Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > The Charles Hatton Reading Room
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 06-23-2006, 12:00 PM
Churchill Downs

I have been going to the track for over a year now and I completely love it, my local track is small and it seems eveyone knows the "regulars" and I'm happy to say that I've become one of them (I'm not there every day but most of the people who work there know me). My friends and family know I'm obsessed with the races and I think they all believe that it's just a phase I'm going through - it isn't, I know I'll be into this for life... I just love the ponies
Old 06-23-2006, 12:39 PM
eurobounce

Horse Racing does not define who I am. It is one of many coponents that defines who I am. There are so many aspects of racing that it isnt funny. Just like anything in life, you cant let one thing ruin what is important to you in your life. Jimmy Johnson (football coach) actually divorced his wife because his life was football and he thought it wasnt fair to his wife or to himself. If you choose to make racing your life, make sure you let things and people who are important to you understand that they are going to come 2nd.

To me there are 3 apsects to horse racing. 1) My small ownership. This allows me to experience the wonder of seeing your horse start their 1st race. Seeing them cross the finish line 1st and getting your photo taken. Being a small owner is something truly special to me and it is something that I enjoy. 2) Gambling and Handicapping. I view this as a form of entertainment. My wife uses scrapbooking as a way for her to leave her life of a wife, mom and worker. It is her hobby that is hers. She doesnt wany anyone in the family to be part of it. It is hers and she wants it that way. To me gambling and going to the track is the same. It is my hobby. My way of relaxing. It allows me to escape the pressures of being a father, hubby and business owner. To me it is like going to the movies, going for a drive or going to the opera. 3) The Fan Side. This is the most important to me. I am a fan of racing 1st before owner and gambler. I love watching the horses. I like how they look, how they run. My heart breaks when I see a horse injured and my heart skips a beat when I see a truly wonder performace. I just love watching horses compete. Now, I could give up the ownership and gambling. I would just replace those with something else that I enjoy. But I could never give up being a fan of the sport.
Old 06-23-2006, 12:55 PM
Arlington Park

Default Oh, heck yes, but...

I think I spend 30 hours a week on horseraing. But to me, that's not all that much. Fortunately, I only sleep 4 hours a night, so I have a bit more time than most people to devote to my "interests." I really have only three interests... financial markets horse racing and whatever the hell my wife wants tme o do whenever the hell she wants me to do it. I work for myself as an employyee benefits consultant and also dabble in real estate, buying trashed out houses and townhouses, rehabbing them and reselling. My typical day:
4am: Wake up. Coffee brewed
4-6am: Markets, especially Far East
6-7am Gym
7-9am: Racing Form, Replays and get wife off to work, walk dog.
9-11am: Business Calls, visit clients, prospect, research real estate.
11-3 pm: Work on rehab project. As concession to my horse and financial markets interests, i always have internet service installed on at the home I'm working on.
3-6pm: Back home... markets, horses, benefits work.
6-10pm: Family time, walk dog
10-12: Tomorrows DRF and markets. Walk dog as needed.

I can take a day or a week off from racing and I never jones over it. If given a choice, I'd rather go see a good movie or play than go to the track. However, SentToStud does not do opera.

Family and Faith are first
Markets and horses are seond
I am third
Old 06-23-2006, 01:11 PM
oracle80

Quote:
Originally Posted by SentToStud
I think I spend 30 hours a week on horseraing. But to me, that's not all that much. Fortunately, I only sleep 4 hours a night, so I have a bit more time than most people to devote to my "interests." I really have only three interests... financial markets horse racing and whatever the hell my wife wants tme o do whenever the hell she wants me to do it. I work for myself as an employyee benefits consultant and also dabble in real estate, buying trashed out houses and townhouses, rehabbing them and reselling. My typical day:
4am: Wake up. Coffee brewed
4-6am: Markets, especially Far East
6-7am Gym
7-9am: Racing Form, Replays and get wife off to work, walk dog.
9-11am: Business Calls, visit clients, prospect, research real estate.
11-3 pm: Work on rehab project. As concession to my horse and financial markets interests, i always have internet service installed on at the home I'm working on.
3-6pm: Back home... markets, horses, benefits work.
6-10pm: Family time, walk dog
10-12: Tomorrows DRF and markets. Walk dog as needed.

I can take a day or a week off from racing and I never jones over it. If given a choice, I'd rather go see a good movie or play than go to the track. However, SentToStud does not do opera.

