Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Main Forum > The Paddock
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 07-03-2006, 06:04 PM
boldruler

Default Barbaro continues to Improve

It looks like he continues to get better.

http://news.bloodhorse.com/viewstory.asp?id=34258

Barbaro Gets New Bandages, Screws; Radiographs 'Look Great'
by Blood-Horse Staff
Date Posted: 7/3/2006 4:18:06 PM
Last Updated: 7/3/2006 4:18:06 PM

Edited New Bolton Center release
Doctors at New Bolton Center's George D. Widener Hospital on Monday changed the cast on the hind right leg of Barbaro for the second time since the winner of the Kentucky Derby Presented by Yum! Brands (gr. I) was injured in the Preakness Stakes (gr. I) on May 20.
"Barbaro is back in his stall and is doing well," said chief of surgery Dean W. Richardson, who replaced the cast he had put on Barbaro on June 13. "Also, we replaced two bent screws and added three new ones across the pastern joint. His radiographs look great, and he had another successful pool recovery."

Barbaro remains in intensive care at the hospital at the University of Pennsylvania School of Veterinary Medicine.
Old 07-03-2006, 06:31 PM
Santa Anita

I'm glad. Day by day.
Old 07-03-2006, 06:34 PM
Hialeah Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumitas
I'm glad. Day by day.
Ditto.
Thanks for the update.
Old 07-03-2006, 06:42 PM
Atlantic City Race Course

Me too! A long journey but hope lives on in this brave horse!
Old 07-03-2006, 09:20 PM
Saratoga

Thanks for the good news...
Old 07-03-2006, 11:54 PM
The Curragh

Quote:
Originally Posted by boldruler
It looks like he continues to get better.

http://news.bloodhorse.com/viewstory.asp?id=34258

Barbaro Gets New Bandages, Screws; Radiographs 'Look Great'
by Blood-Horse Staff
Date Posted: 7/3/2006 4:18:06 PM
Last Updated: 7/3/2006 4:18:06 PM

Edited New Bolton Center release
Doctors at New Bolton Center's George D. Widener Hospital on Monday changed the cast on the hind right leg of Barbaro for the second time since the winner of the Kentucky Derby Presented by Yum! Brands (gr. I) was injured in the Preakness Stakes (gr. I) on May 20.
"Barbaro is back in his stall and is doing well," said chief of surgery Dean W. Richardson, who replaced the cast he had put on Barbaro on June 13. "Also, we replaced two bent screws and added three new ones across the pastern joint. His radiographs look great, and he had another successful pool recovery."

Barbaro remains in intensive care at the hospital at the University of Pennsylvania School of Veterinary Medicine.
I did not read that report as positively as you did. I thought, "Uh oh, they had to go back in and do more surgery." I don't remember the possibility of additional surgery/screws ever being discussed as part of his recovery.

Also, the DRF story had this disturbing line:

"New Bolton veterinarians declined to comment further on Barbaro's second surgery and the latest cast change or whether there was cause for concern over the leg's long-term structural viability."

On the positive side, "His radiographs look great" is certainly good news.

I think Richardson was probably not being overly cautious when he gave Barbaro a 50-50 chance to make it. The additional surgery is a reminder that Barbaro is still in serious danger.

--Dunbar
Old 07-04-2006, 05:50 AM
top predator.

i'm just glad he continues to defy the odds.
Old 07-04-2006, 07:08 AM
Del Mar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunbar
I did not read that report as positively as you did. I thought, "Uh oh, they had to go back in and do more surgery." I don't remember the possibility of additional surgery/screws ever being discussed as part of his recovery.

"New Bolton veterinarians declined to comment further on Barbaro's second surgery and the latest cast change or whether there was cause for concern over the leg's long-term structural viability."

I think Richardson was probably not being overly cautious when he gave Barbaro a 50-50 chance to make it. The additional surgery is a reminder that Barbaro is still in serious danger.

