Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > The Steve Dellinger Discourse Den
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 02-11-2014, 09:52 AM
Atlantic City Race Course

Default NY Post editorial

As the NY'ers probably know, NYCLASS has been spending mucho $$ trying to get carriage horses banned in NYC. The most frightening part of this whole affair is that it's created a situation where I actually agree with an editorial in the NYPost.

http://nypost.com/2014/02/09/trojan-horse/

Seriously, this is really frustrating. And it makes you realize how separate most people's lives are from animals, that the absurd accusations of "abuse" are actually getting traction.
Old 02-11-2014, 01:15 PM
Arlington Park

I work for one of the vets that was asked to investigate the abuse. He found no abuse and well cared for animals. This is pure politics.
Old 02-11-2014, 01:35 PM
Dee Tee Stables

reminds me of the accusations of abuse lodged against a certain thoroughbred retirement facility....cost them a lot of money to fight that. they prevailed in the end, the accusations were baseless-but if your attackers can outspend or outlast the target, then what?

it's simply ridiculous. where are these people to say that humans working is cruelty? then i'll talk!
Old 02-12-2014, 09:47 AM
Santa Anita

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rileyoriley View Post
I work for one of the vets that was asked to investigate the abuse. He found no abuse and well cared for animals. This is pure politics.
BINGO

http://spectator.org/blog/57345/de-b...n-carriage-ban
Old 02-25-2014, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDog View Post
I'm glad this is starting to get attention. NYCLASS is funded by the owner of Manhattan Mini Storage and it's clear he wants the real estate the stables stand on. George Carlin was right; it's always about stuff.

Jon Stewart, who I usually like, apparently made a comment about watching the "sad" carriage horses leaving the stables (they're near his studio) and it made me really think about the total disconnect between people and working animals. I'm no horse expert, but I've spent enough time around them (and around the carriage horses; I used to work near the park) to understand that a lowered head, ears at half mast and a slow pace are not signs of a "sad" horse; they're signs of a relaxed horse. Le sigh.
Old 02-25-2014, 08:09 AM
Keeneland

if people weren't so damn lazy they'd walk....

wonder if the same guy came up with both carriage rides and sweetest day?
Old 02-27-2014, 11:06 AM
Gulfstream Park

Blog post from one of my favorite authors..Jon Katz. Talks about the working aspect of these horses.

http://www.bedlamfarm.com/2014/02/26...rses-or-carts/
Old 02-28-2014, 01:43 PM
Hialeah Park

Liam will kick his ass if they shut it down..

http://www.aol.com/article/2014/02/2...ayor/20840592/
Old 02-28-2014, 02:07 PM
Sha Tin

"Mayor, this is someone that knows what you are up to"-Liam on phone in Taken voice

"Who is this?? Is this Al Roker again?"-DeBlasio angrily

"Listen carefully communist mayor as I am only going to say this once. Leave the horses alone"

"You can't tell me what to do! I'm the fukin mayor of New York!! We do want we want!"

"Shut up idiot! This is what is going to happen, you are going to leave the horses alone or I am going to take the fork and knife that your pansy ass eats pizza with and jam them into your eyes"

"Uh ok, I will leave the horses alone. I have enough fun making public school children go to school in blizzards and closing charter schools that actually teach kids something. Hey you dont need an SNAP card do you? I can have your neighborhood roads cleared 1st next time it snows...even if it is on the upper east side. If you get arrested I can make some calls for you. Hello? Are you still there...."
Old 02-28-2014, 02:48 PM
Hialeah Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cannon Shell View Post
"Mayor, this is someone that knows what you are up to"-Liam on phone in Taken voice

"Listen carefully communist mayor as I am only going to say this once. Leave the horses alone"

"You can't tell me what to do! I'm the fukin mayor of New York!! We do want we want!"

"Shut up idiot! This is what is going to happen, you are going to leave the horses alone or I am going to take the fork and knife that your pansy ass eats pizza with and jam them into your eyes"

"Uh ok, I will leave the horses alone. I have enough fun making public school children go to school in blizzards and closing charter schools that actually teach kids something. Hey you dont need an SNAP card do you? I can have your neighborhood roads cleared 1st next time it snows...even if it is on the upper east side. If you get arrested I can make some calls for you. Hello? Are you still there...."

