Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > The Charles Hatton Reading Room
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 06-22-2006, 04:22 PM
Del Mar

Default Does horse racing define you?

Ever think about what your life would be like without horse racing?

Does it make you part or all of who you are?

For some its a weekend hobby, for others its a career in some way or another, for some its a vice that interferes with relationships and personal goals.

You tell me. Who are you?
Old 06-22-2006, 04:23 PM
Del Mar

Do you make excuses to justify the gambling and the being at the track all day? Could you give it up if you had to?
Old 06-22-2006, 04:30 PM
5'8".. but all man!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gander

For some its a weekend hobby, for others its a career in some way or another, for some its a vice that interferes with relationships and personal goals.

It consumes my every thought.
Old 06-22-2006, 04:31 PM
Hialeah Park

Quote:
Do you make excuses to justify the gambling and the being at the track all day? Could you give it up if you had to?
Tim,
As you know, I don't have to be at the track to gamble.
Heck, when it stands and nurses I've already made a substantial investment.
I love so much about it, in addition to the track.
The smell of fresh hay, and even the smell of the stalls.

Could I give it up?
Geesh, that would be very tough.
It's a very big part of my life.
It demands the best of me.
Gotta love the challenge...the adrenaline.

DTS
Old 06-22-2006, 04:33 PM
5'8".. but all man!

Well, I just scheduled my surgery for the 19th of July. As of July 1 I am unemployed. I have already thought about how many of those 18 days will be spent at the Colonial Downs track/OTB.

Any over/under on the # of days??????
Old 06-22-2006, 04:35 PM
oracle80

Quote:
Originally Posted by GPK
Well, I just scheduled my surgery for the 19th of July. As of July 1 I am unemployed. I have already thought about how many of those 18 days will be spent at the Colonial Downs track/OTB.

Any over/under on the # of days??????
Hmm, Im gonna say 14.
Old 06-22-2006, 04:40 PM
5'8".. but all man!

Quote:
Originally Posted by oracle80
Hmm, Im gonna say 14.
thats about right....because I am gonna be gone for 4 days on a mini vacation with the girl
Old 06-22-2006, 04:40 PM
Hialeah Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by oracle80
Hmm, Im gonna say 14.
16 is about close
Old 06-22-2006, 04:48 PM
5'8".. but all man!

*note to self....no employment = no income*
Old 06-22-2006, 05:48 PM
The Curragh

What a great set of questions. For me now this is what Horse Racing does for me -

Takes me to another place. I swear to each and every person who might read this, there is nothing now on this earth that brings me satisfaction (of course sex is the obvious) to the extent that spending an hour or two on a Friday night with the DRF, playing a Pick 3 or 4, and cashing provides.

This is what I so love about this industry from my perspective as a gambler - It provides one with the chance to use some intellect while gambling to score.

Quote:

Old 06-22-2006, 06:38 PM
Del Mar

Default Horses are my life...horses are life

I use to hitch hike to the Big T when I was 14. I had my high school senior scheule arranged so I'd make 1st post. I've been to the Derby 7 times and about every race track in the US and several in England. I now treck to Saratoga every year I can 8 out of the last 10 years.

36 years later I have seen that the track has molded me as a person in a very positive way. Each day at the track is a microcausium of life itself. You have winners and losers, you compete against the same people that are your best friends, the puzzles of each race (always different) are like each day you awake and each challenge you face in life.

Living in SC I got away from the ponies only to find them again bigger and better on the internet. Reading the form (I use brisnet) is the anaylical brain excersise that keeps me young and drives me beyond the finish line to each of lifes challenges.

We are a rare breed, especially those of us that love the game to be sitting here now doing this instead of hundreds of other things. In the end, my life is so much better for the challenge. If life is about the journey and not the end result it's a joy to know that it's 5 minutes to post time somewhere in the world right now and always.

Yea, I could quit horse racing and I could quit breathing. I don't see much pay off in either.

Spyder from SC
Old 06-22-2006, 06:44 PM
Arlington Park

uhhhh........no it does not define me. I think if a person has any ONE thing that defines them, they may need help.
Old 06-22-2006, 06:45 PM
5'8".. but all man!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSpyder
I use to hitch hike to the Big T when I was 14. I had my high school senior scheule arranged so I'd make 1st post. I've been to the Derby 7 times and about every race track in the US and several in England. I now treck to Saratoga every year I can 8 out of the last 10 years.

36 years later I have seen that the track has molded me as a person in a very positive way. Each day at the track is a microcausium of life itself. You have winners and losers, you compete against the same people that are your best friends, the puzzles of each race (always different) are like each day you awake and each challenge you face in life.

Living in SC I got away from the ponies only to find them again bigger and better on the internet. Reading the form (I use brisnet) is the anaylical brain excersise that keeps me young and drives me beyond the finish line to each of lifes challenges.

