Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Main Forum > The Paddock
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 12-19-2006, 01:25 PM
Gulfstream Park

Default tampa jock ban (Update)

http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-raci...-probe-ongoing

Last edited by Kasept : 12-14-2014 at 12:43 PM.
Old 12-19-2006, 01:33 PM
Gulfstream Park

if this is for race fixing although i have no proof i wouldnt be surprised at all to see 1 of the jocks named in the article. ive saw a few"suspicious" rides from him@cby over the years
Old 12-19-2006, 01:50 PM
Churchill Downs

I can't wait to see Kev's reply to this thread...

The "race fixing" thought is also the first one that went through my mind after reading the article, and one of the listed jocks is who I had in mind when I thought that... got a weak-a$$ ride from him the other day where he "coasted" in on the stretch and finished out of the money on a horse that sure looked like he could still run... why would a jock not smack his horse a few times with his whip when all he has to do is get a nose up to finish ITM? Pissed me off when I saw it - but I want to believe that cheaters aren't that obvious - poor naive me
Old 12-19-2006, 02:00 PM
Arlington Park

I'd be surprised if it's for race fixing for the simple fact Jose "Chokehold" Ferrer isn't among those banned.
Old 12-19-2006, 02:05 PM
oracle80

Quote:
Originally Posted by SentToStud
I'd be surprised if it's for race fixing for the simple fact Jose "Chokehold" Ferrer isn't among those banned.
Stud you and I talked about Tampa last year and I told you why I don't play the place. I know about the large fields, I know about the grass course, I know they pay great. But anytime I've ever tried to make a run at following and understanding the place, I've never felt like I could get a handle on the place.
At any track where purses are miniscule, I think harness racing. By that mean, if the purse on a race is 6 grand, the winning jockey and trainer get 360 bucks for winning the thing, and for the jockey 90 bucks of that goes to his agent. Why should they bust their asses to win all the time when you can geta few races home each day and EVERYONE makes more than that?
I like the small tracks where the purse money is fueled up by slots, you put some money out there and believe me guys try harder. Its just human nature.
I just can't play the joint.
Old 12-19-2006, 02:13 PM
Sha Tin

Quote:
Originally Posted by oracle80
Stud you and I talked about Tampa last year and I told you why I don't play the place. I know about the large fields, I know about the grass course, I know they pay great. But anytime I've ever tried to make a run at following and understanding the place, I've never felt like I could get a handle on the place.
At any track where purses are miniscule, I think harness racing. By that mean, if the purse on a race is 6 grand, the winning jockey and trainer get 360 bucks for winning the thing, and for the jockey 90 bucks of that goes to his agent. Why should they bust their asses to win all the time when you can geta few races home each day and EVERYONE makes more than that?
I like the small tracks where the purse money is fueled up by slots, you put some money out there and believe me guys try harder. Its just human nature.
I just can't play the joint.
Strange things happened there more frequently than any other track I ever stabled at.
Old 12-19-2006, 02:17 PM
oracle80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cannon Shell
Strange things happened there more frequently than any other track I ever stabled at.
Your Dad was once at a place where I was, he came in to watch a race at Tampa on the grass that you had a horse in. I liked your horse myself, and your Dad said that you liked the way he was training.
We bet the horse, and you got the full nelson and chokehold the whole way, your dad just grimaced and asked what the guy was doing, I cursed out not only the jockey himself, but the first 4 generations of his family before vowing never to bet the place again.
Old 12-19-2006, 02:23 PM
The_Guy_Smiley

At this time let us remember that these individuals
named thus far are "innocent until proven guilty".

If found cheating on racing contests,
these jockeys should be banned permanently from the sport.

Not allowed back into the game as Billy "Buzzer Boy" Patin was.
Old 12-19-2006, 02:24 PM
Hippodrome Bluebonnets

Houghton rides at GLD where my horses are at and there has been rumors about him. I won't go into detail but there have numerous fights and threats in the Jock's room. But as in life where the truth lies and what's rumor One may never know.
Old 12-19-2006, 02:26 PM
Sha Tin

