Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Main Forum > The Paddock
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-29-2011, 12:34 PM
Sha Tin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danzig View Post
it just seemed to me from comments pletcher made that she wasn't herself and he knew it..
i guess my main beef is that they went after veitch, when pletcher,imo, knew more about the situation. did they assume veitch was watching tv and saw the interview??

and yes, no doubt there'd have been an uproar had they scratched her. look at the trainer, jock, etc when they scratched that euro horse this year-and she had a physical injury.

but i guess captain hindsight strikes again, this time in kentucky.
They went after Veitch because they wanted to scapegoat him to get rid of him. There is nothing to really go after Pletcher about.
Old 11-29-2011, 12:40 PM
Santa Anita

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cannon Shell View Post
Veitch simply wasn't politically skilled enough to survive in the KHRA run by political operatives who are tasked with a mission by the ivory tower crowd.
Good people seldom are. They're too busy doing their job.
Old 11-29-2011, 12:57 PM
Churchill Downs

Quote:
They went after Veitch because they wanted to scapegoat him to get rid of him. There is nothing to really go after Pletcher about.
Don't you think it was a colossal screw-up, under the circumstances, not to have sent Life At Ten, a 3-1 second choice who was essentially eased by her rider, to the test barn?
Old 11-29-2011, 01:04 PM
Jerome Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by parsixfarms View Post
Don't you think it was a colossal screw-up, under the circumstances, not to have sent Life At Ten, a 3-1 second choice who was essentially eased by her rider, to the test barn?
Let's say it was a mistake. Does that mean he should lose his job? Have you, or anyone you know, made a mistake at work without losing employment?

I get the idiocy I have read on the internet. Most horseplayers are glad to see a Steward lose their job. It makes them feel better for all the times the have felt wronged by a Stewards decision. So they say something dopey about this situation without thinking. I get it.
Old 11-29-2011, 01:07 PM
Dee Tee Stables

Quote:
so they used this as an excuse? that makes it even worse. wow. how ridiculous. now it makes sense why they didn't bother with pletcher.
Old 11-29-2011, 01:43 PM
Churchill Downs

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackthroatedwind View Post
Let's say it was a mistake. Does that mean he should lose his job? Have you, or anyone you know, made a mistake at work without losing employment?

I get the idiocy I have read on the internet. Most horseplayers are glad to see a Steward lose their job. It makes them feel better for all the times the have felt wronged by a Stewards decision. So they say something dopey about this situation without thinking. I get it.
Of course, an individual doesn't lose his or her job every tim he or she makes a mistake. But there are "mistakes" and then there are "MISTAKES."

We could have a lengthy discussion as to whether the failure to have Life At Ten tested under the circumstances - or any of the other alleged "mistakes" made by the stewards during last year's Breeders' Cup - would have justified a "for cause" termination. Of course, that's not the issue any longer, assuming published reports are correct, that this was a "without cause" termination (of a political appointee).

I, for one, do not rejoice in John Veitch losing his job. However, I do not think it is accurate to suggest that he was completely without fault in the Life At Ten affair. Nor do I think it fair to suggest that to suggest that those who have been critical of his handling of the Life At Ten situation are simply disgruntled horseplayers.
Old 11-29-2011, 01:57 PM
Sha Tin

Quote:
It would make sense to do so yes. But I dont know that Veitch is soley responsibile for determining who goes to be tested outside of the winner and 2nd place finishers. There were 2 other stewards as well. And lets be honest there is virtually no chance that testing would have found anything to put the blame on.
Old 11-29-2011, 02:10 PM
Jerome Park

Quote:
. Nor do I think it fair to suggest that to suggest that those who have been critical of his handling of the Life At Ten situation are simply disgruntled horseplayers.
I think that would be stupid as well. Who said that?
Old 11-29-2011, 02:11 PM
Sha Tin

Quote:
Of course, an individual doesn't lose his or her job every tim he or she makes a mistake. But there are "mistakes" and then there are "MISTAKES."

We could have a lengthy discussion as to whether the failure to have Life At Ten tested under the circumstances - or any of the other alleged "mistakes" made by the stewards during last year's Breeders' Cup - would have justified a "for cause" termination. Of course, that's not the issue any longer, assuming published reports are correct, that this was a "without cause" termination (of a political appointee).

I, for one, do not rejoice in John Veitch losing his job. However, I do not think it is accurate to suggest that he was completely without fault in the Life At Ten affair. Nor do I think it fair to suggest that to suggest that those who have been critical of his handling of the Life At Ten situation are simply disgruntled horseplayers.
Again lets not forget that we are judging knowing the outcome. At the time I thought that the horse must be lame or have a physical issue to have been pulled up after racing so sluggishly. You wouldnt think to send a lame or sore horse to the spit box. I don't know what his thinking was and obviously to cover his ass he should have sent her there but that wouldnt have solved anything.

