Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-23-2006, 08:54 AM
"The Kentucky Killing Machine"

love dem ponys..like gpk..
Old 06-23-2006, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gander
I mean when a person thinks of you, do they immediately think of horse racing too? Some of my jerk off normal friends do. They, along with many others out there associate horse racing with gambling first and foremost. Cant really blame them as gambling does drive this sport unlike baseball or football, which is driven by fans simply buying tickets and jerseys.

It bothers me, yes. I had this guy come up to me who I hadnt seen since high school the day Giacomo won the Derby last year. It was at simulcast and the first thing he said to me was "Hey Tim, how are you man. You still betting horses", all with a cheesy drunken condescending tone. I was having a very bad day and I looked at him (his wife standing with him) and said, "Good Sean, how are you? You still selling drugs"? He got very mad and he and his 140 6-1 scrawny frame got in my face and the last thing I did was backdown. I was ready to deck the guy and I am not a violent person. He later apologized to me.

I think horse racing gets a very bad rap because of the gambling associated with it.
i dont even know what you look like..but we are always stuck in the memories of the past..thats why he said that ..and why you said what you did..
Old 06-23-2006, 09:02 AM
oracle80

Quote:
I mean when a person thinks of you, do they immediately think of horse racing too? Some of my jerk off normal friends do. They, along with many others out there associate horse racing with gambling first and foremost. Cant really blame them as gambling does drive this sport unlike baseball or football, which is driven by fans simply buying tickets and jerseys.

It bothers me, yes. I had this guy come up to me who I hadnt seen since high school the day Giacomo won the Derby last year. It was at simulcast and the first thing he said to me was "Hey Tim, how are you man. You still betting horses", all with a cheesy drunken condescending tone. I was having a very bad day and I looked at him (his wife standing with him) and said, "Good Sean, how are you? You still selling drugs"? He got very mad and he and his 140 6-1 scrawny frame got in my face and the last thing I did was backdown. I was ready to deck the guy and I am not a violent person. He later apologized to me.

I think horse racing gets a very bad rap because of the gambling associated with it.
Tim first of all I wish I was there when that guy said that, I would have been glad to have provoked him further then humiliate him on front of his wife.
Secondly, I truly think you have a problem understanding that everyone else does not think of the world like you do. The reason I say that is that you point to football and other sports and say that they are ticket driven and not associated with gambling? Are you on too much sugar today? See Tim you are like me, you and I love sports, truly LOVE them and can sit and watch wimbledon, the masters, the ncaa tourney, football and baseball without a penny on them(I never bet sports, have never had a bookie in my life, nor have I had an online account, sports are my greatest love and I don't need a penny on them to enjoy them or scream like a maniac). YOUr mistake is in thinking that everyone else is like you and I in that regard. GAMBLING DRIVES FOOTBALL!!! Without the gambling not as many peoiple watch it, the ratings are ****, and therefore no tv advertising money and not as much revenue for the teams. YOU really think that football isnt gambling drievn? My God Tim, a few years ago the league pushed back the starting times on the late games by 15 minutes. Wanna know why? Vegas and the bookies had customers who needed to know how the first games ended in order to see how they could bet the late games. You really think thats not why they didnt push back the games 15 minutes? WHy else would they do it? Its nonsense, the only difference is that the football gamblers sometimes hide behind teh cover that they are "just fans" and not gambling. They sit there white knuckled while the wifey is cooking dinner and pretend that they just care who wins the game, when in fact they bet it.
I
Old 06-23-2006, 09:02 AM
Del Mar

I said what I did because he was being an as-hole. He was drunk and trying to insult me in front of my friends. He was being very arrogant and he is lucky that I have a clear level head. This scumbag is a piece of trash who paid his way through life selling drugs. I have zero respect for anyone like this.
Old 06-23-2006, 09:04 AM
Woodbine

I may be a seasonal person. I also play golf, softball etc. I love all types of sports. I would say sports in general define a big part of me. Come the fall, when the NFL kicks in, I will be bouncing back and forth w/ Derbytrail and CBSSPORTSLINE CREEKDOGG FANTASY FOOTBALL!!! I finnally broke through after years of disapointment and won my first title last year. I was actually runner up in the other CREEKDOGG league, we have 2. Damn near won them both in the same season, instant hall of fame they said. Oh well. Back to racing, I love it. I always have. I am on a new level with it now thanks to DT, I pay more attention and have learned tons from many many people on here. Most will not hesitate to answer any questions and I have a lot of fun reading and posting on here. Kinda feel like a know a few people on here, even though in reality I guess I don't. I can tell you this, I pulled Saturdays PPs yesterday and began handicapping 2 days in advance! I NEVER would have done that before. If there was a REAL good reason why I had to give it up, I would. It would have to be a damn good one though. I have to be at the track when betting though. My friends make fun of me because I get so juiced during a race I am shaking for at least 5 minutes afterwards. GD it's great excitment!!! I'll give you the emotiocon gammit of my racing emotions....

