Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > The Charles Hatton Reading Room
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-19-2007, 04:25 AM
Goodwood

Halfway through the Holly 6. Looks very tough to me.

They didn't help matters by starting it out with a State Bred 10k claimer and the third leg is a full field of 25k N2L with your usual dose of droppers, long layoffs and recent maiden winners. These two races sandwich a MSW grass race that looks pretty wide open.

Yikes. Gotta watch some replays tonight to help me narrow it down.
Old 06-19-2007, 10:05 AM
Oaklawn

Agreed on Hollywood. The problem is I am capping to the $2,500 ticket and I think I will end up liking what I come up with but then have to cut it down to a $150 ticket that I actually bet. That sux.
Old 06-19-2007, 10:17 AM
Goodwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rootdog1
Agreed on Hollywood. The problem is I am capping to the $2,500 ticket and I think I will end up liking what I come up with but then have to cut it down to a $150 ticket that I actually bet. That sux.
I am doing the opposite, I am capping for the ticket I will play and then I will add the others in that don't make the cut to get my $2,500 contest play. I think that way I'll second guess myself only slightly less.
Old 06-19-2007, 10:24 AM
The Curragh

Finished Belmont with a $2,800 set of tickets. Guess I will wait and see if scratches get me under budget. Otherwise I will have to get out the ax tomorrow.

I have $1,950 main ticket. And $850 in "C Horse" covers (two tickets).

Decided to pare down C horses and beef up main ticket a bit.

On to Holllywood...

Last edited by pmacdaddy : 06-19-2007 at 11:35 AM.
Old 06-19-2007, 10:41 AM
Steve Byk

Encourage those that are shy about questions to come forward.. Andy will be happy to explain ticket structure to you and how to build a mnain play and backups...

The concept is simple...

A's: Horses that must be on the tickets

B's: Horses that will be included on the main play

C's: Secondary choices that are included on the backup tix

X's: Horses eliminated from your plays
Old 06-19-2007, 11:11 AM
Oaklawn

I go first, What is the sequence - main ticket A/B and then A/C's and then ..............
Old 06-19-2007, 11:17 AM
Anothah Predetah

Andy/Steve/Others,

Thanks for taking the time to do this.

Do you have an idea of the number of horses you'll classify as "A's," or does it vary from card to card? In other words, do you want no more than 1 "A" per race, or no more than 8 over the course of the sequence, etc?

I have another question that's somewhat off topic, but does relate to multi-race wagers. Andy, you've talked about the placement of maiden races in the sequence, because of the importance of being able to see the board when betting those races in exotics. What do you recommend looking at most - is it strictly horses that are bet heavily, or would you base it more on early/late money, biggest movement from morning line, other factors?
Old 06-19-2007, 11:41 AM
Jerome Park

The number of A horses fluctuates based on the races and opinions. Since A horses directly affect the cost of back-up tickets they are an integral part of the cost of the overall play. In simple terms going from one A in a race to two As will pretty much double the cost of your back-ups. All this comes down to how you spend your money on individual horses. In other words, using one A in any race will significantly alter how much more money you can spend in other places. Every horse you add will essentially come at the expense of other horses you will either leave off or use for less money. This is why, for instance, in a race with a solid single, deciding to use a much lesser as an additional A can be a poor choice as it will cost you horses in other races that may be significantly more important to use. Playing, and hitting, these bets can be very much, and usually is, about ticket structure within bankroll. Our opinion will rarely be good enough for six races to get through just by being " handicapping smart. "

Your other question is a more complex one, as being " bet strongly " is relative to the horse's connections. Some horses are effectively dead on the board at 3-1 or 7-2 while others can be live at 8-1. The biggest issue I have with race placement is that while it will usually not be perfect, there are too many multi-race bets, tracks need to be much more concious of optimal race placement. Hopefully we will have worked out a strict plan for this at NYRA by the time Saratoga starts. I have had the conversation and this should be worked out.
Old 06-19-2007, 12:40 PM
Oaklawn

I'll throw a question out there...& please keep in mind I'm not a pick 6 bettor. I was thinking of constructing 6 tickets, each with one single in a different race w/who I think is the most likely winner. I'll spread out on the rest. Not sure how much I can do that at $400 apiece, but I'm just kicking ideas around in my head. Is this a bad idea?

Remember, there's no such thing as a stupid question, only stupid people that ask questions
Old 06-19-2007, 12:58 PM
Jerome Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninetoone
I'll throw a question out there...& please keep in mind I'm not a pick 6 bettor. I was thinking of constructing 6 tickets, each with one single in a different race w/who I think is the most likely winner. I'll spread out on the rest. Not sure how much I can do that at $400 apiece, but I'm just kicking ideas around in my head. Is this a bad idea?

Remember, there's no such thing as a stupid question, only stupid people that ask questions
You should play however works well for you. Your idea is a version of the A-B-C concept.

The only way to learn to play effectively is to try and at least by doing what you are suggesting it is an attempt to learn an effective way to play....which is basically the point of the contest.
Old 06-19-2007, 01:04 PM
Jerome Park

Andy,

How often do the back up tickets win compared to the main tickets? Is it worth it to play back up tickets?

P.s.- i do not know much about pick 6 betting.
Old 06-19-2007, 01:05 PM
Goodwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackthroatedwind
The biggest issue I have with race placement is that while it will usually not be perfect, there are too many multi-race bets, tracks need to be much more concious of optimal race placement. Hopefully we will have worked out a strict plan for this at NYRA by the time Saratoga starts. I have had the conversation and this should be worked out.
A champion for the people.