Quote:
Your Dad was once at a place where I was, he came in to watch a race at Tampa on the grass that you had a horse in. I liked your horse myself, and your Dad said that you liked the way he was training.
We bet the horse, and you got the full nelson and chokehold the whole way, your dad just grimaced and asked what the guy was doing, I cursed out not only the jockey himself, but the first 4 generations of his family before vowing never to bet the place again.
I know the race you are talking about. I got fined by the stewards for my "language" after the race. I told them if they worried more about what is going on during the race rather than after the race we would all be better off. I have said it before on this board, you would be shocked by the level of ineptitude of stewards nationwide. Of course there are exceptions but depending on them or the commissions to police the sport is a scary proposition.
Old 12-19-2006, 02:26 PM
Gulfstream Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by SentToStud
Speaking of Ferrer, the IRB dropped their suspension of him.
Old 12-19-2006, 02:34 PM
oracle80

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Guy_Smiley
At this time let us remember that these individuals
named thus far are "innocent until proven guilty".

If found cheating on racing contests,
these jockeys should be banned permanently from the sport.

Not allowed back into the game as Billy "Buzzer Boy" Patin was.
At least Patin was trying to win.
I disagree with a few folks on here about juice and its extent, I think the biggest problem is that stewards let blatant non tries go unnoticed and unpunished.
Old 12-19-2006, 02:36 PM
oracle80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cannon Shell
I know the race you are talking about. I got fined by the stewards for my "language" after the race. I told them if they worried more about what is going on during the race rather than after the race we would all be better off. I have said it before on this board, you would be shocked by the level of ineptitude of stewards nationwide. Of course there are exceptions but depending on them or the commissions to police the sport is a scary proposition.

I bet you do know the race. I was enraged. I started swearing as they went into the first turn, and didn't stop swearing until after they hit the wire. The little criminal mother****er should be a jail cell somewhere wearing a child sized orange jumpsuit and bending over for the soap.
Old 12-19-2006, 02:36 PM
Saratoga

The whole Ferrer thing is total BS. Stewards look so hilarious for how they handled it

As far as Tampa. What is the announcer going to do now, he gets SO EXCITED to call out Judice's name. Houghton is gone to, pretty crazy. They might be suspending Valdes for always finishing last.

Folks, this is the type of place that GPK likes, proceed with caution
Old 12-19-2006, 02:37 PM
Saratoga

Quote:
I bet you do know the race. I was enraged. I started swearing as they went into the first turn, and didn't stop swearing until after they hit the wire. The little criminal mother****er should be a jail cell somewhere wearing a child sized orange jumpsuit and bending over for the soap.
So fired up...calm down
Old 12-19-2006, 02:39 PM
Del Mar

Canon Shell- I often see your Dad at the simulcast. He is very tight with one of my best friends. Nice man and also very funny. Says great things about you!
Old 12-19-2006, 02:40 PM
oracle80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scav
So fired up...calm down
If I showed you this replay, you would laugh your ass off. You wouldn't believe it if you saw it. NOONE could be that bad by accident. A ten pound bug making his first ride with no whip coulda given a better effort. Horse sure was ready to run though!!! The guy had to wrestle the horse the whole way and steer into trouble twice and THEN go wide when he could have had a hole to get him beat. Little dwarf bastard had to be exhausted when he came back.
Old 12-19-2006, 02:46 PM
Sha Tin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gander
Canon Shell- I often see your Dad at the simulcast. He is very tight with one of my best friends. Nice man and also very funny. Says great things about you!
Thanks for the kind words.
Old 12-19-2006, 02:54 PM
Oriental Park

Im in shock cheating is going on at Tampa.
Old 12-19-2006, 02:57 PM
Sha Tin

Quote:
If I showed you this replay, you would laugh your ass off. You wouldn't believe it if you saw it. NOONE could be that bad by accident. A ten pound bug making his first ride with no whip coulda given a better effort. Horse sure was ready to run though!!! The guy had to wrestle the horse the whole way and steer into trouble twice and THEN go wide when he could have had a hole to get him beat. Little dwarf bastard had to be exhausted when he came back.
One last thing about that race. A couple of guys(fans/bettors) came up to me after the race and thanked me for getting after the jockey. Said that they were regulars and nothing pissed them off more than when after one of those rides the trainer and jock held hands and joked like they were buddies. I told the stewards this story but they still fined me. Honestly I was not really that bad, just told him that was the worst f'ing ride I have ever gotten. Stews said I cant curse in public after a race. I asked them if they ever heard the public after they make a bad DQ? They still weren't impressed.