--Dunbar
I agree with Dunbar. The fact that they had to do more surgery can't be a good sign. That news is a lot more concerning than it is reassuring.
Old 07-04-2006, 07:19 AM
boldruler

Quote:

--Dunbar
The Jacksons were told he continues to make excellent progress. The replacement of screws and the cast change have always been part of the process. The surgery was expected. The important thing is that his radiographs continue to look good. I'm no expert but I was told by someone close to the situation that he continues to just keep getting better. The reason they didn't comment to the drf on the leg's long-term structural viability is the same reason they haven't commented on it from the beginning, because they won't know for months. This was clearly good news, not bad.
Old 07-04-2006, 07:21 AM
boldruler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rupert Pupkin
I agree with Dunbar. The fact that they had to do more surgery can't be a good sign. That news is a lot more concerning than it is reassuring.
They were always going to do this. It was technically surgery, but it really was replacing screws, which they expected to do. His odds are better than 50-50 now, in fact I was told they are significantly better than 50-50.
Old 07-04-2006, 07:43 AM
The Curragh

Quote:
They were always going to do this. It was technically surgery, but it really was replacing screws, which they expected to do. His odds are better than 50-50 now, in fact I was told they are significantly better than 50-50.

...It was technically surgery, but it really was replacing screws, which they expected to do.
Where are you getting this info that they were "always going to do this." I would have expected them to say this from the outset, if it had been a routine part of recovery.

They have publicly mentioned plans to change the cast. I don't remember anyone saying "after 2 months we are going to open up the leg and put a couple more screws in".

And "technically surgery"? What's just "technical" about it? They not only replaced screws but they added 2-3 new ones. That sounds like full-blown surgery to me. And it suggests to me that something wasn't lining up the way they'd hoped.

Quote:
The reason they didn't comment to the drf on the leg's long-term structural viability is the same reason they haven't commented on it from the beginning, because they won't know for months.
It would have been an excellent time, however, for the spokesperson to say that the additional surgery was not unexpected.

I hope I'm wrong.

--Dunbar
Old 07-04-2006, 08:12 AM
boldruler

Quote:
Where are you getting this info that they were "always going to do this." I would have expected them to say this from the outset, if it had been a routine part of recovery.

They have publicly mentioned plans to change the cast. I don't remember anyone saying "after 2 months we are going to open up the leg and put a couple more screws in".

And "technically surgery"? What's just "technical" about it? They not only replaced screws but they added 2-3 new ones. That sounds like full-blown surgery to me. And it suggests to me that something wasn't lining up the way they'd hoped.

It would have been an excellent time, however, for the spokesperson to say that the additional surgery was not unexpected.

I hope I'm wrong.

--Dunbar
I am glad you have your DVM, suggesting that something wasn't lining up without even knowing the situation. They thought after the initial surgery that it was likely that some screws would need to be replaced because they sometimes get bent. Additional screws being inserted is common too for an injury like this. The most important thing is that the radiographs look "great", especially on his left hind foot, which is really the greatest risk to him, due to laminitis. That has really been the greatest concern since the original surgery. My friend said they aren't that concerned with the right hind leg with all the screws. That injury appears to be going better than anyone thought possible.
Old 07-04-2006, 08:21 AM
oracle80

Guys stop this ok. This is no topic to start a pissing match on. This horses survival is not only something we in the game who loved him are praying for, its also a very important thing for the industry. If he survives its a feel good story that the common person will love. If he does not, racing gets dealt another very bad PR blow. We can debate what actually is going on but it won't get us anywhere. In the end we will still all be in the same place praying for his recovery. How about we just leave it at that and fight about some other stuff. There is never a shortage of topics to squabble over on here and if need be I will start a thread where we can fight if only to stop this one from continuing on in this tone. Now how bad a thread has to be developing for ME to please ask people to stop? Geez, now thats bad. Enough please.
Old 07-04-2006, 08:22 AM
Oaklawn

