Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > The Charles Hatton Reading Room
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 12-12-2007, 10:01 AM
Dee Tee Stables

Quote:
Originally Posted by miraja2
Give me a break. Just because something was introduced, and never removed, does NOT mean it must be a good thing. I'm sure we can all think of about 1 billion things in the world that have been introduced and not removed. By your logic those are all good ideas, because if they weren't....somebody would have removed them!
A thing's mere existence does not prove the worthiness of that existence.
what i was asking about was whether any race in the bc card ever was a failure, or removed after being added. that would indicate that they have made errors and corrected them. what races are a failure on the bc card, but remain?
Old 12-12-2007, 11:50 AM
Keeneland

Quote:
Originally Posted by miraja2
That strikes me as a strange sentence. You say that you have yet to hear a good example.....and then you name one.
It is also one (of the several) that have already been named on this thread (see response #81), so if you haven't seen an example, you simply haven't been reading very carefully.
The three horses named were La Traviata, Dream Rush, and Diamond Stripes.

Diamond Stripes ran in the Classic, I don't see why his name was brought up at all.

La Traviata, a 3-year-old filly with only 3 starts under her belt, who didn't even start racing until June, was supposed to run in October against the all-ages boys in the Sprint? A three-start filly, with one Grade 3 race under her belt, against older males in a Grade 1 race? She was considered for the Sprint, but was indeed pulled in favor of Friday. Thank goodness. Did that defection ruin the running of the Sprint? Doubtful.

Dream Rush, top of her division and also a three-year-old, was also supposed to run against the all-ages boys in the Sprint? Her owners never considered it. She wouldn't have been there at all if Friday's races didn't exist.

I think it a far better race, to see two promising three-year-old filly sprinters meet and run against each other, than to see them crushed by running against older males. Enough that a three-year-old is thrown in a race open to olders of her sex.

Not "good examples of how Friday race availability has ruined the Saturday entries and diluted the quality of the racing" in my book.
"Have the clean racing people run any ads explaining that giving a horse a Starbucks and a chocolate poppyseed muffin for breakfast would likely result in a ten year suspension for the trainer?" - Dr. Andrew Roberts
Old 12-12-2007, 11:59 AM
Keeneland

Okay guys. If the Breeders Cup could be restarted from scratch, what races would you include on the card?

I would have no 2-year-old races. Let them be "champions" starting in the fall of their three-year-old year, after they've proven themselves and have run for at least a year. Give the young turks something to shoot for, on the track and someday in the shed.
"Have the clean racing people run any ads explaining that giving a horse a Starbucks and a chocolate poppyseed muffin for breakfast would likely result in a ten year suspension for the trainer?" - Dr. Andrew Roberts
Old 12-14-2007, 05:49 AM
Keeneland

Good grief. Has anybody seen the DRF? Mike Welsch uses the term "marathon" twice in two headlines.

Please, somebody tell me this isn't a concious "editorial decision" from above to use these terms, made solely to support the Breeders Cup folks that think 1 1/2 miles is a "marathon"?

Maybe they can change the name of the Belmont Stakes to the Belmont Marathon.
Old 12-27-2007, 08:54 AM
Narragansett Park

I was perusing Equidaily and came across this post from 2003. Reading it now it looks like it could've been written around the time this thread was started.

http://www.equidaily.com/bestbet/fans/031112.html

Enjoy!
Old 01-11-2008, 12:25 PM
Flemington

Keeneland added a new Stake to their spring meet for the BC Marathon:

http://racing.bloodhorse.com/viewstory.asp?id=43097