Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Main Forum > The Paddock
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 06-01-2006, 07:38 AM
deltaforce97

Default Belmont Undercard taking shape

New York Racing Association Stakes Coordinator Andrew Byrnes released probables for the undercard on Belmont Stakes Day, Saturday, June 10, although he stressed the field sizes are likely to swell as race day approaches.

Pointing to the Grade 1, $400,000 Manhattan Handicap at 10 furlongs on the turf are Cacique, English Channel, Good Reward, Grey Swallow and Relaxed Gesture.

Court Folly, Disco’s Son, Keyed Entry, Noonmark, Songster and Too Much Bling are likely for the Grade 2, $250,000 Woody Stephens Breeders’ Cup at seven furlongs, formerly known as the Riva Ridge.

The Grade 1, $250,000 Acorn for three-year-old fillies at one mile will now be run on Belmont Day as Adieu, Hello Liberty, Miraculous Miss and She’s Excellent point to the race. Joint Effort, Regal Engagement and Teammate are possible.

So far, Gaff, Spanish Chestnut and Vicarage are considered definite for the Grade 2, $200,000 True North at six furlongs. Celtic Innis, Tiger and Uncle Camie are questionable.

The Grade 2, $300,000 Just a Game Handicap for fillies and mares at one mile on the turf is likely to have Bright Abundance, Karen’s Caper, Mirabilis and Silver Cup. Ozone Bere is possible, too.

Three-year-old fillies will be in the spotlight on Belmont Stakes Day too, with the Grade 3, $100,000-added Sands Point Handicap at nine furlongs on the turf. Kin to the Wind, Meribel, Miracle Moment, Miss Shop, Perilous Pursuit and Wait a While are likely. Nice Nelly and Nottawasaga are questionable.

On Friday June 9th, three-year-old turf horses are the featured attraction in the Grade 3, $100,000-added Hill Prince at one mile. Black Snake, Giant Basil, Mr. Silver, Spider Power and To Sender are likely. Readily, Showing Up and Tahoe Warrior are could run as well.

Belmont Stakes week wraps up on Sunday June 11th, with the Grade 2, $150,000 Vagrancy for fillies and mares at 6 ˝ furlongs. Dubai Escapade, Grecian Lover, Magnolia Jackson and Smokey Glacken are expected.

Article on NYRA

Another great turf race in the Manhattan.....also Songster, Too Much Bling, and Keyed Entry squaring off in the Riva Ridge/Woody Stephens.....this is getting exciting!!!!
Old 06-01-2006, 08:32 AM
Sheepshead Bay

Riva/ Stevens looks great. With out knowing the entire makeup of the race im wondering with Songesters last will this one be a regression. Visualy to me that last win was a monster and with all the hype for Bling and KE, Songster sure looked strong in Last.
Old 06-01-2006, 08:52 AM
Morris Park

Looks okay. Nothing special. Short priced horses will probably dominate but the undercard will be the highlight of the day, not the actual Belmont race. Maybe we'll get lucky with some nice turf allowance races too.

Me personally? I could care less about seeing English Channel and Cacique go at it at 8/5 odds. Maybe this time Prado will ride his own horse (Good Reward) instead of being so fixated on causing the best horse Cacique to lose.
Old 06-01-2006, 10:41 AM
Keeneland

I will be pulling for Grey Swallow.
Old 06-01-2006, 10:52 AM
Oaklawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip away
Looks okay. Nothing special. Short priced horses will probably dominate but the undercard will be the highlight of the day, not the actual Belmont race. Maybe we'll get lucky with some nice turf allowance races too.

Me personally? I could care less about seeing English Channel and Cacique go at it at 8/5 odds. Maybe this time Prado will ride his own horse (Good Reward) instead of being so fixated on causing the best horse Cacique to lose.

Both 8/5.. no way. not in this field. I think English channel will get overbet, yes. But Cacique could get away at decent odds this time with the addition of Grey Swallow and Relaxed Gesture.
Old 06-01-2006, 10:58 AM
Idlewild Airport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dixie Porter
Cacique /Mirabilis sitting on good ones.

Maybe the Bridesmaid catches the boquet.
You're late to the party on Mirabilis. That race at CD was the time to get the nice price. You won't see that again.