Quote:
Originally Posted by sumitas

I truly hope the horse looked good. He was the sales topper after all

You catch on quick my man.
Old 03-21-2008, 01:10 PM
Santa Anita

DrugS
"The sales topper of a 460 page book."

LOL I had a delayed reaction to your humorous response to Rupert's observations.
Old 03-21-2008, 03:09 PM
Sha Tin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cajungator26
What's wrong with Birdstone as a sire, Bid?
I have a hard time believing that he will be a good sire simply based upon Grindstone. That coupled with the fact that he was not particularly nice from a physical standpoint is a lot to overcome. The ones that I actually looked at as yearlings were mostly uninspiring.
Old 03-21-2008, 03:13 PM
Oriental Park

The Bernstien had a bad throat.
Old 03-21-2008, 07:15 PM
Del Mar

Quote:
May I ask what you didn't like about hip 352?
I didn't like anything about her. I didn't think she could run. I didn't like her stride.
Old 03-21-2008, 07:21 PM
Keeneland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rupert Pupkin
I didn't like anything about her. I didn't think she could run. I didn't like her stride.
352 was a colt. Perhaps we're thinking about two different horses.
Old 03-21-2008, 07:29 PM
Del Mar

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgardn
Rupert if I might be so bold as to intrude with a question:
When you like a horse, you look at the horse as is (at present).

Do you ever look a these young horses and see some that
appear to be less developed but show some typical physical
signs that indicate as they get older, they have a good probability
of being better physically than the horses you see at present?

I ask this because helping kids as runners and basketball players
I see those that are much more physically mature than others now.
But some kids have yet to fully mature, they are very gawky looking
but there are clear signs that when they do mature, they have
a chance of being very good players and runners.

Are there gawky high potential horses?
If so what do you look for?
Or you dont really care because you are going
to probably sell them anyway?
Yes, everything you said is part of the scouting process. You consider what month they were born and how far along they are. If their knees are still open, they are going to need a couple of months to close. I mainly study the videos and am looking at their stride. I'm looking for smooth movers. I don't really care how fast they go. I like horses who change leads right on cue and do it effortlessly.
Old 03-21-2008, 07:36 PM
Del Mar

Quote:
352 was a colt. Perhaps we're thinking about two different horses.
There was only one Birdstone in the sale. The other two scratched. You are right that he is a colt and not a filly. He is hip #352. He just didn't look like a runner to me. I didn't like the way he moved.
Old 03-21-2008, 07:45 PM
pgardn

Quote:
Yes, everything you said is part of the scouting process. You consider what month they were born and how far along they are. If their knees are still open, they are going to need a couple of months to close. I mainly study the videos and am looking at their stride. I'm looking for smooth movers. I don't really care how fast they go. I like horses who change leads right on cue and do it effortlessly.
forget the pm.

Thanks.
Old 03-21-2008, 08:07 PM
Del Mar

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumitas

I truly hope the horse looked good. He was the sales topper after all
You'd be surprised at some of the horses that sell really well who don't look like they can run a lick. There was a Speighstown colt at Fasig Tipton Calder that sold for around $1.7 million. I didn't like the horse at all. I wouldn't have paid $100,000 for that horse.

By the way, you can't take the sales results at face value because there are so many secret deals and scams going on. You have trainers working as agents for their owners and buying $300,000 horses for $800,000 and then splitting the extra $500,000 with the consignor.

You have guys buying horses for $400,000 that they already owned before the sale. Let's say it was a horse that they bought for $70,000 as a yearling. They buy the horse back for $400,000 as a two year old and then they syndicate the horse with investors valuing the horse at $400,000. The investors don't know that the guy really bought the horse for $70,000 as a yearling.

There are so many deals going on at those sales that it is ridiculous. Many of the sales prices are phony.
Old 03-21-2008, 09:54 PM
The Curragh

Quote:
You'd be surprised at some of the horses that sell really well who don't look like they can run a lick. There was a Speighstown colt at Fasig Tipton Calder that sold for around $1.7 million. I didn't like the horse at all. I wouldn't have paid $100,000 for that horse.

By the way, you can't take the sales results at face value because there are so many secret deals and scams going on. You have trainers working as agents for their owners and buying $300,000 horses for $800,000 and then splitting the extra $500,000 with the consignor.