Family and Faith are first
Markets and horses are seond
I am third
Remarkably similiar values to mine. My day is similiar but where you have rehab you can add doing errands, yard work, etc, for some relatives and old folks. Ditto on the days off, not only can I handle them, I require them. I don't do opera either, but I love a good movie and dinner. Or in the summer a day at the lake followed by dinner, beer and a ballgame at night. Thats gonna beat any day at the track by a mile. As far as others who judge people in horses and what they think? The only guy I answer to is a Jewish carpenter. Everyone else can go and **** themselves if they wanna judge me.
Old 06-23-2006, 01:19 PM
The Curragh

Quote:
Originally Posted by oracle80
Remarkably similiar values to mine. My day is similiar but where you have rehab you can add doing errands, yard work, etc, for some relatives and old folks. Ditto on the days off, not only can I handle them, I require them. I don't do opera either, but I love a good movie and dinner. Or in the summer a day at the lake followed by dinner, beer and a ballgame at night. Thats gonna beat any day at the track by a mile. As far as others who judge people in horses and what they think? The only guy I answer to is a Jewish carpenter. Everyone else can go and **** themselves if they wanna judge me.

you answer to Sandy Goldstein? The Jewish carpenter
Old 06-23-2006, 01:24 PM
Arlington Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by oracle80
Used to love baseball at night back in Chicago, either Wrigley or Sox Park, but down here, it's just too humid at night in the summer to enjoy yourself. Gasping for air for three hours is not my idea of fun and my wife would rather chew off her foot than go to a game here. However, with average attendance here as it is, parking is never a problem.! Now,having revealed my daily schedule, I shall deviate today and am headed out for live action and the 3pm CRC first post! good luck 2day!!

ay, que vida muy bueno.
Old 06-23-2006, 01:39 PM
"The Kentucky Killing Machine"

Quote:
Originally Posted by SentToStud
Used to love baseball at night back in Chicago, either Wrigley or Sox Park, but down here, it's just too humid at night in the summer to enjoy yourself. Gasping for air for three hours is not my idea of fun and my wife would rather chew off her foot than go to a game here. However, with average attendance here as it is, parking is never a problem.! Now,having revealed my daily schedule, I shall deviate today and am headed out for live action and the 3pm CRC first post! good luck 2day!!

ay, que vida muy bueno.
good luck sent to..is w white still sending out good ones...
Old 06-26-2006, 06:20 PM
Randwyck

I think horse racing defines who I am , as it is all I have ever done besides the 2 years I lived in Hawaii. Most of my life revolves around race horses from getting up in the middle of the nite to go to work everyday , to planning when is the best time for me to take my vacation so I dont miss anything big happening. Not to say that my dedication to the "job" doesnt interfere with my personel life because sometimes it does but the people around me who know me best know that this is my passion and that I have a big sense of responsibilty when it comes my job.

Horses are like strawberries....they can go bad overnight. Charlie Whittingham
Old 01-15-2007, 04:07 PM
Flemington

This is such a great topic....

I guess if you were to ask people who know me best to pick a word they would associate most with me it would be "horseracing" or "fitness" so I guess that means something.

Horseracing not only brought wonderful people into my life but has made me challange myself in several ways. Once I became a racing fan there was this whole new world that I was introduced to and it was interesting...There are so many dynamics to the sport, from pedigrees, to handicapping to purely being captivated by the beauty of equine in front of you. Highs and Lows...I wanted to learn everything about everything. It's not an easy thing for a young woman to leave behind her job and try something new to discover what it is she wants in life, but if it wasn't for my love of racing, I would have not done this a few years ago. And although I did not stay living in Kentucky doing what I was doing, I learned that if I want something bad enough I can achieve it.

So maybe one thing can never define you, but it can enhance the person you are.
Old 01-15-2007, 05:03 PM
SteelKrtan

Define? no to me it's a damn drug A old trainer said to me it's like heroin once its in your blood thats it your doomed for life !!! Wow where to start live, sleep ,race & breed & even dream about the damn things !!!. Come from a non horse background never even bothered with horses until i met & married a jockey now she's teaching the youngsters & wants nothing to do with horses & im full on !!! ,I breed them but to me there is nothing better than watching a horse you have trained flashing past the winning post.
There are so many lows in this buisness that if you take to heart you will never make it but for all the downs when you pull out of the crap & get that rare (belivie me it is rare with the big trainers swallowing everything)
win there is nothing better. Oh well you do get the vidieo to watch over & over