Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > The Charles Hatton Reading Room
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 05-06-2008, 09:28 AM
Churchill Downs

Andy,

Great post that really got me thinking.

I don't know exactly what word I would use to describe my feelings for this weekend's events. I think it is fair to say that, going into this year's race, there was a palpable sense of indifference about the Derby among racing fans. I read many such posts on this board. Perhaps it was the mediocrity of the field; perhaps it was the questions surrounding the favorite and his connections. I guess the problem is that, on a day that should be a celebration for the sport, it's that several of the problems that have haunted racing for the past few years came to the fore in the triumph of Big Brown and the tragedy of Eight Belles.

For example, we have a winning trainer who, if the people running racing were serious about cleaning it up, wouldn't have a trainer's license let alone be training a marvelously-talented horse possibly on the verge of racing immortality. (Having Richard Dutrow train a Triple Crown winner would be racing's equivalent of Barry Bonds holding the home run record.) In IEAH Stable, we have an example of yet another group of well-heeled owners who appear to have cast a blind eye towards their trainer's past misdeeds and, given their prior affiliation with Greg Martin, were probably drawn to Mr. Dutrow because of that reputation.

On yet another major race day, we have racing conducted on an artificially-created "fast" track that could only be described as a paved freeway (whether that contributed to Eight Belles' demise can't be stated for certain, but it probably didn't help). And for the past 72 hours, we have heard one commentator after another bemoan both the manner in which thoroughbreds are bred in this country and the permissive medication rules that apply to racing on a daily basis. These have been familiar refrains for years yet all that is generated seems to be talk and more talk; little meaningful action occurs.

I understand that, for now, there is a need to "circle the wagons" to denounce the misguided and ill-informed attacks from groups like PETA. But what happens after this "storm" passes? Perhaps Saturday's events will prove to be a wake-up call for the industry. In recent times, incidents such as Barbaro's death and the Breeders' Cup pic-6 scandal were also supposed to result in significant industry changes. However, if that history is any guide, industry leaders will hope that this "storm" too will pass and then go back to their comfortable ways. After all, if you were making a lot of money the way things are now, why would you want to meaningfully change anything?

As a lifelong fan of this great sport and a participant for the past five years as an owner and breeder, I am always hopeful that the good people in the sport - and I believe that they far outnumber the bad - will reclaim the high ground that constantly seems to be slipping away. Given the high takeout that we face as bettors and the tough financial odds that we face as owners (running for $1.2 billion in purses while spending over $2 billion in care for the horses), there is a certain level of irrational optimism that anyone associated with the game must possess. (Racing certainly isn't a place for those with a "glass half empty" perspective on life.) I simply hope that, at this critical juncture, we get more than "just words" from those leading our sport.
Old 05-06-2008, 09:29 AM
Steve Byk

Points taken about the public... However... They might understand it more if we were led by industry officials presenting a unified voice in response to the inane critiques, and were on the proactive offensive here. As usual, they aren't.

A few numbers from the 1996/2005 economic impact studies of the American Horse Council:

$112 Billion -- Racing's overall contribution to the GDP

$25 Billion -- Racing's Direct Value of Goods & Services

$1.9 Billion -- Taxes/Fees generated for Federal, State & Local Govt's.

1.4 Million -- Employed full time by Racing and Racing-related industries

And we have to listen on TV and radio as ignorant buffoons are allowed to relate Thoroughbred Racing to dog and cock fighting?
Old 05-06-2008, 09:39 AM
Newmarket

Steve, you're absolutely right about the lack of an industry voice.
The industry is marginalized because it is broken up into numerous fiefdoms making it impossible to represent itself to the public in a cohesive manner.
Old 05-06-2008, 09:48 AM
Jerome Park

Steve, those numbers represent the whole equine industry.

