Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > The Charles Hatton Reading Room
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 12-10-2007, 11:34 AM
Gulfstream Park

Like the addition of the Turf Sprint. Should've been added this year.

Mixed on the Turf Juvenile Fillies. Might get 2 quality fillies and a field of 10, if they're lucky.

Don't like the 1 1/2 "Marathon". I'm in agreement with the majority in this thread......thinking we'll see more allowance than Breeder's Cup quality horses.
Old 12-10-2007, 11:37 AM
Jerome Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sightseek

If they really wanted to bring more Breeder's Cup to the second day, why not transfer the Steeplechase event to that day?

On the surface this is a good idea but it's tactically impossible as few turf courses are wide enough to run this race on only the outside part of the course and taking the fences down in time to run other turf races is a daunting task. Not impossible but perhaps unnecessarily difficult.

Theoretically Belmont could do this ( and they ran the BC Steeplechase there a week before the BC in 1990 ) as they have two turf courses.
Old 12-10-2007, 12:06 PM
Atlantic City Race Course

I'm sure Navesink River is around somewhere. He used to always win those goofy mile and 7/8's races that NYRA seems to card once or twice per year.
Old 12-10-2007, 12:22 PM
Santa Anita

He is in Saudi Arabia.
Old 12-10-2007, 12:32 PM
Hialeah Park

Well at least they chose the three races least likely to canibalize the other existing races. I don't have a problem with the races being added but don't see any reason for the purse to be anymore than $250,000 since they will draw the same fields regardless. If they had added a 10 furlong turf race that would have been a distaster.
Old 12-10-2007, 12:54 PM
The Curragh

Quote:
Originally Posted by SniperSB23
Well at least they chose the three races least likely to canibalize the other existing races. I don't have a problem with the races being added but don't see any reason for the purse to be anymore than $250,000 since they will draw the same fields regardless. If they had added a 10 furlong turf race that would have been a distaster.

Give them time..
Old 12-10-2007, 01:48 PM
Randwyck

I would prefer they have a non-graded stakes race at 6-1/2 furlongs down the hill as part of the BC undercard at Santa Anita.

I love the downhill sprints, but it makes no sense making this race part of the BC, since it can't be run next year, and there can't be any "prep" races for it anywhere besides Arcadia, CA.
Old 12-10-2007, 02:27 PM
Calder Race Course

This just in... A new race on Friday.

For 6 y.o. and up for Grey Horses only.

The "Gray Pride" Breeders Cup Stakes (GIII)
Old 12-10-2007, 02:29 PM
Keeneland

C'mon, I can't believe that those that decry the sturdiness and endurance of the TB racehorse are so against the return of races with some distance to them. The value placed on a baby 2-year-old being able to break 11 seconds in a training sale is silly, in my eyes.

Yes, watching (and betting) a 1 1/2 mile race is different than a California sprint. But I'm not fond of Quarter Horse racing, either.

The track secretaries agreed last year to start carding more 1 1/2 mile races, they reiterated to the BC Committee they are behind this, and will card appropriately throughout the year.

I'm very happy to see it. I agree with King Glorious and think King made some excellent points.

Do I think the sport is too geared to BC Championship day, at the expense of racing throughout the year? Absolutely. But that's a different concern than what distances should be offered to TB racehorses; and that doesn't mean I'm against an attempt to expand TB racing back to what it used to be, and providing longer races.

I'm more unhappy with the added carding of more short and intense sprints, than distance races, in regards to "what the breed is".

What is the difference between Hard Spun, Street Sense, and Curlin? Two will prove to be far more commercial than the third, for different reasons, and why is that? Why will Curlin be HOY? What is the extra-added value of Rags as a broodmare?
"Have the clean racing people run any ads explaining that giving a horse a Starbucks and a chocolate poppyseed muffin for breakfast would likely result in a ten year suspension for the trainer?" - Dr. Andrew Roberts
Old 12-10-2007, 02:31 PM
Belmont Park

I really see no need for the 1.5 mile affair. On the same token why not? Who cares
Old 12-10-2007, 02:36 PM
Keeneland

