Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > The Charles Hatton Reading Room
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 10-31-2006, 02:39 PM
Arlington Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackthroatedwind
So, your defense of accusing someone of racism because, in this case, you don't know the true meaning of a word is to....what....trash me?

That makes sense and dramatically increases your credibility.

Nice try.
on second thought, F it. The last time we did this, I moved it to PM and, despite you saying you would, you never got back to me. So what's the point?
Old 10-31-2006, 02:43 PM
Arlington Park

Quote:
You are trying something. Instead of seeing at least the possibility that you misunderstood his use of the word " vulgar " you just trashed me.

You most certainly are trying something. Don't think you can post what you did and then play the injured party.

You don't like the article, or his writing, fine...but the constant unfounded accusations of racism are tiresome....at best.
Man, you are some special kind of something. My first post wasn't even a response to anything you wrote. Was it? But I suppose defending your friends vigorously without exception is an admirable quality.
Old 10-31-2006, 02:52 PM
Jerome Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by SentToStud
Man, you are some special kind of something. My first post wasn't even a response to anything you wrote. Was it? But I suppose defending your friends vigorously without exception is an admirable quality.

So, people can't respond to posts unless they are specifically directed towards them? Good to know.

As for why I didn't respond further with another PM, I ended up covering everything that seemed necessary, and didn't see that another PM was necessary. Had I known you were waiting for another I most certainly would have sent one. My apologies.
Old 10-31-2006, 02:56 PM
Keeneland

Why does everything have to turn into a racisim deal? I didn't see Beyer as using the term "vulgar" in that kind of manner.
Old 10-31-2006, 02:58 PM
Arlington Park

Quote:
So, people can't respond to posts unless they are specifically directed towards them? Good to know.

As for why I didn't respond further with another PM, I ended up covering everything that seemed necessary, and didn't see that another PM was necessary. Had I known you were waiting for another I most certainly would have sent one. My apologies.
Well, you took offense to my opinion on his article and characterized it as me trashing on you. So be it.

As for the PM, whatever... I'll do my best to have a decent evening and I hope you'll also enjoy yours. Must go on some how.

If I had Crist's and Beyer's emails handy, I'd shoot them a note. It's on my to do list for tomorrow.
Old 10-31-2006, 03:04 PM
Coach Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cajungator26
Why does everything have to turn into a racisim deal? I didn't see Beyer as using the term "vulgar" in that kind of manner.
I'm a victim too!!!

*cries*
Old 10-31-2006, 03:05 PM
Jerome Park

Quote:
Well, you took offense to my opinion on his article and characterized it as me trashing on you. So be it.

As for the PM, whatever... I'll do my best to have a decent evening and I hope you'll also enjoy yours. Must go on some how.

If I had Crist's and Beyer's emails handy, I'd shoot them a note. It's on my to do list for tomorrow.
I merely suggested that because you didn't understand the word " vulgar " in Beyer's usage of it, as did another poster may I add, that you were being unfair in making accusations of racism. It seems I am not the only one who feels that way. You are not the only one to disagree with some of Beyer's comments and the other posts were not criticized for their opinions. In your case it seemed you misinterpreted his verbeage and that was specifically what I was pointing out.

And, furthermore, you did trash ME in a following post. That's a fact. This was your response to my suggestion that you should look up the definition of the word " vulgar ".

I'm sure they are looking forward to your e-mails. I have already shared your thoughts with Beyer if that makes you feel better. I wouldn't want you to think your voice went unheard.

I to hope you enjoy your evening...and all your days and evenings as well.
Old 10-31-2006, 03:20 PM
Arlington Park

Quote:
I merely suggested that because you didn't understand the word " vulgar " in Beyer's usage of it, as did another poster may I add, that you were being unfair in making accusations of racism. It seems I am not the only one who feels that way. You are not the only one to disagree with some of Beyer's comments and the other posts were not criticized for their opinions. In your case it seemed you misinterpreted his verbeage and that was specifically what I was pointing out.

And, furthermore, you did trash ME in a following post. That's a fact. This was your response to my suggestion that you should look up the definition of the word " vulgar ".

I'm sure they are looking forward to your e-mails. I have already shared your thoughts with Beyer if that makes you feel better. I wouldn't want you to think your voice went unheard.

I to hope you enjoy your evening...and all your days and evenings as well.

I feel much better now. I did send Beyer an email at the Wash Post. I'll be certain to share with you that he has responded, when he does.

Still waiting for whch definition of vulgar you thought was appropriate to be used there. Take your time....
Old 10-31-2006, 03:22 PM
Jerome Park

Quote:
I feel much better now. I did send Beyer an email at the Wash Post. I'll be certain to share with you that he has responded, when he does.

Still waiting for whch definition of vulgar you thought was approriate to be used there. Take your time....
I gave you the definition in my first response....as did another poster.

