Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Main Forum > The Paddock
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 05-26-2006, 08:12 PM
oracle80

Default belmont 8th today/just an awful ride by you guessed it!!!

ANybody happen to see the Belmont 8th today?
Twilight zonish ride by Gomez on the favored 1 horse. Going silky smooth approaching the turn and appears to have a lotta run. Gomez seemed almost puzzled on what to do and is our moved and blocked in by Jean Luc Samyn who is older than the dinosaurs in Jurassic park and has teh reflexes of a coma patient.
Johnny V may return by Belmont day and it will be a beautiful day in the neighborhood when that occurs. Gomez has won very few races in NY since deputizing for Johnny and most of his wins so far have been unremarkable rides on Pletcher horses who were tons best.
His ride on Almansoon the other day still has people I know vomiting.
Be interesting to see if Gomez sticks around once he is promptly evicted from his mounts. My guess is that he goes home to Cali and splits with his agent.
Old 05-26-2006, 09:13 PM
Saratoga

lol....I LOVE IT
Old 05-26-2006, 10:42 PM
Newmarket

Quote:
Originally Posted by oracle80
Twilight zonish ride by Gomez on the favored 1 horse. Going silky smooth approaching the turn and appears to have a lotta run. Gomez seemed almost puzzled on what to do and is our moved and blocked in by Jean Luc Samyn who is older than the dinosaurs in Jurassic park and has teh reflexes of a coma patient.
Johnny V may return by Belmont day and it will be a beautiful day in the neighborhood when that occurs. Gomez has won very few races in NY since deputizing for Johnny and most of his wins so far have been unremarkable rides on Pletcher horses who were tons best.
Be interesting to see if Gomez sticks around once he is promptly evicted from his mounts. My guess is that he goes home to Cali and splits with his agent.

I saw the race, but didn't see it at all like you did. Gomez had clear run for the length of the stretch, the horse simply had nothing.
Old 05-26-2006, 11:06 PM
"The Kentucky Killing Machine"

Quote:
sorry o that horse the other day in the six was not of the same talent..the sheets showed it wasnt ride it was horse..dont know about the ride today though
Old 05-27-2006, 09:12 AM
oracle80

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoovesupsideyourhead
sorry o that horse the other day in the six was not of the same talent..the sheets showed it wasnt ride it was horse..dont know about the ride today though
Hooves witha ll due respect I've been reading sheets for 20 years and there is more to it than that. Dide the sheets show that the eventual winner had hung horrificallly 4 times in a row as the heavy chalk getting perfect trips in all thsoe races?
As well, 2nd time starters show the biggest improvement on teh sheets, which Pletcher was supposed to do.
Did the sheets show you that she was only sprint prepped in her debut with an eye on stretching? Did the sheets show you that her last two works were up here a 1/2 mile form my house and thatthe clockers up here were tapping out on her and that the barn told everyone she couldnt lose?
Give me a break, ok? The guy wrangled teh horse back and didnt cut her loose until the race was over. The winner looked great on teh sheets the last three times she ran, and hung with no excuse in any of em.
Old 05-27-2006, 09:47 AM
Newmarket

Quote:
Hooves witha ll due respect I've been reading sheets for 20 years and there is more to it than that. Dide the sheets show that the eventual winner had hung horrificallly 4 times in a row as the heavy chalk getting perfect trips in all thsoe races?
As well, 2nd time starters show the biggest improvement on teh sheets, which Pletcher was supposed to do.
Did the sheets show you that she was only sprint prepped in her debut with an eye on stretching? Did the sheets show you that her last two works were up here a 1/2 mile form my house and thatthe clockers up here were tapping out on her and that the barn told everyone she couldnt lose?
Give me a break, ok? The guy wrangled teh horse back and didnt cut her loose until the race was over. The winner looked great on teh sheets the last three times she ran, and hung with no excuse in any of em.
Sorry again but the Almansoon loss the other day had nothing to do with the ride. That horse was given every chance and was soundly beaten.
Old 05-27-2006, 10:20 AM
oracle80

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArlJim78
Sorry again but the Almansoon loss the other day had nothing to do with the ride. That horse was given every chance and was soundly beaten.

Yeah horses who are overlyrestrained by riders when they have run down the backside will do that to you. especially fillies. I guess thats why one of us watches races and buys horses for leading trainers and owners.
Old 05-27-2006, 10:40 AM
Newmarket

Quote:
Yeah horses who are overlyrestrained by riders when they have run down the backside will do that to you. especially fillies. I guess thats why one of us watches races and buys horses for leading trainers and owners.
So, because you watch races and buy horses for leading trainers and owners means you also know how to ride better than the leading rider in the nation?

