Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Main Forum > The Paddock
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 08-20-2006, 03:00 PM
Santa Anita

Default NYRA has edge in bidding

it seems to be that their non-profit model gives a large edge to the horse industry in NY...http://news.bloodhorse.com/viewstory.asp?id=34948

Last edited by sumitas : 08-20-2006 at 11:13 PM.
Old 08-20-2006, 06:25 PM
eurobounce

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumitas
it seems to be that their non-profit model gives a large edge to the horse industry in NY...http://news.bloodhorse.com/viewstory.asp?id=34948
Well the NYRA is going to maintain the tracks. Everything else is just smoke screen and a way for New York politicians to get their pockets lined. Funny how all this comes during election year.
Old 08-20-2006, 06:42 PM
Hialeah Park

Quote:
Good article.
If you read between the lines...notice that slots aren't mentioned...
just like other tracks, it seems to me that the one armed bandits attract more people than the racing.
We'll see.
Old 08-20-2006, 07:02 PM
oracle80

Quote:
Originally Posted by eurobounce
Well the NYRA is going to maintain the tracks. Everything else is just smoke screen and a way for New York politicians to get their pockets lined. Funny how all this comes during election year.
YOu wanna know the bottom line? Churchill Downs, and Gulfstream, etc, their purses SUCK as does the quality of racing. This is the opinion of every major trainer I have engaged on the subject up here. They run a few big Saturday's with 5 or 6 stakes races to try and fool everyone into thinking that they are putting on a great show. Meanwhile the weekday cards are embarassing. And trainers search futilely for allowance races which they won't write so they can split a division of 8 claimers.
Bottom line Euro is that owners and trainers want good day in and day out purses and racing. Nothing more or less. NYRA has provided that for decades. YOu wanna compare that garbage that CD runs to NYRA? Are you kidding me? CD is a total disgrace. Card after card of the cheapest claiming mules alive. YOu wanna argue that? You wanna go head to head on the numbers? Lets go buddy boy, name the bet. I can show you the average CD purse structure as compared to NYRA's. WHile you are at it, NYRA clobbers any Magna track's purses and quality as well. You care to make a wager on that? Do you really believe the tales you tell? If you do, name the bet.
Old 08-20-2006, 07:54 PM
Bold Brooklynite

Quote:
Originally Posted by oracle80
Bottom line Euro is that owners and trainers want good day in and day out purses and racing. Nothing more or less. NYRA has provided that for decades.
I've got to disagree with you on this one, my good man.

New York has always been far and away the racing capital of America. There are far, far more racing fans ... and much greater enthusiasm ... here than in any other market.

New York purses should be triple the purses elsewhere ... but they're not. Any differential ... and by the way you're wrong if you look at the Del Mar purses ($68,000 MSWs) ... isn't due to the NYRA ... it's due to the size and scope of the market ...

... and would be much greater under better ownership and management.
Old 08-20-2006, 08:07 PM
Santa Anita

the logic of the NYRA argument is comprehensible. non-profit means shareholders do not factor and more money can therefor go to purses and breeding incentives. and the NYRA has done all this without the benefit of slots.
Old 08-20-2006, 08:09 PM
Bold Brooklynite

Quote:
the logic of the NYRA argument is comprehensible. non-profit means shareholders do not factor and more money can therefor go to purses and breeding incentives. and the NYRA has done all this without the benefit of slots.
Uh-huh ... and if non-profitism really worked that well ...

... the Soviet Union would be the world's greatest economy.

Sheeeesh !!!
Old 08-20-2006, 08:14 PM
oracle80

Quote:
Sumitas, if you keep using logic and common sense you are gonna really have these folks up in arms. Don't you know that?
Ask the horseman down in Gulfstream this past winter who couldnt even get Gulf to write allowance races how they like for profit racing. Better yet, make you attend the CD claiming festival this upcoming September.
Bold, you are much more intelligent than the nonsense you just posted. yeah, Dle Mar's MSW's are high. But thats not fair. You have to factor in Hollywood's and Sa's as well. You also insult your own intelligence by only citing MSW's, Hell Bold, they write 6 cheap claimers a day!!! Barely an allowance race to be had. Spa's purses day in and day out blow del Mar's away. Wanna take a look at tomorrow's purses averages at both tracks? I know you don't wanna do that, because i haven't even looked yet but will go "all in" on a bet that Spas purses tomorrow dwarf Del Mar's on an average per race comparison. How about a blind "all in"? I will look now.
Old 08-20-2006, 08:18 PM
oracle80

8/21
Del Mar- 301,000 in purses, 8 races, average purse 37,625
Saratoga- 415,000 in purses, 9 races, average purse 46,111
The winner, and STILL undisputed heavyweight champion of the world, the NYRA!!!
Old 08-20-2006, 08:18 PM
Bold Brooklynite

