Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Main Forum > The Paddock
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 08-10-2006, 06:56 AM
Arlington Park

Default Best broodmare (revisited)

My pick for the Arlington Million on Saturday is Cacique. If I am right and he wins it, it will certainly add yet another reason to include the mare Hasili to the list of best broodmares. I don't recall seeing her mentioned on the previous thread about this subject, but her record as a mommy is quite remarkable.
Along with her two BC winners, Intercontinental and Banks Hill, she has produced Matriarch and Beverly D winner Heat Haze, and now Cacique!!

Of her six foals, Dansili is FIFTH in earnings, and he earned over $500,000!!! Incredible. After Cacique's win on Saturday her legacy will continue to grow.
Old 08-10-2006, 07:01 AM
5'8".. but all man!

Quote:
Originally Posted by miraja2
My pick for the Arlington Million on Saturday is Cacique. If I am right and he wins it, it will certainly add yet another reason to include the mare Hasili to the list of best broodmares. I don't recall seeing her mentioned on the previous thread about this subject, but her record as a mommy is quite remarkable.
Along with her two BC winners, Intercontinental and Banks Hill, she has produced Matriarch and Beverly D winner Heat Haze, and now Cacique!!

Of her six foals, Dansili is FIFTH in earnings, and he earned over $500,000!!! Incredible. After Cacique's win on Saturday her legacy will continue to grow.

I wish him the best of luck and if he had came along at another time, he would be near the top of my list, as I loved Intercontinental. I miss seeing that gal run. But, he has been a great opponent for English Channel and I look forward to another running of their fast developing rivalry this weekend.
Old 08-10-2006, 07:20 AM
Arlington Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by GPK
I wish him the best of luck and if he had came along at another time, he would be near the top of my list, as I loved Intercontinental. I miss seeing that gal run. But, he has been a great opponent for English Channel and I look forward to another running of their fast developing rivalry this weekend.
Yeah it should be a great race to watch, and a great one to bet. I like English Channel too, but I feel he will probably be overbet in a race with such a great field & I think I will probably get a good price on a horse like Cacique. Hard to know for sure, but I think the tote board will determine the way I play this race more than it does in most races.
If Cacique does win, I really think Hasili will start to get more credit. Intercontinental, Heat Haze, Bank's Hill, and Cacique. Amazing!! I'll take those 4 over the top 4 runners from any other broodmare I can think of in the last 30 years!!
Old 08-10-2006, 07:36 AM
5'8".. but all man!

Quote:
Yeah it should be a great race to watch, and a great one to bet. I like English Channel too, but I feel he will probably be overbet in a race with such a great field & I think I will probably get a good price on a horse like Cacique. Hard to know for sure, but I think the tote board will determine the way I play this race more than it does in most races.
If Cacique does win, I really think Hasili will start to get more credit. Intercontinental, Heat Haze, Bank's Hill, and Cacique. Amazing!! I'll take those 4 over the top 4 runners from any other broodmare I can think of in the last 30 years!!

Im gonna bet EC no matter what. Only the odds are gonna dictate how much. Low odds, not alot of money, higher odds, more money. Just wish I knew more about the Euro invadors.
Old 08-10-2006, 09:20 AM
Balletto

Are we talking best mares currently producing or best broodmares of all time?

For me, almost even more important than being a producer of 5 G1 winners, is being able to produce stakes winners who inturn produce stakes winners. You can be a broodmare of the year but not necessarily be a "bluehen" in my book. Its all about creating a fountain-head of stakes winners that carries over generations.

I look at such notable and fantastic producers such as Dahlia, and although she accomplished so much on the track and in the shed, her daughters werent able to pass on the goods, which is going to prevent her from being a true bluehen.

Hasili's daughters are still young and fully expect them to be top broodmares, so I wont conceed the name "bluehen" onto her yet, but I expect to within 10 years.
Old 08-10-2006, 09:26 AM
Atlantic City Race Course

What about Dear Birdie?
Old 08-10-2006, 09:27 AM

Seriously, Balletto, interested in your opinion on this particular topic. You're as well versed in pedigree as just about anybody.
Old 08-10-2006, 09:37 AM
Balletto

Well, Ellen Parker, who I respect immensely, has designated her as a "reines-de-course", which is the phrase she coined for the female counterparts of chef-de-races. But, in my opinion, I think its too soon to designate her as one.

She's obviously a top producer, but her daughters are going to have to step it up and produce well for me to consider her a bluehen. She's another example of a Broodmare of the Year type (and deservingly so), but I think for her to earn the reines title she was given, her daughters need to carry her legacy in a big way.

I usually agree with almost every aspect of Ellen Parker's idealogy, but this one time it left a little surprised. But then again, she knows a lot more than me, so maybe she sees something I dont.
Old 08-10-2006, 09:39 AM

What has become of Bird Town? That should be a good barometer of Dear Birdie, no?

How about Personal Ensign? SHe has to be up there somewhere.
Old 08-10-2006, 09:42 AM
Keeneland

would love to hear a convo between Balletto and Pedigree Ann.
Old 08-10-2006, 09:44 AM

I was just reading a pretty fascinating article about Secretariat in relation to breeding. Talk about great broodmare sires....
Old 08-10-2006, 10:04 AM
Arlington Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balletto
Are we talking best mares currently producing or best broodmares of all time?

