:
Originally Posted by oracle80
Again, what is the point of your post? I don't see one other than stating the obvious and what everyone has conceded. WHo would say that he hasnt won a lot of money for people? But the issue has been raised about hwo he stacks up overall in HOY comparison and how he may fare if he leaves his home confines.
So lest get you on the record now, do you believe he will win a race if shipped away from Cali this fall? Put me down for an adamant no way in hell.
I've been watching Good Reward since he was a pup. I caught him once at a nice price in the Manhattan with a lucky good trip. But to beat him(on your home track no less when GR has the worst post and a style that doesnt suit that track) by a few lengths isn't exactly HOY type stuff. Good Reward didn't run in the WHitney, do you know why? Because he couldnt hit the board at ****ing Prairie Meadows, thats why. But he can run a strong 2nd to Lava Man? Umm, thats not hating Curt, thats called common sense and understanding what you are seeing.
Mike, what would make you appreciate Lava Man more? If he won by 20 lengths, would you be saying this? I'll take Lava Man over Flower Alley any day of the week. At least he's consistent (whether or not he wins by open lengths.)
Old 08-21-2006, 09:59 AM
oracle80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cajungator26
Mike, what would make you appreciate Lava Man more? If he won by 20 lengths, would you be saying this? I'll take Lava Man over Flower Alley any day of the week. At least he's consistent (whether or not he wins by open lengths.)
Cajun he has to beat Grade One horses. Beating Magnum and Ace Blue and Good Reward is simply not enough to impress me. I love the horse and his story. But I can promise you that if he ventures out of Cali that he will meeting much better than Good Reward.
Old 08-21-2006, 10:00 AM
Washington Park

Whenever this horse beats good horses OUTSIDE of sunny California, I'll jump on the bandwagon. For right now, I'll pass...

I cant believe what a bunch of nerds we are. We're looking up money laundering in the dictionary.

www.myspace.com/dustinfabian
Old 08-21-2006, 10:05 AM
oracle80

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1st_Saturday_in_May
Whenever this horse beats good horses OUTSIDE of sunny California, I'll jump on the bandwagon. For right now, I'll pass...
Agreed. But the connections are doing what I would do and what is right. Hes a gelding and his only job is to make money in the most expensive races they can run in at home against the easiest competition. Its the right thing to do. I appreciate that and how good a horse he is. But when I hear HOY stuff being bandied about he really should have to beat better horses. If hes as good as those who think he is say he is, then why would this be a problem? If hes truly that good he should be able to do that. Yet, I don't see any proclamations that he will accomplish this. Sure sounds strange to me, thats for sure. All these folks telling us he should be HOy yet none of em will predict victory if he leaves california. You can't have it both ways, hes either the best horse and a deserving HOY who can win outside of Cali or he isnt. So who wants in on how he does if he leaves cali? Anyone, Bueller? Anyone?
Old 08-21-2006, 10:07 AM
Keeneland

Quote:
Cajun he has to beat Grade One horses. Beating Magnum and Ace Blue and Good Reward is simply not enough to impress me. I love the horse and his story. But I can promise you that if he ventures out of Cali that he will meeting much better than Good Reward.
And just who is much better this year? Flower Alley? LOL

I'm having a hard time understanding how Perfect Drift, Giacomo etc. aren't grade one horses. Last time I checked, they were...

I'll be honest, I am more impressed with Bright One than Lava Man, but the point is... the horse has won and done everything asked of him. I will take my chances and say that he will hit the board in the Classic if he goes.
Old 08-21-2006, 10:10 AM
oracle80

Quote:
And just who is much better this year? Flower Alley? LOL

I'm having a hard time understanding how Perfect Drift, Giacomo etc. aren't grade one horses. Last time I checked, they were...

