Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > The Charles Hatton Reading Room
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-11-2006, 07:17 PM
5'8".. but all man!

Default Oracle/Rupert...Debbie Got Even

Did either of you (or anyone else) see the 7th at Delaware today??

Zitos Stephen Got Even filly out of Lady Esther - Seeking the Gold.

Broke her maiden at Toga at first asking and then passed through her N1X today in her first try as well. Raced 3 wide today.very slow fractions (:25.3 :49.4 1:14.1 1:40.0)

Final time for the mile was slow, but that track never plays real quick anyways, but she was VERY PROFESSIONAL looking, IMO, coming down the lane. Nothing green about her whatsoever...was straight as an arrow.

Would love to hear someone elses thoughts that knows more than I do.
Old 09-11-2006, 07:54 PM
Jerome Park

I didn't see today's race but I was impressed with her debut. The fig wasn't very good but she was visually impressive. She stumbled pretty badly from the inside post at the start but Leparoux gave her a flawless ride thereafter.
Old 09-11-2006, 08:06 PM
5'8".. but all man!

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackthroatedwind
I didn't see today's race but I was impressed with her debut. The fig wasn't very good but she was visually impressive. She stumbled pretty badly from the inside post at the start but Leparoux gave her a flawless ride thereafter.

Andy....not sure what kind of fig she will receive for todays run. Tim Ritchey's horse, AKRONISM, cut the fractions today and Stew Elliott really slowed them down as you can see. Debbie Got Even just ran her down very professionally. Akronism looked very green coming down the lane while the winner looked like she was on a string. Rose didn't seem to be doing alot of work on her either. I suspect she could have won by more, but he did just enough to get the win.
Old 09-11-2006, 08:08 PM
Cunningham Racing

Quote:
She beat a nice filly too in breaking her maiden....the Tale of the Cat filly of Mary Lou Whitneys is a nice filly and had experience and position on her and she still ran her down...I was impressed visually too, blacktw.....

She is a nice filly...were did she run and in what? I meant to put her in the stable mail and never did.....
Old 09-11-2006, 08:09 PM
5'8".. but all man!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cunningham Racing
She beat a nice filly too in breaking her maiden....the Tale of the Cat filly of Mary Lou Whitneys is a nice filly and had experience and position on her and she still ran her down...I was impressed visually too, blacktw.....

She is a nice filly...were did she run and in what? I meant to put her in the stable mail and never did.....

Joel...she won a N1X today in at Delaware in the 7th.
Old 09-11-2006, 08:18 PM
Cunningham Racing

Quote:
Originally Posted by GPK
Joel...she won a N1X today in at Delaware in the 7th.
Cool!..I'll check the chart...she has the pedigree to go long, which is the real intrigue with her...wonder if Nick will think BC Juv. Fillies with her...realistically, aside from Baffert's Point Given filly, I haven't seen anything great for that race who you know will relish two turns and a route of ground....I guess Cotton Blossom should also relish 1 1/16 miles but I wonder how truly talented she is....very intriguing division..
Old 09-11-2006, 08:22 PM
5'8".. but all man!

Quote:
Cool!..I'll check the chart...she has the pedigree to go long, which is the real intrigue with her...wonder if Nick will think BC Juv. Fillies with her...realistically, aside from Baffert's Point Given filly, I haven't seen anything great for that race who you know will relish two turns and a route of ground....I guess Cotton Blossom should also relish 1 1/16 miles but I wonder how truly talented she is....very intriguing division..

Point Ashley is gonna simply love more distance.
Old 09-11-2006, 08:26 PM
Jerome Park

Not sure how anyone could be considering Cotton Blossom for any real race after her abyssmal performance in the Spinaway.

I don't want to get into personal discussions I may have had with trainers, and obviously I'm pretty close to Nick, but who wouldn't at least be thinking BC. I will say that he has been high on this filly since well before her debut. I'm certainly rooting for her.
Old 09-11-2006, 08:33 PM
Jerome Park

Not to me. I thought she looked uncomfortable the whole way and was strictly a distant suck-up second. I may be proven wrong but I think Cotton Blossom is a flat out bum.
Old 09-11-2006, 08:40 PM
Cunningham Racing

I'm impressed just my evaluating the PPs and then looking at the charts and seeing that she ran down a filly who was on an easy and crawling early pace of almost a 50-second half-mile.....plus, it was that fillies home track and she ran honestly fast in her debut (Ritchey's filly)....