You have guys buying horses for $400,000 that they already owned before the sale. Let's say it was a horse that they bought for $70,000 as a yearling. They buy the horse back for $400,000 as a two year old and then they syndicate the horse with investors valuing the horse at $400,000. The investors don't know that the guy really bought the horse for $70,000 as a year

There are so many deals going on at those sales that it is ridiculous. Many of the sales prices are phony.
Those type of things couldn't possibly happen in this game.
Old 03-21-2008, 10:09 PM
Oaklawn

more than ready / silver deputy

what do you expect out of this horse ? miler or stretch out on grass?

leaning towards turf/synth or a dirt closer?
Old 03-22-2008, 01:54 PM
Del Mar

Quote:
May I ask what you didn't like about hip 352?
When I look at the Birdstone colt's video on-line, it looks alright. But you just don't get the same clarity on-line. When I watch the DVD on my television, I think he hits the ground really hard and his stride is just too much up and down instead of forward.

I can't even tell you how big the difference is watching the DVD on televsion. The clarity is just much better. There are horses who look good to me when I watch the videos on-line, but when I see the actual DVD, I don't like the horse at all.
Old 03-22-2008, 02:22 PM
Del Mar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby Fischer
more than ready / silver deputy

what do you expect out of this horse ? miler or stretch out on grass?

leaning towards turf/synth or a dirt closer?
It's hard to tell exactly how far he will run. I don't think he'll have a problem getting two-turns, but it's hard to tell if he will be able to get 1 1/4 miles.

With regard to what surface he will like, he worked awesome on the synthetic track at Ocala. So I would be extremely confident that he likes synthetic tracks. I don't see any reason why he wouldn't like regular dirt too. I have no idea whether he will like the grass or not. Some of the More Than Readys like it quite a bit.
Old 03-22-2008, 04:05 PM
Churchill Downs

I didn't like the Birdstone at all when I watched him on Windows Media Player, which doesn't have good video quality at all. He uses his knee way too much, and then comes straight down with it.

Cajun, a better way to watch the preview videos is to stream them through Bearshare. The window is smaller, but the quality is much better than a program like windows media player if you are using that. However, I still like the DVDs way better than online, but you have to either go to the sale to get them or you have to be a VIP in racing for them to pay the money to send you one.

I loved a particular horse at Fasig Tipton Calder last year when I watched his preview online. When I saw the same horse work on DVD, I didn't like the way he moved at all, and couldn't believe the difference of online vs. TV. Bearshare seems to work pretty good though...better than everything else online I have tried anyway.
Old 03-22-2008, 04:07 PM
Keeneland

Quote:
When I look at the Birdstone colt's video on-line, it looks alright. But you just don't get the same clarity on-line. When I watch the DVD on my television, I think he hits the ground really hard and his stride is just too much up and down instead of forward.

I can't even tell you how big the difference is watching the DVD on televsion. The clarity is just much better. There are horses who look good to me when I watch the videos on-line, but when I see the actual DVD, I don't like the horse at all.
Makes sense... I don't have the DVD, so I am only going off what I see online. He did look pretty 'turfy' (which is probably why I liked him.)
Old 03-20-2009, 08:12 PM
Steve Byk

While a rogue spammer unearthed this thread, I am curious how the hip numbers in question turned out... DougS???
Old 03-20-2009, 08:17 PM
Dee Tee Stables

oh, and look who's just a couple posts above-the infamous kyrim.
Old 03-21-2009, 01:04 PM
Flemington

Quote:
At the Ocala March Sale that just ended, I thought they had a very nice group of horses. There was one horse who was an absolute standout. If he's not a stakes horse, I will eat my Racing Form. Everything about this horse was perfect. He was my favorite on the videos and was Ron's favorite in person. We thought we might be able to get him for $350k but he ended up going too high. He went for $650k. He is Hip#373. He is by More Than Ready out of a Silver Deputy mare. I don't see horses like this too often. HE was an absolute standout. He was a pretty and powerful mover.

This horse is still unraced. Last workout came in Dec of last year at Oaklawn Park.
Old 03-21-2009, 01:06 PM
Flemington

Quote:
I loved one of the Dixie Union's (hip 456.) She was really nice. I liked the Birdstone colt a lot too.

The Dixie Union went for 500K. Hasn't hit the board in 3 starts for Kiaran McLaughlin.

The Birdstone went for 140K - 3rd and 4th in two lifetime starts in So Cal.