"The study reveals:

· An industry that is both large and economically diverse, as well as a key contributor to the overall fabric of the U.S. economy;

· Horse owners and industry suppliers, racetracks, and off-track betting operations, horse shows and other industry segments all generate discrete economic activity contributing to the vibrancy of the overall industry;

· Of the total economic impacts reported, approximately $32.0 billion is generated from the recreational segment; $28.8 billion from the showing segment and $26.1 billion is generated from the racing segment."

http://www.horsecouncil.org/2005%20J...%20Release.htm
Old 05-06-2008, 09:48 AM
Ak-Sar-Ben

Just curious, how does NTRA get paid? They seem useless in taking care of the problems in horse racing or its defense of it.
Old 05-06-2008, 10:01 AM
Hippodrome Bluebonnets

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackthroatedwind
So the Derby is over, and the best horse won, and the second best horse suffered a terrible tragedy. The winner is a very nice horse that has accomplished a great deal in a very short period of time while overcoming physical issues. He's also trained by someone who is understandably a lightning rod for attention....both positive and negative. He is also owned by a group in a similar boat. While I have certainly never been a great fan of some of what Dutrow has been involved with, I do think it's important to note that Big Brown ran a tremendous race in his debut, and he was not trained by Mr. Dutrow at that time. He is quite simply a very talented animal and dramatically superior to those that lined up against him Saturday. Many of us bet against him Saturday, myself included, knowing full well he was very possibly superior to his rivals, but we also felt given the post and his lack of experience, his undoing was more than possible. We were wrong.....he won with alarming ease. Personally, I always find a certain satisfaction in any race won by the best horse, and never moreso than in the Kentucky Derby.

But, people are angry. Trust me, I'm an angry guy, I understand. We're upset about what happened to Eight Belles and we're upset that this unfortunate incident is now being used by ignorant zealots with an agenda against this game that we love. And, even though we know they are wrong about most of what they speak, we sadly know there is at least a hint of truth in some of what they say ( truth, in all likelihood, that they don't even understand ). We're also frustrated that nobody in power in the industry has come out rationally, or almost nobody, to attempt to quell the hysteria by those outside the industry. I, too, am frustrated by this, but I also believe we should let them burn themselves out in a few days, and know that the game will go on regardless of their opportunistic ramblings. Just as I believe that a TC winner cannot " save racing ", I also believe that a tragedy in the TC series can't destroy it.

We're also frustrated that this Derby weekend was marred by infighting within the industry that dramatically affected the disemination of the Churchill Downs signal for betting purposes. We can't understand why the industry seems to continue to act in a way that is contrary to our interests, that is the racing fans who support the game, and even though many of us do understand and sympathize with the parties involved, it's hard not to be frustrated that all too often we seem to be the ones left out in the cold. It's easy to ask why can't the industry that we financially support, ever seem to listen to us. Even if we know that in some ways that's a massive oversimplification it's not unfair for us to be at least frustrated by the end result.

But I'm not frustrated. I'm happy that Belmont is open, and there's still eleven weeks left at that beautiful racetrack, and then there's six weeks at glorious Saratoga, followed by seven more at Belmont in the Fall. I'm happy that there's a great chance that in less than five weeks there will be a huge crowd at Belmont hoping for a TC and for a few weeks in NY people will actually care about horse racing. I'm happy that I'll be frustrated on a daily basis betting on the game I love. I'm happy that horse racing exists to give me something to bitch about. I'm happy that there will be many Pick-6s coming up for me to take tough beats betting. I'm happy that my life isn't as boring as those that haven't figured out how great this game is on a daily basis.
Well written Andy. I feel you have encapsulated the thoughts and frustrations everyone has been feeling, and will continue to feel as this great game does go on. Great post.
Old 05-06-2008, 01:28 PM
Belmont Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kasept
Points taken about the public... However... They might understand it more if we were led by industry officials presenting a unified voice in response to the inane critiques, and were on the proactive offensive here. As usual, they aren't.

A few numbers from the 1996/2005 economic impact studies of the American Horse Council:

$112 Billion -- Racing's overall contribution to the GDP

$25 Billion -- Racing's Direct Value of Goods & Services

$1.9 Billion -- Taxes/Fees generated for Federal, State & Local Govt's.

1.4 Million -- Employed full time by Racing and Racing-related industries

And we have to listen on TV and radio as ignorant buffoons are allowed to relate Thoroughbred Racing to dog and cock fighting?

I think the American Horse Council is basically a paid organization hired by "the industry" hence take whatever they have to say with a BIG grain of salt and reduce all the fig's 20%..
Old 05-06-2008, 02:29 PM
Jerome Park

Thanks. I appreciate the kind words but I think my greatest contribution was lost......

....I have paved the way for proof that at least one jockey can both read and write ( and type too! ).
Old 05-06-2008, 02:43 PM
Delaware Park

Quote:
Thanks. I appreciate the kind words but I think my greatest contribution was lost......

