Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Main Forum > The Paddock
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 07-04-2006, 11:38 AM
Jerome Park

IMO the problem, as it seems to be too often on the internet, is that people take legitimate posts personally. It's not surprising that some of us are concerned about this latest surgery. I hardly means any of us are rooting against Barbaro. I know I'm not. I have loved this horse since the Laurel Futurity and like many was crushed at the Preakness.

Nothing wrong with a lively discussion.....though I prefer not to be called a liar.
Old 07-04-2006, 12:13 PM
Atlantic City Race Course

If it's any help to some of the earlier posts, I, with no connections whatsoever to anyone connected with Barbaro, am pretty sure I read in at least one article that it was possible some screws would have to be replaced along the way because they might get bent. I can't back it up without a lot of google research, as I frantically read every article I could find on Barbaro in those first weeks and they all kind of run together now in my head, but when I read this recent article my initial reaction to the bent screws/new screws thing was "Oh yeah; they said they might have to do that."

And yes, any surgery carries with it the possibility of infection and infection can kill. So let's hope those antibiotics keep doing their job... get well soon, Barbaro, and did you see the note I wrote you on the get well card at Belmont? Oh right. You can't read. Never mind.
Old 07-04-2006, 01:06 PM
Del Mar

Quote:
Originally Posted by boldruler
SURE YOU DID. I am sure surgeons have plenty of time to talk to you about anything, let alone other doctor's patients. Enough with your lying. Nobody believes any DVM, let alone a surgeon, which there are a handul of, is sitting around with you on a holiday weekend talking about Barbaro. Why don't I just say I talked directly to Dr. Richardson? Hilarious. I admit my conversation was with a friend that spoke with the family, in fact, my friend spoke to his father that spoke to the family, but even if I am the 3rd person down the chain it is more believable than some guy who claims a surgeon was talking to him this morning about Barbaro.
That is completely ridiculous for you to accuse the guy of lying about talking to a surgeon. It is not at all unlikely that he talked to a surgeon. Many of us talk to our vets all the time. If I was at the track this morning, I could have asked my vet about what the meaning may be have been about them giving Barbaro some new screws. He'd answer the question.
Old 07-04-2006, 01:16 PM
Jerome Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rupert Pupkin
That is completely ridiculous for you to accuse the guy of lying about talking to a surgeon. It is not at all unlikely that he talked to a surgeon. Many of us talk to our vets all the time. If I was at the track this morning, I could have asked my vet about what the meaning may be have been about them giving Barbaro some new screws. He'd answer the question.
Here's a less believable story, but true nonetheless, and I'm sure you will appreciate it.

A few scenes from " The King of Comedy " were filmed in my cousin's apartment ( before he owned it ).

Excellent movie by the way.
Old 07-04-2006, 01:25 PM
Del Mar

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackthroatedwind
Here's a less believable story, but true nonetheless, and I'm sure you will appreciate it.

A few scenes from " The King of Comedy " were filmed in my cousin's apartment ( before he owned it ).

Excellent movie by the way.
I don't belive that. You're definitely lying. Just kidding. LOL.
Old 07-04-2006, 02:22 PM
Steve Byk

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArlJim78
This is looking like another ill-advised and mean-spirited thread to me. I'm expecting it to disappear quickly as we wouldn't want any newcomers to get the wrong idea.
That's pretty good A/J.. Golf clap..
Old 07-04-2006, 02:36 PM
Saratoga

One, I never saw Blackthroat say he talked to one of Barbaro's vets. If I wanted to, I can go to my next door neighbor now, who operates on ANIMALS of all kind on a daily basis, thoroughbreds included and he could tell me what the deal is. Anyone could if they wanted to....
Old 07-04-2006, 07:24 PM
Morris Park

http://drf.com/news/article/76109.html

This article doesn't seem short or uninformative to me. It doesn't sound overly optomistic. It sounds like what it is. Multiple cast changes were talked about all along. I know for sure I heard they would probably have to replace hardware and that the hardware outlasting the healing is a major complication of this type of surgery. Also, a human surgeon would not really have a grasp of what would be expected in hardware change as their patients have completely different weight distribution and vastly different load worries. And just how many injuries are THIS serious to draw comparisons to? Quite frankly, I'm amazed no one has thrown up big gushers over the abcess as being indicitive of DANGER, WILL ROBINSON. But honestly, if it is being treated topically, it isn't much of an abcess. Who is the champion stud that broke his hind leg in an accident? Did an article of "looking back" on bloodhorse a while back after Barbaro's surgery. I'll have to search that out. At any rate, hugely better possibilities here. But my point is, I guess, that in many ways there is no "standard" when it comes to this injury recovery. I don't see anyone saying he's free and clear. Don't know why this has become a contentious thread, but let's just say that I, at least, highly doubt there is a bunch of spinning going on. If anything, Richardson is always stressing they haven't come that far yet but that, yes, progress has been good as far as they have come. Take a chill pill everyone.
Old 07-04-2006, 07:33 PM
Hoisttheflag

The only real news we are ever really going to read about Barbaro is bad news until he is on a farm. The fact that the vet didn't have anything bad to report makes me believe he probably is just moving along slowly but nothing indicates he is getting worse. All I can tell is that he seems to be a pro at getting into and out of the pool after surgery. Good luck to him. The sport really needs him to pull through.
Old 07-04-2006, 10:11 PM
Dee Tee Stables