You are not the only person who watches races and buys horses for leading trainers and owners and I'm sure that if we surveyed all of them we would find many that agree with my assessment that Gomez did not lose the race for Almansoon.
Old 05-27-2006, 10:47 AM
oracle80

Quote:
So, because you watch races and buy horses for leading trainers and owners means you also know how to ride better than the leading rider in the nation?

You are not the only person who watches races and buys horses for leading trainers and owners and I'm sure that if we surveyed all of them we would find many that agree with my assessment that Gomez did not lose the race for Almansoon.

Well thast just great Jim. How about telling us all about YOUR credentials.
Old 05-27-2006, 02:28 PM
Newmarket

Quote:
Well thast just great Jim. How about telling us all about YOUR credentials.
Mike, don't you think it's a little lame to be challenging someones credentials on an internet forum? This is the land of make believe. It's not necessary for you to unfurl the banner of your accomplishments each and every day. My opinion of your racing knowledge would be no different if you were Joe Schmo from Kokomo and had never set foot inside a racetrack.

Also, finding the person with the the greatest credentials does not necessarily lead you to the truth. I'm sure that you know of people in the racing industry whose opinions you wouldn't just blindly accept.

We are discussing the outcome of a race that has already been run and I saw it with my own eyes and came to a different conclusion than you. I don't care if Todd Pletcher himself came on here and said "Gomez cost us the victory on Almansoon a few days ago at Belmont", I would still stick with my opinion about what I saw.

But if you want to debate credentials then you have to put yours up against Todd Pletcher's. He is after all the guy who has entrusted Gomez to ride for him. You call the guy a junkie, Pletcher has given him mounts for the most successful stables in the country. Every rider has faults, including Gomez, but the record shows that this has been a successful relationship and the Pletcher machine rolled on strongly even with Gomez in the irons.
Old 05-27-2006, 03:07 PM
oracle80

Quote:
Mike, don't you think it's a little lame to be challenging someones credentials on an internet forum? This is the land of make believe. It's not necessary for you to unfurl the banner of your accomplishments each and every day. My opinion of your racing knowledge would be no different if you were Joe Schmo from Kokomo and had never set foot inside a racetrack.

Also, finding the person with the the greatest credentials does not necessarily lead you to the truth. I'm sure that you know of people in the racing industry whose opinions you wouldn't just blindly accept.

We are discussing the outcome of a race that has already been run and I saw it with my own eyes and came to a different conclusion than you. I don't care if Todd Pletcher himself came on here and said "Gomez cost us the victory on Almansoon a few days ago at Belmont", I would still stick with my opinion about what I saw.

But if you want to debate credentials then you have to put yours up against Todd Pletcher's. He is after all the guy who has entrusted Gomez to ride for him. You call the guy a junkie, Pletcher has given him mounts for the most successful stables in the country. Every rider has faults, including Gomez, but the record shows that this has been a successful relationship and the Pletcher machine rolled on strongly even with Gomez in the irons.

I agree to some extent. BUt if you truly trust in Pletcher's opinion, how much would you be willing to wagre against me that when Johnny returns(hopefully real soon) that Gomez is promptly evicted from those mounts? I mean if he were as good as you claim he is, would Pletcher not continue to ride him first call?
Old 05-27-2006, 03:10 PM
oracle80

Default Gomez bagels yesterday and so far today

His physical skill is amazing, his agility and strength are frightening. But the guy is as dumb as nails and thats why he is so inconsistent.
Bagels yesterday and bageling so far again today despite riding very live horses. Johnny is consistent, Gomez is not.
Old 05-27-2006, 03:16 PM
oracle80

Default he blew it on Western revenge

And Arljim, I know one owner and trainer who aren't real pleased with him today. His premature move on Western Revenge into the strong headwind in the 5th was what I am talking about. Be willing to wager heavily that he is a highly emotional guy whose moves are morfe often the result of emotions than they are calculated like Bailey's were and Johnny's are. Thos eguys study pp's until they are blue in the face and know whwre they would like to be(in theory, you cant control all teh variables in a horse race going 35 mph) and what the competition does as well.
Strong headwind on the backside early in the card was producing crawling fractions early(teh wind) and fly home times in the lane with the strong tailwind at their backs*were you aware of this Arljim? Some guys watch races, and other guys WATCH RACES". Gomez is sitting perfectly on the hedge drafting in behind the strong wind. Decides it might be nice to rush up the rail(horse likes to rate) and use up a lotta energy and now run into the wind. Tires for third. Nice ride garret, nice ******* ride you little mental midget.
Old 05-27-2006, 03:25 PM
Newmarket

