Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Main Forum > The Paddock
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 12-19-2006, 03:01 PM
oracle80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cannon Shell
One last thing about that race. A couple of guys(fans/bettors) came up to me after the race and thanked me for getting after the jockey. Said that they were regulars and nothing pissed them off more than when after one of those rides the trainer and jock held hands and joked like they were buddies. I told the stewards this story but they still fined me. Honestly I was not really that bad, just told him that was the worst f'ing ride I have ever gotten. Stews said I cant curse in public after a race. I asked them if they ever heard the public after they make a bad DQ? They still weren't impressed.
Thats ok some disgruntled and enraged fan "may" have called the stewards the next day and asked them what they intended to do about it.
The fan "may" have even have said "Am I talking to Stevie WOnder or Ray Charles" when they said they saw nothing to merit action.
Old 12-19-2006, 03:01 PM
Goodwood

Default From the TRPB Website

"The TRPB, a wholly owned subsidiary of the Thoroughbred Racing Associations of North America, operates as a national investigative agency in the horse racing industry. Its mandate is to expose and investigate all activity prejudicial to horse racing and to maintain public confidence in the sport of both Thoroughbred and Standardbred racing."
Old 12-19-2006, 03:04 PM
Saratoga

Quote:
One last thing about that race. A couple of guys(fans/bettors) came up to me after the race and thanked me for getting after the jockey. Said that they were regulars and nothing pissed them off more than when after one of those rides the trainer and jock held hands and joked like they were buddies. I told the stewards this story but they still fined me. Honestly I was not really that bad, just told him that was the worst f'ing ride I have ever gotten. Stews said I cant curse in public after a race. I asked them if they ever heard the public after they make a bad DQ? They still weren't impressed.
So in the Stewards' eyes, you have to be Mother Theresa? I swear every five minutes when I am at the track, I am going to try and swear in front of a steward next time I am at Arlington, see if I get fined

More so, I have seen Calabrese and Catalano come to blows after a race and they didn't get fined. Not only were they swearing, programs/hats/pens/shirts were flying around like a tornado.

F'n Stewards, they need to lock 10 people in a room for a whole year and let them make all the decisions, instead of having stewards per track, so we can have some consistency
Old 12-19-2006, 03:11 PM
Arlington Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by oracle80
Stud you and I talked about Tampa last year and I told you why I don't play the place. I know about the large fields, I know about the grass course, I know they pay great. But anytime I've ever tried to make a run at following and understanding the place, I've never felt like I could get a handle on the place.
At any track where purses are miniscule, I think harness racing. By that mean, if the purse on a race is 6 grand, the winning jockey and trainer get 360 bucks for winning the thing, and for the jockey 90 bucks of that goes to his agent. Why should they bust their asses to win all the time when you can geta few races home each day and EVERYONE makes more than that?
I like the small tracks where the purse money is fueled up by slots, you put some money out there and believe me guys try harder. Its just human nature.
I just can't play the joint.
I like the place. Won't play til next month but I'm looking over last year's stuff and watching this year's races. As for the goofy sh it that goes on, I just figure it's all a wash and even figure it benefits me as I will NEVER bet a horse under 6-1 to win there. Maybe I'm wrong for thinking that, but it makes me feel better thinking so.

You certainly can't go to the otb and get a simulcast book or download a drf pp for Tampa at home and have any chance of winning by glancing and firing away. But the pools run $2Mil during the week and $3 Mil+ on the weekends and I truly believe the simulcast money on tracks like Tampa is generally "deader" than on NYRA or SoCal.

If you stick to the multi race exotics, and play single race tris fairly deep when you have a bad chalk, one can do real well playing Tampa.
Old 12-19-2006, 03:13 PM
The_Guy_Smiley

Quote:

At least Patin was trying to win.
Let's not forget by Mr. Patin "trying" to succeed with extraneous help,
he also cheated out other jockeys, owners, horsemen, Oaklawn Park
not to mention the fans nationwide in the Arkansas Derby.

It's still cheating.
Old 12-19-2006, 03:16 PM
Sha Tin

Quote:
Originally Posted by SentToStud
I like the place. Won't play til next month but I'm looking over last year's stuff and watching this year's races. As for the goofy sh it that goes on, I just figure it's all a wash and even figure it benefits me as I will NEVER bet a horse under 6-1 to win there. Maybe I'm wrong for thinking that, but it makes me feel better thinking so.

You certainly can't go to the otb and get a simulcast book or download a drf pp for Tampa at home and have any chance of winning by glancing and firing away. But the pools run $2Mil during the week and $3 Mil+ on the weekends and I truly believe the simulcast money on tracks like Tampa is generally "deader" than on NYRA or SoCal.

If you stick to the multi race exotics, and play single race tris fairly deep when you have a bad chalk, one can do real well playing Tampa.
I do agree that there is alot of "dead" money bet there. The jocks remaining should be putting in a little extra effort in the coming weeks.
Old 12-19-2006, 03:18 PM
oracle80

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Guy_Smiley
Let's not forget by Mr. Patin "trying" to succeed with extraneous help,
he also cheated out other jockeys, owners, horsemen, Oaklawn Park
not to mention the fans nationwide in the Arkansas Derby.

It's still cheating.
Mr Smiley I wasn't condoning what he did. Its wrong and I certainly didn't mean to convey that I approved of what he did.
Its just not as enraging to me as watching one of these guys pull a stranglejob on one of these horses.
Old 12-19-2006, 04:01 PM
5'8".. but all man!

CHEATING AT T3B'S BELOVED TAMPA!!!!!
I suppose someone is gonna tell Da Baron that they cheat at Balmarol??