This issue has been a pet peeve of mine for quite some time (now, if we could only get Tampa to not take them off the turf in the middle of the P4 sequence, we'll really be getting somewhere).

Thank you, thank you, thank you.
Old 06-19-2007, 01:13 PM
Jerome Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antitrust32
Andy,

How often do the back up tickets win compared to the main tickets? Is it worth it to play back up tickets?

P.s.- i do not know much about pick 6 betting.

Most of the time all tickets lose.

I have hit two Pick-6s with back-ups. They win.....and are really just part of the entire play. The idea is to give yourself a chance to win if you are very right in five ( or even four ) legs.
Old 06-19-2007, 01:18 PM
5'8".. but all man!

Quote:
The number of A horses fluctuates based on the races and opinions. Since A horses directly affect the cost of back-up tickets they are an integral part of the cost of the overall play. In simple terms going from one A in a race to two As will pretty much double the cost of your back-ups. All this comes down to how you spend your money on individual horses. In other words, using one A in any race will significantly alter how much more money you can spend in other places. Every horse you add will essentially come at the expense of other horses you will either leave off or use for less money. This is why, for instance, in a race with a solid single, deciding to use a much lesser as an additional A can be a poor choice as it will cost you horses in other races that may be significantly more important to use. Playing, and hitting, these bets can be very much, and usually is, about ticket structure within bankroll. Our opinion will rarely be good enough for six races to get through just by being " handicapping smart. "

Your other question is a more complex one, as being " bet strongly " is relative to the horse's connections. Some horses are effectively dead on the board at 3-1 or 7-2 while others can be live at 8-1. The biggest issue I have with race placement is that while it will usually not be perfect, there are too many multi-race bets, tracks need to be much more concious of optimal race placement. Hopefully we will have worked out a strict plan for this at NYRA by the time Saratoga starts. I have had the conversation and this should be worked out.

Andy, does this mean you are not a fan of rolling pick 3's?
Old 06-19-2007, 01:26 PM
Jerome Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by GPK
Andy, does this mean you are not a fan of rolling pick 3's?

No, I am a big fan of them, and one major reason is it allows you to find the sequences that work for you.
Old 06-19-2007, 01:26 PM
Keeneland

Quote:
The idea is to give yourself a chance to win if you are very right in five ( or even four ) legs.
Okay, that number helps regarding establishing number of backups to construct.

I don't play P6, but like to play with ticket construction and see how I would have done (not well).

I end up thinking, "I'm fairly solid with this, but I think I"ll make one C backup singling that 15-1 with my A's just in case - but better include those 2 B's" - and then I look at my ticket construction grid, and I've got 15 tickets going before I know it ....

It's most difficult balancing the funds invested related to the risk of return - my tendency is to say, "what the hell, it's too confusing", and go back to combining everything onto less tickets. Then you lose the financial advantage of spreading most investment over likely, not less likely, horses.

Time to re-read Christs' book ....
Old 06-19-2007, 01:29 PM
5'8".. but all man!

Quote:
No, I am a big fan of them, and one major reason is it allows you to find the sequences that work for you.

what did you mean that there are too many multi race bets? Im confused.....as usual.
Old 06-19-2007, 01:31 PM
Newmarket

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigsmc
Halfway through the Holly 6. Looks very tough to me.

They didn't help matters by starting it out with a State Bred 10k claimer and the third leg is a full field of 25k N2L with your usual dose of droppers, long layoffs and recent maiden winners. These two races sandwich a MSW grass race that looks pretty wide open.

Yikes. Gotta watch some replays tonight to help me narrow it down.
good lord, I've been going through these races for two days now. its almost comical the variety of unknowns that are thrown at you. its like any horses hanging around the barn are entered. looks like some came out of retirement for this.
Old 06-19-2007, 01:34 PM
Keeneland

Maybe some of these carryovers shouldn't be played, no matter how tempting ... Isn't the point to attack it when you do have a strong opinion in 4-5 races?
Old 06-19-2007, 01:38 PM
Jerome Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by GPK
what did you mean that there are too many multi race bets? Im confused.....as usual.

There are too many multi race bets to have every race placed in a non-blind spot.

In other words, in NY you have two Pick-4s, one starting in the second race and one in the 6th, and a Pick-6 starting in the 4th. Well, obviously the second is a perfect place for a maiden race laden with first time starters ( these are pretty much the races we are talking about and this issue is specifically important during Saratoga where there are quite often two or even three of these races in a day ). However, after that it becomes problematic. Yes, if you have another the best place is the 4th race, as that begins the Pick-6. This is lousy for the early Pick-4 but there have to be compromises. The next best place is the 6th race as that is out of the first Pick-4 but begins the final Pick-4. This is lousy for the Pick-6 but once again it becomes a lesser of two evils. However, I prefer the 4th over the 6th if we have two races ( assuming we use the 2nd race for the other one ). The worst spots ( assuming a nine race card like we are discussing ) are the 5th race, as it is blind in both the early Pick-4 and Pick-6, and the 9th race as it is blind in both the Pick-6 and final Pick-4. Plus, the 9th race is a high handle race, and races laden with firsters generally attract lower handles. The two remaining spots are the 7th and 8th race, and the 8th is the feature so it won't come up and the 7th is less bad than the 5th because there is a 6-7 double so one could use that pool to see what firsters are taking action.

OK?