Quote:
Whats next, a race for greys only?
Hey, I like that race!
"Have the clean racing people run any ads explaining that giving a horse a Starbucks and a chocolate poppyseed muffin for breakfast would likely result in a ten year suspension for the trainer?" - Dr. Andrew Roberts
Old 12-10-2007, 02:49 PM
Jerome Park

Racing secretaries saying they will card distance races is not the same as making these races fill....and even if they fill ( what is " fill " these days in racing....six horses I guess ) they will be completely made up of claiming types. Now, I don't knock these horses, in fact I applaud them, as they are the ones that make the races go these days. However, we already have a championship day for them, and it's called the Claiming Crown. While I applaud the BC for realizing that it is in fact these fine animals that should be rewarded with a big race of their own, I think if they are going to do that, it is only fair that they card a full day of half million dollar races for the many valiant claimers making up the cards at all distances....and on all surfaces.

But, there's really a great deal of hypocracy to go around. Considering it was the BC itself that caused races to be cut back in distance it is a real side splitter that they now seek to create a race for the very types they helped diminish. Oh the great BC knows both benevolance and irony.....don't they?
Old 12-10-2007, 03:11 PM
Keeneland

Quote:
But, there's really a great deal of hypocracy to go around. Considering it was the BC itself that caused races to be cut back in distance it is a real side splitter that they now seek to create a race for the very types they helped diminish. Oh the great BC knows both benevolance and irony.....don't they?
Andy, your points are well-considered, and I agree with much of what you say - especially that last.

We are looking at this from two different viewpoints, and I may indeed be wearing rose-colored glasses. My first response was to look at the list of the top 25 sires in this country, and see whose progeny has become more valuable, what opportunities for genetic diversity now exist.

I will be listening to ATR a half-hour from now. Go git 'em!

Will also be very interested in hearing Lauren's perspective on this.
Old 12-10-2007, 03:18 PM
The Curragh

Hey if you think Malibu Moonshine will show up.....Evening Attire might like this new 12 F dirt race as well.
Old 12-10-2007, 03:49 PM
"The Kentucky Killing Machine"

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaHoss9698
I agree with Sumitas, this is a fine idea. I'd also like to see the Breeders Cup card a 3 furlong sprint. For the horses that can't go the grueling 6 panels of the Sprint. While they are at it, a race for horses ages 6 and up. Because really, how can we expect the old guys to compete with the young ones. I'm sure the quality of the races will be about the same.
i knew someday caller one would be a contender again..

http://www.drf.com/workoutsForHorseA...o?rNo=97027684
Old 12-10-2007, 03:52 PM
"The Kentucky Killing Machine"

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackthroatedwind
Racing secretaries saying they will card distance races is not the same as making these races fill....and even if they fill ( what is " fill " these days in racing....six horses I guess ) they will be completely made up of claiming types. Now, I don't knock these horses, in fact I applaud them, as they are the ones that make the races go these days. However, we already have a championship day for them, and it's called the Claiming Crown. While I applaud the BC for realizing that it is in fact these fine animals that should be rewarded with a big race of their own, I think if they are going to do that, it is only fair that they card a full day of half million dollar races for the many valiant claimers making up the cards at all distances....and on all surfaces.

win and your in 5k allw at churchill 1 mile and 1/2 on the dirt
Old 12-10-2007, 03:55 PM
Arlington Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackthroatedwind
The 1 1/2 mile race is actually an ingenious idea. It is so unbelievably stupid that it will deflect attention from the idiocy of the other two races.
Man, you were spot on in this prediction.
People in this thread have been so busy complaining about the 12f race that they have missed how absolutely stupid it is to have a juvenile turf race for filles. How completely ridiculous can you get?
I hate the Breeders' Cup a little more every year. This year's edition was an absolute joke, and next year's is going to be even worse. The best way to "save the sport" would be to do away with the whole stupid idea.
Old 12-10-2007, 03:58 PM
Jerome Park

It must have been Chip Tuttle's input.
Old 12-10-2007, 04:00 PM
Keeneland

Alot of you are doing exactly what you diss the TB industry for doing - looking solely at Breeders Cup day.
Old 12-10-2007, 04:01 PM
Newmarket

Just more action to add to the mix, no big deal with me.

http://www.hickoryhillhoff.blogspot.com/