I am also curious as to why you believe Beyer should or will respond to your e-mail. Is he, or any writer, under some sort of obligation?
Old 10-31-2006, 03:23 PM
Bold Reasoning

I agree with much of what Andrew Beyer is saying, but I think he is stereotyping the United Arab Emirates. I saw a newsmagazine piece on ABC, NBC, or CBS(I cannot remember which) which made Dubai look like a farcry from Iraq, Iran, and Syria. The report spoke about everyone having a free education and healthcare, among other things. It seemed like a benevolent monarchy. I am not suggesting it is like living in a democracy, but it sure seemed a longway from the hellholes of the Middle East. So is Mr. Beyer being totally fair? Does he wish to paint a picture of the Maktoums that is negative, beyond the fact of them controlling our racing industry?
Old 10-31-2006, 03:26 PM
Arlington Park

Default by the way... my email to Andrew Beyer...

Mr. Beyer,
I read your article regarding Darley, "Call it Checkbook Horsemanship," with interest. While I found the article interesting, I am disappointed in your use of the word "vulgar" to describe the appearance of the actions of the Maktoums. While I believe there is arguably some merit in providing background on the source of the Maktoum wealth, I, as I expect did many readers, took exception and offense to your choice of words.

Sincerely,
Bruce ********
Plantation, Florida
954-***-****
Old 10-31-2006, 03:28 PM
Cunningham Racing

An Andy Beyer post that is negative in nature....thats a new one
Old 10-31-2006, 03:32 PM
Keeneland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pillow Pants
I'm a victim too!!!

*cries*
LMFAO!!!
Old 10-31-2006, 03:33 PM
Jerome Park

Any columnist that is not illiciting strong responses, either or both positive and negative, is not doing his or her job.
Old 10-31-2006, 03:33 PM
Arlington Park

Quote:
I gave you the definition in my first response....as did another poster.

I am also curious as to why you believe Beyer should or will respond to your e-mail. Is he, or any writer, under some sort of obligation?
Of course he is not obligated to either read or respond. Nor would I expect he would.

Don't see your offering as the "use of the word" listed nor is it one of the listed synonyms...

from Dictionary.com:

vul‧gar  /ˈvʌlgər/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[vuhl-ger] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation

–adjective 1. characterized by ignorance of or lack of good breeding or taste: vulgar ostentation.
2. indecent; obscene; lewd: a vulgar work; a vulgar gesture.
3. crude; coarse; unrefined: a vulgar peasant.
4. of, pertaining to, or constituting the ordinary people in a society: the vulgar masses.
5. current; popular; common: a vulgar success; vulgar beliefs.
6. spoken by, or being in the language spoken by, the people generally; vernacular: vulgar tongue.
7. lacking in distinction, aesthetic value, or charm; banal; ordinary: a vulgar painting.
–noun 8. Archaic. the common people.
9. Obsolete. the vernacular.

—Synonyms 1. unrefined, inelegant, low, coarse, ribald. See common. 3. boorish, rude. 6. colloquial.
Old 10-31-2006, 03:37 PM
Jerome Park

From the American Heritage Dictionary...

Ostentatious in appearance or quality; pretentious.

Example in the disctionary....." a vulgar display of wealth ".

Just to be clearer....

Ostentatious....

Pretentious display meant to impress others; boastful showiness

Just to be clear...I assume you realize words can and often do have several meanings.
Old 10-31-2006, 03:38 PM
Keeneland

Quote:

Just to be clearer....

Ostentatious....

Just to be clear...I assume you realize words can and often do have several meanings.
Dammit, this is a VULGAR post! J/K
Old 10-31-2006, 03:46 PM
Arlington Park

Quote:

Just to be clearer....

Ostentatious....

Just how far down the list is this use of the word?

What are those listed above/before it?

Tell you what, go ask the next 10 people you talk to what they think "Vulgar" means." If any of them come up with that, I'll .....

Holding my breath, Phone ringing!!!. "Bruce, it's Mr. Beyer on line 5."
Old 10-31-2006, 03:53 PM
The Curragh

the question begs to be asked so I will ask it with clarification off the bat - I am not inciting an ongoing "fight" nor suggesting what ones views are based on their posts on here, this is the internet after all. with that said..............

would this be an issue if the family was born in the Good Ole' USA?

Their money is as good as anyone else's, it'll spend at Wendy's and it will buy horses.
Old 10-31-2006, 03:55 PM
Keeneland

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2MinsToPost
the question begs to be asked so I will ask it with clarification off the bat - I am not inciting an ongoing "fight" nor suggesting what ones views are based on their posts on here, this is the internet after all. with that said..............

would this be an issue if the family was born in the Good Ole' USA?

Their money is as good as anyone else's, it'll spend at Wendy's and it will buy horses.
If I bought horses in the manner that the Sheik's do, it would be considered a vulgar display just as much... JMO. They are free to do whatever they like and I have nothing against them for it... that's just how it is.