Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > The Charles Hatton Reading Room
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 09-11-2006, 10:11 PM
Jerome Park

Scat Daddy is talented. My problem is that over the past horses from that barn have not gone on so I am skeptical about any of them. Clearly Circular Quay and Scat Daddy are talented but I will take a wait and see approach. Too many of Pletcher's horses disappear as quickly as they appear.

Don't get me wrong, the guy is a terrific trainer, who runs a superior operation, but with the " win-early " focus unfortunately we have seen too much burnout. That is somewhat why Circular Quay intrigues me, as his running style doesn't fit their normal profile, but so far none of the early flashes from that barn ( at least as far as colts are concerned because Ashado was around forever ) have really panned out. But, they get too many well bred and talented horses to not eventually have some major TC contendors.

And I don't mean ridiculously overhyped bums like Bandini.
Old 09-11-2006, 11:36 PM
Newmarket

Thumbs up

this is the type of thread content i doubt if you could ever find anywhere else. with all the new people coming over right now it surely sets a good example of what to expect. very interesting analysis.

good job all, especially BTW, Cunningham, and GPK.
Old 09-12-2006, 01:42 AM
Del Mar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dixie Porter
I assume you already know I have no particular love for any horse, or am I a fan of any horse. That being said, if this horse was to get cast in his stall this morning and never run again that would still rank high as one of the dumbest remarks I have ever seen posted.
Is he talking about Bandini or Bernardini? I assume he is talking about Bandini. Bandini actually had a lot of potential but he had some physical problems and never lived up to his full potential. Even in the big 3 year old races in Florida last year, I don't think you were seeing Bandini's best races. I think they were already having problems with his ankle. They managed to get a one more good race out of him in the Bluegrass but he was done after that. One of my trainers saw him being lead over to the paddock for the Ky Derby and he told me that one of his ankles was huge. The connections tried to act like he hurt his ankle in the Derby but he had the bad ankle before the Derby.

By the way, Bandini is already retired so you don't have to worry about him getting cast in his stall and retiring.

Last edited by Rupert Pupkin : 09-12-2006 at 01:44 AM.
Old 09-12-2006, 06:43 AM
Flemington

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackthroatedwind
And I don't mean ridiculously overhyped bums like Bandini.
Can I use this as my new tagline?! I totally agree.

What was your opinion on Kauai Calls, who came out of Blasi's stable?
Old 09-12-2006, 07:53 AM
Oaklawn

Quote:
It's hard for me to keep track of all the maiden breakers of Zito's from Saratoga, but it seems to me that Autobahn Girl, who is still a maiden, might prove to be the best. I liked her second to Imperial Reign who also may be very good.

I like Imperial Reign a lot too.. Very impressed with that one so far.
Old 09-12-2006, 09:09 AM
Jerome Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sightseek
Can I use this as my new tagline?! I totally agree.

What was your opinion on Kauai Calls, who came out of Blasi's stable?
I'm on the fence. I thought it was interesting how she was ridden in her debut in that she was pushed along very hard the whole way and really didn't seem to have any speed. I was surprised she showed so much speed when she won the depleted allowance in her next start though perhaps she was forced due to the inside post. Still, she outran a pretty fast Mott horse and the Jerkens runner ( prior to that one breaking down ). However, I will be curious to see if she is rated as they stretch out in probably her next start.

In other words....I don't know what to make of her. She's certainly done nothing wrong and does seem to have a lot of maturing to do. She probably has as much potential as just about anyone right now.
Old 09-12-2006, 09:17 AM
"The Kentucky Killing Machine"

panty raid is going to a nice filly after the ankle problem sorts out..
Old 09-12-2006, 09:20 AM
Flemington

Quote:
I'm on the fence. I thought it was interesting how she was ridden in her debut in that she was pushed along very hard the whole way and really didn't seem to have any speed. I was surprised she showed so much speed when she won the depleted allowance in her next start though perhaps she was forced due to the inside post. Still, she outran a pretty fast Mott horse and the Jerkens runner ( prior to that one breaking down ). However, I will be curious to see if she is rated as they stretch out in probably her next start.

In other words....I don't know what to make of her. She's certainly done nothing wrong and does seem to have a lot of maturing to do. She probably has as much potential as just about anyone right now.
Thanks! Hopefully some more interesting horses spring out of this two year old crop, not overly impressed so far.
Old 09-12-2006, 09:29 AM
Jerome Park

Horses that impress us in August usually don't pan out. More than often they are either precocious or rushed too early. Of course, it seems trainers wait so long to start firsters, with so much emphasis on the BC, that one little setback seems to end their year.