Before the race
During the race
After the race (WIN)
After the race (loss)
Old 06-23-2006, 09:09 AM
Oaklawn

Quote:

Gambling does get a bad rap and it should be nothing more than a footnote to help paint the picture of who you are. I hope that it's not the first thing that people focus on when they remember me and if it is, I want them to mention the WINNERS before the tough beats. Save the losers for one last Should of, would of, could of and may he rest in peace.
Old 06-23-2006, 09:11 AM
5'8".. but all man!

Quote:
Originally Posted by whorstman
I may be a seasonal person. I also play golf, softball etc. I love all types of sports. I would say sports in general define a big part of me. Come the fall, when the NFL kicks in, I will be bouncing back and forth w/ Derbytrail and CBSSPORTSLINE CREEKDOGG FANTASY FOOTBALL!!! I finnally broke through after years of disapointment and won my first title last year. I was actually runner up in the other CREEKDOGG league, we have 2. Damn near won them both in the same season, instant hall of fame they said. Oh well. Back to racing, I love it. I always have. I am on a new level with it now thanks to DT, I pay more attention and have learned tons from many many people on here. Most will not hesitate to answer any questions and I have a lot of fun reading and posting on here. Kinda feel like a know a few people on here, even though in reality I guess I don't. I can tell you this, I pulled Saturdays PPs yesterday and began handicapping 2 days in advance! I NEVER would have done that before. If there was a REAL good reason why I had to give it up, I would. It would have to be a damn good one though. I have to be at the track when betting though. My friends make fun of me because I get so juiced during a race I am shaking for at least 5 minutes afterwards. GD it's great excitment!!! I'll give you the emotiocon gammit of my racing emotions....

Before the race
During the race
After the race (WIN)
After the race (loss)

Thats funny stuff...I remember going to the OTB about 2 months ago. It was the first time I had been in 5-6 weeks. I was so geeked up and ready to go. Mind you, it was over an hour drive for me to get there, so waaaay too much time on my hands. I called Gander about 10 minutes into my drive and told him I had to put in a CD of Sarah MacGlaughlin just to settle my nerves. Had I listened to my normal music, my emotions would have been shot before even walking in the doors at the OTB...LOL
Old 06-23-2006, 09:12 AM
Del Mar

Some of my good friends always bring up the day I hit the Monarchos Derby for 8 grand and I took them all out for drinks & food. I like it when it comes up in a good & fun way, but not in a negative way implying I am a loser. Theres just no need to insult people and hurt feelings. Life is too short.
Old 06-23-2006, 09:29 AM

unless your dwl or frankle not many outsiders would say.. this guy is horseracing..
Old 06-23-2006, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GPK
Thats funny stuff...I remember going to the OTB about 2 months ago. It was the first time I had been in 5-6 weeks. I was so geeked up and ready to go. Mind you, it was over an hour drive for me to get there, so waaaay too much time on my hands. I called Gander about 10 minutes into my drive and told him I had to put in a CD of Sarah MacGlaughlin just to settle my nerves. Had I listened to my normal music, my emotions would have been shot before even walking in the doors at the OTB...LOL
damn son that was your problem..alittle godsmack goes along way lol..there s no crying in h racing..lol
Old 06-23-2006, 09:47 AM
5'8".. but all man!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoovesupsideyourhead
damn son that was your problem..alittle godsmack goes along way lol..there s no crying in h racing..lol
Godsmack gets me too pumped...I would have been bouncing off the walls in the OTB....
Old 06-23-2006, 09:49 AM
Keeneland

It consumes me. I don't have a whole lot of money to gamble, but I enjoy the sport and I enjoy it mostly because of the horses themselves.
Old 06-23-2006, 10:21 AM
Bold Brooklynite

I don't bet much on the horses ... because I know that being a bettor is a full-time occupation ... if you don't have the time or desire to follow the races very closely day-after-day ... you shouldn't be betting ... because you'll never beat the 15%-25% take-out.

As the old song said ... I don't know why I love it ... but I do. I've been following thoroughbred racing closely for 49 years ... at least at the G1 level ... ever since Bold Ruler caught my fancy ... and the anticipation of seeing a great racehorse in action still grabs me.

