Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Main Forum > The Paddock
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 04-16-2009, 08:16 AM
Woodbine

Does anyone think a jockey can make a horse run faster than she can already run. Bad trip, bad result. Last in Cali was a awaking, she ain't that good anymore. Flaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat
Old 04-16-2009, 08:19 AM
Goodwood

A couple of my friends are still trying to justify the $5.7mm purchase price.

IEAH will be applying for TARP money soon I'm thinking...
Old 04-16-2009, 08:23 AM
Arlington Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by NTamm1215
This might be the funniest reason I've ever read for changing riders:

http://www.brisnet.com/cgi-bin/edito...e.cgi?id=14680

NT
Sort of reminiscent to when Bailey took over for Smith on Cigar...
Old 04-16-2009, 08:45 AM
Arlington Park

I served up a lob but no one bit....

So I'll say it, 15 in a row cannot be far behind..
Old 04-16-2009, 09:32 AM
Oaklawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSC
If Stardom Bound becomes the next Cigar, you can dig-up this post, print it and I'll give you a $100 voucher.
Old 04-16-2009, 09:34 AM
Arlington Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis Stone
If Stardom Bound becomes the next Cigar, you can dig-up this post, print it and I'll give you a $100 voucher.
Thnx, I think your hundred is very safe.
Old 04-16-2009, 10:05 AM
Belmont Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by MISTERGEE
did i hear someone replaced him on chantel too?
Post of the year considerations
Old 04-16-2009, 10:56 AM
Oriental Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSC
It is?

When Smith chose to get off to ride Devil His Due, and Bailey inherited the ride....but yea I can see how you say that.
Old 04-16-2009, 11:14 AM
Arlington Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10 pnt move up
It is?

When Smith chose to get off to ride Devil His Due, and Bailey inherited the ride....but yea I can see how you say that.
10 Point, It was sort of a tongue in cheek comment. I think Stardom Bound is a nice horse to give her some credit but if IEAH thinks Gomez is going to radically improve this horse with the Jockey change, they are surely kidding themselves. So yes I was kind of half serious, half joking with that Cigar remark.
Old 04-16-2009, 11:21 AM
Oriental Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSC
10 Point, It was sort of a tongue in cheek comment. I think Stardom Bound is a nice horse to give her some credit but if IEAH thinks Gomez is going to radically improve this horse with the Jockey change, they are surely kidding themselves. So yes I was kind of half serious, half joking with that Cigar remark.
Stardom Bound is a stretch running sprinter in my book, won the Breeders Cup at a distance because of the surface and she has some ability.
Old 04-17-2009, 10:03 PM
Washington Park

I guess Iavarone is intending to run Stardom Bound in the Classic, because that's where I think Zenyatta will be. I saw this coming after the Ashland. Dutrow doesn't use Smith on anything so he was on borrowed time. I happen to like the filly since I saw her first start. Still do. I know that she has several detractors, but five grade 1's in a row is nothing to sneeze at.
Let's see if she gets pace on dirt in the Oaks and then decide. Maybe Laragh will be her rabbit!!!

My guess is she comes east. Prado will get the mount after Gomez and Anderson play mercenary throughout the summer. Smith may very well be back on her in October.
Old 04-18-2009, 12:21 AM
Santa Anita

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis Stone
Does this encompass both racetrack and breeding shed?
Old 04-18-2009, 08:53 AM
Dee Tee Stables

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revidere
I guess Iavarone is intending to run Stardom Bound in the Classic, because that's where I think Zenyatta will be. I saw this coming after the Ashland. Dutrow doesn't use Smith on anything so he was on borrowed time. I happen to like the filly since I saw her first start. Still do. I know that she has several detractors, but five grade 1's in a row is nothing to sneeze at.
Let's see if she gets pace on dirt in the Oaks and then decide. Maybe Laragh will be her rabbit!!!

My guess is she comes east. Prado will get the mount after Gomez and Anderson play mercenary throughout the summer. Smith may very well be back on her in October.
i will be very surprised if they run her there, considering their comments last year when it came up. some camps are more than willing to run a filly/mare vs colts, while others are not. i think her people fit in the latter category.
Old 04-18-2009, 09:10 AM
Arlington Park

Nobody really knows how many races he will actually be on her or if it will make any difference. Stardom Bound's recent defeat also didn't really have anything to do with Smith.
But still, can anybody really blame them for making that change? The business about the long-term plans and matchup with Zenyatta seems stupid, but does anybody doubt that Gomez is a better all-around rider than Smith? I know I don't. If they secretly think a jock-change will dramatically improve the horse's performance then, yeah, they are probably kidding themselves. But doesn't it make sense to go out and get the guy they think is the best? What am I missing?
Old 04-18-2009, 09:22 AM
Dee Tee Stables

i don't think anyone is questioning going to gomez...but it is funny to most from what i can tell that they are still pointing stardom bound to a matchup vs arguably the best horse on a synthetic track.
Old 04-18-2009, 10:19 AM
Arlington Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danzig
i don't think anyone is questioning going to gomez...but it is funny to most from what i can tell that they are still pointing stardom bound to a matchup vs arguably the best horse on a synthetic track.
Perhaps they were just looking for a somewhat diplomatic way to switch to Gomez, and that is the excuse they came up with. If, on the other hand, they actually do think she can beat Zenyatta, well then yeah, I'd say it is a bit of semi-delusional wishful thinking.
Old 04-18-2009, 10:23 AM
Dee Tee Stables

Quote:
Originally Posted by miraja2
Perhaps they were just looking for a somewhat diplomatic way to switch to Gomez, and that is the excuse they came up with. If, on the other hand, they actually do think she can beat Zenyatta, well then yeah, I'd say it is a bit of semi-delusional wishful thinking.
that's probably what it is. but i'd imagine everyone, smith included, knows it's really just that-an excuse. if you can get gomez, you get him.
Old 04-18-2009, 10:54 AM
"The Kentucky Killing Machine"

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaHoss9698
I understand why you switch to Gomez, but their excuse was lame. There was talk here and on other boards blaming Smith for the Ashland, which in my opinion was crazy. I think IEAH is looking to blame someone because their big investment hasn't really panned out. Smith is an easy target.
and that horse is going backwards fast..
Old 04-18-2009, 12:01 PM
Dee Tee Stables

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaHoss9698
I understand why you switch to Gomez, but their excuse was lame. There was talk here and on other boards blaming Smith for the Ashland, which in my opinion was crazy. I think IEAH is looking to blame someone because their big investment hasn't really panned out. Smith is an easy target.
they evidently haven't paid any attention to her races this year if they think the blame falls on smith.
Old 04-18-2009, 02:43 PM
Oriental Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danzig
they evidently haven't paid any attention to her races this year if they think the blame falls on smith.
Its always the riders fault...just ask anyone here when they lose.