Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Main Forum > The Paddock
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 08-20-2006, 06:56 PM
Churchill Downs

Default All together now - La-va! La-Va!

Any questions now?
Old 08-20-2006, 06:56 PM
Woodbine

Default Lava Man Is The NUTS

No doubt about it. What else do you want from this guy? Can he go BC Classic? Or is that too much to ask? Very impressive.
Old 08-20-2006, 06:58 PM
Dee Tee Stables

and thank goodness he hasn't got any, so he can come out and play for a while yet.
Old 08-20-2006, 07:01 PM
The Curragh

once Lava Man gets to the East Coast on a real racetrack against some real Grade 1 horses he will run up the track
Old 08-20-2006, 07:04 PM
Churchill Downs

So Perfect Drift isn't a real G1 horse?
Old 08-20-2006, 07:05 PM
Churchill Downs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seattleallstar
once Lava Man gets to the East Coast on a real racetrack against some real Grade 1 horses he will run up the track
I don't think so...He beat Perfect Drift quite easily and Perfect Drift is considered a top East Coast horse. I think that Invasor and Bernardini are the only two that can beat him because he is in a lot better form than he was last year. He is like a fine wine...gets better as he ages. I'm not going to knock him because the horse is all heart and has had, by far, the toughest campaign of the year so far. He is the goods, and it seems that all he knows how to do is win.
oracle80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedigree Ann
No hes not.
Coach Pants

Slowest Pac Classic ever. Ho hum.
Old 08-20-2006, 07:06 PM
oracle80

Quote:
Originally Posted by kentuckyrosesinmay
I don't think so...He beat Perfect Drift quite easily and Perfect Drift is considered a top East Coast horse. I think that Invasor and Bernardini are the only two that can beat him because he is in a lot better form than he was last year. He is like a fine wine...gets better as he ages. I'm not going to knock him because the horse is all heart and has had, by far, the toughest campaign of the year so far. He is the goods, and it seems that all he knows how to do is win.
In what word of insanity is PD considered a top East Coast horse? Fantasyland?
Old 08-20-2006, 07:07 PM
oracle80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pillow Pants
Dude, Good Reward was 1 win in 7 dirt starts prior to this race with no 2nds or 3rds either. Are we really supposed to jump up and down because he beat Good Reward in the slowest running ever on a track that has been playing very fast? The emperors new clothes come off if he ever comes East. BUt I doubt that will happen, some excuse will come up.
Old 08-20-2006, 07:08 PM
Dee Tee Stables

Quote:
and in lava mans defense, the track has been playing slow. i'm sure they've been tinkering with it due to the breakdowns, made it deeper....

but the drift a top horse? no. 2nd tier, makes money, but he's not the cream...
Louisiana Downs

Quote:
Of course he is not a real G1 horse he hasn't won in 14 months and is obviously in his worst year out of the past couple by not even posting a beyer over 100 so far this season.
The Curragh

Perfect Drift didnt run his race. Gee i wonder what happened to Lava Man at Belmont when he went over. You people gotta put this in perspective with Lava Man and his "Grade 1" wins
Old 08-20-2006, 07:09 PM
oracle80

Quote:
Any questions now?
yeah Ann is here a question, are you completely insane? he beats a horse like Good Reward(prior record on dirt was 7-1-0-0, LOL!!!) and you want us to really think that makes him the goods? Geez, pardon me for being realistic, but if he ever comes east, I can assure you that he will be facing much harder than Good Reward.
Old 08-20-2006, 07:11 PM
oracle80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gauchos0522
Of course he is not a real G1 horse he hasn't won in 14 months and is obviously in his worst year out of the past couple by not even posting a beyer over 100 so far this season.
Gauchos, don't try using common sense with someone who thinks that races are decided by who the horse is sired by. Or with someone who thinks Perfect Drift is a CURRENT grade one horse.
Old 08-20-2006, 07:11 PM
Hialeah Park

Quote:
I thought he made a nice move at the 3/8 pole. Yes, it was slow.
Good ride. Nice that he left enough in the tank. Good Reward was coming.
This race was all about smart and stupid jockeys. I see this kind of race more often on the grass than this one.
Anyway, good for Lava Man and his connections.
We'll see....
Old 08-20-2006, 07:12 PM
The Curragh

Lava Man is another cheap socal handicap horse, who wont do crap when in a race with real quality horses from back east. People get duped by these high priced California claimers who win Grade 1's. Last true Grade 1 horse from socal had to be Candy Ride, and Mizzen Mast. Even now im beginning to wonder about Rock Hard Ten's quality
Old 08-20-2006, 07:13 PM
oracle80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seattleallstar
Lava Man is another cheap socal handicap horse, who wont do crap when in a race with real quality horses from back east. People get duped by these high priced California claimers who win Grade 1's. Last true Grade 1 horse from socal had to be Candy Ride, and Mizzen Mast. Even now im beginning to wonder about Rock Hard Ten's quality
You mean the Rock Hard Ten who never won a race outside of California?
Old 08-20-2006, 07:14 PM
Dee Tee Stables

i really wish you naysayers would quit peeing in lava mans wheaties. what the hell more does this guy have to do? like it's HIS fault his trainer/owner are west coast people. he hasn't taken a step wrong all year. why hold against him what MAY happen when he comes east! why can't you just give him a bit of a hand for winning all year? against anyone who showed? and he just accomplished in one year what it took best pal to do in three, something that's never been done....but oh, no! we have to hear speculation about what will happen when he comes east. gimme a break.

here's to the BEST horse in the west. i'll hold off judgement on his east coast ability when he actually comes over here in a few months, and shows if he can or not. til then, who knows?! um, no one does.
Old 08-20-2006, 07:16 PM
Oaklawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by oracle80
yeah Ann is here a question, are you completely insane? he beats a horse like Good Reward(prior record on dirt was 7-1-0-0, LOL!!!) and you want us to really think that makes him the goods? Geez, pardon me for being realistic, but if he ever comes east, I can assure you that he will be facing much harder than Good Reward.
I looked at the maiden race purses today at Del Mar $71,000 in 2 races and $68,000 in another. The money out west must not be the same. I still say that if the horses out west were so easy everybody would ship in and take it. LAVA MAN wins another MILLION Dallor race that was open to all willing to try.