I noticed the race was two-turns too, which is perfect.....Nick obviously wanted to try and get her an easy route test and is probably timing her for October 6th Alcibaides at Keeneland - where her devoid speed shouldn't be at a disadvantage there now with Polytrack...he'll get to keep her around two-turns in this 1 1/16-mile race and it is a perect 3 1/2 weeks till the race and another month to the BC Juvy fillies - so it appears to be the perfect sport for her..

He could also opt for the Frizette the following week at Belmont - but I really cannot see him turing her back to one-turn and hooking the effective sprinters such as Magical Ride and Octave....

I would bet a bundle she surfaces at KEE, and I bet we get a bit of a price on her due to the fact she is not a stakes filly yet, hasn't been flashy in her races, and exits a DEL allowance....she may be one helluva play at 5-1 or better...we'll see....
Old 09-11-2006, 08:40 PM
Jerome Park

The Spinaway winner definitely benefited from ending up lone speed, as you pointed out, which I suppose hampered the others. It just seemed like nobody did anything even remotely effectual behind her. I agree the winner does look like she may be distance challenged and also is vulnerable if confronted on the front end.

I am looking forward to seeing some of the maiden breakers as they seem like the likeliest horses moving forward. Panty Raid is supposed to go in the Matron ( I don't like that she missed the Spinaway with a small " problem " ), as of course is Magical Ride, and I also like the fillies that finished first and second the final Sunday, Imperial Reign and Autobahn Girl.
Old 09-11-2006, 08:41 PM
Cunningham Racing

Quote:
Not sure how anyone could be considering Cotton Blossom for any real race after her abyssmal performance in the Spinaway.

I don't want to get into personal discussions I may have had with trainers, and obviously I'm pretty close to Nick, but who wouldn't at least be thinking BC. I will say that he has been high on this filly since well before her debut. I'm certainly rooting for her.
Shes not bred to sprint...she'll be alright when she stretches out....check the pedigree....
Old 09-11-2006, 08:43 PM
5'8".. but all man!

Quote:
I'm impressed just my evaluating the PPs and then looking at the charts and seeing that she ran down a filly who was on an easy and crawling early pace of almost a 50-second half-mile.....plus, it was that fillies home track and she ran honestly fast in her debut (Ritchey's filly)....

I noticed the race was two-turns too, which is perfect.....Nick obviously wanted to try and get her an easy route test and is probably timing her for October 6th Alcibaides at Keeneland - where her devoid speed shouldn't be at a disadvantage there now with Polytrack...he'll get to keep her around two-turns in this 1 1/16-mile race and it is a perect 3 1/2 weeks till the race and another month to the BC Juvy fillies - so it appears to be the perfect sport for her..

He could also opt for the Frizette the following week at Belmont - but I really cannot see him turing her back to one-turn and hooking the effective sprinters such as Magical Ride and Octave....

I would bet a bundle she surfaces at KEE, and I bet we get a bit of a price on her due to the fact she is not a stakes filly yet, hasn't been flashy in her races, and exits a DEL allowance....she may be one helluva play at 5-1 or better...we'll see....

Joel, if you can watch the race on replay, you will be more impressed.
Old 09-11-2006, 08:43 PM
Jerome Park

Quote:
Shes not bred to sprint...she'll be alright when she stretches out....check the pedigree....
Are you referring to Cotton Blossom?

I don't care what her breeding is...she's not much. Good luck to her down the road. I expect a mediocre third in the Tampa Bay Oaks if she lasts that long.
Old 09-11-2006, 08:45 PM
Cunningham Racing

Quote:

I know your a huge Commentator fan so I gotta ask you what the horse is doing and what he is pointing towards.....Did he exit the race okay? I know he stumbled coming out, but was that his only excuse as to why he backed up? I hope he is okay because i know he isn't the soundest little rascal....