...but what I do have is a very particular set of skills...
Old 02-28-2014, 04:56 PM
Dee Tee Stables

Quote:
Originally Posted by GBBob View Post
Liam will kick his ass if they shut it down..

http://www.aol.com/article/2014/02/2...ayor/20840592/
i saw that daily show where he made the comments. good for him, and especially since i'm sure he knew that stewart wants the carriages shut down, too.
that's what happens when people with no clue about animals think they know better, they go after peoples' livelihoods-people with the biggest stake in those animals' care, health and well-being.
Old 02-28-2014, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpncaine View Post
Blog post from one of my favorite authors..Jon Katz. Talks about the working aspect of these horses.

http://www.bedlamfarm.com/2014/02/26...rses-or-carts/
I agree; his stuff on the carriage horses is great.
Old 03-03-2014, 03:03 PM
Randwyck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cannon Shell View Post

"The Duke? The Duke of New York, A-Number-1, the Big Man, that's who!"
Old 03-04-2014, 09:07 AM

And hizzoner refuses Liam's invitation to visit the stables:

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/poli...icle-1.1709757

In all fairness, I understand why the school system was kept open on those snow days and I support rolling back the endless free goodies that Bloomie gave to his charter school buddies, but this carriage horse thing is so blatantly di Blasio giving something away to his real estate buddies it's just ridiculous. His time would be better spent dealing with the labor contracts that Bloomberg ignored for years so that they could be the next mayor's problem (way to run a business, Bloomie! You kick that can!). And eliminating an entire class of unionized workers is not a way to begin handling it.

Bleah.
Old 12-02-2014, 07:38 AM
Santa Anita

Hooves up! Don't shoot!

de Blasio Unveiling Bill to Ban Horse-Drawn Carriages

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/12/02/ny...=top-news&_r=0
Old 11-30-2015, 12:43 PM
Santa Anita

2 years later...

De Blasio retreats to his "safe space:"

http://nypost.com/2015/11/29/de-blas...re-ridiculous/

Quote:
Mayor de Blasio’s affordable-housing plan is in shambles. There’s traffic chaos in the streets. Sixty percent of New Yorkers say they see more homeless people around. And 48 percent of New Yorkers don’t want de Blasio to have a second term.

So what does the mayor do? He races back into the arms of the special interests who helped get him elected. That’s right — he’s re-embracing the nuts who want to ban the Central Park carriage horses.
Old 11-30-2015, 03:56 PM
Dee Tee Stables

hey, gotta have priorities.....
Old 12-01-2015, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDog View Post
2 years later...

De Blasio retreats to his "safe space:"

http://nypost.com/2015/11/29/de-blas...re-ridiculous/
What's even dumber about this is that the idea of moving the carriage horses to the park has been floated before and it's just not financially feasible. The old stables have been converted and the cost of converting them back is astronomical. I have no idea what he's thinking, other than, as it's pretty clear he was just looking at being Mayor as a stepping stone to national office, he's trying to suck up to the people who financed both his campaign and the smears against Christine Quinn. Because after he doesn't win reelection he's likely to be little more than a political footnote. #sorrynotsorry

That said, and even though I'm no fan of his, I do give his administration huge props for expanding Pre-K here in the city. And for at least attempting some pushback against the Success Boondoggle, sorry, Success Academy bs.
Old 02-04-2016, 11:48 AM
Saratoga

Union backs out....

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-ne...-idUSKCN0VD1HD
Old 02-04-2016, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by casp0555 View Post
God bless the Teamsters. Once they pulled out, the deal collapsed and the vote is now off. I'm so relieved for all the drivers and the horses.

http://gothamist.com/2016/02/04/hors...ls_through.php

Allegedly, de Blasio had the votes to pass it, so this really is a victory by the union. Good work, Local 210!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pCnEAH5wCzo