Quote:
Wanna take a look at tomorrow's purses averages at both tracks? I know you don't wanna do that, because i haven't even looked yet but will go "all in" on a bet that Spas purses tomorrow dwarf Del Mar's on an average per race comparison. How about a blind "all in"? I will look now.
You win ... Del Mar is dark tomorrow ... no purses at all.
Old 08-20-2006, 08:20 PM
oracle80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bold Brooklynite
You win ... Del Mar is dark tomorrow ... no purses at all.
Del Mar is not dark, and you may be able to represent this to the average guy, but not to me. I will do Wed's next. I swear i haven't looked yet, wanna go all in on the blind. I will do so. Will look now and I gurantee total victory.
Old 08-20-2006, 08:21 PM
Bold Brooklynite

Quote:
8/21
Del Mar- 301,000 in purses, 8 races, average purse 37,625
Saratoga- 415,000 in purses, 9 races, average purse 46,111
The winner, and STILL undisputed heavyweight champion of the world, the NYRA!!!
But seriously ...

... do you really think that Saratoga purses should only be about 20% higher than Del Mar purses? Given the size and depth and frenzy of the New York thoroughbred market ... versus laid back Southern California?
Old 08-20-2006, 08:24 PM
oracle80

8/23
Del mar- 376,000 in purses, 8 races, average purse 47,000
Saratoga- 489,000 in purses, 9 races, average purse 54,333 bucks

The author also wishes to note that its not NYRA's fault that Del Mar can't put on 9 race shows daily and should be distributing even HIGHER purses.
In any case, if you wanna go triple or nothing on Thursday's cards when they come out, just lemme know. Lets just say I'm not real worried about it.
Old 08-20-2006, 08:26 PM
oracle80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bold Brooklynite
But seriously ...

... do you really think that Saratoga purses should only be about 20% higher than Del Mar purses? Given the size and depth and frenzy of the New York thoroughbred market ... versus laid back Southern California?
What does laid back have to do with anything.
oh, one other thing!!! NYRA made a very wise and good decison to deepen its surface before the meet to show the world that Polytrack isn't the answer to safe racing, a good surface is. To this point I can recall only one possible breakdown that was catastrophic and Im not even sure about that.
The surface has been kind and forgiving, and very safe. Which basically shows that all you need to do is throw down a deeper safer surface over a good cushion and you can save 10 mill on polytrack. Gee, what a shock.
Old 08-20-2006, 08:36 PM
Bold Brooklynite

Quote:
What does laid back have to do with anything.
oh, one other thing!!! NYRA made a very wise and good decison to deepen its surface before the meet to show the world that Polytrack isn't the answer to safe racing, a good surface is. To this point I can recall only one possible breakdown that was catastrophic and Im not even sure about that.
The surface has been kind and forgiving, and very safe. Which basically shows that all you need to do is throw down a deeper safer surface over a good cushion and you can save 10 mill on polytrack. Gee, what a shock.
Very true ...

... but watch out a couple of years from now for an outbreak of bowed tendons.
Old 08-20-2006, 10:25 PM
eurobounce

Quote:
YOu wanna know the bottom line? Churchill Downs, and Gulfstream, etc, their purses SUCK as does the quality of racing. This is the opinion of every major trainer I have engaged on the subject up here. They run a few big Saturday's with 5 or 6 stakes races to try and fool everyone into thinking that they are putting on a great show. Meanwhile the weekday cards are embarassing. And trainers search futilely for allowance races which they won't write so they can split a division of 8 claimers.
Bottom line Euro is that owners and trainers want good day in and day out purses and racing. Nothing more or less. NYRA has provided that for decades. YOu wanna compare that garbage that CD runs to NYRA? Are you kidding me? CD is a total disgrace. Card after card of the cheapest claiming mules alive. YOu wanna argue that? You wanna go head to head on the numbers? Lets go buddy boy, name the bet. I can show you the average CD purse structure as compared to NYRA's. WHile you are at it, NYRA clobbers any Magna track's purses and quality as well. You care to make a wager on that? Do you really believe the tales you tell? If you do, name the bet.
Did you even read my post? I just said that the NYRA will maintain the license to operate the tracks. What else do you want?
Old 08-20-2006, 10:31 PM
Ak-Sar-Ben

Lightbulb

The quality of Stock at Del Mar this year sucks compaired to years in the past, therefore the purses should be way higher in NY
Old 08-20-2006, 10:34 PM
eurobounce

Then again you have to compare apples to apples, compare Keeneland and Saratoga. Then we can take Churchill's fall meet and compare it to Belmont Fall meet.
Old 08-20-2006, 10:48 PM
Ak-Sar-Ben

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by eurobounce
Then again you have to compare apples to apples, compare Keeneland and Saratoga. Then we can take Churchill's fall meet and compare it to Belmont Fall meet.

Compairing NO sayin the FACTS thats diffrent
Old 08-21-2006, 10:34 AM
Santa Anita

good heaven's. the Belmont fall meet is a great meet. NYRA's model returns so much to horse racing year round, to all their meets.