Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Main Forum > The Paddock
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 04-05-2009, 08:11 PM
The Curragh

Maybe Mullins had a little cold/cough and the air power is the only thing that works for him. He ha s it carefully dosed in the syringe. Thats a plausable/believable defence, right?
Old 04-05-2009, 08:26 PM
Goodwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucklestheclown
Obviously his watch was still on pacific time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linny
I wonder if his bringing a syring to the D-barn could have prevented IWR from even running. He got caught over the Bay Shore colt but did he have one there for IWR too?
Could the stewards just said that as "the trainer of IWR has an illegal substance and delivery method" we must scratch all his horses.
Should have been.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cannon Shell
For attempting to break the rules he should get a long suspension. While people's call for blood for fairly innocuous substances in minute levels found in post race tests are often misguided, intentionally attempting to break the rules should be dealt with harshly. Regardless of how useless the substance in question is. And Air Power is pretty useless in the grand scheme. The guy is a bad guy and he deserves whatever he gets. And his owners better realize that they are part of the problem too. This guy should get a 5 year suspension. Or worse.
Didn't we basically foreshadow this yesterday, without even knowing it? What if this piece of sh1t had tried this in the Kentucky Derby instead of the Bay Shore? Imagine the backlash from the media would have been. He's already publically shamed the game with his ridiculous comments to the LA Times.

At least I am 99% sure I didn't get beat in the last at Keeneland yesterday by a cheat. By the way, my friend was in the winner's circle for that race, she used to work for Seitz. LOL
Old 04-05-2009, 08:26 PM
Steve Byk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cardus
Really, has that been prosecuted before in New York?

If so, who were the owner(s) and trainer involved?
It's been threatened in many incidents and then hasn't been part of final penalty agreements.
Old 04-05-2009, 08:27 PM
Sam Houston

After an investigation and if the facts prove true NYRA should ban Mullins for a lengthly period if not life. I suspect other states will give a look as well. This is the correct time to clean the game if it is to survive.
Old 04-05-2009, 08:31 PM
Goodwood

Quote:
Really, has that been prosecuted before in New York?

If so, who were the owner(s) and trainer involved?
Greg Martin (training for IEAH ) was prosecuted for his role in the A One Rocket milkshaking. Got a fine, probation, and home confinement.
Old 04-05-2009, 08:33 PM
Steve Byk

Quote:
Tongue in cheek.
Got ya, but it is brought up in the initial phases of any incident. I think it doesn't get pressed because it's akin to proving conspiracy which is very difficult. If it didn't get used in the Greg Martin/IEAH horse case, I imagine it will never be used.
Old 04-05-2009, 08:36 PM
Dee Tee Stables

The company’s website states that Air Power will stop a horse’s cough all day and “that nothing manufactured and sold by Finish Line will test positive in any race or show jurisdiction.

i wonder if that should include an * with fine print saying something about they can't guarantee the syringe is invisible.
Old 04-05-2009, 08:38 PM
Oaklawn

this is an "oral dose syringe" , not a needle, right?
Old 04-05-2009, 08:50 PM
pgardn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby Fischer
this is an "oral dose syringe" , not a needle, right?
got to be oral...
Old 04-05-2009, 08:52 PM
Santa Anita

from the www.thoroughbredtimes.com

"Like Dutrow, Mullins is no stranger to rules violations. In spring 2008, he served a 20-day suspension from the California Horse Racing Board for use of the Class 2 drug mepivicane, and at least one of his horses tested positive for excessive levels of total carbon dioxide in 2005. In the aftermath of his troubles in 2005, Mullins lashed out against the industry and was quoted in the Los Angeles Times as having attributed his troubles to horseplayers “crying about losing a $2 bet.

“If you bet on horses, I would call you an idiot,” the Times quoted the trainer as saying.

Mullins had another total carbon dioxide violation in summer 2008.

