Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Triple Crown Topics/Archive..
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 02-14-2009, 05:21 PM
Saratoga

Default 2/16 (OP): Southwest S. (Gr. III)

9th (5:02) Southwest S. (G3)

1 Mile | Open | 3 Year Olds Stakes | Purse: $250,000

1 Retap Quinonez L S 117 L
2 Loch Dubh Court J K 117 L
3 Silver City Mena M 117 L
4 Gresham Borel C H 117 L
5 Old Fashioned Dominguez R A 119 L
6 Buzzin and Dreamin Ocampo I 115 L
7 Flat Out Garcia J A 119 L
8 Professor Z Emigh C A 117 L
9 Poltergeist Hamilton Q 117 L
10 Silver Bayer Thompson T J 115 L
11 Kick On Tohill K S 119 L

Last edited by Kasept : 02-14-2009 at 09:14 PM.
Old 02-14-2009, 05:22 PM
Saratoga

Oh yeah... Poltergeist.

(Thought I forgot something...)
Old 02-14-2009, 09:02 PM
Hippodrome Bluebonnets

Old Fanshioned Will be yough to beat. My Money is on Silver City since the 1 Mile at Oaklawn is 2 turns speed holds up pretty good. Poltergeist is where the smart money is going but he was an alright winner at 1st asking here in early Jan. I just don't think he's ready for the other two just yet.
Old 02-15-2009, 03:45 PM
Sheepshead Bay

If there be an upset..... second vote for silver city.... should handle the distance and calhoun needs a derby horse.... ..... hello!!!!!
Old 02-15-2009, 03:51 PM
Atlantic City Race Course

Quote:
Originally Posted by swedejxn
If there be an upset..... second vote for silver city.... should handle the distance and calhoun needs a derby horse.... ..... hello!!!!!
Make it three....if anyone beats Old Fashioned, I think it's this guy.
Old 02-15-2009, 04:03 PM
Steve Byk

After the top 2, Poltergeist and Flat Out are the next of interest. (And think about how much fun this race would have ben had Square Eddie been OK to go...)

I've gotten very attached to this Flat Out for no particular reason. Strikes me as this year's model of Golden Yank with Flat Out trainer Scooter Dickey = Yank's Gary Thomas...
Old 02-15-2009, 04:59 PM
Super Mod.. and Super Fly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kasept
After the top 2, Poltergeist and Flat Out are the next of interest. (And think about how much fun this race would have ben had Square Eddie been OK to go...)

I've gotten very attached to this Flat Out for no particular reason. Strikes me as this year's model of Golden Yank with Flat Out trainer Scooter Dickey = Yank's Gary Thomas...
I agree. It's tough to see past those four. Flat Out's done nothing wrong, and I'll try to get him into the exacta.
Old 02-15-2009, 05:54 PM
Dee Tee Stables

Quote:

i'm using poltergeist and flat out in the contest, not that that has anything to do with real money. i like flat out, but also liked that poltergeist shaved a full second off of flat outs time at this distance. old fashioned of course is the obvious choice, but races like the fritchie show why you look to beat the fave, and sometimes do so!

i saw rachel alexandra won her race today as expected..
Old 02-15-2009, 05:55 PM
Dee Tee Stables

Quote:
Originally Posted by ateamstupid
I agree. It's tough to see past those four. Flat Out's done nothing wrong, and I'll try to get him into the exacta.

i think he may just reward you....i need to make sure i get home in time to watch this.
Old 02-15-2009, 07:49 PM
Aqueduct

Silver City might be legit speed but he has to deal with not only Old Fashioned but cheap speed Professor Z.

I think Old Fashioned has enough class and ability to run well and win the race but the closers Flat Out and Polterguist will make this race interesting. Of the latter two I think Flat Out is the better of the two.

In light of all the BS that went on after Eight Belle's broke down I'm rooting for Larry Jones to have a big horse who wins TC races. So far Old Fashioned looks like he could be that horse. However it all depends if he's matured since running as a two year old. The works say yes, but if there's a race that he might be a bit short this one is it.

