Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > The Charles Hatton Reading Room
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 10-30-2006, 09:37 PM
Jerome Park

Default Beyer Checks In on Godolphin

http://www.drf.com/news/article/80086.html
Old 10-30-2006, 10:16 PM
Flemington

"Certainly, Bernardini has generated little attention, despite his brilliance as a racehorse."-Beyer

Are you kid'n me? Even the women that post here have practically grown tools to whack off with while watching him run.
Old 10-30-2006, 10:20 PM
Jerome Park

Yes but this is a Horse Racing Message Board. Of course we all know about Bernardini. Bernardini is not a household name outside of racing by any stretch of the imagination. EVERYONE knew Funny Cide and Smarty Jones. You have no idea how many people I know in NY that have no interest in racing that were asking me about them. Now, to be fair they were TC aspirants, but even people knew about Lost in the Fog. Now, sure, Bernardini's Preakness win was WAY overshadowed by Barbaro's injury, but it also masked that there was no human interest story involving Bernardini.

I think it would be fair to say that Beyer is acutely aware of how much human interest stories fuel racing.
Old 10-30-2006, 10:27 PM
Jerome Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaHoss9698
Oops, I was typing that about Smarty and Funny Cide as you were posting it. Great minds I guess....

Mediocre minds?
Old 10-30-2006, 10:33 PM
Atlantic City Race Course

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackthroatedwind
Yes but this is a Horse Racing Message Board. Of course we all know about Bernardini. Bernardini is not a household name outside of racing by any stretch of the imagination. EVERYONE knew Funny Cide and Smarty Jones. You have no idea how many people I know in NY that have no interest in racing that were asking me about them. Now, to be fair they were TC aspirants, but even people knew about Lost in the Fog. Now, sure, Bernardini's Preakness win was WAY overshadowed by Barbaro's injury, but it also masked that there was no human interest story involving Bernardini.

I think it would be fair to say that Beyer is acutely aware of how much human interest stories fuel racing.
Exactly what I was going to say. I've been at a loss to understand why people think that Bernardini is so good for racing. The only people that know him are the people already involved in the game.

I agree with just about all of the article except for the part where it says their strategy doesn't work for the Derby. Granted, they haven't won the race yet but I feel it's more because they haven't had horses good enough try it yet. I haven't thought a single runner they've sent over has been a legit contender and it had nothing to do with where he was trained. Besides that, the Derby is just simply not an easy race to win. Look how long it took for Wayne Lukas to finally win it. A guy like Frankel has never won it. I personally think that it's silly to say that a certain strategy doesn't work because it hasn't happened yet. They say the same thing about Pletcher and that he can't win the big one. It takes time. Soon enough, the right horse will come along (for both of them) and it will happen. I think it's best to say that it hasn't worked YET. Like I said, look at Lukas. It took a while to get the door opened but once he did, he blew it off.
Manila, Java Gold, Alysheba, Sunday Silence, Go for Wand, In Excess, Paseana, Kotashaan, Holy Bull, Cigar, Alphabet Soup, Formal Gold, Skip Away, Artax, Tiznow, Point Given, Azeri, Candy Ride, Smarty Jones, Ghostzapper, Invasor, Curlin, Zenyatta, Zenyatta, Goldikova, Havre de Grace, Wise Dan, Wise Dan, California Chrome, American Pharoah, Arrogate, Gun Runner, Accelerate, Maximum Security, Gamine
Old 10-30-2006, 10:33 PM
eurobounce

This just goes to show that the Kentucky Derby is all that matters to people who are not horse racing fans. They prob have heard of Barbaro and that he got hurt or something like that, but if you were to ask them about Jazil and Bernardini and which TC race they won I bet 50% wouldnt get it right.
Old 10-30-2006, 10:37 PM
Jerome Park

Default King Glorious

True enough, but their Derby results have been horrendous so far, and that does not JUST include those that have run. They have paid enormous sums for many horses over the years, and not only have those that tried it done poorly, but many never even got close to making it.

In the cases of Frankel and Pletcher that you brought up, each has had some success, Invisible Ink and Bluegrass Cat were second for Todd, and Empire Maker and Peace Rules ran two-three for Frankel. Plus, Frankel has never been a trainer focused on TC races. The Sheiks have been at least trying to be effective in the Derby for quite some time.
Old 10-30-2006, 10:37 PM
Flemington

Quote:
I think he meant outside of horse racing fans. You know anyone that isn't a fan of racing that knows Bernie, because I don't. But people know Funny Cide and Smarty Jones. I personally think this article is dead on. I was also unaware that Darley really didn't breed Bernie. Rather they bought Cara Rafaela in foal.
Trainers,and breeders are whores(with regard to this.) You could be scum of the Earth,a dictator,or whatever,and Frankel would train for you.Arabs could be cutting Jews heads off(and using them for bowling balls,)and he would still train for them. These Sheiks have been rippin' their people off forever,and nobody in the horseracing industry has cared before.I Don't think they will start to care now.Is Andy saying that the imdustry will start to care if they start winning our Triple Crown races? I don't think so.The industry just cares about getting money,and they don't care where those people got it from...."Can you get an owners license"-that's all they care about.
Old 10-30-2006, 10:39 PM
Sha Tin

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCUDSBROTHER
Trainers,and breeders are whores(with regard to this.) You could be scum of the Earth,a dictator,or whatever,and Frankel would train for you.Arabs could be cutting Jews heads off(and using them for bowling balls,)and he would still train for them. These Sheiks have been rippin' their people off forever,and nobody in the horseracing industry has cared before.I Don't think they will start to care now.Is Andy saying that the imdustry will start to care if they start winning our Triple Crown races? I don't think so.The industry just cares about getting money,and they don't care where those people got it from...."Can you get an owners license"-that's all they care about.
As crude as the language is, astonishingly enough, you are pretty much dead on.
Old 10-30-2006, 10:51 PM
Coach Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCUDSBROTHER
I like the cut of your jib, sir.
Old 10-30-2006, 11:15 PM
Flemington