We are a rare breed, especially those of us that love the game to be sitting here now doing this instead of hundreds of other things. In the end, my life is so much better for the challenge. If life is about the journey and not the end result it's a joy to know that it's 5 minutes to post time somewhere in the world right now and always.

Yea, I could quit horse racing and I could quit breathing. I don't see much pay off in either.

Spyder from SC
I think I just shed a tear....BRAVO.....(whistles).....bravo
Old 06-22-2006, 07:18 PM
Idlewild Airport

I don't know that define is the word Tim was looking for. Frankly, if you have taken the time to find a horse racing message board and are a regular poster, than you aren't like most horse racing fans. Secondly, there are a group of people at the track who are there simply to gamble, i.e. they would be gambling on dogs or anything else if it was within driving distance. Then there are those who love horse racing and therefore gamble on it.

I can't envision my life without horse racing in it, but it doesn't define me. It takes up more of my time than any other hobby I have by far. But I feel like its quality time if I can make a buck at it....But the fact that Breeders Cup Day is my favorite day of the year times 10 makes it obvious that horse racing is more than a simple vice. Just a great game.
Old 06-22-2006, 07:23 PM
Churchill Downs

It is my principal hobby, but that's what it is. I spend time almost everyday thinking about racing, reading books on the sport, or just trolling over here at Derby Trail. However, I have a family, own a business, and still enjoy other activities such as golf and going to football, basketball, baseball games, etc., so no, it doesn't define me.
Old 06-22-2006, 07:26 PM
oracle80

Quote:
Originally Posted by randallscott35
I don't know that define is the word Tim was looking for. Frankly, if you have taken the time to find a horse racing message board and are a regular poster, than you aren't like most horse racing fans. Secondly, there are a group of people at the track who are there simply to gamble, i.e. they would be gambling on dogs or anything else if it was within driving distance. Then there are those who love horse racing and therefore gamble on it.

I can't envision my life without horse racing in it, but it doesn't define me. It takes up more of my time than any other hobby I have by far. But I feel like its quality time if I can make a buck at it....But the fact that Breeders Cup Day is my favorite day of the year times 10 makes it obvious that horse racing is more than a simple vice. Just a great game.
I echo a lot of what Randall said but would add a few things. To "define" someone is a label thats just about impossible to assign without knowledge of another person completely. I'd have to say that anyoen who is defined by one thing in life has a very empty existence.
Life is completely bland when you only care about one thing. This is a horse racing board so thats what we basically speak about. I'm sure that I, like others, reach a point in the day when we have just had enough. Politics, movies, reading, sports, just so many other things hold my interest. Then of course we all have duties or responsibilities in life that we don't choose, they are just there and must be performed. Horse racing is something I have great passion for, but too much of anything will make you sour on it.
I think that many only view racing as a gambling outlet. These are the folks who are constantly bitter about the game and speak a lot of negativity about it. Some of us can watch races or handicap a card as a mental exercise and enjoy it without betting. Some of us really get pumped up watching a great horse like Ghostzapper run just to see him perform. The fact that he is 1-9 is meaningless. There are a lot of races to bet every day but so rarely do you get to see a great animal run.
I think thats what seperates the people here, some with passion for the sport,and some who only view it as gambling.
Old 06-22-2006, 07:34 PM
Randwyck

Quote:
Originally Posted by GPK
*note to self....no employment = no income*
Isnt that what the girl's for?
I am just kidding, of course.

Follow me with the Rays grounds crew at
https://twitter.com/TripleCrown59
www.facebook.com/TripleCrown59

K&S pics-
http://share.shutterfly.com/action/w...0BYtWrhw2csXLA
Old 06-22-2006, 07:39 PM
Randwyck

I don't gamble on anything but horses. In fact....I didn't gamble until I got better at 'capping. I still suck...just not as much.

Follow me with the Rays grounds crew at
https://twitter.com/TripleCrown59
www.facebook.com/TripleCrown59

K&S pics-
http://share.shutterfly.com/action/w...0BYtWrhw2csXLA
Old 06-22-2006, 07:39 PM
5'8".. but all man!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 31lengths
Isnt that what the girl's for?
I am just kidding, of course.

She has made it clear that there is no need for me to rush back into finding a job after surgery. But I can't just sit around....I will go ape****
Old 06-22-2006, 07:43 PM
Sheepshead Bay

It's my main hobby and interest, I bet mainly on weekends, but even when not betting, I read and try to learn all that I can. I don't golf or have any other expensive hobbies, so I don't feel the least bit guilty betting, I figure if I golfed I probably would spend more money with little return. There's nothing better than picking up a Form on Friday and looking at it all day at work and seeing all of the races and getting excited, putting together tickets. Also, my dad loves horse racing, so it gives him and I something to talk about, so that's pretty cool. Also, my best friend is into racing as much as I am, he's very busy, with 2 kids and a wife, it gives him a release as well. He's taught me a ton, but now that I have more time than him, I keep him up to date on alot of stuff.