Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Main Forum > International Racing
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 02-26-2015, 08:30 AM
Saratoga

Ouch! Poor girl.

http://www.thoroughbrednews.com.au/a....aspx?id=78870

Enjoyed your Bonecrusher piece immensely.

Good Lord it is impossible to find a pic of Giant Turtle! Ah well, maybe after the Derby it'll be easier...
Old 02-26-2015, 04:37 PM
Santa Anita

Oh, poor Silent Achiever. Hope she'll be okay.

Good question about the draw affecting the list! But I don't think I'll make any changes based on that - it's quite a long run to the first turn and most horses are able to find a good spot by then.
Old 02-27-2015, 08:57 AM
Saratoga

Happy Derby Day!

Will post my plays when I have finalized them but for now am thinking might just put Mongolian Khan in the top spot and use Giant Turtle, Sound Proposition, VSB of course and the fillies underneath but oh plenty of time left to ponder.

Anyway thank YOU for making it so much fun and for all your great insight and everything.

Yay... it's here!!!

edit - Man I just watched a couple of Vavasour's replays...kinda back to square 1 now.

Last edited by my miss storm cat : 02-27-2015 at 09:28 AM.
Old 02-27-2015, 03:49 PM
Saratoga

Who wins, ed?
Old 02-27-2015, 04:11 PM
Santa Anita

Quote:
Originally Posted by my miss storm cat View Post
Will post my plays when I have finalized them but for now am thinking might just put Mongolian Khan in the top spot and use Giant Turtle, Sound Proposition, VSB of course and the fillies underneath but oh plenty of time left to ponder.
That sounds like a good call! But, yeah, Vavasour is the mystery horse here. She hasn't faced the boys in a stakes race yet and it's hard to know how the fillies compare to the colts and geldings. One way to find out!

So excited that Derby day has finally arrived. I'm here at the track now, and it's looking absolutely beautiful.

I'm sticking with VSB, I believe he's the best horse in the race. But if one of the others turn out to be even better than him today, I'll be happy to see that too.
Old 02-27-2015, 05:04 PM
Saratoga

Quote:
Originally Posted by _ed_ View Post
I'm sticking with VSB, I believe he's the best horse in the race. But if one of the others turn out to be even better than him today, I'll be happy to see that too.
Same here.

You were so dead on when you pointed out that that was one of his best races (that last one when he finished 2nd)... VSB might very well be the better of the two. With so little separating two horses this good I think it's more I had to reach for.... something... and the something is, I guess, that Mongolian Khan has luck cause things just seem to go his way.

I boxed MK, VSB, Sound Proposition, Giant Turtle, Vavasour and Chenille and did a w/s on Giant Turtle just because. I will have to look again later on this evening and figure out what else to do...

Have a FANTASTIC time!!! Do a great job covering it and hope you nail it!

(... and come home safe, everyone).

HAPPY DERBY!
Old 02-27-2015, 06:36 PM
Santa Anita

Somethingvain won the first - purchased for $1,100 and won a $40,000 race. That's a nice result!

Killarney Kid nice in race two, but I thought Lucky Feather was a bit unlucky.
Old 02-27-2015, 08:03 PM
Santa Anita

Benzini was so good today.

And, wow, Redeem Code!
Old 02-27-2015, 10:33 PM
Santa Anita

I think that was Durham Town's best ever performance.

Now it's Derby time!
Old 02-27-2015, 11:11 PM
Santa Anita

That was one of the greatest races I've ever seen.
Old 02-27-2015, 11:51 PM
Saratoga

Quote:
That was one of the greatest races I've ever seen.
I am still just completely speechless and numb and haven't caught my breath!!!!!!!!
Old 02-28-2015, 12:45 AM
Santa Anita

VSB didn't deserve to lose - if Mongolian Khan wasn't there, he's just won the Derby by five and a half lengths!

But Mongolian Khan was even better. Unbelievable performance from him and a truly unforgettable race.
Old 02-28-2015, 09:52 AM
Saratoga

Quote:
VSB didn't deserve to lose - if Mongolian Khan wasn't there, he's just won the Derby by five and a half lengths!

