Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > The Charles Hatton Reading Room
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-16-2009, 09:24 AM
Flemington

Default Top 5 greatest failures I've seen among racehorses

My top five horses who had a race and the probability for projected improvement that put them on a justifiable path to greatness ... only to see said horse hang around for more than a few races and never improve.

#1. Afternoon Deelites. A Dick Mandella trained West Virgina bred who was being advertised as the next Seattle Slew or Spectacular Bid after his incredible win in the Hollywood Futurity.

He did end his career 5-for-5 with 4 Graded Stakes wins in sprint races ... but suffered humiliating defeats in the Kentucky Derby and Santa Anita Handicap to horses he toyed with early on in his career.

#2. Pulpit. A Frank Brothers trained son of A. P. Indy. Won his debut going 7fs at Gulfstream with a 107 Beyer.

When you're a son of strong finishing marathoner like A. P. Indy - and you win a debut sprinting like he did. If you don't eventually make the Hall of Fame you're probably a gigantic failure.

He never panned out after the debut win - but was productive enough to win the Blue Grass and run a soundly beaten 4th in the Derby in his final two starts.

#3. Arazi. Won the Breeders Cup Juvenile with just about the most visually devastating sustained move you'll ever see.

Insanely impressive performance for a Euro shipper making his dirt debut - he had won 3 straight Gr 1's with ease in his 3 prior starts in Europe.

Could only manage an 8th place Derby finish and flopped as the favorite in the BC Mile on turf in his next two Euro visits. But did win a Gr 2 in Europe very nicely - and his middle move in the Derby was very impressive even though he hung badly.

#4. Lil's Lad. Neil Howard took over the training of this horse as a 3-year-old and his four races at Gulfstream Park in the winter of '98 were about as scary as anything you'll see from a newly turned 3-year-old.

He took his first start in an alw sprint by 16.5 lengths, in hand throughout, with a 109 Beyer. He took his 2nd start in an alw route by 6 lengths with a 106 Beyer. The camera guy couldn't even keep up with him .. Halory Hunter finished 2nd in the alw race .. he later won the Blue Grass and was 4th in the Ky Derby.

Lil's Lad dominated Coronado's Quest in a 113 Beyer Fountain of Youth win in his 3rd GP start. He was DQ'd from victory in the Florida Derby in his 4th and final start of the meet .. probably the greatest losing performance I've ever seen in a Ky Derby prep.

After leaving GP he was 2nd in the Blue Grass at odds of 2/5. Was sidelined and had to miss the Derby. Other than a nice 4yo debut he pretty much stunk it up after that.

#5. Badge of Silver. http://www.airdriestud.com/pdf/badge_pp.pdf

Won his first three races like he was the best 3yo in America at any distance ranging from 4 furlongs to 14 furlongs. Just sensational visual performances that also got big figures.

Injury issues plauged him though. He did have a few good moments later on. Including a 3rd place finish in the Breeders Cup Mile while making his first start off of an 11 month layoff .. a very tough thing to do. He also won a Graded Stake on dirt over Commentator and Dynever with a 111 Beyer.

* I didn't include Favorite Trick even though he won Horse of the Year as a 2-year-old ... because basically he always sucked.

* I also didn't include Discreet Cat because he didn't fall off the path until his 2nd winter-long Dubai trip. He was scratched from his World Cup prep race at the last second and basically became of claiming horse ability after that.
Old 10-16-2009, 09:28 AM
Saratoga

If I can use one word to describe your list of "failures". Absurd.
Old 10-16-2009, 09:42 AM
Narragansett Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by jms62
Agreed. How can multiple stake winners be considered great failures?

This topic should begin and end with the Green Monkey..........
$16 mil with a $10,200 return

And how about Zippy? 0 for 100
Old 10-16-2009, 09:43 AM
Flemington

Quote:
Why?

I'm not talking about horses who sold for $16 million because they fooled someone in an undertack show .. or sold for $11 million because they fooled someone with looks.

I'm talking about horses who were actually on the path to greatness - and had logical reasons to believe they would improve - and they certainly didn't come close to achieving greatness.
Old 10-16-2009, 09:46 AM
Saratoga

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Indomitable DrugS
Why?

I'm not talking about horses who sold for $16 million because they fooled someone in an undertack show .. or sold for $11 million because they fooled someone with looks.

