Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Main Forum > The Paddock
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 11-12-2014, 10:10 AM
Steve Byk

Default PRIVMAN: Cal Chrome a 'go' in Hollywood Derby

BREAKING NEWS: California Chrome to run in Hol Derby on turf at DMR on 11-29, per trainer Art Sherman. Full story at http://live.drf.com
Old 11-12-2014, 10:14 AM
Sunshine Park

interesting they are moving him to turf.... Big Brown did the same thing at Monmouth
Old 11-12-2014, 10:38 AM
Santa Anita

This certainly makes the Derby a LOT more interesting and adds to the end of year questions.
Old 11-12-2014, 10:40 AM
Sunshine Park

I cant see California Chrome not being horse of the year. When its close tie goes to the derby winner, no?
Old 11-12-2014, 10:46 AM
Gulfstream Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smarty Cide View Post
I cant see California Chrome not being horse of the year. When its close tie goes to the derby winner, no?
usually yes, but lost two in a row to Bayern after the TC races
Old 11-12-2014, 10:55 AM
Sunshine Park

thats true but i guess it depends on the true definition of horse of the year... kind of like an "MVP Award" is it just the flat out best horse by opinion or the Most Valuable to the sport... i.e. news worthy and story of the year... etc..
Old 11-12-2014, 11:29 AM
Gulfstream Park

Quote:
thats true but i guess it depends on the true definition of horse of the year... kind of like an "MVP Award" is it just the flat out best horse by opinion or the Most Valuable to the sport... i.e. news worthy and story of the year... etc..
I think HOY is horse with best record, like Main Sequnce, 4 for 4 in Grade 1 races, hard to beat perfection!!!
Old 11-12-2014, 12:42 PM
Super Mod.. and Super Fly

Quote:
That would be the only explanation for Zenyatta winning it over Blame.
Old 11-12-2014, 04:35 PM
Goodwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by ateamstupid View Post
You forgot the explanation that the majority of people are fugging idiots.
Old 11-12-2014, 05:12 PM
Flemington

Quote:
Originally Posted by ateamstupid View Post
Ugh. For some reason the screech of "Blaaaammme" popped into my head.
Old 11-12-2014, 08:55 PM
Hialeah Park

I reserved my table at the El Palio on the 6th floor !
Old 11-13-2014, 02:20 AM
Flemington

Quote:
I cant see how Chrome gets any award. Bayern is HOY and 3yr old champ. Its not even close.
Old 11-13-2014, 02:21 AM
Flemington

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indian Charlie View Post
You forgot the explanation that the majority of people are fugging idiots.
Who do you think should be 3yr old champ and HOY this year?
Old 11-13-2014, 05:02 AM
Steve Byk

From DRF's Toronto man Ron Gierkink..

Lexie Lou vs. California Chrome

The possibility of this year's Queen's Plate winner Lexie Lou meeting this year's Kentucky Derby winner California Chrome in the Grade 1 Hollywood Derby on the grass at Del Mar Nov. 29 would be a rare matchup between the winners of these two prestigious events.

Woodbine's crack media office staff has determined that the last time the winners of these two races met was in the Grade 1 Woodward at Saratoga in 2006, when '05 Plate winner Wild Desert wound up sixth, ahead of '03 derby winner Funny Cide.

Perhaps the most famous such meeting came in 1998, when Awesome Again, the '97 Plate winner, outran '97 Derby winner Silver Charm to take the Grade 1 Breeders' Cup Classic at Churchill.

Trainer Mark Casse said he has Corey Nakatani lined up to ride Lexie Lou in either the Hollywood Derby or against older females in the Grade 1 Matriarch Nov. 30 at Del Mar.
Old 11-13-2014, 06:57 AM
Havre de Grace

Per Brisnet -

" The Kentucky Derby and Preakness winner is slated to work on the Jimmy Durante Turf Course at Del Mar on Sunday, November 23, Sherman indicated. A decision on either the Hollywood Derby or Native Diver could be made following the drill "

http://www.brisnet.com/cgi-bin/edito...ll_edition.cgi

Blaise Pascal
Old 11-13-2014, 07:16 AM
Sunshine Park

The only reason California Chrome is going to run in one of the two races, is because the ownership, realizes, that they are behind in the race for HOY, and three year old champ. They have twice lost to Bayern, Shared Belief has a victory over older, and an excuse. California Chrome has neither. The funny thing that I find, is that everyone says that Bayern needs to win by not having any pace pressure, and therefore getting the perfect trip as a front runner. What is the difference between Bayern needing a paceless trip, and California Chrome, not being trapped on the inside of horses? He also needs a perfect trip. So explain to me, why Bayern style is looked down upon, and Cal Chrome's is not? They both need a trip, but different they have completely different styles. As for tracks favoring speed, the only place you see runners on dirt come from behind, is in the movies. Otherwise, in North America, the universal bias is SPEED.
Old 11-13-2014, 09:51 AM
Goodwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockHardTen1985 View Post
Who do you think should be 3yr old champ and HOY this year?
I have no strong opinion on those.

If I had a gun to my head though, even though I know Shared Belief is the better horse, I'd probably give it to Chrome.

Bayern, he's had too many crappy starts, and was gifted the BCC. Remember, I like that horse too, as he was my Derby pick after Shared Belief went down.
Old 11-13-2014, 02:21 PM
Flemington

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indian Charlie View Post
I have no strong opinion on those.

If I had a gun to my head though, even though I know Shared Belief is the better horse, I'd probably give it to Chrome.

Bayern, he's had too many crappy starts, and was gifted the BCC. Remember, I like that horse too, as he was my Derby pick after Shared Belief went down.
I also think Shared Belief is much better then California Chrome.
Old 11-13-2014, 02:44 PM
Goodwood

I guess I can't always be right.
Old 11-13-2014, 03:10 PM
Gulfstream Park

Bayern Top-Ranked U.S.-Based Horse in World
By Blood-Horse Staff November 13, 2014 10:03 AM 21 CommentsRacing, International, Breeders' Cup, West Region
Photo: Anne M. Eberhardt
Breeders' Cup Classic winner Bayern
Order This Photo
 Print Email Share
 ShareWith his victory in the $5 million Breeders' Cup Classic (gr. I) Nov. 1 at Santa Anita Park, Bayern moved into a tie for sixth on the Longines World's Best Race Horse Rankings.

The rankings listed on the International Federation of Horseracing Authorities website give Bayern a 125 rating, which is tied for sixth with Idee Deutsches Derby (Ger-I) winner Sea the Moon and Qatar Prix d l'Arc de Triomphe (Fr-I) winner Treve. Bayern is the highest-rated dirt horse in the world and highest rated U.S.-based horse.

Read more on BloodHorse.com: http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-raci...#ixzz3Iz3xPtaK