....I have paved the way for proof that at least one jockey can both read and write ( and type too! ).

Now THAT'S funny!!!
Old 05-06-2008, 02:43 PM
Keeneland

Quote:
"Couldn't be reached" and "Had no comment"
"Have the clean racing people run any ads explaining that giving a horse a Starbucks and a chocolate poppyseed muffin for breakfast would likely result in a ten year suspension for the trainer?" - Dr. Andrew Roberts
Old 05-06-2008, 02:53 PM
Hawthorne

Quote:

LOL!!!! That was a great piece Andy, very concise and heartfelt, Equidaily should post it on their site for all to read. I also saw Jill Byrne on Bill O'Reilly's show addressing charges of Horse Racing cruelty and she was very good as well, this thing will blow over again.
Old 05-06-2008, 03:06 PM
Steve Byk

Quote:
Originally Posted by freddymo
I think the American Horse Council is basically a paid organization hired by "the industry" hence take whatever they have to say with a BIG grain of salt and reduce all the fig's 20%..
Actually, they are a very important group that cuts across all equine areas and have quietly been very helpful to the thoroughbred game.
Old 05-06-2008, 03:20 PM
Sunshine Park

Horse racing will survive this like everything. Groups like PETA use these tragedies to raise money.

Horse racing does have a huge drug problem though. There is no denying it and the industry refuses to deal with it. Baseball had a similar problem and made some efforts. Until horse racing has universal rules about drug testing and until horse racing has random drug tests that test for EVERYTHING and are administered by a group like the federal government, it will be plagued with a reputation as a dirty sport.

In baseball the two biggest stars Clemens and Bonds are tainted. In horse racing the sport's two biggest stars are with two trainers that have been caught cheating multiple times. The horses are probably 100% clean but the way guys like Asmussen and Dutrow got the top owners to give them horses is due to their success rate. That success rate must be questioned. That is the way it is. Horse racing rewards cheating and until it doesn't the sport will be tossed right in there with boxing, cycling,and track and field.
Old 05-06-2008, 03:22 PM
Fairgrounds

Thank you to both Andy and Richard Migliore for your well put insights.

Richard...I had also immediately wondered about a possible heart attack and appreciate you taking the time to tell us what you saw from a position most of us here could never see. May the racing gods be with you and keep you safe, and may our sport recover from this tragic event and the nonsense that has ensued.

btw, BTW when are getting some more movies?
Old 05-06-2008, 10:18 PM
Pimlico

Thanks for sharing such positive thoughts. Its too bad that these types of thoughts or observations are to few and far between. It makes posts like this that much more appreciated.
Old 05-07-2008, 01:21 AM
Santa Anita

Thank you Betterthanhonor and Parsixfarm for your side of the fragmented state of horse racing in the USA. This seems to be a fair and balanced discussion on this thread.
Old 05-07-2008, 04:41 AM
Steve Byk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antitrust32
Steve, those numbers represent the whole equine industry. Of the total economic impacts reported, approximately $32.0 billion is generated from the recreational segment; $28.8 billion from the showing segment and $26.1 billion is generated from the racing segment."
That's the direct value figure I used ($25B in 1996). The figs quoted were culled from a Forbes article that used the figures from racing only.
Old 05-07-2008, 08:09 AM
Jerome Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kasept
That's the direct value figure I used ($25B in 1996). The figs quoted were culled from a Forbes article that used the figures from racing only.

Makes sense and thanks for explaining.
Old 05-07-2008, 12:26 PM
Hippodrome Bluebonnets

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaloWishingwell
Just curious, how does NTRA get paid? They seem useless in taking care of the problems in horse racing or its defense of it.

well if ntra wont do are say anything. how come t.o.b.a. isn't saying anything also.
Old 03-21-2010, 09:57 AM
Saratoga

Quote:
Originally Posted by FGFan
Thank you to both Andy and Richard Migliore for your well put insights.

Richard...I had also immediately wondered about a possible heart attack and appreciate you taking the time to tell us what you saw from a position most of us here could never see. May the racing gods be with you and keep you safe, and may our sport recover from this tragic event and the nonsense that has ensued.

btw, BTW when are getting some more movies?

Nice brown nosing.

How many points yew got fer that one?..What's the Bayers ?