I could see where he might have bled some because that happens alot when horses brake poor and incur high stress, especially if he slammed himself...

I hope he isn't one of those types of horses that has to have it his own way to be effective because I like the little horse...
Old 09-11-2006, 08:46 PM
Del Mar

I didn't see her race today. I remember her maiden win. She actually stumbled pretty badly that day at the break. She lost at least 3 lengths at the start that day.

I didn't have a strong opinion about her maiden win. It was impressive that she won after stumbling so bad at the start. In addition, it's hard to win going 7 furlongs first-time out. Not only that, I think she only had about 5 works going into the race. Zito probably didn't have her totally cranked up that day yet she still won. On the other hand, they weren't exactly flying home that day the final quarter. She was moving alright, nothing great, nothing terrible. It was hard for me to get a really good handle on her off that race. She's bred to run long so she may keep improving as the races get longer. I certainly wouldn't knock her. She's done nothing wrong so far. She's 2 for 2. She was coming back today on only 22 days rest today and she was running an additional 1/8th of a mile. That's not that easy to do. She had a lot of things going against her in both of her races, yet she still won them both. Her numbers may not be great but that doesn't mean that she's not a good horse.
Old 09-11-2006, 08:48 PM
5'8".. but all man!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rupert Pupkin
I didn't see her race today. I remember her maiden win. She actually stumbled pretty badly that day at the break. She lost at least 3 lengths at the start that day.

I didn't have a strong opinion about her maiden win. It was impressive that she won after stumbling so bad at the start. In addition, it's hard to win going 7 furlongs first-time out. Not only that, I think she only had about 5 works going into the race. Zito probably didn't have her totally cranked up that day yet she still won. On the other hand, they weren't exactly flying home that day the final quarter. She was moving alright, nothing great, nothing terrible. It was hard for me to get a really good handle on her off that race. She's bred to run long so she may keep improving as the races get longer. I certainly wouldn't knock her. She's done nothing wrong so far. She's 2 for 2. She was coming back today on only 22 days rest today and she was running an additional 1/8th of a mile. That's not that easy to do. She had a lot of things going against her in both of her races, yet she still won them both. Her numbers may not be great but that doesn't mean that she's not a good horse.

Hey bro...if you do get a chance to see it some how, let me know. Always like to hear your view on 2YO's
Old 09-11-2006, 08:52 PM
Jerome Park

Quote:
I know your a huge Commentator fan so I gotta ask you what the horse is doing and what he is pointing towards.....Did he exit the race okay? I know he stumbled coming out, but was that his only excuse as to why he backed up? I hope he is okay because i know he isn't the soundest little rascal....

I could see where he might have bled some because that happens alot when horses brake poor and incur high stress, especially if he slammed himself...

I hope he isn't one of those types of horses that has to have it his own way to be effective because I like the little horse...
I have no idea though I guess he's OK. Honestly, though, I am loathe to repeat anything friends tell me at the racetrack. Never know if it's public or private.

I hope he is still pointing to the Vosburgh. Or, perhaps, he is heading to Keeneland for the Phoenix. I really have no idea however.
Old 09-11-2006, 08:54 PM
Jerome Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaHoss9698
I actually like Fernando Jara, so this isn't a shot, but do you think Rusty makes a jock switch on Magical Ride?
Maybe G Watts would be better off making a trainer switch to his daughter.
Old 09-11-2006, 08:54 PM
Cunningham Racing

Quote:
Are you referring to Cotton Blossom?

I don't care what her breeding is...she's not much. Good luck to her down the road. I expect a mediocre third in the Tampa Bay Oaks if she lasts that long.
We'll see...I suspect they'll go to KEE for the Alcibaides too to stretch her out and leave Octave for the Frizette....we'll see..

I do like Paint Raid some, but I thought that Cotton Blossom looked oike a route filly in the flesh and is bred to be a route filly, yet she won a graded stakes at the Spa around one turn - and did so with a wide trip....not horrible credentials in a down year to this point in that division....

I think Magical Ride is the best of her generation to this point, but you won't be able to van her around two turns....