Quote:
I agree to some extent. BUt if you truly trust in Pletcher's opinion, how much would you be willing to wagre against me that when Johnny returns(hopefully real soon) that Gomez is promptly evicted from those mounts? I mean if he were as good as you claim he is, would Pletcher not continue to ride him first call?
I wouldn't wager on it, but my guess would be that as soon as Johnny V is healthly he regains all the mounts. There will most likely be a transition period of some type, not an abrupt push of Gomez out of town.

JV is the better, more consisent rider in my opinion and I believe that there is a bond of loyalty between he and Pletcher. I just feel that the gap in ability between the two riders isn't as large as you were claiming.
Old 05-27-2006, 04:38 PM
"The Kentucky Killing Machine"

Quote:
mike we all know what you do..i respect your opinion..but i tried to talk you off him as a single....from my capping he was 2nd best..and it played out that way...but ..if you have gomez on him and you hate the guy..why single him..
Old 05-27-2006, 04:56 PM
Newmarket

Quote:
And Arljim, I know one owner and trainer who aren't real pleased with him today. His premature move on Western Revenge into the strong headwind in the 5th was what I am talking about. Be willing to wager heavily that he is a highly emotional guy whose moves are morfe often the result of emotions than they are calculated like Bailey's were and Johnny's are. Thos eguys study pp's until they are blue in the face and know whwre they would like to be(in theory, you cant control all teh variables in a horse race going 35 mph) and what the competition does as well.
Strong headwind on the backside early in the card was producing crawling fractions early(teh wind) and fly home times in the lane with the strong tailwind at their backs*were you aware of this Arljim? Some guys watch races, and other guys WATCH RACES". Gomez is sitting perfectly on the hedge drafting in behind the strong wind. Decides it might be nice to rush up the rail(horse likes to rate) and use up a lotta energy and now run into the wind. Tires for third. Nice ride garret, nice ******* ride you little mental midget.
I WATCHED that race and the moment I saw the quick move on the backstretch I thought it might have been a big mistake. If you want my opinion that move cost Western Revenge the race. I call them like I see them. Still not a horrible day, he won the feature, a couple of seconds and a third.
Old 05-27-2006, 05:47 PM
oracle80

Quote:
I WATCHED that race and the moment I saw the quick move on the backstretch I thought it might have been a big mistake. If you want my opinion that move cost Western Revenge the race. I call them like I see them. Still not a horrible day, he won the feature, a couple of seconds and a third.
Arl Jim, that move was as stupid as anything I have ever seen. I'm not sure if it cost him the race but I'm 50-50 that it did. Johnny doesn't make moves like that, ever. This guy is probably a real emotional ADHD type of guy and if you could ever get him to do his homework with the DRF and chill out, he could be the greatest. But I'm not real optimistic about the prospects.
Old 05-27-2006, 07:35 PM
oracle80

Default Gomez salvages one even money winner in two days at Belmont

gee, what hero huh? And this is the greatest thing since sliced bread? You have to be kidding me.
Old 05-31-2006, 10:48 AM
Oaklawn

I just looked at the entries for Friday at Belmont... Western Revenge is entered in the first race... with GARRET GOMEZ on board again!!! Oracle, I'm SURE you have an opinion on this!!

Quote:
Old 05-31-2006, 12:09 PM
oracle80

Quote:
Originally Posted by zippyneedsawin
I just looked at the entries for Friday at Belmont... Western Revenge is entered in the first race... with GARRET GOMEZ on board again!!! Oracle, I'm SURE you have an opinion on this!!
Yeah, hes on because of me. Read the story on another thread.
Condensed version was taht he stopped by the barn on Sunday to apologize for what he did. Carlos was aware of the unhappiness with the ride and was gonna name someone else. I was stunned that he had actually apologized and said well that was classy, if he apologized then go ahead and name him back. Usually if a rider apologizes for a ride it means hes aware that he owes you one. Probably not that he was losing any sleep over losing a mount on a 35 claimer, but Carlos is red hot and has been sending out some nice horses, smart jocks(especially those who have relocated) like to keep all avenues open. Seer I have a soft side, its EXTREMELY small, but its there.