Quote:
Yeah I hear what you are saying, and I agree with some of it, but I don't think that's what Beyer is saying. IMO he is just saying that what Godolphin is now doing is detrimental to the industry from a fans perspective. Of course the breeders like the sheiks, they are lining their pockets. But the fans like a story, and there isn't much story about a horse that was one of many purchased for a crazy sum, that runs a handful of times a year. Certainly they aren't the only ones guilty of this, just the most seen.
Yes,and I can't understand where he gets off complaining about it now.Seems like people here weren't upset about these Sheiks using the Country's oil money to buy horses.That.. they didn't complain about.They are complaining about them winning our big races.If Andy really cared about these Sheiks rippin' their country's people off,then it would seem the article should be about the prices paid at auction.People didn't seem too up in arms when these sheiks spent the money,but when the horses they spent the money on do well,that's when people start getting upset.LOL..Did he expect them to keep failing after buying up all the best bred horses,and the fastest prospects they could find?
Old 10-30-2006, 11:22 PM
Jerome Park

The story is timely with the BC coming this weekend and Godolphin holding a very strong hand for the races. That is why it is a story of specific interest right now.
Old 10-30-2006, 11:29 PM
Jerome Park

I assume it is. It was my understanding it was in tomorrow's Washington Post.
Old 10-30-2006, 11:31 PM
point given

Default Poor Jenny

I certainly have missed the yearly Jenny Craig runners since those nasty sheiks bought up everything with 4 legs ! For heavens sake I've gone off my diet and put on 20 pounds
Old 10-30-2006, 11:42 PM
Flemington

Quote:
Originally Posted by point given
I certainly have missed the yearly Jenny Craig runners since those nasty sheiks bought up everything with 4 legs ! For heavens sake I've gone off my diet and put on 20 pounds
Jenny Craig is using her money to constantly advertise on TVG.Each time that Cow Kirstie Alley comes on it's like acid coming out of the T.V....Oh,big mouth lost 75 lbs??..Well,don't stop short honey.Try 25 more.

Last edited by SCUDSBROTHER : 10-31-2006 at 04:55 AM.
Old 10-30-2006, 11:51 PM
Flemington

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cardus
Do I hear 50?
I really thought she would be done after losing 75lbs......I was wrong.
Old 10-31-2006, 12:04 AM
Flemington

I agree with what Andy is saying in the article,but it is incredibly late to start complaining about the Sheiks' involvement in American Racing.It is like the father of the bride objecting to the groom on the day of the wedding.The groom has B.O.,and the father knew that for months,but he only objected to the wedding when he himself had to smell it for a couple hours.
Old 10-31-2006, 01:11 AM
Monmouth Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackthroatedwind

lol,
its sad but true.

earlier in the year during Saratoga, I would mention to my friends that they should check out ESPN on Saturday afternoon b/c a memorable horse named Bernardini would be running.
Told them we would look back 15 years from now and talk about how we saw him run.
they would respond with something like,
"could he beat Funny Cide or Smarty Jones?"

LMAO,
the casual sports fan just will never get it.

Repent
Old 10-31-2006, 01:15 AM
Santa Anita

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dixie Porter
Can't figure out why they don't buy Lava Man. My guess is that with all the play money they throw around the real talent concerning this game really isn't there. If you buy "everything" sooner or later you're gonna nail some good ones.
I can give you two reasons that Lava Man is missing as to why they don't buy him---if you get my drift. (i.e. the Bob Barker treatment). If it was solely about buying the talent on the track they've have bought up all sorts of horses they didn't. Notice Lawyer Ron, Afleet Alex, and the like didn't go to the sheikhs. They didn't want to try to stand them. I heard they snubbed Smarty Jones because they figured his sire was good enough for them and they didn't need sonny boy.

They want stallions to stand and broodmares to send to those stallions if possible. They're paying for the stallion in advance of his track performance really and if they make several million surely paying $1.4 mil or $5 mil is chump change. I was trying to think of a prominent gelding they've bought...has there been one? I'm honestly drawing a blank. Not one they've gelded later per se but did they even do that with a horse they'd bought as a colt?

Last edited by Merlinsky : 10-31-2006 at 01:17 AM.
Old 10-31-2006, 01:30 AM
Monmouth Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merlinsky
I can give you two reasons that Lava Man is missing as to why they don't buy him---if you get my drift. (i.e. the Bob Barker treatment). If it was solely about buying the talent on the track they've have bought up all sorts of horses they didn't. Notice Lawyer Ron, Afleet Alex, and the like didn't go to the sheikhs. They didn't want to try to stand them. I heard they snubbed Smarty Jones because they figured his sire was good enough for them and they didn't need sonny boy.

They want stallions to stand and broodmares to send to those stallions if possible. They're paying for the stallion in advance of his track performance really and if they make several million surely paying $1.4 mil or $5 mil is chump change. I was trying to think of a prominent gelding they've bought...has there been one? I'm honestly drawing a blank. Not one they've gelded later per se but did they even do that with a horse they'd bought as a colt?

Ashkal Way is the most notable current gelding they have running.
I dont know when he was gelded.
I was thinking Afrashad was a gelding but Im not sure on that.
i know Lateen Sails was a gelding. I assume he is still running.

Repent