Mahoney said that Mullins’s presence in the detention barn itself was not a violation. He added that any attempt to administer something to a horse and possession of a syringe would be violations."
Old 04-05-2009, 08:55 PM
Atlantic City Race Course

Quote:
Put aside the "let us hear all of the facts before jumping to conclusions" argument, which I think is fair enough.

Isn't anyone going to defend Mullins? Almost all of the other shady things have been defended here.

I don't remember anything shady being defended. either it wasn't shady or it wasn't defended.

as for Facts.. Mullins has nothing but contempt for the betting public. (and the rules) if these allegations are true, I think he deserves a severe judgement at least as bad as Patrick Biancone.
Old 04-05-2009, 08:58 PM
Cahokia Downs

I think having anything in the D-Barns other than your pale and sponge is not acceptable. Not sure of all the rules.

As an upside it was great to get to Aqueduct on Saturday after so many years and making the trip with one of my favorite people and seeing so many folks I don't always get to see and got to witness some pretty good racing I had a great time.

Despite the shroud over IEAH they do have talent for acquiring several graded
winners in a short time. There seems to be the semblance of good team work hear. We will see.

If the whole game goes to hell I'll move my tack to the QVC Network and produce the weekly "spanks" hours. Then we'll see how long it takes me to go bad.
Old 04-05-2009, 09:06 PM
Hialeah Park

They must have cameras in the detention barn right?

youtube baby !!!
Old 04-05-2009, 09:24 PM
Washington Park

I remember on a hot Saratoga day, being told by security that i could not be drinking Gatorade in the detention barn. No problem. But what about that coke machine selling all kinds of pop over there, he didn't have an answer for that
Old 04-05-2009, 09:37 PM
Oriental Park

I hope I Want Revenge wins the Derby by 10, and the Triple Crown, its just to perfect a story with this in the mix.
Old 04-05-2009, 10:13 PM
Oaklawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kasept
It's been threatened in many incidents and then hasn't been part of final penalty agreements.
How is it that now perps get to negotiate their penalties? And we wonder what's wrong?
Old 04-05-2009, 10:16 PM
Oaklawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by outofthebox
I remember on a hot Saratoga day, being told by security that i could not be drinking Gatorade in the detention barn. No problem. But what about that coke machine selling all kinds of pop over there, he didn't have an answer for that
A friend of mine got grilled in the detention barn about the use of VetWrap. I guess the guard was new and had no idea what it was for and she had to show him. She should have wrapped it around his head.
Old 04-05-2009, 10:24 PM
Goodwood

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/04/06/sp...ef=othersports
Old 04-05-2009, 10:27 PM
Oaklawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stall Mucker
I think having anything in the D-Barns other than your pale and sponge is not acceptable. Not sure of all the rules.

As an upside it was great to get to Aqueduct on Saturday after so many years and making the trip with one of my favorite people and seeing so many folks I don't always get to see and got to witness some pretty good racing I had a great time.

Despite the shroud over IEAH they do have talent for acquiring several graded
winners in a short time. There seems to be the semblance of good team work hear. We will see.

If the whole game goes to hell I'll move my tack to the QVC Network and produce the weekly "spanks" hours. Then we'll see how long it takes me to go bad.
Good times indeed. The Big A is one of my favorite tracks. I am very curious about this situation. I imagine that they could have prevented IWR from running.
Sale agreement says Lanzman call the shots on who trains the colt unless he runs off the board in several consecutive races. Now I wonder if the puplic outcry will force a change and if Dutrow (another beauty) will have him by week's end?

Oh, what time is the Spanx hour?
Old 04-05-2009, 10:35 PM
Flemington

You've caught one of our most famous SoCal cheater trainers. He's not at home (where he can just pay a fine, and spend a month with his kids.) He's been caught alkalizing twice(he's a crook who has gotten breaks from corrupt people.) Now he is caught taking a product with him into the detention barn. I'm just guessing he gets away with that out here. That's 3 times. Send him( with his Corona Beer n Lime) back to Utah, Arizona, or Idaho.