Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Main Forum > The Paddock
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 06-01-2006, 01:10 PM
oracle80

Default Hoistthe flag

Check your pm's and give me a shout back.
Old 06-01-2006, 01:26 PM
Hoisttheflag

I just sent you something back. I am going up to Saratoga in a few weeks when the Giants open camp in Albany. We have friends at a radio station called WFAN that do their show up there one day and we do some golfing. One of the guys who does the show owns quite a few horses.
Old 06-01-2006, 01:29 PM
oracle80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoisttheflag
I just sent you something back. I am going up to Saratoga in a few weeks when the Giants open camp in Albany. We have friends at a radio station called WFAN that do their show up there one day and we do some golfing. One of the guys who does the show owns quite a few horses.
I've spoken to Francesca. he used to get his DRF up here at the same newstand as I did and we were both very often waiting at the door at 5 minutes to 7 for the place to open up. I know he loves the game and is here a lot during the meet. You oughta see the house here that his buddy parcells built. Holy **** is it nice. I like listening to him and Russo, great stuff.
Old 06-01-2006, 01:32 PM
Hollywood Park

Default Hoist - Horses

Hoist:

Care to share some of the horses that your wife owns or has owned in the past with Zito.... Any promising 2YOs that she currently owns...

Just a little curious...

PSH
Old 06-01-2006, 01:34 PM
oracle80

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSH
Hoist:

Care to share some of the horses that your wife owns or has owned in the past with Zito.... Any promising 2YOs that she currently owns...

Just a little curious...

PSH
I'd like to watch em breeze up here. I'm sure if they are two year olds that they are about 3/4's of a mile from my doorstep. Oklahoma is the place for two year olds. That great deep track keeps em sound and gets em fit amd muscled.
Old 06-01-2006, 01:37 PM
Hollywood Park

Default Oklahoma Track

If there was one place i could be it would be the Oklahoma track each morning in the month of August. Oracle i am slightly jealous and unfortunately 3,000 miles away. Will get there a for a few days though...
Old 06-01-2006, 01:41 PM
Hoisttheflag

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSH
Hoist:

Just a little curious...

PSH

She owned them as yearlings but I will get you the names. I will have her send you private messages because the people in this business are sort of private because loose lips can sink ships. She likes to talk horses though and if Oracle knows Nicks brother I am sure she will check out Oracle with them and maybe do some business.
Old 06-01-2006, 01:43 PM
oracle80

Quote:
She owned them as yearlings but I will get you the names. I will have her send you private messages because the people in this business are sort of private because loose lips can sink ships. She likes to talk horses though and if Oracle knows Nicks brother I am sure she will check out Oracle with them and maybe do some business.
I don't like to get involved with Nick's business. Hes a friend, and the last time I sent him an owner it lead to some hard feelings between us when they split up.
Old 06-01-2006, 01:44 PM
oracle80

Quote:
If shes talking to Tommy about horses, she better LOVE horses, Tommy will talk horses with anyone until he is blue in the face. I love the guy.
Old 06-01-2006, 01:48 PM
Hoisttheflag

Quote:
Originally Posted by oracle80
I've spoken to Francesca. he used to get his DRF up here at the same newstand as I did and we were both very often waiting at the door at 5 minutes to 7 for the place to open up. I know he loves the game and is here a lot during the meet. You oughta see the house here that his buddy parcells built. Holy **** is it nice. I like listening to him and Russo, great stuff.
I know Chris (he started in Jacksonville) and his family really well and Mike is nice enough to show us around, although he can be a little arrogant. He introduced us to Shug McGaughy (although I don't think he has any of Francessa's horses) and he knows Nick through George Steinbrenner. I have met George's son and daughter but never him. Parcells and Belichik are both big horse guys, but I can't say I ever met them.
Old 06-01-2006, 01:50 PM
Hoisttheflag

Quote:
I don't like to get involved with Nick's business. Hes a friend, and the last time I sent him an owner it lead to some hard feelings between us when they split up.
Just talk Leroy Jolley with Nick. Funny stories there.
Old 06-01-2006, 01:53 PM
oracle80

Quote:
Just talk Leroy Jolley with Nick. Funny stories there.
LOL!!!
Even funnier are the stories about when he was young and crazy. Make you laugh for days.
Old 06-01-2006, 01:58 PM
Hoisttheflag

Quote:
LOL!!!
Even funnier are the stories about when he was young and crazy. Make you laugh for days.
You probably know him a lot better than me. My wife told me he said he likes Keeneland better than Saratoga. Quite a shock to me considering he is a NY guy.
Old 06-01-2006, 02:06 PM
oracle80

Quote:
You probably know him a lot better than me. My wife told me he said he likes Keeneland better than Saratoga. Quite a shock to me considering he is a NY guy.
I don't know about that. He lives here full time. Spends 6 months here and he loves it. Can be seen all over town at different places and really loves it here.
Hes top notch, and can give anybody who listens one hell of an education about all facets of the business. You should spend some time with him, you would be fascinated. I never cease to be amazed that he always tells you something to appreciate and learn. Funny as hell once he lets his guard down also, make you laugh til tears are coming out of your eyes.
Ask him about the time one of his owners needed a tie to wear to the place they were going for dinner after the track and wasnt wearing one. Asked me if he could buy mine for 100 bucks. LOL!!! I gave him the tie, he gave me the hundred and we bet it on the last race and nailed everything. It was hysterical.
Old 06-01-2006, 02:10 PM
oracle80

ACtually Hoist a better story might be the time on Travers day one year when this drunken guy came up to him and asked him if (I forget the name of the horse but it was Lukas) was gonna win the Travers that day. Guys in a t shirt, beer in both hands. Nick realizes the guy thinks hes D Wayne Lukas. So Nick says, yeah, hes gonna win. Big smile on his face. The guy went running away screaming to his buddies "Wayne Lukas just told me hes gonna win the Travers!!!!!!!!!!!" at the top of his lungs. I started laughing so hard that I dropped to my knees on the ground. Funniest thing I ever saw and Nick just looked at me with a big grin on his face. Ask him, he will remember this.
Old 06-01-2006, 02:15 PM
Keeneland

Quote:
ACtually Hoist a better story might be the time on Travers day one year when this drunken guy came up to him and asked him if (I forget the name of the horse but it was Lukas) was gonna win the Travers that day. Guys in a t shirt, beer in both hands. Nick realizes the guy thinks hes D Wayne Lukas. So Nick says, yeah, hes gonna win. Big smile on his face. The guy went running away screaming to his buddies "Wayne Lukas just told me hes gonna win the Travers!!!!!!!!!!!" at the top of his lungs. I started laughing so hard that I dropped to my knees on the ground. Funniest thing I ever saw and Nick just looked at me with a big grin on his face. Ask him, he will remember this.
Now THAT is hilarious... the guy was so drunk he didn't know he was talking to Zito? Was his name Curt?

*Kidding...*
Old 06-01-2006, 02:26 PM
oracle80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cajungator26
Now THAT is hilarious... the guy was so drunk he didn't know he was talking to Zito? Was his name Curt?

*Kidding...*
Cajun I think the horse was Grand Slam but I know it was the year that Coronado's Quest won it in a thrilling 3 way photo with raffies majesty and Victory Gallop.
Guy had on like a dirty t shirt, hammered and it was only about 2 o clock. Slurring his speech and asked Nick if the horse was gonna win. You woulda cried.