Quote:
Originally Posted by chupster2
http://drf.com/news/article/76109.html

This article doesn't seem short or uninformative to me. It doesn't sound overly optomistic. It sounds like what it is. Multiple cast changes were talked about all along. I know for sure I heard they would probably have to replace hardware and that the hardware outlasting the healing is a major complication of this type of surgery. Also, a human surgeon would not really have a grasp of what would be expected in hardware change as their patients have completely different weight distribution and vastly different load worries. And just how many injuries are THIS serious to draw comparisons to? Quite frankly, I'm amazed no one has thrown up big gushers over the abcess as being indicitive of DANGER, WILL ROBINSON. But honestly, if it is being treated topically, it isn't much of an abcess. Who is the champion stud that broke his hind leg in an accident? Did an article of "looking back" on bloodhorse a while back after Barbaro's surgery. I'll have to search that out. At any rate, hugely better possibilities here. But my point is, I guess, that in many ways there is no "standard" when it comes to this injury recovery. I don't see anyone saying he's free and clear. Don't know why this has become a contentious thread, but let's just say that I, at least, highly doubt there is a bunch of spinning going on. If anything, Richardson is always stressing they haven't come that far yet but that, yes, progress has been good as far as they have come. Take a chill pill everyone.
that would be nuryev, who broke his leg in his paddock. also, swaps suffered a career ending fracture, took him months to heal. then there's kelso's old man...
richardson has been up front from the get go about this injury. they really are treading new water here. all the comparisons to other injuries...but none have been this involved. and we all knew going in that it would take months to know for sure if barbaro would make it.

patience people. hope for the best. all things considered, the horse has done remarkably well considering.
Old 07-04-2006, 10:16 PM
Jerome Park

I was lucky enough to visit Nureyev in his private " barn " back in the mid 90s. They had a great photo display of him going through all the steps of his recovery. It was fascinating and actually touching.
Old 07-05-2006, 04:16 AM
Del Mar

There is actually a new article at drf.com that goes into much more detail about Barbaro's condition and answers many of the questions that people in this thread were asking. It is the article that Chupster has provided a link to.
Old 07-05-2006, 05:56 AM
Sheepshead Bay

Quote:
I was lucky enough to visit Nureyev in his private " barn " back in the mid 90s. They had a great photo display of him going through all the steps of his recovery. It was fascinating and actually touching.
I saw him about six years ago, his groom that took care of him post-surgery was still with him...
Old 07-05-2006, 08:48 AM
boldruler

Quote:
Personal interests aside, I highly doubt this is good news, and am skeptical that replacing the screws was always the plan. Screws don't get replaced and it feels like there should be a serious concern that the bone grafts didn't take. Probably the biggest concern is that opening him up again brings back the risk of infection so, in that case, he could be sadly bad to where he was weeks ago.

Hey, obviously we all hope he makes it, that goes without saying, but sorry if I find nothing wrong with attempting to inject a little reality into this situation. I will trust what a doctor told me over vague supposed connections to the owners and spin.
"veterinarians knew bent screws in that area would be fairly likely." see drf article
Old 07-05-2006, 08:58 AM
boldruler

Quote:
IMO the problem, as it seems to be too often on the internet, is that people take legitimate posts personally. It's not surprising that some of us are concerned about this latest surgery. I hardly means any of us are rooting against Barbaro. I know I'm not. I have loved this horse since the Laurel Futurity and like many was crushed at the Preakness.

Nothing wrong with a lively discussion.....though I prefer not to be called a liar.
I apologize for calling you a liar. I realize now that I should have pointed out what I meant by not really surgery. I doubt your dr. friend could have known this but here is actually what they did

"All this surgery was done under fluoroscopic control, using little, small incisions, so it wasn't like you were opening the leg back up or anything," Richardson said. "These were done through one-centimeter incisions, so tiny incisions."

There is a slight risk of infection, but not really.
Old 07-05-2006, 09:12 AM
boldruler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunbar
Where are you getting this info that they were "always going to do this." I would have expected them to say this from the outset, if it had been a routine part of recovery.

They have publicly mentioned plans to change the cast. I don't remember anyone saying "after 2 months we are going to open up the leg and put a couple more screws in".

And "technically surgery"? What's just "technical" about it? They not only replaced screws but they added 2-3 new ones. That sounds like full-blown surgery to me. And it suggests to me that something wasn't lining up the way they'd hoped.

It would have been an excellent time, however, for the spokesperson to say that the additional surgery was not unexpected.

I hope I'm wrong.

--Dunbar
If you don't believe where I got my information from that they were always going to do it, read the drf article i posted. As for "techinically" surgery, read the article too. It explains what I meant. "All this surgery was done under fluoroscopic control, using little, small incisions, so it wasn't like you were opening the leg back up or anything," Richardson said. "These were done through one-centimeter incisions, so tiny incisions." The media was just a day or two behind the information that the people connected to the horse and New Bolton already knew.

Last edited by boldruler : 07-05-2006 at 09:14 AM.
Old 07-05-2006, 10:19 AM
Atlantic City Race Course

And here's a bright thought-- no matter the outcome (but please, please, please, may it be good)-- the doctors are learning a lot from this whole experience, which means horses after Barbaro will benefit from the knowledge gained during these months. Yay for hands-on research!
Old 07-05-2006, 10:23 AM
boldruler

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenuineRisk
And here's a bright thought-- no matter the outcome (but please, please, please, may it be good)-- the doctors are learning a lot from this whole experience, which means horses after Barbaro will benefit from the knowledge gained during these months. Yay for hands-on research!
The money, public and private, they have gotten at New Bolton as a result of this entire process has been a huge boost. The issue I had was I posted a story about what happened, and a few people here decided to comment with completely inaccurate information. That information happened to be negative too, so people should think twice before posting completely inaccurate negative information.