Im not listening...LALALA...LALALA....LALALA
Old 12-19-2006, 04:04 PM
oracle80

Quote:
Originally Posted by T3B

THERE YOU ARE!!!! I TOLD YOU SO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I TOLD YOU I TOLD YOU I TOLD YOU I TOLD YOU!!!!!
Hows it going buddy?
Old 12-19-2006, 04:07 PM
5'8".. but all man!

Quote:
THERE YOU ARE!!!! I TOLD YOU SO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I TOLD YOU I TOLD YOU I TOLD YOU I TOLD YOU!!!!!
Hows it going buddy?

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
Old 12-19-2006, 04:10 PM
oracle80

Quote:
Originally Posted by T3B
Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
LOL!!!!!!!! Oh come on, I had to do that!!
Old 12-19-2006, 04:14 PM
Saratoga

Quote:
Originally Posted by T3B

They are saints at Tampa compared to Balmoral/Maywood
Old 12-19-2006, 06:07 PM
Blue Eyes

Quote:
I do agree that there is alot of "dead" money bet there. The jocks remaining should be putting in a little extra effort in the coming weeks.
I was told from a friend down there that there are possilby more riders fixing on getting banned.
This, evidently, has been an ongoing investigation (approx. 4 yrs.) and the riders were "ratted" out by another rider from the east coast.
When a horse has to have the bit surgically removed from its a** after the race, then I would say the rider is fixin' races.
Old 12-19-2006, 06:17 PM
Oriental Park

At least there is one honest guy down there riding.
Old 12-19-2006, 06:31 PM
Coach Pants

Race fixing should be an offense punishable by death. Preferably death by firing squad.
Old 12-19-2006, 07:54 PM
oracle80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pillow Pants
Race fixing should be an offense punishable by death. Preferably death by firing squad.
How folks can scream about medication over **** like this will always puzzle me.
Ok I know both are wrong, but juice doesn't assure a horse of winning. When one of these little gnomes grabs a horse, anyone who has played it has NO chance of winning.
Its the biggest problem in the sport today, not juice. I think its widespread, and than God someone is doing something about it.
These little folks aren't members of mensa for the most part, many of them would be saying "would you like cheese on that sir?" if they weren't short. Start taking away their livings, and see how fast they straighten up.
And I also don't think that the trainers are in on most of it. Trainers throw tantrums even worse than players do after some of these races(see cannon Shells story above in this thread).
Those exactas and pik-3's that keep coming back short? the ones everyone tries to explain away? I have a hard time with them, because if the explanations given washed, how come they rarely "guess wrong"? The amount on a percentage basis that they underpay at certain circuits just doesn't jibe, because you would think that a proportional number of them would OVERPAY, and they just don't.
You wanna clean up the game start with this ****, there should be zero tolerance for it.
Old 12-19-2006, 07:59 PM
Sha Tin

I always thought that the jocks rooms should be divided up into little cubicles and each jockey has to stay in their cubicle until its time to race. Take away their cell phones, monitor conversations, etc.

Of course I also think that they should set up a little ring near the winners circle where the jocks can fight it out over objections and inquiries instead of the current system where the stewards just screw it up without any residual entertainment.
Old 12-19-2006, 08:24 PM
Saratoga

Quote:
I always thought that the jocks rooms should be divided up into little cubicles and each jockey has to stay in their cubicle until its time to race. Take away their cell phones, monitor conversations, etc.

Of course I also think that they should set up a little ring near the winners circle where the jocks can fight it out over objections and inquiries instead of the current system where the stewards just screw it up without any residual entertainment.
Awful firey today aren't we Shell?
Old 12-19-2006, 08:29 PM
Coach Pants

Quote:
How folks can scream about medication over **** like this will always puzzle me.
At least with medication you have data that can lead you in the right direction on which trainer has the good stuff by looking at win percentage, off the layoff, etc.

Quote:
Its the biggest problem in the sport today, not juice. I think its widespread, and than God someone is doing something about it.
You aren't the only one who thinks this. I'm not going to accuse anyone in particular but I see shady rides on any given day and it's maddening when it happens with a horse i've wagered on.

Quote:
And I also don't think that the trainers are in on most of it. Trainers throw tantrums even worse than players do after some of these races(see cannon Shells story above in this thread).
Jose Ferrer getting "paroled" makes me sick to my stomach. What are the stewards thinking?
Quote:
Those exactas and pik-3's that keep coming back short? the ones everyone tries to explain away? I have a hard time with them, because if the explanations given washed, how come they rarely "guess wrong"? The amount on a percentage basis that they underpay at certain circuits just doesn't jibe, because you would think that a proportional number of them would OVERPAY, and they just don't.
You wanna clean up the game start with this ****, there should be zero tolerance for it.
Just another black eye for the sport which will probably be mishandled and the punishment will be a joke.
Old 12-19-2006, 08:36 PM
oracle80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pillow Pants
At least with medication you have data that can lead you in the right direction on which trainer has the good stuff by looking at win percentage, off the layoff, etc.

You aren't the only one who thinks this. I'm not going to accuse anyone in particular but I see shady rides on any given day and it's maddening when it happens with a horse i've wagered on.

Jose Ferrer getting "paroled" makes me sick to my stomach. What are the stewards thinking?

Just another black eye for the sport which will probably be mishandled and the punishment will be a joke.
Pillow,
I never rant about it on here until today, but my friends who speak to me about races on a daily basis would tell you I spot at leats 5 races a week I'm convinced are absolutely "made for tv" productions.
Noone cares, noone does anything. 6 horse field on a speed bias and one guy sends while the others are choking. yeah, thats pretty level.