But Mongolian Khan was even better. Unbelievable performance from him and a truly unforgettable race.
It is just insane... I just watched it again and whoa... those two! Such fantastic horses and what else separated them but luck?

Man poor VSB... he is really such a sensational horse.

Hooray for Sound Proposition, cause that was no small task, and to Dee I Cee who I never thought had any chance of being anywhere at all (... but I know you did!).

Regarding the Darley Plate...
Quote:
Originally Posted by my miss storm cat View Post
Have to say this one time.... aaaah what a wonderful world it would be if Durham Town and Survived both won on Saturday!
... and there is no video up of Durham Towns win?! Nooo! Hopefully they will fix it.

It muyst have been absolutely amazing being there...

Have not yet checked the Informant as I just woke up but cannot wait to read your stuff and watch all the other replays.

Great great Derby! Feels like we got two winners out of it.
Old 02-28-2015, 10:04 AM
Saratoga

Good Lord that was a beautiful run from Savaria (considering I thought Platinum Witness could have won that blindfolded and running backwards)!
Old 02-28-2015, 07:14 PM
Saratoga

Quote:
I think that was Durham Town's best ever performance.
... and still, no replay!

I know it will be there eventually and I cannot wait but it's frustrating!

I did manage to watch the Derby again... where does this one rate for you? How does it compare with say the past 10 years?
Old 03-01-2015, 03:32 PM
Santa Anita

That's a good question!

When it's so soon after it and you're still so stunned and excited, it's easy to go a bit over the top and say it was the best ever.

There have been some great ones - Xcellent coming from last to win in 2004, Jimmy Choux fighting back so courageously in 2011, Silent Achiever's amazing dominance in 2012, Puccini's crazy move in the middle of the race last year.

But I don't know if I've ever seen such an amazing battle between two horses in a Derby before. It was just unbelievable, and it lasted for the whole stretch.
Old 03-01-2015, 03:45 PM
Santa Anita

There was almost too much sporting drama in Auckland on Saturday - across town NZ were playing Australia in a World Cup game at Eden Park, and it was one of the closest and most unbelievable games ever. But we're still undefeated, now in 4 games.
Old 03-01-2015, 09:01 PM
Saratoga

Awesome about the World Cup and, for the record, if an award were given for the most attempts to actually watch the Darley Plate which is now up (well the video is apparently up although it will not actually play)... I'd win!

Man I really want to see it! I think I will finally have recovered from that race where he fell and whoa it's been a couple of years now (I think).

Cannot wait. SO happy for him and for his people.

Quote:
That's a good question!

When it's so soon after it and you're still so stunned and excited, it's easy to go a bit over the top and say it was the best ever.

There have been some great ones - Xcellent coming from last to win in 2004, Jimmy Choux fighting back so courageously in 2011, Silent Achiever's amazing dominance in 2012, Puccini's crazy move in the middle of the race last year.

But I don't know if I've ever seen such an amazing battle between two horses in a Derby before. It was just unbelievable, and it lasted for the whole stretch.
I was trying to decide if it's the greatest NZ Derby I have seen but then started remembering others from the past few years and just wanted your opinion.

I think, for the rest of my life, when I see that replay I will get chills!

Some very nice fields on Wednesday!!!
Old 03-03-2015, 06:57 PM
Saratoga

Are you there today?

Wave to Sangster for me!

Good luck to Graphic and to Rollout the Carpet... would be so happy to see either one win their respective races but alas... very strong fields (I think if I were playing I'd use Abidewithme, Ponderosa Miss and Palace Rock but rooting only... will wait for Oaks day to play).

Have a great time if you're there!
Old 03-03-2015, 11:24 PM
Santa Anita

I had to be at the office for the early part of the day working on the weekly paper, but I've been at Ellerslie since just before the Sunline Vase. Some fantastic performances today - Rock Diva was stunning.