Of course ... I haven't seen a really great horse since 1980 ... but I'm eternally the optimist.
Old 06-23-2006, 10:42 AM
The Curragh

Why does Horse Racing get a bad name? In my opinion this is why,

I remember my first trip to the track with my Mother. She was betting The Derby. We walked into Beulah and I was a "tad" nervous, I was probably 7 or 8 years old. Why? Anyone who has been to a track or simulcast facility knows why, the majority of customers are guys who don't bathe, no personal hygene whatsoever. Smoke everywhere, smells terrible. People screaming at the tv, cussing etc.. One trip thru the parking lot and what do you see? Beat up 1980's General Motors and Fords with trash spread all over the inside. So, if this is your first time going to the track what kinda taste will that leave in your mouth, not to mention smell on your clothing?

I can't believe Gambling gets the black eye it does. It's your money, do what you want with it. It's none of my business. Gambling only helps define those who allow it to. Its a part of me, not whole. I believe it's a part of everyone on here, not whole.
Old 06-23-2006, 10:44 AM
top predator.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2MinsToPost
Why does Horse Racing get a bad name? In my opinion this is why,

I remember my first trip to the track with my Mother. She was betting The Derby. We walked into Beulah and I was a "tad" nervous, I was probably 7 or 8 years old. Why? Anyone who has been to a track or simulcast facility knows why, the majority of customers are guys who don't bathe, no personal hygene whatsoever. Smoke everywhere, smells terrible. People screaming at the tv, cussing etc.. One trip thru the parking lot and what do you see? Beat up 1980's General Motors and Fords with trash spread all over the inside. So, if this is your first time going to the track what kinda taste will that leave in your mouth, not to mention smell on your clothing?

I can't believe Gambling gets the black eye it does. It's your money, do what you want with it. It's none of my business. Gambling only helps define those who allow it to. Its a part of me, not whole. I believe it's a part of everyone on here, not whole.
walk through the parking lot at Keeneland sometime...
Old 06-23-2006, 10:50 AM
The Curragh

Obviously this is not a fair look overall, but just what I have seen at my home tracks, Beulah and Scioto. Its the same people 360 days a year. The only time you see the new faces is the obvious days, Derby, Breeders Cup etc.. When I am there and see a new face I am shocked. I am especially shocked if I see them again.
Old 06-23-2006, 11:15 AM
top predator.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2MinsToPost
Obviously this is not a fair look overall, but just what I have seen at my home tracks, Beulah and Scioto. Its the same people 360 days a year. The only time you see the new faces is the obvious days, Derby, Breeders Cup etc.. When I am there and see a new face I am shocked. I am especially shocked if I see them again.
I guess I'm lucky in that my first trip to the track was Saratoga as a kid, more like a park then a track. but I've seen the guys you talk about too...
Old 06-23-2006, 11:19 AM
pgardn

Going back to the original question:

It is clearly a hobby for me.

But the animals are fantastic athletes and I think that is what many people miss by not going to the track, and or watching them work. I love the way the animals run. All this breeding stuff is interesting, but a huge side issue for me.

The gambling and the numbers allow the sport to take on a whole new life for me. It is also a study in people and habits. I love the numbers and the misuse of them. I love to watch people who have a thousand tickets in front of them after punching the machine to death. I love to listen to all the diff. folks talking about their stragtegies. The track itself is a very interesting place.
Old 06-23-2006, 11:27 AM
The Curragh

I am thankful in that I have found a place at my 2 home tracks where they don't put up with some of the nonesense, not too mention it is no smoking. Most definetly, the horse is the star of the show. It still every now and then gives me goosebumps when I am close to a horse in the paddock.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgardn
Going back to the original question:

It is clearly a hobby for me.

But the animals are fantastic athletes and I think that is what many people miss by not going to the track, and or watching them work. I love the way the animals run. All this breeding stuff is interesting, but a huge side issue for me.

The gambling and the numbers allow the sport to take on a whole new life for me. It is also a study in people and habits. I love the numbers and the misuse of them. I love to watch people who have a thousand tickets in front of them after punching the machine to death. I love to listen to all the diff. folks talking about their stragtegies. The track itself is a very interesting place.
Old 06-23-2006, 11:49 AM
The Curragh

Horse racing defintely does not define me, when I first started getting into the sport I thought it was a quick way to make a ton of cash. But as in the case with people who gamble that is defintely not the case. Instead it has become a way to connect and bond with my dad, gives us more things to talk about. In the past few months or so my interest has waned a bit, and I dont spend as much time as I should learning more about the game.