That being said I think he is the real deal and will run very well. I'm going to box him in an exacta with Flat Out and maybe a three horse box adding Silver City. I'm rooting for Old Fashioned as I can't think of a more deserving trainer having a big time horse for the Derby than Larry Jones.
Old 02-15-2009, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pick4
That being said I think he is the real deal and will run very well. I'm going to box him in an exacta with Flat Out and maybe a three horse box adding Silver City. I'm rooting for Old Fashioned as I can't think of a more deserving trainer having a big time horse for the Derby than Larry Jones.
I don't understand the universal love for Larry Jones. The dude is Marty Wolfson Lite. And Old Fashioned looks like quite the useful horse, but he got away with murder against nobody in the Remsen and coasted home as he should've. I'm reserving judgment.
Old 02-15-2009, 08:17 PM
Les Bois

Default Read the Footnotes /Second of June

Anyone see flashbacks of Second June/ Read the Footnotes. Greatest race ever but the horses were never the same. Old Fashioned better be able to rate, because if its a duel.....
Old 02-15-2009, 08:24 PM
Aqueduct

Quote:
I don't understand the universal love for Larry Jones. The dude is Marty Wolfson Lite. And Old Fashioned looks like quite the useful horse, but he got away with murder against nobody in the Remsen and coasted home as he should've. I'm reserving judgment.
In retrospect he probably ran against a bad field in the Remsen but he beat them the way a good horse should.

I know Marty Wolfson is a trainer who is very successful but I haven't followed him closely enough to qualify Larry Jones as Marty Lite.

I'm basing my judgement on Jones on the way he conducted himself after Eight Belle's broke down. He was straight forward and handled the situation and himself with dignity, honor, and a bit of humility. In addition he had PETA put out a half baked campaign against him which painted him as a bad guy. He presented himself and horse racing very well when everyone was bashing the sport in the weeks after that tragic breakdown.

We're going to find out about Old Fashioned in the next few months. Maybe he's good enough or maybe he's not. At least we're on the downside of February and the serious TC candidates will start letting us know that they have arrived.
Old 02-15-2009, 08:39 PM
Havre de Grace

Quote:
What makes you call him Marty Wolfson Lite? It's one thing if you don't like Old Fashioned but that's a hard statement to back up.

In 25 years of training horses Jones has been suspended once for a clenbuterol positive last summer at Delaware. He has also not had a number of miraculous move-ups like Wolfson.

He didn't deserve to have to deal with most of the crap last year from Eight Belles going down but he handled it like a gentleman.

NT
Old 02-16-2009, 07:34 AM
Turf Paradise

Quote:

Steve...like you I am very attached to Flat Out as well. Heard this was a very nice horse last fall at CD....Have a KY Derby Future from Wynn at 225-1!!! I just hope he finishes on his feet and continues to move forward.
Old 02-16-2009, 08:00 AM
Dee Tee Stables

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDank34
Steve...like you I am very attached to Flat Out as well. Heard this was a very nice horse last fall at CD....Have a KY Derby Future from Wynn at 225-1!!! I just hope he finishes on his feet and continues to move forward.
wow, good luck!
Old 02-16-2009, 10:59 AM
Oaklawn

Quote:
I don't think he's the craziest pick by any stretch. He's done very little wrong, beat a few of these closing going a mile, and figures to have pace today. He's certainly capable of running in the 90's and has a post advantage over Poltergeist. OF is looking at a nifty setup today, but this guy is too if he runs his race.
Old 02-16-2009, 11:00 AM
Oaklawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDank34
Wow! I didn't see your post before posting in response to Steve... but he's bred to go a distance and closing going one mile at Oak in your first start around two turns... he could be any kind. Love the methodical works too.
Old 02-16-2009, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NTamm1215
What makes you call him Marty Wolfson Lite? It's one thing if you don't like Old Fashioned but that's a hard statement to back up.

In 25 years of training horses Jones has been suspended once for a clenbuterol positive last summer at Delaware. He has also not had a number of miraculous move-ups like Wolfson.

He didn't deserve to have to deal with most of the crap last year from Eight Belles going down but he handled it like a gentleman.

NT
Yeah, I went a little overboard, but I find it hard to have a ton of respect for anybody that's based in the land of make believe (Delaware). Plus it was a little fishy to me how Eight Belles transformed from mediocre allowance horse into superstar filly in like a month or two. Jones certainly seems like a nice guy, but I have a hard time believing he's Mr. Clean, and to say that he's "the most deserving trainer" of having a Kentucky Derby contender is weird.
Old 02-16-2009, 02:32 PM
Havre de Grace

Quote:
Yeah, I went a little overboard, but I find it hard to have a ton of respect for anybody that's based in the land of make believe (Delaware). Plus it was a little fishy to me how Eight Belles transformed from mediocre allowance horse into superstar filly in like a month or two. Jones certainly seems like a nice guy, but I have a hard time believing he's Mr. Clean, and to say that he's "the most deserving trainer" of having a Kentucky Derby contender is weird.
I don't get into the "most deserving" crap. Especially when it comes to trainers.

If Old Fashioned wins today and looks decent it's safe to say Jones will be the most likely to have multiple contenders in the gate.

NT