I still have to put the onus on Velazquez. He is the one on the horse and he had been on her previously. Why he felt it was ok to say that she wasnt warming up well to a national tv audience and not mention something to the vets is beyond me. And I still dont think they would have advised scratching her.
Old 11-29-2011, 02:22 PM
Churchill Downs

Quote:
It would make sense to do so yes. But I dont know that Veitch is soley responsibile for determining who goes to be tested outside of the winner and 2nd place finishers. There were 2 other stewards as well. And lets be honest there is virtually no chance that testing would have found anything to put the blame on.
I appreciate that we are looking at this situation with the benefit of 20/20 hindsight. In addition to testing the first few finishers, wouldn't normal protocol call for the testing of a beaten favorite or a short-priced horse who essentially threw in a "non effort"? Your point about why they have focused solely on Veitch and not the role of the other two stewards is well taken.
Old 11-29-2011, 02:38 PM
Sha Tin

Quote:
I appreciate that we are looking at this situation with the benefit of 20/20 hindsight. In addition to testing the first few finishers, wouldn't normal protocol call for the testing of a beaten favorite or a short-priced horse who essentially threw in a "non effort"? Your point about why they have focused solely on Veitch and not the role of the other two stewards is well taken.
Normal protocol would though this situation was anything but. Everything is shrouded in secrecy as to who they test outside of the mandatories but I have had 30-1 shots run like 30-1 shots that get called for special tests before as well. Other than covering his ass I dont think a negative test would change the public perception of this mess.
Old 11-29-2011, 02:48 PM
Churchill Downs

Quote:
Normal protocol would though this situation was anything but. Everything is shrouded in secrecy as to who they test outside of the mandatories but I have had 30-1 shots run like 30-1 shots that get called for special tests before as well. Other than covering his ass I dont think a negative test would change the public perception of this mess.
A negative test may not have changed a lot of the public perception, but the failure to test a horse trained by Pletcher only added fuel to the fire.
Old 11-30-2011, 09:33 PM
Calder Race Course

Veitch appeals firing, asks to be reinstated as steward
Quote:
Former chief Kentucky racing steward John Veitch, 66, on Wednesday appealed his firing on the grounds of age discrimination, among other reasons. He is requesting that he be reinstated and awarded damages........

http://www.kentucky.com/2011/11/30/1...g-asks-to.html
Old 12-14-2011, 03:01 PM
Keeneland

Default Hearing Officer report released in John Veitch - Life At Ten

Quote:
Former Kentucky chief state racing steward John Veitch failed in his duties in his handling of Life At Ten at the 2010 Breeders' Cup at Churchill Downs, according to a hearing officer's 31-page report released Wednesday.

Hearing officer Robert Layton agreed with the Kentucky Horse Racing Commission's vote that Veitch violated state rules in five instances.
Read more: http://www.kentucky.com/2011/12/14/1...#ixzz1gXqpVC9m
"Have the clean racing people run any ads explaining that giving a horse a Starbucks and a chocolate poppyseed muffin for breakfast would likely result in a ten year suspension for the trainer?" - Dr. Andrew Roberts
Old 12-14-2011, 03:09 PM
Fairgrounds

So Vietch is the one that get reprimanded for it - while the others get away scoot free?
Old 12-14-2011, 03:20 PM
Santa Anita

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan07 View Post
So Vietch is the one that get reprimanded for it - while the others get away scoot free?
The boss usually takes the hit.
Old 12-14-2011, 03:26 PM
Goodwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmorioles View Post
The boss usually takes the hit.
Not where I work, the **** rolls downhill and the bosses are teflon.
Old 12-14-2011, 03:30 PM
Santa Anita

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigsmc View Post
Not where I work, the **** rolls downhill and the bosses are teflon.
Military guy here, and while it did indeed roll downhill, it hit those at the top hardest.
Old 04-12-2012, 01:33 PM
Dee Tee Stables

just saw that the judge has issued a stay on the license suspension so that veitch at least can get a job elsewhere if he wishes.
Old 04-27-2013, 04:21 PM
Steve Byk

Default John Veitch finally vindicated, reinstated!

May be more legal wrangling yet, but thrilled to see one of the sport's finest men finally have things go his way. Congratulations to John!

http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-raci...erly-dismissed

The Kentucky Personnel Board has ruled that fired chief racing steward John Veitch should be reinstated to his former position and be awarded all back pay and benefits dating to his dismissal date of Nov. 28, 2011. The April 24 ruling, which can be appealed within 15 days, agreed with Veitch's attorneys that the executive director of the Kentucky Horse Racing Commission, and not the Public Protection Cabinet, had the jurisdiction to fire Veitch.