Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > The Charles Hatton Reading Room
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 10-03-2006, 09:09 PM
pgardn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Betsy
I read your post, but we're talking about different things. I think Bernardini has a beautiful, effortless motion, but if he looks different when hooked, it will hardly change my opinion of him. I don't love him just because of his mechanics. In any case, Bernardini can't win for losing. If he beats horses easily, even a top field in the Classic, it won't prove anything because he was too good? In order to prove himself, it would be better if he were less talented?
NO. I hope the horse is challenged and then guts it out, holding form down the stretch at 1/2 f to go head to head and then pulling away. At least I used to until I read the nonsense.

And much of the love for the horse is the breeding, not the running. And that imo, ruins the sport. Puts him in the shed depriving me of seeing yet another great horse continue to run. I like to watch horses run. I personally dont give a rats .... what their babies are like.

I like the horses as individuals, not some sort of pedigree dog show animals with fat ladies trotting them about because they look so well. A little hand clap, splendid...

Thats not racing. Racing is for athletes. The horses are great athletes.
Old 10-03-2006, 09:12 PM
Churchill Downs

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgardn
NO. I hope the horse is challenged and then guts it out, holding form down the stretch at 1/2 f to go head to head and then pulling away. At least I used to until I read the nonsense.

And much of the love for the horse is the breeding, not the running. And that imo, ruins the sport. Puts him in the shed depriving me of seeing yet another great horse continue to run. I like to watch horses run. I personally dont give a rats .... what their babies are like.

I like the horses as individuals, not some sort of pedigree dog show animals with fat ladies trotting them about because they look so well. A little hand clap, splendid...

I love Bernardini for his talent and his performances on the track. I don't care one bit what his breeding is...
Old 10-03-2006, 09:17 PM
Cunningham Racing

Quote:
If we had a car dressed as a horse that challenged Secretariat the whole way in the Belmont,
I'm sorry to have to bash a comment, but this is borderline ridiculous...horses don't get hooked the entire way around - especially horses that don't have to have the lead...he will settle off the pace and make his 1/2 mile to 3/8 mile run and if he gets hooked during that time period I guarantee you his competition won't be able to match strides with him late...

Not a good anology, man....
Old 10-03-2006, 09:28 PM
Randwyck

Quote:

I can't argue with anyone wanting to see a horse put forth a gutty effort and prevail -I wouldn't mind seeing it myself from Bernardini (if for nothing else, to prove to others he's got a lot going for him besides pure talent). However, wouldn't you agree that a horse could show heart in other ways? The Classic will be by far the biggest field Bernardini has ever faced and we can presume he won't necessarily have the smoothest of trips. His tractability and quick turn of foot will allow him to avoid a lot of trouble, however. He's supposed to win that race if he's as good as advertised (and I believe he is), but wouldn't winning that race in and of itself be sufficient proof for his doubters (even if he doesn't have a ding dong battle down the stretch)?

I am just as frustrated as you that the racing game is now all about the breeding. I enjoy the breeding game very much, but seeing 3 year olds swooped off the track to the shed because owners are fearful of injury is very frustrating. They are in the wrong sport if they are so afraid. With great risk (running a top horse, who then may get injured), comes great reward (wonderful accomplishments on the track, championships, glory). Isn't that what sports is about? I honestly think the Sheikh is a true sportsman and wants to see his homebred colt continue to do him proud. If he decides that he has to have a Bernardini foal ASAP and retires him, I will be devastated. The Sheikh will take a hit if he doesn't run a potentially great horse next year..........
Old 10-03-2006, 09:30 PM
pgardn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cunningham Racing
I'm sorry to have to bash a comment, but this is borderline ridiculous...horses don't get hooked the entire way around - especially horses that don't have to have the lead...he will settle off the pace and make his 1/2 mile to 3/8 mile run and if he gets hooked during that time period I guarantee you his competition won't be able to match strides with him late...

Its not an anology. It is merely and example. Maybe poor so I will make it clearer.

Then have a fresh horse hook Secretariat as he rounds the turn. He would not have the same time.
Like I used to do with 3 other guys when we were trying to run a training Olympic long distance runner since none of us could keep up with him after 800 meters. We took turns jumping in and pushing him hard like he would experience on the track during his 5000 m and 10K. We could not stay with him individually.

This is what I am saying. Horses run much easier when not challenged. Thats why there is always a question mark next to a horse that breaks maiden 1st time out with a fantastic time and wins by open lengths. Is that too ridiculous? Take that a bit further and I think you understand what I am saying. Maybe give Bernardini a horrible start, get him caught down on the rail, and then blow them away late... then I am hooked. FACE a little adversity... champions face adversity and come through. Why is that so hard to understand...
Old 10-07-2006, 05:41 PM
Santa Anita

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cunningham Racing

Two words, Smarty Jones. The two biggest horses in the race took it to him, missed out themselves, and wore him out enough to succumb to his breeding at the end. He could've pulled it out with the right type of run. Not a true mile and a halfer but he could've pulled it out on sheer class. Unfortunately he got hooked so much the weaknesses in his armor became clearer.

In Bernardini's case he's not had the opportunity to show gameness and heart. His talent's been enough to crush them like bugs thus far. He hasn't needed anything else and I wanna see him show his stuff for my own personal enjoyment as a fan of the sport. Even more so I want to see sportsmanship and the entry of Discreet Cat. You can avoid your own horses all year but the Classic is where you outta take the hit. Hey the Jacksons put their two undefeated horses in the Derby. That's what it's all about.

Last edited by Merlinsky : 10-07-2006 at 05:43 PM.