For me, almost even more important than being a producer of 5 G1 winners, is being able to produce stakes winners who inturn produce stakes winners. You can be a broodmare of the year but not necessarily be a "bluehen" in my book. Its all about creating a fountain-head of stakes winners that carries over generations.
Yes I suppose these are two different discussions. In terms of what her offspring have accomplished on the track (not in the shed) I think she is the best "currently producing" mare and may begining to merit discussion among the best of all time. Producing two different BC winners is amazing enough. Then when you add her other quality offspring she amazes me, and she isn't even done!! Who knows what a great horse like Cacique will accomplish the remainder of the year and what else she will produce.
Old 08-10-2006, 10:04 AM
Balletto

Quote:
Originally Posted by slotdirt
What has become of Bird Town? That should be a good barometer of Dear Birdie, no?

How about Personal Ensign? SHe has to be up there somewhere.
Personal Ensign has been a monster in the shed and I think its fair to say that her daughters are starting to prove her worth as a bluehen and a Phipps' foundation mare.

And Pedigree Ann def knows her stuff. I've loved her posts. Very informative. Any chance she happens to be Ann Peters? If she is, she has my utmost respect and admiration... big fan.
Old 08-10-2006, 10:07 AM
Washington Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by dellinger63
would love to hear a convo between Balletto and Pedigree Ann.
Lol, I wouldnt have a clue. It would be waaaaaaaaay over my head

I cant believe what a bunch of nerds we are. We're looking up money laundering in the dictionary.

www.myspace.com/dustinfabian
Old 08-10-2006, 10:09 AM

Throw sumitas in there, and they might as well be speaking Chinese.
Old 08-10-2006, 10:20 AM
Balletto

Quote:
Yes I suppose these are two different discussions. In terms of what her offspring have accomplished on the track (not in the shed) I think she is the best "currently producing" mare and may begining to merit discussion among the best of all time. Producing two different BC winners is amazing enough. Then when you add her other quality offspring she amazes me, and she isn't even done!! Who knows what a great horse like Cacique will accomplish the remainder of the year and what else she will produce.
No question she's paving her way to be a breed-shaping mare. I would say her successes in the shed over-shadow even Toussaud.

Besides those two, another one to watch is Serena's Song-- 3 Graded winners, 1 stakes winner and one stakes-placed winner from 6 foal to race.

A mare, who in my opinion deserves reines designation especially when compared to Dear Birdie, is La Affirmed. She may be the newest member of the bluehen ranks.

La Affirmed is still in production for Brushwood, I believe. She's an '83 Affirmed mare out of the Round Table mare, La Mesa. She is tail-female to Busanda, the dam of Buckpasser, which is one of the strongest branches of the La Troienne clan.

La Affirmed is the dam of multiple G3 winner Caress (won over males), G3 winner Country Cat, G2 winner Della Francesca, G3 winner Bernstein, and G3 placed Unify.

But more impressively, in my opinion, she's the granddam of G1 winner Sky Mesa, G3 winner Wiseman's Ferry, G2-placed Monthir, stakes-placed Mogador, and stakes-placed Quite Rightly.

Her daughters are producing extremely well and her sons and grandsons are making an impact in the shed. Its still a little early to give her all the glory, but I think she will be one of the new inductees of bluehens.

Here's a link to her page from last year's sept. sale where her daughter sold. http://www.keeneland.com/sales/sep05/pdfs/261.pdf And this page is always growing.
Old 08-10-2006, 10:32 AM

Well of course, La Affirmed is impressive. Affirmed and Secretariat always have bad raps as producers, but if you look at their broodmares, they're dang impressive.
Old 08-10-2006, 10:59 AM
Keeneland

Quote:
Personal Ensign has been a monster in the shed and I think its fair to say that her daughters are starting to prove her worth as a bluehen and a Phipps' foundation mare.

And Pedigree Ann def knows her stuff. I've loved her posts. Very informative. Any chance she happens to be Ann Peters? If she is, she has my utmost respect and admiration... big fan.
don't know her last name but know she hails from Lexington and has published articles and or books on the subject. Also remember she had something to do with pedigreequery.com.
Old 08-10-2006, 11:29 AM
Keeneland

Quote:
No question she's paving her way to be a breed-shaping mare. I would say her successes in the shed over-shadow even Toussaud.

Besides those two, another one to watch is Serena's Song-- 3 Graded winners, 1 stakes winner and one stakes-placed winner from 6 foal to race.

A mare, who in my opinion deserves reines designation especially when compared to Dear Birdie, is La Affirmed. She may be the newest member of the bluehen ranks.

La Affirmed is still in production for Brushwood, I believe. She's an '83 Affirmed mare out of the Round Table mare, La Mesa. She is tail-female to Busanda, the dam of Buckpasser, which is one of the strongest branches of the La Troienne clan.

La Affirmed is the dam of multiple G3 winner Caress (won over males), G3 winner Country Cat, G2 winner Della Francesca, G3 winner Bernstein, and G3 placed Unify.

But more impressively, in my opinion, she's the granddam of G1 winner Sky Mesa, G3 winner Wiseman's Ferry, G2-placed Monthir, stakes-placed Mogador, and stakes-placed Quite Rightly.

Her daughters are producing extremely well and her sons and grandsons are making an impact in the shed. Its still a little early to give her all the glory, but I think she will be one of the new inductees of bluehens.

Here's a link to her page from last year's sept. sale where her daughter sold. http://www.keeneland.com/sales/sep05/pdfs/261.pdf And this page is always growing.
La Affirmed is one of my faves! She seems to be a very good cross with Storm Cat. My fave son of hers though is none of the above listed... I like Alajwad who was a 5.5 million dollar purchase at the Keeneland September sale. He didn't do very much on the track, but he is quite the looker.
Old 08-10-2006, 01:27 PM
Keeneland

Another mare I like is Willamae, the dam of Will's Way by Easy Goer. She is also the dam of Citidancer by Dixieland Band.