I'm talking about horses who were actually on the path to greatness - and had logical reasons to believe they would improve - and they certainly didn't come close to achieving greatness.
Drugs. First line of Slewboppers post verbatim is my reasoning.
Old 10-16-2009, 09:49 AM
Woodbine

Drugs, what about Sweet Catomine?
Old 10-16-2009, 09:50 AM
Flemington

Quote:
Drugs. First line of Slewboppers post verbatim is my reasoning.
Easy. Multiple stakes winners can be great failures - to me anyway - because they were cut out to be all-time greats and they didn't achieve it.
Old 10-16-2009, 09:51 AM
Atlantic City Race Course

Quote:
Originally Posted by smuthg
Tough to consider her a failure considering the circumstances though, no?
Old 10-16-2009, 09:51 AM
Flemington

Quote:
Originally Posted by smuthg
If I had to do females ... she, along with Halfbrideld would be very high on the list. She didn't race long enough though afterwards to get a top 2 or 3 ranking though.
Old 10-16-2009, 09:58 AM
Jerome Park

I think that grey Canadian horse (i think a stronach) that won the Withers I believe and everyone was saying he was going to be the next Bernardini. I think he would qualify.
Old 10-16-2009, 10:00 AM
Flemington

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antitrust32
I think that grey Canadian horse (i think a stronach) that won the Withers I believe and everyone was saying he was going to be the next Bernardini. I think he would qualify.
Harlem Rocker?
Old 10-16-2009, 10:13 AM
Churchill Downs

I really enjoy your various lists. Thank you for posting them. One thing I will note about the above list is all the horses had competent trainers. Their detours from the path to greatness were the results of circumstances more than boneheaded training decisions. That might be a good topic for a future list-budding superhorses ruined by their trainers.
Old 10-16-2009, 10:17 AM
Jerome Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sightseek
Harlem Rocker?

yes
Old 10-16-2009, 10:19 AM
Flemington

Harlem Rocker crossed the wire first in the Cigar Mile the last time he raced. The Cigar is the same track and distance as the Withers. I would say he was a failure ... but no way did he ever appear on the path to greatness.

Getting back to Afternoon Deelites ... the 111 Beyer he got in the Hollywood Futurity is, to the best of my knowledge, the fastest two-turn dirt number ever published for a 2yo on a fast track.

I think most people would have guessed Street Sense's 10 length BC Juvie win would be the fastest .. but that was only a 108.

It's not just the figure for AD though ... that was his first lifetime start in a route race. He won the race with disdainful ease in 1:40 3/5ths and looked like routing would be his thing and not sprinting. 2nd place was beaten 6.5 lengths. 3rd place beaten 16.5 lengths.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7c08XH52OHc

The winner was being compared to Seattle Slew ... but it was the obliterated 2nd place finisher who would sweep the Fla Derby, Ky Derby, Belmont, and Travers as a 3yo the following year.

Old 10-16-2009, 10:20 AM
Flemington

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaTruth
I really enjoy your various lists. Thank you for posting them. One thing I will note about the above list is all the horses had competent trainers. Their detours from the path to greatness were the results of circumstances more than boneheaded training decisions. That might be a good topic for a future list-budding superhorses ruined by their trainers.
Yeah - a lot of trainers have sabotaged some pretty decent horses.

I think you'll see a lot more of that now than before ... the reason is because of synthetic surfaces. You'll see horses who are much better on one particular surface wasting away on a surface that isn't there preferred surface.
Old 10-16-2009, 10:24 AM
Coach Pants

Neil Howard and competence is a questionable combination.
Old 10-16-2009, 10:34 AM
Hawthorne

Geesh Discreet Cat has a well documented throat problem after returning from Dubai, I would hardly call him a failure. I also look for him to have a hugely successful stud career, he was a very nice horse.
Old 10-16-2009, 11:16 AM
Flemington

I think he will be a very good stallion as well.

War Pass is another who I think might rank top 5 on a lot of lists. I wasn't as big a fan of his good races as the huge numbers would suggest ... but he still was an outstanding 2yo - who came apart at 3.
Old 10-16-2009, 11:19 AM
Flemington

Two of my all-time favorite races ...

Lil's Lad's Florida Derby: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VUqQepcYSXA

Arazi's BC Juvie: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UzbPhYfiCNo
Old 10-16-2009, 11:22 AM
Jerome Park

who are this years greatest failures?

Fresian Fire & Stardom Bound... though i guess its not really fair with injuries and all.