I'll be honest, I am more impressed with Bright One than Lava Man, but the point is... the horse has won and done everything asked of him. I will take my chances and say that he will hit the board in the Classic if he goes.
Oh please Cajun, talking about slanting something to make a point(or to attempt to). Do you really believe that Giacomo and Perfect Drift are grade one horses NOW!!!! That would be like beating Funny Cide and saying you beat a multiple grade one winner!!! Giacomo has one grade one win in his life that was over a year ago and when the hell was Perfect Drifts last grade one win? Neither horse is NOW what they were. So lemme ask you this, whos the best horse that you feel that Lava Man has beaten this year? I can't wait to hear this one!!!!!
Old 08-21-2006, 10:24 AM
Keeneland

Quote:
Oh please Cajun, talking about slanting something to make a point(or to attempt to). Do you really believe that Giacomo and Perfect Drift are grade one horses NOW!!!! That would be like beating Funny Cide and saying you beat a multiple grade one winner!!! Giacomo has one grade one win in his life that was over a year ago and when the hell was Perfect Drifts last grade one win? Neither horse is NOW what they were. So lemme ask you this, whos the best horse that you feel that Lava Man has beaten this year? I can't wait to hear this one!!!!!
What difference does it make, Mike? My point isn't who he has or hasn't beaten. The point is he has done EVERYTHING he's been asked to with the exception of two bad races last year. The horse could run very well at Churchill for all you know. And right now, who will he meet in the Classic? Bernardini, Flower Alley, Invasor, etc? There may be 3 or 4 horses that are more talented than he is right now with Bernardini and Invasor included. Either way, he STILL has a shot at hitting the board. Would you argue with that?
Old 08-21-2006, 10:25 AM
oracle80

Ok, here we go!!! Here is the list of runners up to "HOY" Lava Man so far this year, in chronological order.

Whos Crying Now -(ex Calder runner up in small stakes)

Magnum-(never won a grade one, come to think of it, his only graded win was a grade 3 in the mud at Lone Star)

Cheroot- useful Cal Bred who was just beaten like a drum in a small stakes race

Kings Drama- grade one winning grass horse(last years Sword Dancer) who is in bad form this year and has yet to win a race.

Ace Blue- what can I say?

Good Reward- is now 1-8 lifetime on the dirt, with one second and no thirds. Most recent race was an off the board finish at Prairie meadows.

Now if you think that a lineup deserving of HOY stature I just have to beg to differ. Lava is a great horse, a horse with speed and guts. But to be HOY you really have to beat much better than that. If he comes East and does so then he is a lock to get HOY. So where are all the predictions that he will do so? Thats the part I don't understand. All these folks proclaiming him HOY and the best I can coax out of anyone is that he may "hit the board" in the Classic? Now how does this work exactly? I really don't get it. One minute hes HOY and the next minute noone will say he can come East and win? Explain to me where my logic is off.
Old 08-21-2006, 10:27 AM
Keeneland

Quote:
Ok, here we go!!! Here is the list of runners up to "HOY" Lava Man so far this year, in chronological order.

Whos Crying Now -(ex Calder runner up in small stakes)

Magnum-(never won a grade one, come to think of it, his only graded win was a grade 3 in the mud at Lone Star)

Cheroot- useful Cal Bred who was just beaten like a drum in a small stakes race

Kings Drama- grade one winning grass horse(last years Sword Dancer) who is in bad form this year and has yet to win a race.

Ace Blue- what can I say?

Good Reward- is now 1-8 lifetime on the dirt, with one second and no thirds. Most recent race was an off the board finish at Prairie meadows.

Now if you think that a lineup deserving of HOY stature I just have to beg to differ. Lava is a great horse, a horse with speed and guts. But to be HOY you really have to beat much better than that. If he comes East and does so then he is a lock to get HOY. So where are all the predictions that he will do so? Thats the part I don't understand. All these folks proclaiming him HOY and the best I can coax out of anyone is that he may "hit the board" in the Classic? Now how does this work exactly? I really don't get it. One minute hes HOY and the next minute noone will say he can come East and win? Explain to me where my logic is off.
Perhaps you should read my previous posts then, because I never once said he'd be HOY. The only point I was trying to make is that the horse very well may ship east and do well in the classic. That's ALL I said.
Old 08-21-2006, 10:30 AM
Turf Paradise

Mike, respectfully, no one in this thread says he's going to be HOY. I personally think he should be considered for it at this point, given that horses like FA are also still in contention. That seems fair. It certainly doesn't mean I think he'll get it -- much comes down to what should be a good race in the BCC. I'm not really sure who you're arguing against.
Old 08-21-2006, 10:32 AM
oracle80