Glad to hear the big guy continues to be doing well. Can't wait for the day he can walk out there!!
Old 07-04-2006, 08:46 AM
The Curragh

Quote:
Originally Posted by oracle80
Guys stop this ok. This is no topic to start a pissing match on. This horses survival is not only something we in the game who loved him are praying for, its also a very important thing for the industry. If he survives its a feel good story that the common person will love. If he does not, racing gets dealt another very bad PR blow. We can debate what actually is going on but it won't get us anywhere. In the end we will still all be in the same place praying for his recovery. How about we just leave it at that and fight about some other stuff. There is never a shortage of topics to squabble over on here and if need be I will start a thread where we can fight if only to stop this one from continuing on in this tone. Now how bad a thread has to be developing for ME to please ask people to stop? Geez, now thats bad. Enough please.
True. When oracle thinks a thread is going in the wrong direction, it must be REALLY bad.

Boldruler, if you are truly close to the situation, then I apologize.

I was afraid that we were all on the brink of another huge letdown, and I was trying to mentally prepare myself (and others) for it. But I was relying on superficial info and logic. Boldruler and others may have access to much better info.

oracle is correct that there is not much point in further dissecting the info. We're all pulling for the horse.

--Dunbar
Old 07-04-2006, 08:48 AM
boldruler

Quote:
Originally Posted by oracle80
You saying "enough please" is probably the funniest thing I have ever read. The fact is the Barbaro continues to progress and his latest procedure and radiographs are evidence of that.
Old 07-04-2006, 08:50 AM
oracle80

Quote:
You saying "enough please" is probably the funniest thing I have ever read. The fact is the Barbaro continues to progress and his latest procedure and radiographs are evidence of that.
Bold yeah it is but the bottom line is that we are all rooting for him and all we can do is hope and pray.
Old 07-04-2006, 08:54 AM
boldruler

Quote:
True. When oracle thinks a thread is going in the wrong direction, it must be REALLY bad.

Boldruler, if you are truly close to the situation, then I apologize.

I was afraid that we were all on the brink of another huge letdown, and I was trying to mentally prepare myself (and others) for it. But I was relying on superficial info and logic. Boldruler and others may have access to much better info.

oracle is correct that there is not much point in further dissecting the info. We're all pulling for the horse.

--Dunbar
No big deal. I do have a friend in direct contact with the situation. I just thought you guys were being jerks and were some of those Barbaro bashers. I read the posts again and I see what you were saying. I apologize. The horse is doing great though and it is looking more like he is going to make it. They were ectastic at the radiographs. The Vet is a very optimistic guy, but cautious, and he is suprised at how well the horse is doing, particularly how well the horse has behaved. The horse was pretty high strung on the track but he has been a model patient at New Bolton.
Old 07-04-2006, 09:01 AM
The Curragh

Quote:
No big deal. I do have a friend in direct contact with the situation. I just thought you guys were being jerks and were some of those Barbaro bashers. I read the posts again and I see what you were saying. I apologize. The horse is doing great though and it is looking more like he is going to make it. They were ectastic at the radiographs. The Vet is a very optimistic guy, but cautious, and he is suprised at how well the horse is doing, particularly how well the horse has behaved. The horse was pretty high strung on the track but he has been a model patient at New Bolton.
Well, then, that's excellent news. Keep us posted.

--Dunbar
Old 07-04-2006, 09:51 AM
Jerome Park

Personal interests aside, I highly doubt this is good news, and am skeptical that replacing the screws was always the plan. Screws don't get replaced and it feels like there should be a serious concern that the bone grafts didn't take. Probably the biggest concern is that opening him up again brings back the risk of infection so, in that case, he could be sadly bad to where he was weeks ago.

Hey, obviously we all hope he makes it, that goes without saying, but sorry if I find nothing wrong with attempting to inject a little reality into this situation. I will trust what a doctor told me over vague supposed connections to the owners and spin.