On the other hand, has anyone discussed Tagg's firster, Nobiz like Shobiz, who won his debut ( albeit with a perfect trip ) at a mile on Saturday at Belmont and earned a Beyer number of 94? I saw he's going straight to the Champagne ( and then, weather permitting, if everything goes right, I expect Tagg to point him to the Cheltingham meet ).
Old 09-12-2006, 09:40 AM
Flemington

Quote:
Horses that impress us in August usually don't pan out. More than often they are either precocious or rushed too early. Of course, it seems trainers wait so long to start firsters, with so much emphasis on the BC, that one little setback seems to end their year.

On the other hand, has anyone discussed Tagg's firster, Nobiz like Shobiz, who won his debut ( albeit with a perfect trip ) at a mile on Saturday at Belmont and earned a Beyer number of 94? I saw he's going straight to the Champagne ( and then, weather permitting, if everything goes right, I expect Tagg to point him to the Cheltingham meet ).
I think that is what impresses me most about Henny Hughes, excellent 2 year old, lasted through the BC Juvie and being flown all around the world (lord only knows why he was, winters in Florida are lovely) and is still impressing.

Was super surprised by Nobiz...it made me forget about having Vanquisher in my picks.
Old 09-12-2006, 10:02 AM
Del Mar

Isnt "Nobiz like Shobiz" a recyled name from a horse who ran appx 7-8 years ago?
Old 09-12-2006, 12:51 PM
Cunningham Racing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rupert Pupkin
Is he talking about Bandini or Bernardini? I assume he is talking about Bandini. Bandini actually had a lot of potential but he had some physical problems and never lived up to his full potential. Even in the big 3 year old races in Florida last year, I don't think you were seeing Bandini's best races. I think they were already having problems with his ankle. They managed to get a one more good race out of him in the Bluegrass but he was done after that. One of my trainers saw him being lead over to the paddock for the Ky Derby and he told me that one of his ankles was huge. The connections tried to act like he hurt his ankle in the Derby but he had the bad ankle before the Derby.

By the way, Bandini is already retired so you don't have to worry about him getting cast in his stall and retiring.
He meant Bandini because he was talking about Pletcher's horses relavent to the Tripel Crown....
Old 09-12-2006, 01:01 PM
Cunningham Racing

Quote:

They obviously like her and she is an intriguing filly for stretching out....her dam was a graded stakes winner going two-turns and ran in the Kentucky Oaks a few years ago, so you believe she'd at least get a mile....Also, her second dam is by Alleged, which reaffirms that thought....FuPeg is usually sprinter/miler but he has been versatile to the mare's offerings and this filly should get two-turns...she alos has the look and style that would givce you that impression.....not sure HOW far she'll go around two turns, but she should not balk at the BC Juvy Fillies distance of 1 1/16 miles if they get her there....Asmussen has never given $2 million for a horse at auction IN HIS LIFE with all the horses he's bought and trained - so it should be clear that he thought he was replacing Summerly in the regard of attempting to find another Oaks contender...

Boy, the FuPeg/Meadowlake mare cross is pretty darn solid, as it also produced top 2YO Pegasus Wind from the Lukas barn....
Old 09-12-2006, 01:07 PM
Cunningham Racing

Quote:

With that being said, a 2YO filly has grabeb this division rather decisively early on and gone on to dominate in the BC Juvenile Fillies - asserting her superiority over the other juvenile fillies in her crop - the last few years with Storm Flag Flying, Halfbridled, Sweet Catomine and Folklore all being rather dominant....

There will be a change in that pattern this year - or at least it has that feeling, as Baffert's filly is the #1 seed at the moment but looks far from dominant.....
Old 09-12-2006, 01:09 PM
Jerome Park

I can't speak of the California horses you mentioned, but at this point in the year Storm Flag Flying was a maiden breaker and Folklore was coming off a mediocre second to Adieu in the Spinaway.

It's early.
Old 09-14-2006, 08:17 PM
5'8".. but all man!

from DRF.com

Debbie Got Even likely to Alcibiades

Trainer Nick Zito opted to get more seasoning into his promising 2-year-old filly Debbie Got Even, shipping her Monday to Delaware Park, where she won a first-level allowance race by three-quarters of a length over a loose-on-the-lead Akronism.

Zito said Tim Samms, the racing manager for owners Tomisue Hilbert and John Menard, thought Debbie Got Even would benefit from more seasoning rather than being sent directly into a stakes race.

Now, off the allowance win, Debbie Got Even will most likely make her stakes debut in the $400,000 Alcibiades on Oct. 6.

"I think she might be a really special filly," Zito said. "If she does okay in the Alcibiades, we'll go onto the Breeders' Cup."

* Extreme Supreme, a promising 3-year-old son of Deputy Minister, makes his first start against winners in Saturday's sixth race. On July 28 at Saratoga, Extreme Supreme won a maiden race by seven lengths over two next-out winners. The field for the one-mile race includes On Board Again, Oh So Awesome, Superfly, and Touchdown Kid.
Old 09-15-2006, 05:53 PM
Dee Tee Stables

i DO like this fillies name.....debbie got even. oh YEAH.