Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Main Forum > The Paddock
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-17-2020, 03:40 PM
Hollywood Park

Default i have a stallion question

we will use war chant for my question
war chant i would say is 24 or 25 years old,,,1st off is he still making race babies? what is the cut off if there is one?
and most stallions start there daddy job at 4 or 5 id presume
is htere a study of anykind that show what year a stallion is best at producing graded offspring? thsnk you all
Old 06-17-2020, 03:59 PM
Saratoga

OTO, Im at work right now so I cant walk through the sites with you but Bloodhorse.com and Equibase are excellent for pulling up this kind of data
Old 06-17-2020, 04:05 PM
Hollywood Park

Default thank u casp

thank u ill try and decipher
Old 06-18-2020, 09:51 PM
Santa Anita

Quote:
Originally Posted by ontheoutside View Post
we will use war chant for my question
war chant i would say is 24 or 25 years old,,,1st off is he still making race babies? what is the cut off if there is one?
and most stallions start there daddy job at 4 or 5 id presume
is htere a study of anykind that show what year a stallion is best at producing graded offspring? thsnk you all
It depends on the stallion. Some get old physically sooner than others, some are fine healthwise but lose fertility (AP Indy was pensioned at 22 but died this year at 31), some keep on truckin' a long time while also being able to breed. (Mr. Prospector died in 1999 at age 29. He'd bred a crop that year that was foaled in 2000. Dynaformer died at 27 and his last crop was born that year.)

War Chant is currently makin' race babies in Australia at Yarradale Stud. I'd say you're accurate on the start time for breeding many of the commercially popular stallions as that would mean they'd be racing at 3 and 4 then retiring. As far as the year they're best at producing graded offspring, I'm sure studies have been done, but it's got some conflicting things as far as whether it's the stallion bringing their A game at a particular time vs the timing of getting good mares which depends on different factors.
Old 06-23-2020, 03:36 PM
Churchill Downs

Looks Like War Chant is 23yo and had 3yos running, didnt see any 2yos yet. By looking at his progeny it looks like his best producing years were quite awhile ago and I would venture to say that this is the case for most sires. This is for quite a few reasons, one of which is that the top mares start to go to the hot younger sires to some degree
Old 07-01-2020, 10:23 PM
Washington Park

Agree with Merlinsky. After visiting many stud farms in KY I was surprised at what they do with these stallions. Most of them a ridden daily. They are kept healthy, fit and happy. They have the same people care for them everyday. They are turned out to graze in nice paddocks. Expertly groomed, fed well and well taken care of.

As with humans, they can be vulnerable to many factors.