Quote:
Perhaps you should read my previous posts then, because I never once said he'd be HOY. The only point I was trying to make is that the horse very well may ship east and do well in the classic. That's ALL I said.
I know thats what you said. But I posed that question to one and all and noone will tell me yet that they think he will come east and win. And I never have hated on Lava, quite the contrary, its a treat to see him run. Hes got guts and speed. But he tried the East Coast thing last fall and it didn't work out real well to say the least. You can't win HOY beating Cheroot and Ace Blue and Good Reward and Whos Crying Now and Magnum and Kings Drama. Thats all I'm saying. Do you really interpret that as hating or common sense?
Old 08-21-2006, 10:34 AM
Atlantic City Race Course

I don't know, does anybody think Lava Man was absolutely all out to win that race? Looked to have the thing in control from start to finish. I don't see why he can't run with Invasor and the like.

Just because it's fresh on my mind, let me mention that I just finished with the new Man o' War book. Man o' War, by all accounts, is arguably the best horse to ever run. That being said, my man beat some absolute dogs in a few of his races by no more than a length or two.

Now, I'm not comparing little old Lava Man and one of the all time greats, but I just thought I'd throw out there that there are times where a length and a half is a lot more than a length and a half.
Old 08-21-2006, 10:36 AM

By the way, this East Coaster isn't afraid to say Lava Man is the early frontrunner for HOY. I mean, for chrissakes, the horse has won FOUR GI races this year - one on the turf - and has never really been challenged. What other horse stacks up with that? Bernardini maybe, maybe Invasor, but that's about it.
Old 08-21-2006, 10:38 AM
Turf Paradise

Slot, he looked like he wasn't trying too hard to me. Seemed content to cruise at the end and needed a few quick taps to pick it up a notch for the late-runners (who were going all out). I think LM will have something left in the tank for the next one.
Old 08-21-2006, 10:38 AM
Keeneland

Quote:
I know thats what you said. But I posed that question to one and all and noone will tell me yet that they think he will come east and win. And I never have hated on Lava, quite the contrary, its a treat to see him run. Hes got guts and speed. But he tried the East Coast thing last fall and it didn't work out real well to say the least. You can't win HOY beating Cheroot and Ace Blue and Good Reward and Whos Crying Now and Magnum and Kings Drama. Thats all I'm saying. Do you really interpret that as hating or common sense?
I wouldn't interpret it as either. LOL

Until the last few preps for the classic are ran, I'll withhold my judgement on whether or not I think he can actually WIN the classic. Right now, it doesn't make much sense to pick the winner until the field is announced and we see the rest of the Classic contenders run their preps. Don't you think so?

I have a hard time understanding how you can hold it against him that he lost by shipping east last year. If I recall, wasn't the horse having hoof problems and wasn't 100% to begin with? I'm willing to give him another chance to redeem himself at CD.
Old 08-21-2006, 10:42 AM

Quote:
I wouldn't interpret it as either. LOL

Until the last few preps for the classic are ran, I'll withhold my judgement on whether or not I think he can actually WIN the classic. Right now, it doesn't make much sense to pick the winner until the field is announced and we see the rest of the Classic contenders run their preps. Don't you think so?

I have a hard time understanding how you can hold it against him that he lost by shipping east last year. If I recall, wasn't the horse having hoof problems and wasn't 100% to begin with? I'm willing to give him another chance to redeem himself at CD.
I don't need to see PP's or entries to know Lava Man is a legit contender for the Breeders Cup Classic.
Old 08-21-2006, 10:44 AM
Keeneland

Quote:
Originally Posted by slotdirt
I don't need to see PP's or entries to know Lava Man is a legit contender for the Breeders Cup Classic.
Of course he's a legit contender. The question is... do you think he can WIN the whole damn thing? I DO need to see PP's and entries before I make that call.
Old 08-21-2006, 10:53 AM

Based on this year's form? Of course I think he can win the thing. I think Bernardini could be the goods and could also win, same with Invasor. Shoot, I wouldn't even put Sun King out of it if he continues with his recent form. I've been on the Flower Alley bandwagon forever, and I still think he'll be a contender once we get to BC day.